Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sweetgrass posted:

lol I just flat out missed I before E's post, but gently caress it because I enjoyed that movie so much it deserves to be repeated anyway

shout out to the lighting in that scene in particular, Dafoe looking like a wraith flinging dire curses at a dude because he talked poo poo about his cooking was incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfD5u9Ary6M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Since I enjoy watching movie montages, I decided to take a crack at making some of my own this week. :sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkeVxH1Okaw

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I should rewatch Her. It's a movie that people keep boosting as one of the best of the decade and yet I constantly forget it exists and it just in my mind feels like such a forgettable sad guy movie. And I'm typically a big Spike Jonze and Joaquin Phoenix fan.
It's definitely a sadman flick, but in my mind it's got a leg up on the competition with an interesting sci-fi premise and Malick levels of wonderment to go with the melancholy.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Roth posted:

Only problem for me is that I find it so easy to get distracted from the movie while I watch it at home.
Theater screening probably wasn't an option I bet :toot:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Color Out of Space is so good, guys. Getting the first great film of 2020 early.

I'd put it among the ranks of Beyond the Black Rainbow, From Beyond and Prince of Darkness.
I caught it just before it was yoinked from the local theater. :coal:

Definitely a jack-of-all-trades containing everything i wanted to see.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

I like Us a lot, but Her Smell, Uncut Gems and Parasite are the trinity for me this year (I haven't seen 90% of the good movies this year).
I just watched Her Smell yesterday, it's great!

The Farewell is my favorite of 2019, but I think I'm in the minority there lol

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Here's my current ranking of 2019's Movies. I have a bunch of Netflix's poo poo to watch.
Dang, great picks and I dig that interface. (i'm still on criticker) :O

Long Day's Journey is up next on my list.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Criterion Channel is getting it this month!

edit: Get Letterboxd!
I have the DVD from Netflix, but no 3D option. And I'm all set up now: https://letterboxd.com/fenixdown/list/2019-ranked/

fancy stats posted:

It's loving great, though. I wonder how much the grandmother's resemblance to my own affected my viewing of the film.
Ah I'm glad you liked it. The drama always hits harder with a personal connection. I mainly love how it balances the conflict of east vs west and tradition vs modern very well, without taking a firm stance on any of these sides.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

The difference (which is the key factor in why NWR is my favorite working filmmaker and I cannot stand Anderson) is that Anderson thinks he's making statements that overcome the disconnect from the aesthetic while Refn absolutely has no interest in that whatsoever and the sheer empty soullessness is by design.
Have you seen Too Old to Die Young? If so, is it worth checking out?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

teagone posted:

I want more animated movies like Klaus tbh. The CG rendering that Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, or whatever studio capable of now just isn't impressive anymore. They all share the same aesthetic of 3D rendered clay, and it all feels so... lifeless. Klaus' animation has so much character and style, same for whatever Laika puts out.
While I agree, I did like the lighting and camera effects used in Toy Story 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZ2OY5-TeM

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

It's obvious which is these is the best. The middle one is the worst by far and the third one just doesn't pop like the original one does. It's like they forgot that he's supposed to be the foil visually as well as for all the other reasons. The muted colors are a bad choice.
I prefer this version:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Kanopy is a streaming service for public libraries. If your local library is a member, you can create an account using your library card number and stream a certain amount of movies per month for free. It's got a really great catalog, especially if you're into documentaries and foreign films, but some of the apps are buggy.
I was just thinking - isn't Hoopla the library one? Turns out they are both based on your library card, but slightly different selection. So I searched for Hard to Be a God on justwatch.com and it's on both. Wonder if there is a quality difference? :confused:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Deer Hunter definitely should be seen at least once by any film lover because it's such an iconic example of 70's New Hollywood and there's only so many of those. It's like seeing footage of a dinosaur.
Hey now, western PA is still like that!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It looks all grainy?
Grainy AF! Lots of people standing around going "this is this." Just more strip malls and the factories are empty.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Just watch Heathers instead of either of them.
Beat me to it. You must have ESPN or something...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What are some good Youtube channels that analyze movies? Basically the type of discussion we have in CD. I've mostly enjoyed Renegade Cut in large part because he has a ton of uploads, but his critiques are from the perspective of philosophy and ethics which isn't the appropriate lens for every movie.
I'm into Thomas Flight, Like Stories of Old, Storytellers, Now You See It, Rossatron, and Just Write. (your mileage may vary!)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

bows1 posted:

