Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I found Les Mis unwatchable so I’m glad to see the world accept my obviously correct view of Tom Hooper.

Les Mis isn't the worst time I've ever had in a theater (The Producers--the Broderick one--or Terminator Salvation or maybe Extract would probably take that crown), but hoo boy, I knew I was in for two and a half hours of pain as soon as Russell Crowe started "singing." Sounded more like a bear defending its young. Hooper is a war criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, it's really lovely. And the sound mixing is crazy bad. Most of the lyrics are indecipherable.

I wonder if Hooper did the same dipshit thing on Cats as he did with Les Mis, insisting on all the singing being captured live on-set as the cameras are rolling, as opposed to having the actors lip-sync to recordings they had already done in a studio.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I am Spartacus.

I am Spartacus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

So a heads up, this is going to be a tragedy post.

My cousin's baby just died and she wants to leave the apartment where the kid died because she can't stand being there. Plus they have other kids. The problem is they are dirt poor so they need help. Someone started a go fund me for her. If you can't/don't want to give please signal boost this.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fontenelles-fresh-start

CPL, this is so loving awful and my heart is aching.

I don't have any financial resources to give, I'm broke as a joke, but for what it's worth, I put it up on my Facebook to try and boost the reach.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it’s real good. First two seasons are fantastic, third is messier but imo still pretty strong

Yeah, I'd say this is the correct take. I wasn't hot on season 3 but there's still a lot of really good stuff in it. Fargo season 1 is one of the best first seasons of television in semi-recent history, along with Killing Eve.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Biggest shocker was Domnhall Gleeson suddenly showing up.

I watched Dredd the other night on a date and I completely loving forgot that he's in it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

King of the Monsters has some real dumb punch-up in it and the main character could and should be replaced with a straw effigy, but it also has extremely good monster fights, a lot of fun little callbacks to the greater Godzilla mythos, Charles Dance, and has a cornucopia of beautiful shots and compositions. It is absolutely a dumb as bricks blockbuster megamovie, but I had great fun watching it and I would infinitely prefer a half dozen king of the monsters style blockbusters every year to the last decades marvel death march.

I absolutely loving loved King of the Monsters, but I'll fully admit that a large part of that was me getting to see MY KING, a three-headed dragon from Hell, wreck poo poo left and right. Charles Dance and Ken Watanabe were criminally under-used, and I feel like some of the re-shoots are pretty blatant, but I still love it.

CPL593H posted:

They were called the Cinabytes or something like that. I kept saying that should be called the Goonys but whoever ran that very strongly disagreed with me on that.

They were called the CineBytes, and Vargo ran them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

When you're talking about composite shots, is it pronounced COMposite or comPOSite?

The latter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki.

But something much worse comes for you … for when you die, it will be without honor.

You piece of poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

The only mitigating factor I can think of is that they may have had to hit a certain delivery date, but those are usually quite generous unless there is a specific event to be ready for, and in any event if a financier sees that a film needs more editing they usually recognise it’s in their interests to extend the due date. One of the things I dislike about him is that I think he is exactly that, self-indulgent.

Self-indulgent is precisely how I would describe most of Jarmusch's body of work, just as I would Lars Von Trier's (though obviously they crawl up their asses in different ways). There are a few of Jarmusch's movies that I absolutely adore, like Only Lovers Left Alive and Stranger Than Paradise, but ... he's got some real narcissistic tendencies in his movies that really rub me the wrong way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So wait they're explicitly keeping the part of the name that's outdated?

Disney gonna Disney.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

edit: How many of you have felt the very specific melancholy of discovering that you're in possession of expired condoms?

Happened to me on a date last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

Photoshop CS2 is free to download and relatively simple to use.

Not anymore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Affinity Photo is another photoshop alternative that has a two week full trial and is just a $50 purchase if you want to keep it, which is nice if you can't stand GIMP's trash fire UX but don't want to get roped into paying Adobe every month forever.

