Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

therattle posted:

I found Les Mis unwatchable so I’m glad to see the world accept my obviously correct view of Tom Hooper.

Cats is karmic balance being restored to the universe after The King’s Speech stole The Social Network’s rightful Best Picture award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Did the “fixed” cut of Cats sent to theaters change the fact that you can’t even hear Jennifer Hudson singing over the rest of Memories?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It wasn’t just PPJ banning C-SPAM posters, is what has everyone on edge even after he left. Some yahoo from Coupons and Deals swooped in and gave vengeful week-longs to everyone saying he should resign in his confession thread - which Jeffrey of YOSPOS is now saying they’ll reverse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s very likely the majority of mods didn’t know about this at all (and likely not Fran cause what would he have to do with it,) but a few did by their own admission, so everyone’s paranoid. PPJ responding to evidence that he’s a member of an openly fascist server with “actually I was hunting the nazis” is funny on its own, but nobody seems to be able to cough up any evidence that he actually managed to prevent any Nazi activity or get any of them banned. He sure did joke about racist memes alongside them to “fit in” though!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not trying to minimize how hosed PPJ's actions are, but I really don't understand why C-Spam is acting like this is a constitutional issue and the admins need to testify before congress and let them democratically elect mods.

C-Spam has wanted their own self-appointed mods for a while now and the fact that this came out about their least favorite mod by far has galvanized them, not to mention other small details (they made C-Spam choice for mod Nichael an IK, but then stripped it away for issuing probations to people who, surprise, turned out to be nazis.)

There’s also the fact that, as previously mentioned, PPJ was the world’s stupidest sleeper agent, but this was apparently an operation by several moderators.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

drat making Dead Ringers the MOTM was a bad move, should have been Infernal Affairs.

Based off of how absurd this all is maybe the better choice would be Burn After Reading.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Burn After Reading, surely.

Do they know that that's not how SA has ever worked.

Well why shouldn’t it? We get close enough, even Fran was appointed after he was like “I could do it” and the majority of posters vouched for him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: Hello friends! Announcement time. :siren:

Thank you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pro click lmao

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Is there anyone here that still thinks awards shows matter? We seem to have this identical conversation every year.

I keep telling myself I’m not gonna get mad about the Oscars and then I do anyways, every single year.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

cebrail posted:

Similarly: After seeing the movie [The Social Network], Zuckerberg was quoted as saying he is "interested to see what effect The Social Network has on entrepreneurship", noting that he gets "lots of messages from people who claim that they have been very much inspired... to start their own company."

I’ve discovered a recent trend where a lot of leftists I follow - podcast hosts, twitter personalities, various professional Posters™️ - seem to think The Social Network is a hagiography and not a movie about how the only thing preventing Mark Zuckerberg from becoming the world’s greatest supervillain is how pathetic he is. Judging by Sorkin’s recent open letter to Zuck, that certainly seems to be what he intended - and I’m no Sorkin fan, but I don’t really understand the perspective. He doesn’t look “cool” at all in that movie, and even the actual “cool” guy in that movie turns out to be a pedo.

(I am aware Sean Parker is also not at all the rockstar he is in the movie in real life.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Wait who in the social network is a pedo

Sean Parker is caught partying with and giving cocaine to underaged girls.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Oh good. At least someone in show business isn't a pedo, rapist, or sexual assailant.

He’s not any of those, but he is married to an anti-vaxxer and therefore probably is one himself.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Is this a parody of something?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

look up American Dirt

Oprah's book club really knows how to pick some winners, huh?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Good day to you. I seek examples of bad movies - especially mundanely, forgettably bad - that still manage to have excellent soundtracks. Thank you and God bless.

Tron Legacy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In an ethical sense, it is much more appalling to act people to set aside their beliefs and morals and cast their vote for something they believe in than it is to cast a vote that may not matter against the grand totals.

In a practical sense, everyone mad about third-party voters in 2016 seems to ignore that Gary Johnson blew Jill Stein out of the loving water.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People like Lindsey Ellis because she’s academia cosplay.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite Lindsey Ellis video is the one where she said everyone was too harsh on Twilight and then it came out that Stephanie Meyer only wanted people of color cast in her movie if they were villains.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

It is legit funny how unselfaware the Parasite win is. Like that movie is about everyone in that room but pretty much everyone there is thinking "but surely this doesn't apply to me"

Between this and Chrissy Teigen and Elon Musk expressing their love for the film this really feels like a culture of ruling elites trying to get in front of a counterculture before it does any real damage.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Eh, I doubt that game will actually be anticapitalist at all though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I wish my dad was a golf course.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Update on The Boss, who I got a month ago:

I'm really excited to see what he looks like with all the fur. He's such a sweetheart.

God bless.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

porfiria posted:

They fact that Harley was a practicing physician before she ran into the Joker is so fuckin weird and I wish they leaned into that more. Like nothing about the character in her various incarnations reflects that part of her backstory at all.

