Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I forget, doesn't the dude in Blue Ruin just like fall asleep at one point while he's waiting for the Evil Family to get back and almost gently caress it all up because of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Guys the Netflix Dracula lives up to the hype, the first episode really plays up the sexual tension between Dracula and Harker and also the Dracula makeup in the beginning looks like Ackroyd in Nothing But Trouble.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's like if modern Lambert played Raiden.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lurdiak posted:

And I'm sure if you ask Moffat about it he'll say that it's all in your head and you're a weirdo.

Okay but a character literally asks, in the opening minutes of the show, if Jonathan Harker had sex with Dracula. And then he has a sex dream and Mina turns into Vlad Akroyd.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tonight's movie which i have finally decided to sit down and watch after years of putting off is Shadow of the Vampire.

I remember really liking it when I rented the tape back in highschool, I revisited it a few years back and it's like, fine. Dafoe is pretty fun.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A yam, Spartacus.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
5 seconds earlier
Spartacus, bursting into the room: "What the gently caress is that, a sweet potato?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: Hello friends! Announcement time. :siren:

Sleeveless aka Guy Mann is no longer allowed to post in Cinema Discusso. They are officially banned. Admins are aware and support my decision. If you see Sleeveless or any of their alt accounts post in any thread in CineD, please report them so they can be banned.

And I hope other constant poo poo-posters learn from Sleeveless's excellent example that if I ask you to not be such an insufferable poster over and over, or you start eating probations every other day, you will be banned. Posting is not a right.

Sleeveless has a little time before his next probation gets put into place, so don't rush to report him for a ban. The ban goes into effect after their probation is over.

I like that a different mod also put in a week long probe for him at the same time.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Kerrang! posted about my work, which is pretty neat

I’m the guy they keep calling emo

https://www.kerrang.com/features/20-visual-artists-you-need-to-know-in-2020/

Hell yes my dude

CPL593H posted:

So a heads up, this is going to be a tragedy post.

My cousin's baby just died and she wants to leave the apartment where the kid died because she can't stand being there. Plus they have other kids. The problem is they are dirt poor so they need help. Someone started a go fund me for her. If you can't/don't want to give please signal boost this.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fontenelles-fresh-start

Christ that's rough. Suddenly losing my daughter through some random thing I could never prevent is a constant anxiety, it's lessened a little since she was a baby but it's always there. My heart goes out to your family.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Holy poo poo this guy's voice, and also face.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ghost Dog whips very hard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We've gotten in the habit of just leaving subtitles/captioning on all the time since the only time we really can watch anything is after our daughter's in bed and we don't want to be too loud. We were watching Snatch and having Brad Pitt and his kin captioned kind of ruined it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Robert Pattinson had pretty open contempt for Twilight and was very upfront about only being in it for the money. People who don't like him are just squares. I think he rules, there aren't too many people I can think of that were in a huge franchise, made gently caress you money, and then used that as an opportunity to quietly go off and just make movies they'd like to be in. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe, but Pattinson's output is way better than anything Daniel Radcliffe has done since Harry Potter.

Elijah Wood has basically done the same thing, but also most of his post-lotr movies have been garbage. It turns out he just really likes schlock.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Woof.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They really are doing all the Sinister Six movies. Bizarre.

Swiss Miss movie confirmed

edit: Kraven The Hunter is just going to be a straight up tragic love story, the man who loves animals a little too much

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Night Flier should be added to the MCU.

Blade can hunt him!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really hated G:KotM, I thought the monster fights were bad and felt weightless, they gave me no sense of scale or place. Maybe it's just the director, I really hated Krampus too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zuzu Bailey : Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.

George Bailey : That's right, that's right. Attaboy, Clarence, you piece of poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Was that the boogeyman, you piece of poo poo?

As a matter of fact, it was, you piece of poo poo.

He's gone! The evil is gone from this place! You piece of poo poo!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

a franchise that includes an appearance from the current president of the united states

Yeah, true!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Black bottom every day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

I like them but not enough to try and obtain the dozens and dozens of records they've put out. I just grab the better known stuff or whatever turns up now and again. I know a guy who's a big Residents fan so I have a good consultant.

