Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Old Photo thread here

I'm rebooting some of the oldest megathreads. This one is loving ancient. RIP old thread, you were cool.

Post pictures in this thread or I'll probate you.

Oh and don't hotlink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Rules were made to be broken.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goddamn. Yours? That's slick as poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Heh, was coming back to comment on you being soft on crime.

The funny thing is I'd give myself a sixer for that if I loving could.

Not being able to probate myself is the most annoying poo poo ever.

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I have an appointment to have my 16 year old dog put down on the 23

gently caress man, I'm really sorry to hear that. Give 'em some extra pats for me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

My dad is getting pretty old and can't stand steadily enough for trap and skeet so his christmas present this year was a lightweight wheelchair.

He's calling it his war wagon. lol

Is that a camo shotgun scabbard on the side of it?

Because if so your dad rocks and you are a good kid.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

whats with the diamond on the butt stock of the snooper nagant?

another ar picture

No idea. Looks like a brass plaque or something but I can't zoom in enough to see. I'm going to guess some kind of "congrats on killing a bunch of guys" award or . . . something. His rifle shows a lot more finish wear and use than the guy standing next to him. It's also one of the oddball scope mounts before they really settled on the PPU.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guttlesswonder posted:

I have had this for a while. Never taken it out, but it is my favorite old school piece.

Somewhere sixgun just got a boner and he doesn't know why.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

hi I'm gonna eat a no-picture probation just to say that yes, the reactive target facehugger egg was cool as hell

Nah, it's cool enough it gets a pass.

I remember showing that to my best friend from grad school (who is a huge aliens fan, and my shooting buddy at the time) and it blew his loving mind. Just amazed someone could pull that off.

So, for whatever it's worth, you are a Cool Motherfucker in the books of someone who's now a tenured german history prof.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

Wait, tenure track, or full tenure? My sincerest congratulations regardless; academic job hunt hell is never pleasant.

TT, he comes up for review next year, and all indications are that he's going to get it.

He landed really, really well.

edit: I know many, many other people that bailed the gently caress out without making it. He's part of a pretty small group and frankly it doesn't even come down to his research or teaching being better than anyone else's.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

Oh, it's your friend. I thought you were quietly announcing that you'd secured such a position for yourself.

Oh god no. I gave up on that dream about two years ago. I"m one of the many academic failures littering the side of the interstate. I'm well into private sector employment now.

I really do miss teaching, but the academy can go gently caress itself. I worked too long for too little with zero recognition of anything I ever did, either financial or otherwise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You know, if you like HK and want classy wood you could look into another Oberndorf company with shared lineage with HK . . .

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamnit thought I was in the HK thread.

Here have two since I can’t loving probate myself any more.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, if you're a heretic who places no value in a firearm coming from Oberndorf, gun mecca, blessed home of his holiness Paul Mauser (PBUH) then, sure.

Edit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

You just cannot stop making posts without pictures in this thread, can you?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Raptor1033 posted:

Couldn't decide where to post this but figured this was the most applicable. I've got about 50 pages of cursive to slowly make my way through.

lol is it just me or is the last bit of that a wink wink nudge nudge about using it to make a fake ID, possibly for escape purposes?

also, cross post that to the milhist thread in A/T. They'd love it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Oh hey, I got one of those last week!

I couldn't figure out why my last round hold open wasn't working so I started reading Luger forums and saw a bunch of people complaining about missing hold open latches. Started to freak out since I guess those things need to be hand fitted, but after more reading apparently the commercial models don't have that feature. So that's disappointing...at least I didn't buy a broken gun?

Haven't shot it yet, I'm scared - it's 104 years old. Should I be looking for some kind of light loads to test it out first, or just go for it with whatever standard 115g I have on hand?

First off, picture so I don't forget this time:

(It's also a Luger. It's name is Georg)

Anyways, the gun should be fine. It doesn't look like it's hosed from rust or anything so I wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, I shot a 106 year old rifle last week and am planning on shooting a 141 year old rifle in a few months (need to order some stuff).

The main bits to really take a look at are the firing pin/striker (there is a little ledge under it that can shear off) and the extractor. If those parts are numbered on your gun and they match I would probably swap in some replacements eventually just to be on the safe side. Running a few boxes through before you do won't hurt anything, but it's still a point of failure. There are other parts like the toggle that can break, but that's usually wen using way too hot ammo.