Good recs for a 60/70s classic I can watch tonight streaming for free? Netflix/Prime/Hulu/HBO

Maybe I’ll try to find the Long Good Friday?
The Conversation is on Prime if you haven't seen, along with Harold and Maude, Aguirre: the Wrath of God, and Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

This site may help: https://www.justwatch.com/

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

A bit of both, most likely. Evolving lighting techniques and tastes certainly account for some of it, but film stock chemical formulas shift over time and can significantly affect how a film looks.

To me, True Lies is the ultimate example of what you're talking about. Like a soap opera blockbuster, everything just has a weird smoothness, glow, and flatness.
Good example! The first three I thought of were Vampire's Kiss, Coming to America, and First Wives Club (only because I've seen FWC recently).

Doesn't seem to be overlap in the Tech Specs on IMDB though.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Just a bit of light viewing.

The Omega Man
Masque of the Red Death
No Blade of Grass
On the Beach
The Crazies
The Andromeda Strain
[REC]
Nice! I was thinking The Road, 28 Days Later, and The Quiet Earth.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is that a real list of classics? I don't think I've heard of any of those.

Gripweed posted:

Oh poo poo, Under the Dome complete series on DVD is only 19 bucks on Amazon! If there's anybody who is stuck at home and really stressed about this whole virus thing, get in on that. It is the dumbest show ever made, it will destroy all other thoughts in your head. You can't worry about the virus when you're thinking about a guy getting knocked unconscious by a small swarm of butterflies, or the mysterious glowing egg with it's own smaller dome, or just the word "dome" over and over again
I'm sold hahaha

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

I have some friends who usually hold a movie night on Sundays - since I'm guessing people here would know from Scream Streams and dickstreams and such, what's the best current way to stream video for a group of people watching separately?

Watch2gether is the one I remembered, and it looks like that's Youtube-only - can you use like rentals through youtube on that? Is there anything that lets you upload your own video?
Looking for the answer to this also. Watch2gether doesn't have a login option, so no rentals.

Rabbit was good back in the day because you were just sharing a browser window, and could log in to whatever.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The other popular option is kast, a screen-sharing app. It's got various tiers of service, and dropped frames and bitrate are serious concerns, but it's much less work than cytube.

Of course, in a pinch, you can always use twitch and hope you don't get caught. This poo poo used to be a lot easier back in the ustream/livestream days, but those sites have pivoted to exclusively serving big corporations who want to teleconference. Stay clear unless you wanna pay 1k a month.
Thanks, I am going to try Kast. It is not very user friendly, but it can broadcast a browser window or your entire desktop, so all streaming services and downloaded videos are fair game.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gripweed posted:

At the same time that Half Price Books closes it's stores for browsing, Amazon removes the "customers who bought this also bought" section. So now there's literally no way for me to browse movies.

This goddamn virus is taking away every decent thing in this world.
There's always Letterboxd. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is there a way to watch this movie?

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Best spaghetti scenes in cinema go to Killing of a Sacred Deer
nice

ruddiger posted:

Best spaghetti scene is in Gummo and I won’t hear otherwise.
NICE

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Also, anyone got some recommendations for more live action crazy screwball poo poo like What's Up Doc?
Bit of a late response, but I'm throwing it out because I tracked down a bunch of non-B&W screwball comedies back in the day and here are the ones I'd recommend (including 2 from Bogdonavich!)

The Ladykillers (1955), It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963), Sex and the Single Girl (1964), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966), The Producers (1967), Cactus Flower (1969), Sleeper (1973), Overboard (1987), Oscar (1991), Brain Donors (1992), Noises Off (1992), Hudsucker Proxy (1994), Intolerable Cruelty (2003), Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008), She's Funny That Way (2015)

Gripweed posted:

