Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lurdiak posted:

At least we got to find out if he bleeds.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the best/worst thing about autistic rep in film is that any character explicitly presented as autistic is almost always going to be a worse portrayal than "just pick any random character with intense interests, a code of conduct they always stick to, and one or more scenes that might, if you kinda squint, suggest they might have sensory processing issues"

like this, right here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmqYbkUEek

x-ray vision aside, this is more authentic than anything Big Bang Theory or Sherlock ever did and it's probably not even what they were going for

It was, actually. One of Zack’s daughters is pretty deeply on the spectrum. Some autism awareness group ended up giving the movie an award for that scene, too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The stereotypes of autism get super awful especially because if you don't live up to the superpowered stereotype, people literally go 'Oh, so what use are you then?'

My superpower is that every single time they had one of those "Guess how many jelly beans/M&Ms are in this jar and you win them." in school I guessed correctly and got free candy.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Big Bang Theory

Do not even get me started.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Cameo posted:

It was, actually. One of Zack’s daughters is pretty deeply on the spectrum. Some autism awareness group ended up giving the movie an award for that scene, too.

well poo poo

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Big Bang Theory
I recently found out that the people in Mensa loving love Big Bang Theory and, honestly, it made a whole lot of sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Safety Factor posted:

I recently found out that the people in Mensa loving love Big Bang Theory and, honestly, it made a whole lot of sense.

Mensa is pretty much a parody of itself and iirc has massive problems with sexual harassment and assault.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mensa is pretty much a parody of itself
Exactly. :v:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and iirc has massive problems with sexual harassment and assault.
I'd be lying if I said this surprised me. :smith:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The stereotypes of autism get super awful especially because if you don't live up to the superpowered stereotype, people literally go 'Oh, so what use are you then?'

See The Accountant for the most egregious example.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Due to a combination of still windless frosty weather and a a couple hundred thousand people all blowing up fireworks at once the air quality in Reykjavík on New Year's Eve was apparently on par with the air in Delhi, India. A massive metropolis and one of the most polluted cities in the world. The entire capital area was shrouded in a thick mist so bad you could barely see anything.

Here's me driving home shortly after midnight. You can't tell but there's a firetruck with sirens blaring just ahead of that last car.

And here's the houses across the street from my parents house

The draw distance is really bad this time of year

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some more pictures:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sucks that air quality got that bad, but lmao that's a great double post.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah that was funny double post.

Also Turok!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Safety Factor posted:

I'd be lying if I said this surprised me. :smith:

Ask Jamie Loftus

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Skwirl posted:

Ask Jamie Loftus

If anyone hasn't listened to it they need to give it a try, it's weird and funny and shocking and sad:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/my-year-in-mensa/id1492147103

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what does Mensa actually do other than charge people a fee for a card that says theyre in Mensa?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

banned from Starbucks posted:

what does Mensa actually do other than charge people a fee for a card that says theyre in Mensa?

apparently they also hold conventions where people who paid to be in mensa can go and be with other people who paid to be in mensa.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mensa is part of an secret government plan to identify the world's biggest suckers with the eventual goal being to feed them to the civilization of subterranean goblinoids to live under every city and appease them to prevent an invasion from below.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mensa is part of an secret government plan to identify the world's biggest suckers with the eventual goal being to feed them to the civilization of subterranean goblinoids to live under every city and appease them to prevent an invasion from below.

Mensa Meat Train.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I had some alcohol and watched Pixar’s Soul and I was kinda touched, made me reflect. I think it was a solid movie but a good one if it made me do that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Am I the only one who thinks about the ending of (500) Days of Summer and gets irrationally angry?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NieR Occomata posted:

Am I the only one who thinks about (500) Days of Summer?

Yeah, probably.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've suspected for a while now I might have undiagnosed autism, but I ways second guess myself if it's legit or I'm just going by stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
New Year, New GenChat