Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where dis? Red Feather?

Watson lake in Prescott, AZ. Actually have never been to red feather.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

that poor fuckin thompson

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

THE MACHINE SPIRIT IS RECONSECRATED AND RESANCTIFIED FOR OPERATIONAL USE

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

^^^^ pics for the pic thread

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

There's a lot of cool, less crowded stuff up in the Poudre canyon, but that's more of a drive for you. It's also not very accessible in the winter unfortunately. Gonna try and hit it some more this coming summer. Would like to get another enormous pano shot of this spot, but with more interesting light/clouds.

But yeah I was born and raised here and it's not what I remember at all anymore.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

I love this photo by the way.

And gunz

I'm glad people get the reference.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Akion posted:

Am I wrong in assuming that, much like 95% of "Private Security Companies", 95% of "Private Military Contractors" are either dudes that didn't/couldn't hack it in the real military, or were like... motor pool or something?

Semi-related. Our local "Private Security Company" that loves to pretend they are cops.

It varies a lot depending on the contract type, how much they're paying, and how picky they are in their hiring. This is as far as the overseas stuff goes anyways, I have no clue with the stateside stuff and generally imagine them to be wannabe LARPers. No personal experience/contact there though.

My first contract in 2010 was doing base security stuff, and the company was both cheap and not discriminating. So you had a mix of GWOT vets who got out after one enlistment (like me) and just wanted to get their foot in the door for various reasons (some for the money, some just got out and were having trouble adapting to civ life, some wanted THAT RUSH OF COMBAT AGAIN and wanted to feel the "bonds of brotherhood" etc), some older vets from the Clinton years who had never actually deployed, some guys who had LE/private security experience but no deployment experience, and even one guy whose military experience was being a draftee for Vietnam. In short, it was a poo poo show. They also issued DPMS ARs, airsoft grade plate carriers with no soft armor backers, and up-armored gun trucks that constantly broke down and of which two spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground.

Then two other contracts I did were technical in nature and I worked with a lot more guys who had never been in the military, who were just there to do the tech stuff. These paid a lot better and I didn't have to deal with dudes juicing up on steroids to the point that they were lactating. So those were nice at least.

Mandatory pic for the pic thread.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 6, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Akion posted:

Thanks for elaborating. I knew you had done it, but didn't want to call you out by name. For some reason I thought you had been in longer than one enlistment, but I guess that actually makes sense timeframe wise.

I'd debated actually doing some of the technical contracting after spending some time in a distance relationship with a girl that did it. The money sounded really good, but I make decent money now and don't have to deal with that level of bullshit so...

Also the new gun looks neat. What is that?

It's an APC9 Pro w/ Glock mag lower. Still need to test fire it fully and then do the eform1 process on it. Still trying to decide on IR laser/light config as well.

But yeah I just did one 5 year enlistment, but also did 3 contracts overseas. The tech stuff was pretty nice, honestly. The first one was nice and chill, just operating a camera system on a fixed shift. Do my time, hit the gym and chow hall, sleep. The second one, I was fixing them, just bouncing all over Helmand province. Got to see a lot of cool stuff and work with a lot of chill SF/MARSOC dudes. Was fairly autonomous when I was out in the field too, just working with whatever unit had the camera at the base in question. That contract also paid the best out of what I worked, so that was nice.

edit: whoops

The Rat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 6, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ok I give up, where is it?

It's to the right of that scraggly tree on the righthand side, in the bush.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Dick a photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaBK0CMI9A

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

infrared35 posted:

What is this

How did this get

That is a nice scope though

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Pew pew

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

infrared35 posted:

That would be a pro-rear end carry rig if you could actually grip the gun properly on the draw.

you mean pro-bass