Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Why can't you call it The Miserables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
that's Saulnier's? i passed on it thinking it was another one cheap netflix horror joint

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Aniara really goes for slow and dull bleakness. is that really a swedish thing?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Budgie Jumping posted:

It’s a humanity thing. Swedes just have a particular knack for depicting it.

the nightclub dance was the saddest poo poo, post environment colapse what is left is this ikea nihilism hellhole

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Alhazred posted:

It's funny, because In my country the stereotypicsl swede is not dull and bleak. We have the word "party-swede" for example which describes a swede who comes to Norway to work and party

my mental image is of one of those eng sex tourist that come to Algarve, only they-re swedes and wear Patagonia sweaters

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a way to see sent PM’s on the SA iphone app? I’m not sure if I actually sent one I thought I did.

i think they-re just displayed as another pm, kinda wack tbh

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Swedes are cool but arrogant and love to talk big about peace and love and justice while being one of the world's biggest arms manufacturers.

Norwegians are friendly but eccentric and love frozen pizza and slow TV broadcasts of grass growing in real time.

Finns are sullen, solidary and naturally gifted magic users.

Icelanders are inbred bumpkins that believe in Elves and lived in mudhuts eating sheep testicles until the mid 80s when Björk was invented.

Danes are lazy racist drunks.

having drank with finns, im not sure it's magic and just passed out drunk on the wilderness
finns also have an unfair genetic advantage for drinking, being 3+ meters tall the booze takes longer to go down

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
tbf it's a really lovely situation and done even worse when he realises hotie julia fox really lives his loser rear end

but so funny

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It's a great movie, al pacino great emphasis

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
for a lot of hype over 1917 I was a bit underwhelmed up until the final 20 minutes, where the whole buzz about gripping tension made sense, but up until then it really felt.. I dunno, engineered? like when in open world games they have characters talk when riding to the mission they make characters talk to fill in dead air? that's how it felt tbh

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Safety Factor posted:

I'm glad he's back. He stopped updating back in October or so and I was worried he was done.

yeah, he still put some stuff on letterboxd but mostly one sentence reviews if that

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I was putting off seeing Frances Ha for a while, and decided to finally check it out yesterday, and oof it really hits you as a young(?) adult on your second global recession, from the failed relationships and the missed moments and opportunities

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
finally got around to watch Hustlers and Jlo pretty much dominates the whole thing, and she makes the whole maternity angle with Constance Wu's character work by herself
i feel like it was sold a little too much on its capitalism critique, which it fumbles by the end, but this one really should go to the 2000 nostalgia canon

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The more of Letterboxd I use the more I wish Criticker stepped up their game cause their poo poo worked a lot better even if it didn't had any of the bells and whistles