Wolf Eyes has a couple hundred albums, but I think the vast majority are limited to extremely small run cassettes personally copied by the band. Also a couple of them are just Andrew WK for some reason.

edit: I was wrong it's apparently well over 1000 albums if you believe Henry Rollins

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 22, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's pretty dumb but like, fine enough. Things happen, it doesn't really drag.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't really been taking about this because it's weird and kinda personal, but the Kobe thing is extra weird because my wife and I went to his high school and because odd that I've always kind of hated him. Also the whole rape thing.

Skwirl posted:

Is Kobe Bryant going to be in the "In Memoriam" part of the Oscars?

My wife and I were taking about that last night, came to the conclusion that

pospysyl posted:

I'd be surprised if he wasn't, seeing as he's an Academy Award winner.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

Double feature idea

Adaptation. X Little Women (2019)

I was wondering who the common cast members would be and was guessing Judy Greer, but got caught off guard by the twofer!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

New Movie of the Month thread is up for February

Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love

Goddamn this movie's incredible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

Post thoughts/remarks/experiences in the thread proper so more people watch and talk about it!

It's been something like 13 years since I've seen it, so I don't feel comfortable discussing it outside of general platitudes right now. I'm going to try to get the wife to watch it with me this week and will join in the conversation if we do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cassandra Peterson is legit a great host and character actor, she commits to the act in a really fun way.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Raimi’s gonna add snap zooms, Dutch angles and POV shots Ted and Bruce to the film and it’s gonna loving own.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Presumably that it took 92 years for it to happen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

Lost Philip Seymour Hoffman performance. Watch it before they take it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpnUbTKltI

:nws: by the way

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There were things I liked about Shazam, but most of that came from Zach Levi and the child cast. Everything around Mark Strong was clunky and felt like the worst parts of Kick rear end or something, and overall it felt cheap, like extremely Toronto.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

This is the other side of the coin from that Christian review site that counted blasphemies in every movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Does the UK just exist to make US immigration seem sane and reasonable by comparison?

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1229898059104034821?s=20

One of the US' main visa applications is for "this is an essential talent or skill and I'm the only person in the world that has it." I believe this is the visa that the first lady used when immigrating.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

fenix down posted:

I was just thinking - isn't Hoopla the library one? Turns out they are both based on your library card, but slightly different selection. So I searched for Hard to Be a God on justwatch.com and it's on both. Wonder if there is a quality difference? :confused:

They're both library streaming services. My local library uses hoopla my workplace library uses kanopy. Kanopy has some great highbrow movies including the movie of the month for February. Hoopla overall seems to have a lot of baseline garbage on it, but it does have the remastered Phantasm which alone makes it top-tier for streaming services.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I mention this every time Ravenous comes up, but just a reminder that it ends with the main characters fighting with a giant knife and a giant fork.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's rich with symbolism, and also licking me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also lovely cinematography, flat color work, and I’m gonna assume the sound is poo poo even though I didn’t listen to it.

Also :lol: at those punches

It's just kind of amateur overall. It's not necessarily that the framing is wrong because it violates x rule, it's just meaningless and incoherent. It doesn't speak or understand the language. It's arbitrary.

It's like when you see a house designed by the owner or the builder but not by an architect; it's a vague approximation of what a house should look like but there's no reason for a column to be there and the roof lines don't make sense. It was designed so the rooms could individually look like that with no consideration of the exterior or how they come together.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They clearly wash their little hands, I don't see the problem here.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bomrek posted:

İ think being used to HD and 1040p and etc and etc is half of it. The other half is whatever makes it look so distinct from 70s/80s film grain.

İ might be just tripping here, it's not impossible, but the quality of picture inthis:

Looks so distinct from this:

That it makes me want to find out what changed in the early 90s to account for it.

I think it's probably the stock you're noticing. Those shots are radically different in terms of lighting, etc but I get what you mean about the smoothness. Different film stocks and development techniques had quirks, but that shot in particular seems to have light/mediums reds and browns that all kinds of wash together but blacks that stay sharp, well defined and inky. That sounds to me like it's probably a film stock thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I don't think this movie has any deeper meaning, it's just supposed to be fun!"

"You're wrong, bite my entire scrote"

CPL593H posted:

"THAT loving FORUM IS AWFUL AND EVERYONE THERE IS A loving SNOB!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Interview With The Vampire.