Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, it's cool enough it gets a pass.

I remember showing that to my best friend from grad school (who is a huge aliens fan, and my shooting buddy at the time) and it blew his loving mind. Just amazed someone could pull that off.

So, for whatever it's worth, you are a Cool Motherfucker in the books of someone who's now a tenured german history prof.

Wait, tenure track, or full tenure? My sincerest congratulations regardless; academic job hunt hell is never pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

TT, he comes up for review next year, and all indications are that he's going to get it.

He landed really, really well.

edit: I know many, many other people that bailed the gently caress out without making it. He's part of a pretty small group and frankly it doesn't even come down to his research or teaching being better than anyone else's.

Oh, it's your friend. I thought you were quietly announcing that you'd secured such a position for yourself.

And no, it really doesn't come down to quality of research. I've seen a lot of people advance by getting their names on a paper, but by doing relatively little in terms of actual research. poo poo, I've seen entire government or university departments that produce reams of material, but little substance. If peer review doesn't take the totality of someone's work into account as a part of the process it bloody well should.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh god no. I gave up on that dream about two years ago. I"m one of the many academic failures littering the side of the interstate. I'm well into private sector employment now.

I really do miss teaching, but the academy can go gently caress itself. I worked too long for too little with zero recognition of anything I ever did, either financial or otherwise.

Maybe it's because I'm mid-way through a shift and my brain is locked in strengths-based counselling mode, but from where I sit not fitting in with a system that is anything but meritocratic should not be described as a failure.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Assembled with tweezers, super glue and love.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My Snider Enfield was made in 1864 and I shoot it regularly. Old guns can be shootable guns too!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Miso Beno posted:

double post:
if cyrano gets his poo poo together and returns my rear end to the grave via a ban let this be my last post until i find ten ghost bux

It says a lot about the horrors that I have seen that I see goatse these days and just chuckle like I might when seeing an old friend for the first time in a long while.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Got a pair of Fordite grips for my 1911. In bright light, some of the colour bands show metallic sparkles.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I got the Motor City Agate grips from Ebay. They come up from time to time on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

5.56mm vs. .577 Snider.