Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The odds of execs using that as more than a tool to "confirm" their own guesses feel pretty low

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of video art, I’m back in Chicago and just discovered Sinema Obscura on local late night cable, they show a bunch of local music videos and short films.

I wish this channel was OTA :(

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You Only Live Once / You Only Live Twice

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Die Another Day

Tomorrow Never Dies / Die Another Day

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

axelblaze posted:

So all that stuff about Sundance I was freaking out about yesterday: nevermind.

Tickets were just sort of there when I checked this morning so I'm mostly good (though I still need to get some next week)

What're you seeing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Well yeah, she was like 12 when Kick-rear end came out 10 years ago.

She was six in the first thing I saw her in, that forgotten Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

I referred to Donald Glover as Crispin Glover like 4 times when talking about Solo before someone corrected me

I call him Jamie Lee Foxx like half the time

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Thinking of seeing Underwater this weekend, the reviews have made me nostalgic for the one-off trash of my youth. Bad tentpole franchise stuff is trash is such a less satisfying way

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The self-contained bit is important but I think I’m mostly just missing medium-budget movies in general

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is the Fargo show good, now that it’s been running for a while? It’s always been on my radar, but I’m not a big tv drama guy, and an hour long serial show is a difficult sell for me.

I couldn't make it through the first episode, the Coen Brothers style is grating as hell if you can't nail it and they don't

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Strange Days is great and the best movie you listed but that a real Feed Bad movie if you're looking for something fun

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Strange Days is great but everyone should watch HER SMELL!!!!!!!

It’s probably my favorite movie over the last few years

I liked Queen of Earth a lot but I haven't been in the right headspace for Smell yet

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Monster Master Arthur rules but my heart definitely skipped a bit when I finally looked at the video length

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes. The only downside is that you sometimes can tell ahead of time that somebody is going to get suddenly shot/run over/chomped.

Yeah, I tend to leave subtitles on unless it's a comedy for this reason. Jokes getting stepped on kind of sucks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Maniac with Elijah Wood is fantastic imo.

Grand Piano good too

I didn't realize he'd gotten into producing as well, he apparently helped with A Girl Walks Home At Night, Mandy and a few others

Edit: ^^^^^^^ hey there vvvvvvvvv

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

So like 70 minutes explaining what a vampire is, then a rushed third act where Jared Harris turns out to be iconic Morbius villain Doctor Paine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A Kraven movie would kick rear end.

That has to be the plan for the next mainline Spider-Man, unless they want to start rehashing guys

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Sad to say, nobody gives a poo poo about Snipes-blade. Marvel has had the blade film rights since 2012, three years after the company was bought by Disney, which easily gives it the most disproportionate ability to "compete" with a trilogy of films that were only ever modest box office successes for their budgets. The reason they waited until after Black Panther to announce that they were going to be "integrating" Blade into the MCU is because they were literally waiting to test whether or not a black-led blockbuster superhero movie could do Avengers numbers, not just B-tier action-horror flicks numbers.

It's because he's black. They will gladly fund Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, and Guardians of the Galaxy before even touching Blade because, in as obscure as those heroes are, Blade's mere blackness and adjacency to more 'urban' action cinema (as well as dyed-in-wool horror) makes him even more niche in their eyes. Let's even just take Blade Trinity out of the equation - the trepidation isn't over their ability to compete with a franchise that ended for most people almost two decades ago, now. They're just figuring out how to "Marvelize" the character.

From what I understand they're only doing Blade now because Mahershala kept calling them about it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

axelblaze posted:

Someone earlier asked what I'm seeing at Sundance and I'm apparently see these

And like 7 shorts programs (I think...let's see 1, 3, 5, New Frontier, Midnight, Doc Shorts 1 and 2...okay it's apparently 8)

Kind of a weak year but I got most of what I wanted. The only bigs ones I'm missing are the second features from both Sean Durkin and Benh Zeitlin but I'll see what I can do.