GIMP's default UX was built in the raging fires of Hell, but I've found that there are quite a few plugins that get it to mimic the Photoshop CC interface pretty closely nowadays (not quite to the level of "is the same but just has the serial number filed off," but much better than GIMP out of the box). Still requires an hour or two of customization to get the interface to where you might want it to be, but GIMP has come a long way from the dumpster fire it was 18-19 years ago, when I was in college.

Reminds me that I need to check when my Photoshop billing date is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

(still haven't seen BR2049).

Rectify this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Just because I know there are some Boston goons here, my dad got a letter claiming to be from some toll collection unit is Massachusetts saying he owes them for a toll on Jan 8.

My dad lives in Seattle and both him and his car was definitely not in Mass. on Jan 8th. The license plate listed is for his car

It's only $1.25 so if it's legit (as in actually from whatever agency or third party is in charge of tolls) I'd say just send a money order but I'm (and they're) paranoid about it being from scammers to try and steal some sort of banking info from him. Has anyone heard of anything like that? or is it just whoever actually drove through had a partially obscured plate and whatever computer program came up with the wrong number?

Fairly common scam with Illinois and Maryland plates.

Edit: it's an attempt to phish information.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coaaab posted:

and why was this leaked ahead of time?!

Companies know that the ads are the most talked-about thing regarding the Super Bowl, so for the last few years they've been letting them trickle out during the two-week gap before the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGCV2O-n9V8

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Was Ted going to get married to Greta Gerwig originally?

HIMYM was on really shaky ground, ratings-wise, for its first few seasons, and even after the Britney Spears episode (which did loving amazing numbers), CBS was always going back and forth on renewal until something like season 6 or 7, which is ironically when the show went into a complete tailspin, creatively. Ashley Williams (Veronica), Sarah Clarke (Stella) and Jennifer Morrison (Zoey) were all written to be backdoor mothers in case the show was canceled before the producers anticipated.

Edit: Greta Gerwig was set to star in the thankfully aborted How I Met Your Father spin-off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I think this may have been when they were working towards the end of the series, Jason Segel told Conan that he'd want the ending to reveal that the story was being told to children in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

He was probably joking. He was very vocally unhappy about doing the show after the third or fourth season, and he started making some ridiculous demands in order to return year after year. They only barely got him for the 9th season.

He also quit drinking sometime around season 5 or 6, which is why Marshall is suddenly super-svelte out of nowhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

There is an episode where they get stoned and go to a baseball game, and it's really one of the only "stoner" episodes of a sitcom that I've found very funny.

The cast has good chemistry, there's good jokes in most episodes, but the whole thing is pretty weird now because Barney is a terrible person who'd get cancelled in a heartbeat, and you're somehow supposed to root for him despite every reason otherwise.

I think they got blazed at a concert, but, yeah, it was funny and it was one of our first big hints about what the ending would be.

Barney, though, yeah. The character is an absolutely disgusting, horrible sociopath, just a monster, and yet we're supposed to root for him and be all, "Aw, Barney, you scamp."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Speak on that.

I don't remember the hint(s) cuz I watched it with an SO, and we didn't last long enough to finish the show. (I know how it ends.)

Oh, I had the episode wrong. At the end of "How I Met Everyone Else," in the year 2020 at a class reunion, Ted, Marshall and Lilly get high as gently caress and as they're hazed and Ted's laughing, he says with confusion, "Where's my wife?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Peccadillo posted:

Did Goggins make the Tomb Raider reboot worth a peek?

Not really.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I rewatched Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring over the weekend and I can’t stop thinking about how obvious the Ring is as a metaphor for addiction. Hell, Gandalf even gives Frodo an Al-Anon speech about the passing of judgement, pity, living life for yourself, and a higher power. Weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOqnZdvI6M

Oh, hell yeah, it gets even more blatant in the next two movies, with Frodo getting chills and sweats the more the ring is around him, and going into episodes of outright fury when people try to say, "Dude, this poo poo is killing you."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hell, when Gandalf tells Bilbo he should give up the Ring, Bilbo immediately convinces himself that Gandalf is trying to steal the ring for his own use, and Gandalf says Gollum “loves and hates the Ring because he loves and hates himself.” I never noticed it as a teenager but it’s extremely blatant as an adult who’s struggled with/been around abusers of alcohol.