I really can't wrap my head around the idea of having the Iron Giant fight the Gundam. I mean, who watches The Iron Giant and thinks, "drat, I really wish we could've seen that thing gently caress some poo poo up"
I like the inclusion of Kaneda's bike, but I'll never forgive them for loving up Mechagodzilla's rainbow beam. :argh:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Not collecting toys as an adult >>>>>>>>> collecting toys as an adult
I've said that for years, buuuuut I do have this on my computer desk. :sweatdrop:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Not just racist slurs but yeah, a lotta hate speech and also more explicit threats to other people and various small details about just everyday cruelty. One of the first lines he has on the show cuts right before he says a bunch of slurs iirc.
https://twitter.com/InThierry/status/1244835538135384064

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've never seen close encounters in guessing I should change that
It's one of those films I wish I had seen in the theater for the first viewing. Still worth checking out of course - crank the sound up!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Renegade Cut but he's right in that this is reflective of the state of video essays, and internet criticism in general, where the debate is no longer about analysis of the work itself or any kind of artistic criticism so much as it is a race to establish memes. RLM does this kind of poo poo constantly.
I agree with your general point - hell I've had many of my own rants about Cinema Sins, Everything Wrong With, How it Should have Ended, Honest Trailers, etc.

However, in this case wouldn't the criticism be more of a lament? The Star Trek universe went the same direction as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Godzilla, and everything else in that the new films/tv shows retool the IP to be generic action flicks for mainstream audiences, occasionally throwing in easter eggs to keep the "true fans" happy.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

What’s the best fairly-recent, mostly-serious film about vampires that isn’t Let the Right One In?

Or Let Me In.
Thirst

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

It's absolutely humiliating being a citizen of the United States of America :smith:
But we are free and brave!!!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

I prefer the classics, like Cleo from 6 to 9
:allears:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

So instead you got social media shitfights about white women haircuts that extend to the highest reaches of world power. Revolting! Clown country, get rid of it
I'm all for poking holes in the myth of american exceptionalism, and I think it's insane that for most people the ultimate enemy is "my neighbor who said a thing," but you gotta admit you're being just as reductionist and inflammatory as anyone else. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Unrelated

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1261134466388459520?s=20

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Are the metrics are thrown off when an actor is in something universally considered trash? Like Pacino in Jack & Jill, or

Gripweed posted:

John C Reilly
in Sherlock Holmes, or

CPL593H posted:

Gary Oldman.
in Tiptoes?

Like career anchors :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

K. Waste posted:

See, the thing that's actually interesting here is that IMDb's male voters are clearly over-represented by users of Indian ethnicity or non-US in general. Two Bollywood movies, one ranked higher than "Unforgiven"?
They aren't ranked higher than Unforgiven if it's at #110. But Taare Zameen Par is ranked higher than a handful of the others at #138.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gripweed posted:

That's not how it works, it's not showing what women and guys like the most, but the biggest difference between rankings from women and guys
I bet you there's actually a lot of consensus, but it's great to see what bubbles up on the disagreement scale.

I wonder if someone did the opposite test to show which stuff is the most agreed on?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Plus the boring rear end characters, or lack thereof. I know that Jackson has said that the studio wouldn't allow him to focus on fleshing out the dwarves as characters, but as soon as you hear that edict how do you not use every ounce of your clout to push back or quit?
My mind is blown! Do you have a source for that?

Splint Chesthair posted:

“I’m the drat Bat-erfamilias!”
Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gatts posted:

Video games have the potential to be better than movies because of its ability to interact with the gamer on another level and present a more unique experience. On the one hand I get trying to be cinematic but I think that’s a mistake to ape movies. Some of the greatest games don’t ape movies but can still have narratives. I don’t think games have reached their potential but it’s like movies that some of the finer ones are not the AAA blockbusters that get attention.

You can have your God of War 4 but on the other hand even stuff like Catherine or Valkyrie Profile has its place too and I’ve not played games lately though I’m sure there is some mobile or simpler wii game with gameplay and mechanics that can say something
I can't speak too broadly on the subject because I don't play that many games, but one mechanic that works very effectively for me is scarcity. In games like Papers Please, This War of Mine, and Pyre, there is no "perfect" playthrough because you're not building a super powerful character, just diverting effort and resources in a way that helps some characters and could potentially hurt others.

That being said, the dog aspect of Last of Us 2 is kinda funny - sounds like they are trying to be a little too clever with it. The only complaint I had seen up til now was "there is a girl in it." :D