Paul Dini explained it away in some comics in the B:TAS universe that she slept her way to her degree, and a lot of other stories adopted that factoid. Which sucks, because I think that idea is intensely sexist and I loving hate it, so I was glad to see BoP drop it completely.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite part of Ragnarok is the one where they give a passing mention to Odin‘s rule being built on imperialism and genocide and the solution proposed is that his next of kin will be a kinder leader.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Maybe the big point of contention with Jojo Rabbit is that the word “satire” is meaningless now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What parts of Parasite did Trump watch if he only fast-forwards to the action?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Is this guy going to not be a dildo about people actually seeing Fox movies?

No, Chapek is the guy currently in charge of the parks, where his reign has essentially resulted in absurd corner-cutting to save costs at all... uh, costs. The Disneyworld ~*experience*~ has gotten way worse under his rule, the workers are treated and paid like dogshit and frequently live in their cars in the park's parking lots, and even the products they sell have become second-rate. The make-your-own-lightsabers in the big new Star Wars park are brittle pieces of crap and they're, like, a main thing there.

If his philosophy carries over to the film division, you can probably expect a lot more lesser-known actors, writers, directors, etc. they can get for megacheap and surviving on the sheer strength of the brands, or even "introducing" new stars they can wrangle the cheapest possible contracts out of. Iger has been talking about wanting to step down for a while now, the surprise here is that he did it a year earlier than he said he would. I don't think there's any big drama, he just wants to retire. (gently caress him anyways though)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Because non-CineD goons will complain in perpetuity, forever, about how they want to discuss movies in a different atmosphere than CineD only to forget their new alternative exists after a month. So maybe making it an RSF was a great idea.

It was pretty funny how the QCS thread requesting the RSF was full of people complaining about how toxic and terrible CineD was and all of them had been run out of the forum for being various shades of awful.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, back before he was famous. Apparently he posted some samples of his stuff in the music subforum and everyone told him it sucked.

It still does.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah I really hope people go "gently caress that" and don't bite, especially since the options are "a movie everyone saw already" or "The goddamn loving Hunt"

Seriously The Hunt might legitimately be one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life, it literally exists solely to rile up 8chan hellfuckers

hey man

trolls world tour

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Everyone who doesn't like BioShock 2 is dumb

Go and listen to the tape where the antagonist is coded as evil for not wanting a pregnancy to slow down her career and get back to me.

Bioshock 1 and 3 are games with scripts by an ambitious but awful writer, Bioshock 2 doesn't get above your average episode of South Park in terms of intellectualism.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, while I'm not against social distancing staying around to some extent, if it keeps looking like it does now, then being alive for that sounds kinda poo poo. There needs to be a middle ground of some kind between "everyone stays inside their house except when strictly necessary, nobody interacts without a minimum of 6 feet of physical space ever, public activities are illegal" and "EVERYBODY GO OUTSIDE AND COUGH ON EACH OTHER, LET'S HAVE A VIRUS PARTY."

e: Like, it's not just the economic impact of this that makes doing it for 18 months untenable; making, essentially, hikikomori behavior the new normal (or actively required) is going to completely obliterate the mental health of most people.

Moving to a mass telework model at the least would cut way the gently caress down on emissions, and this pandemic is really making employers show their rear end on how they've insisted it's not possible for decades.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/io9/status/1245445692736393218

OH, WORD? I WONDER WHO ASKED FOR THAT

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's honestly amazing how many "vote blue no matter who" arguments are shattered by the existence of Biden. The "but the Supreme Court!" point alone is destroyed by everything with Clarence Thomas, let alone the fact that Biden has been openly pro-life until he went silent on it at the beginning of this election.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anyone seen Extra Ordinary yet? The indie theater is streaming it and Will Forte can be really hit or miss.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I think it was SMG who called it "Black Panther for stupid people" not in the sense that it was just a dumber version of that movie, but in the sense that stupid people could relate and identify with the film in a similar way that Black people related to and identified with Black Panther.

That was Chapo Trap House’s episode on it, not SMG.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The flavor of state-sponsored propaganda usually does come in the form “there are some bad apples but we try our best and overall do good,” which is also why Captain Marvel - a movie which demonstrably had Air Force tie-ins - had the lightest possible criticism in the form of “some Air Force members were a bit sexist back in the 90s.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It also gets lost in the CIA criticism that it’s loving nuts that this supposed crown jewel of representation for African culture is a monarchy that decides its leaders through ritual combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

They choose their leaders through MMA because only the most explosive Wakandan is fit to lead.

Making him a goofy nerd is exactly the tactic they want to make him appear competent and likable. Like, from what I've heard about the Jack Ryan show, they make most of the characters adorkable geeks, same as a lot of popular characters on cop shows.

Raytheon runs events for kids, and cloaks it under the progressive mantle of getting girls into science.