Speaking of ammo, I'd stick with brass cased ammo. I've read about the ejectors chipping on steel ammo cases. I don't know the truth of that, but it's not like brass cased 9mm is hard to find so whatever. Just avoid really hot ammo. Years back the thing to warn people about was surplus SMG ammo or the Israeli "NATO" marked rounds. These days I'd avoid that if you stumble across it, but really just don't go putting +P+ defensive loads through it. I tend to reach for WWB. It's poo poo ammo, but it's also pretty gentle.

If you have trouble cycling your gun you might need to get beefier ammo. There's a bit of a myth about it needing the really hot poo poo, which caused a lot of guns to get damaged with SMG ammo over the years, but the springs were calibrated for stronger loads than the typical white box BS. If the springs are a bit broken in, though, you should be fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hoooooooray! It’s fixed !

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ve got a pork butt sitting in my fridge in a dutch oven slathered in spices and brown sugar and a bit of apple cider vinegar waiting to noon to go in the oven for six hours.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve got a pork butt sitting in my fridge in a dutch oven slathered in spices and brown sugar and a bit of apple cider vinegar waiting to noon to go in the oven for six hours.

Bah I thought this was the drat food thread.

Have multiple photos as penance.

Hey good looking

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You know it’s good when it falls the gently caress apart getting it out is the pot.

Also that juice is going to become some bomb as gently caress sauce. (The package gravy is for some mashed potatoes as a side)

Don’t even need to do anything to it. Just reduce it for a few min. The fat and sugar and vinegar that’s already in there does all the work.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mother loving success with the sauce.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Cyrano, can we add 'no hotlinking' to the OP rules?

yeah that's annoying. Done.

I mean I'm not going to sixer for it first offense etc etc but it's annoying and I'll wag my finger at people like you wouldn't believe.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The BYOB ship has landed

(traveling BYOB thread, visiting TFR)

LInk for all you weirdos who just browse by bookmarks:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918699&pagenumber=9#lastpost

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

If I had money to burn (and also some more workspace), I'd love to get a Dark series 1895, a .45-70 reloading setup, and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. I don't care if it's stupid as gently caress.

Might wanna put a photo there before that rear end in a top hat mod comes along. You’re lucky that the kind, benevolent, and incredibly handsome admin saw it first.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. I’ve seen some WEIRD poo poo done with them in Switzerland. Shot one once that had been shortened to some crazy dumb length. They’re not that expensive out there and common as target rifles. IIRC Swiss law is cool with just clipping the “haha rifle go brrrrrr” parts.

You also see similarly weird poo poo with K31s. I once saw one that had been garage gunsmithed into being a pump action.

Fake edit: oh hey I found a pic of the one I shot. The belt is just there for a dumb funny pic. It was a normal mag fed rifle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving goddamn that’s nice. How’s it shoot?

Kind of gun related these are bullet and shell splinter holes in buildings in the museum island area of Berlin ca 2008 or so. Sadly they went on a big push to finally repair them so they’re probably gone now.

You used to be able to walk around and see windows where there had obviously been a fighting position because the pock marks were clustered around it and not the surrounding stone. Different depth craters too, which probably corresponded to rifle/lmg and pistol/smg fire.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Do me a solid and grab some TP while you’re at Costco OK?

lol found some graffiti on another shot up Berlin building. I took a lot of pics of these.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is that a goddamned wooden telescoping m4 stock?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oooh, what is gun on bottom?

A bird isn't a gun.

You can make up for this transgression in one of three ways:

1) a picture of Sierra being held like a pistol. Dunno if that's good for birds or not, but I do know you can hold a cat like an SMG so it's an option. Obviously don't do it if it might endanger Sierra.

2) Train Sierra to make gun noises and post video. Obviously you get some extra time if you go this route.

3) Picture of Sierra perched on a gun. Kinda the easy way out IMO but would still be cute.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Not an empty quote

But one suspiciously lacking a pic . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

If you hotlink from Twitter, I can't see it and therefore it doesn't count as posting a pic.

Coming soon to a box thread near you:

There better be a gun in this pic mister

Pacific battlefield recovered Garand. (Makin Island raid)