Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

No, because of this game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I found this at a local Japanese book store in their cards section and thought I would share it with y'all. I didn't actually buy it because I already had a lil bonsai tree kit and a sweet Japanese handkerchief I wanted and I'm cheap.

Here's a picture of a Japanese gun in case I need a more gun-related picture:

lmao at that AK-style chin weld for the optic

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Even the stock gun is pretty tacticool:

That said, it's at least gas blowback rather than electric so it'd be kinda fun to shoot.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Seems rather pointless when magazine capacity is 22 or 30, but ok.

I miss airsoft a little. It was fun running around shooting each other with guns that didn't look like plumbing. I doubt I'd want to actually play anymore, but I look back fondly on playing nearly 20 years ago now.

lmaoooooooooo

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, if you're a heretic who places no value in a firearm coming from Oberndorf, gun mecca, blessed home of his holiness Paul Mauser (PBUH) then, sure.

You just cannot stop making posts without pictures in this thread, can you?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

hipoint bad, therefore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Is that yours? Always wanted a katana. Something decent-ish, not like coldsteel or crap but I also dont want to spend like 2k.

Yes. It's not a "real sword" though, it's an iaito, a practice sword used in iaido. The blade is aluminum-zinc alloy instead of steel. You can't sharpen its edge, you'd just destroy it if you tried. As such, it's not regulated as a weapon, so you can legally possess it in Japan without any licensing or paperwork. Not that I live in Japan, but if I ever go for an iaido-related thing, I could bring my iaito.

Depending on what you want, you can get a katana for a few hundred bucks. Hanwei, Dynasty Forge, and Swords of Northshire are three makers that I'm aware of that are like $200-600 and are perfectly adequate quality. I know there are others, too, I just can't think of them off the top of my allergy-addled mind at the moment. Most makers in that price range are made in the Longquan region of China, rather than being ~true Nippon steel~, but that doesn't mean they're bad. As far as I know, most Longquan smiths make good stuff, if a bit rough around the edges/lacking some of the fine touches of the higher-end makers. If you just want a sword you can swing around and cut up water bottles and poo poo with, they should work just fine.

Edit: this iaito cost roughly double what my "real" katana cost. I paid roughly $400 for my Swords of Northshire odachi, and I paid over $800 for my Japanese-made iaito. To be fair, it is a very nice iaito, despite what the chewed-up bit on the tsuba might make it look like.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Modern homogeneous steel owns. But yeah, Japanese swordsmithing wasn't some mystical Super-Secret Technique!!!, it was an adaptation to un-loving some really loving terrible raw materials. That said, differential hardening is not unique to Japan and it's also not just a "terrible iron" thing. If you want an edge you can hone the poo poo out of, it does what it's supposed to. Is it overall less practical for a sword than spring-tempered steel? Yes, but that's not what they were going for (because they couldn't do it with local iron), so it's not really fair to compare the two.

Edit: not sure why that one came out rotated 90 degrees, it showed up normally when I saved it to my desktop. My bad?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Dot time, might gently caress around later and look into low powered scopes from PA, something like a 1-4 or 1-6

I wish Ranger Point Precision offered their lightened loading gate in that nice blue they use for their followers

Black looks good but their blue is just so nice!

If I had money to burn (and also some more workspace), I'd love to get a Dark series 1895, a .45-70 reloading setup, and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. I don't care if it's stupid as gently caress.

edit: oh poo poo i thought this was the tacticool thread, my b

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I bought a butterfly knife (Kershaw Lucha) and within an hour I managed to nick myself. I probably should've ordered a trainer along with this life-bladed one Instead, I just wrapped it in some tape and hope for the best!

Edit: why the gently caress are my attached images uploading sideways? They look normal if I view them on the desktop.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I mean, that's pretty much exactly the gun that the sniper baddie from Trigun has:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I'm crossposting someone else's picture because it owns is dreadful:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

It's spacegun as gently caress and that owns. The last time it was brought up someone found a post from elsewhere that mentioned that the stock wasn't very good at its job as a stock, but I forget why. Mold seam on the cheekweld and too flex-y side to side, I want to say? Please post your take on the goofy space stock and foregrip somewhere, please.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

If you didn't, you should send the link to Ian at Forgotten Weapons. I bet he'd love to have a blue gun version of his FAMAS.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Thermos posted:

I watched a guy on youtube shoot a 93R and it looked awful. That being said, if they ever made a semi-auto replica I would pay so many dollars.

EXTREMELY ENERGY

I'm actually tempted to buy an airsoft 93R just to dink around with. They're just such a loving cool looking gun. And no, the 92F doesn't have all the cool futuristic poo poo bolted onto it, so it's boring. Still an aesthetically nice gun, but comparatively boring.

Captain Log posted:

The extractor was just tearing straight through the rim of the ammo. I think it was some sort of metal (aluminum? poo poo steel?) that I haven't seen in a decade. The rounds were amazingly cheap but would make the most reliable guns poo poo the bed, hard.

Probably would work fine in a manual repeater, but yeah in a semi that's no bueno. And I'm not sure I can even think of a manual 9mm that's not some weird super-niche thing that's available in the US. I don't think many, if any, revolvers have 9mm moon clips, unlike .45, and I can't think of any lever guns in 9mm (because why would you bother?).

Peep dis tanto bokken/bokutō that was gifted to me when I passed my shodan rank test for iaijutsu. It was hand-made by the sensei of one of the school's sister dojos. That's weirdly phrased--it was made by a sensei of the same art, but not the sensei of the dojo I study at. He's in another big city.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I'm not sure I'd call it surprising to be uncomfortable staring down the barrel of a dozen fuckin rifles. Yeah, they're almost assuredly disarmed and unloaded, but it still goes against our base instinct of staying the gently caress away from the muzzle of a weapon.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 10, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Oh, I never said it wasn't a clever setup--I totally agree, it does what it's set out to convey very well. My point was that the feeling of unease should be anything but surprising.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Is #2 some kind of homemade over/under shotgun? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what that thing is. Also, what's the thing next to the two AK mags?

I'm on a black powder gun kick. Good thing I have no fuckin money to buy poo poo I'd never actually shoot!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Presumably it's a product of cargo culting a TACTICOOL stock into wood, but carved as one solid piece. There's no way that's actually functional.

Savage needs to put out a 110 Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor, god damnit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Amusingly, it's got the OG selector switch configuration with Safe being on top instead of being on the left.

Edit: the semi and auto settings are backwards, though.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I ordered one of the purple books, and added a poster and the mini-book they're republishing

Also, at the time I ordered (a few hours ago now), the kickstarter was over $250,000 of its 100k goal. Ian is killing it.

Edit: gently caress, forgot what thread I was in.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2021