I'm jealous and would jump at an opportunity to go sometime, but reading those descriptions I can see how sometimes just-OK movies get massively overhyped out of Sundance. Finding a movie that actually works in that sea of big swings must be exhilarating

What's your hit rate been in the past?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Probably Under The Silver Lake

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

I haven't seen a whole lot of 2019 movies, but Under the Silver Lake has a rotten rating and I'd go to bat for that movie.

daps

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Glass isn't the "best" anything, but I got enough out of it. Probably the only other qualifier for me, but I haven't caught up on much yet

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Me, Tarzan

You, Jane

You, Piece of poo poo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/JOSH_BENNY/status/1217868489865801730?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The first Bad Boys was made so long ago that Will Smith was the second choice after Arsenio Hall

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Were other people aware that they're rebooting Fantasy Island as a Hostel riff + Instgram models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6O30nJ02PU

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 20, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Predators is weird one because all the actual Predator stuff sucks, but I was weirdly into Lawrence Fishbourne and Topher Grace’s whole deals

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The phone's arc is more interesting than Joaquin's which is a big plus in my eyes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Beastie Boys doc he's doing might be enough to get me to sign up for an Apple TV trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aCBDL1sUY8

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Turning. loving poo poo.

What's the crappy ending reviews are talking around

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, that sounds real bad

The New Amblin's track record has been extremely weird

Edit: And their upcoming movie, BIOS, also sounds extremely weird

quote:

Plot
An ailing inventor, the last man on Earth, builds an android to keep him and his dog company and goes on a journey across the country.[2]

Cast
Tom Hanks as Finch, an ailing inventor and one of the last men on Earth
Caleb Landry Jones as Jeff, a robot created by Finch
Samira Wiley as Weaver, a survivor
Skeet Ulrich
Laura Harrier

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 29, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I sort of assumed Caleb Landry Jones was just uninterested in being in mainstream films but one of his other upcoming roles is a war movie directed by Rod Lurie, starring Orlando Bloom, and featuring Clint Eastwood’s son, Mel Gibson’s son and Richard Attenborough’s grandson

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 29, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Judgement Night's soundtrack is maybe not "excellent" all the way through but it's definitely a great time capsule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qT_FoYnZg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Decided to go through all my old blurays and see if the digital codes were still valid. It seems Ultraviolet closed down and is replaced my Movies Anywhere, which seems very handy. If you have a code to a movie it lets you watch them across several services, such as Apple, Amazon, GooglePlay, Youtube, Microsoft, Vudu, etc

All old UV codes are accepted by Movies Anywhere

It seems none of the codes that had expiration dates on them actually expired

This is pretty cool

I wonder if you can still buy UV codes for like 50 cents on eBay

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

On the one hand I believe it but on the other I’ve learned not to get too worked up about stuff from random Twitter people with no attribution or detail

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I enjoyed it on the whole but that final scene is wedged way deep in my brain

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

I like Us a lot, but Her Smell, Uncut Gems and Parasite are the trinity for me this year (I haven't seen 90% of the good movies this year).

Yeah, I was trying to put together a catch-up list last night and it's already like 40 movies long. I'll let you know the best of 2019 in a decade or so

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

If I want to watch the Oscars without buying cable TV, and I can’t get a good broadcast signal in my area, what is the best streaming option? YouTube TV?

yeah, Sling/YouTube

morestuff fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 4, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Segue posted:

I've been going through best-of-the-decade lists and man The Look of Silence and Faces Places would make an excellent double feature with their focus on reconstruction of reality, vision, and truth and relationships. One extremely upsetting, one extremely charming.

I'd put Act of Killing there too but I think watching it on the same day as Look of Silence may kill a normal person.

Anyone else have some good sad/happy thematic pairings? I think it's a great way to look at how similar themes can be so differently treated.

Inside Llewyn Davis and Magic Mike XXL

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I like the high-minded bits in Peele movies but the actual horror elements don't do much for me. I like that Us is such a gigantic swing on both sides but it gave way too much screen time to the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It’s a weird complaint from every angle. Like a lot of rappers actually do have guns and sex