Yeah. The movies came out when I was in high school, and I didn't touch a drop of alcohol until the day I turned 21 in 2005. But I went into detox and rehab on March 23, 2009. I revisited the trilogy maybe three or four years ago, back when I was still married, and I was like, "Holy poo poo."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

I can easily see 45 yelling “I’ll buy that for a dollar!” during the state of the union.

I was reading an article this morning that said McConnell and Graham are pushing hard for the trial to be over, there are at least five Republican votes for witnesses to be heard, and Trump wants it over by the State of the Union.

I don't even know what's what anymore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bongo Bill posted:

Good day to you. I seek examples of bad movies - especially mundanely, forgettably bad - that still manage to have excellent soundtracks. Thank you and God bless.

Judge Dredd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwqVUyqqTY

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey folks, I’m a clerical worker that has experience working with controlled documents, navigating corporate hierarchies/communicating with executives and officers, and managing a database. I would love to find a job where I’d never have to answer a phone ever again. Any recommendations for direction?

I hate to sound like a negative Nancy, but DBA / clerical work pretty much, by definition, will involve being on the phone quite often, because your co-workers will be dumber than stumps.

Edit: Call local temp / employment agencies, and also your state or county job center if you have one. They can provide a lot of counseling regarding gaps in your resume / experience and areas in which you can seek to grow. I'm going through the process myself, after being out of work for most of last year following a layoff (and my brain tumor getting so bad around the start of the summer).

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finns are sullen, solidary and naturally gifted magic users.

Considering that my entire maternal side of the family is from Finland, that my mother was committed to a sanitarium in the '70s because of her drinking and depression, and that my aunts are preternaturally gifted at being able to twist any political discussion into it being about Obama's secret undercover Muslim army plotting to topple the government ... this tracks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a good, cheap(er) charging cable for an iphone 8? I’d like to get an assortment of them for my home/car/office, and the one I bought recently just combusted.

Whenever looking for cables, check Monoprice first.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

istewart posted:

Yes, Logan Lucky for sure is one of my favorites. I also loved Dwight Yoakam popping up as the prison warden in that one -- I'm a big fan of his music, and it's always great to see him show up in acting roles too.

Will have to check out those other recs.

Dwight Yoakam is amazing in Panic Room, which is a terribly under-appreciated Fincher movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I have a soft spot for Writings On The Wall especially hearing it performed live.

wat

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://twitter.com/ifyouwereafo/status/1186729978106396676

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also Irn Bru tastes like a shoddy traveling carnival.

I used to be the bar manager at an Irish pub in northwest Illinois. One of the owners insisted that I keep Irn Bru stocked, even though we sold, like, two bottles a month. Boggled my mind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There's your first mistake.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disposable Scud posted:

I saw an analysis video about it (what the gently caress?) on my youtube sidebar and saw "Directed by Rob Cohen". I thought Dragon/Jungle Book were the only films he made before F&F.

Cohen didn't direct Jungle Book, or am I getting whooshed?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

Here's Larry Fishburne violently cranking his hog to a live sex show:

:stonk:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did Shada twice. Big Finish did an adaptation with Paul McGann. Been forever since I heard it. I don't remember it having a comedic tone.

Yeah, Shada bears basically no resemblance to Dirk Gently whatsoever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

HEY!

Are Nick Cave shows still good?

I haven't seen him live since 2014 or 2015 but it was one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. Last year's album, Ghosteen, was magnificent, so I have no doubt that this fall's North American tour will be phenomenal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

The last action hero is a stone cold classic

It really, really isn't. It's got some great bits but overall it's entirely too self-indulgent.

Steve Yun posted:

Catching up on my backlog, what should I watch tonight

Dark City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

although it seems like substance abuse was a pretty common thing in that circle

Understatement of the century. That's like saying Charles Manson was slightly mentally ill.