Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jeremy Saulnier's first film Murder Party is on Netflix and I highly recommend it to fans of Blue Ruin and Green Room. It might be the most bitter and misanthropic of all his films, it's a gently caress you to all the mediocrities in the Williamsburg scene of the 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching it I got the feeling that the entire cast and crew came out of the same scene and were all in on the joke, it felt so specific to a time and place. I only got a couple short glimpses of what was going on there in real life but everything in the film felt really authentic to what I saw.

My favorite minor character is the suit-wearing med student (?) who shows up in the art space for one scene, and clearly was there to hang out with the freaks for a couple hours so that he had stories to tell his straight laced buddies.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Friends Are Evil posted:

Kerrang! posted about my work, which is pretty neat

I’m the guy they keep calling emo

https://www.kerrang.com/features/20-visual-artists-you-need-to-know-in-2020/

Congrats, your poo poo rules, hope you keep blowing up

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: Hello friends! Announcement time. :siren:

Sleeveless aka Guy Mann is no longer allowed to post in Cinema Discusso. ......

Thank you for not probing me for telling him to turn his monitor on after reading yet another joyless crank post from him

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

The Dead Don't Die is a waste of time.

Also, The Beach Bum is incredible... if you wanna talk trash, look at Serenity - it tries so hard to be C R R R R R A Z Y but it's a huge embarrassment.

The plot to Serenity is tame, hacky sub Black Mirror "we all live on computer now" poo poo but if you're willing to set that aside it's very competently made, nice to look at, and full of good performances. Surprised me when I watched it last month, it's a little underrated.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Diffusion filters were a big contributor to the look of films from the late 80s to the early 2000s. They're more consistent and subtle than the Vaseline and pantyhose tricks mentioned above to get a softer, more natural light. But they also take some of the contrast out of the image, and combined with lower-contrast film stocks will produce a flat, washed-out look. Production design and lighting choices favoring lots of fill light can take this even further into 90s gray-and-beige territory.