Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Franchescanado posted:

Skimbleshanks confused me, because he's the only cat who wears pants, and he wears them prominently. Skimbleshanks broke my friend, because all of the cats started wearing shoes during his song.

Well how could a cat tap dance without shoes on? That just doesn't make sense fran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movie titles that contradictor and/or compliment each other? Like: Too Old to Die Young, Never Too Young To Die, and No Time to Die

a gradually increasing number of women

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Coaaab posted:

it's time for adam sandler's holocaust comedy

The Day The Clown Cried, but with a modern big budget.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've been getting back into Lupin III lately and god this franchise whips rear end

I've watched two out of the three movies that Takeshi Koike (as in the guy who made loving Redline) directed and they're loving incredible

I watched all the Lupin the Third movies last year and while they can vary wildly in quality, some of them are really amazing, those ones especially.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Rihanna is more or less topless (or wearing very see through clothes) in every music video she's In and no one gives a poo poo.

Those don't air on broadcast television tho. Busybodies can't get the government to intervene otherwise.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Just because I know there are some Boston goons here, my dad got a letter claiming to be from some toll collection unit is Massachusetts saying he owes them for a toll on Jan 8.

My dad lives in Seattle and both him and his car was definitely not in Mass. on Jan 8th. The license plate listed is for his car

It's only $1.25 so if it's legit (as in actually from whatever agency or third party is in charge of tolls) I'd say just send a money order but I'm (and they're) paranoid about it being from scammers to try and steal some sort of banking info from him. Has anyone heard of anything like that? or is it just whoever actually drove through had a partially obscured plate and whatever computer program came up with the wrong number?

Was it sent registered mail? If not, you never received it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

What do you mean close

We don't have the casual nudity levels of his movies. At least not anywhere that I'm welcome.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Look, you don't have to make up reasons for me to vote for him.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

So I went to go see the Sonic movie.

3.33.../5

How did it make you feel about Olive Garden?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I still don’t know if that poo poo was supposed to be a gag or not.

I don't know either but there's no way the studio did that for free.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

He also had a huge issue with Rosie Perez being in the movie, and his argument was that he loved her in White Men Can't Jump? I really couldn't follow his logic.

Sounds like he doesn't like that women age.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

He already got past the worst parts though

Depends on if they are restricting themselves to just the MCU or not. Like there's the 70s Dr Strange movie starring Jessica Walter or the '90 Captain America movie starring J.D. Salinger's son where the mask has fake ears on it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

My favorite bad BBC costume is zaphod from the hitchhikers show but it's my favorite show 3ver so it has a excuse

That's bad, but it's no bubble wrap monster.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was fantastic. Despite being enthralled by the trailers, for some reason I never thought to look up who made it. Seeing Céline Sciamma in the credits made it all come together since all her work has been amazing.
Also, Emma. was just ok, I need to watch the Gwyneth Paltrow version this weekend to compare.

Edit: lol that The Invisible Man spoiler, I think I want to see it now.

duz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 28, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I really want to see Emma.

It's the directorial debut of photographer Autumn De Wilde, who's art you've probably seen if you listen to indie music (Jenny Lewis, Beck, etc.). Her daughter is Arrow De Wilde, who is the weird lead singer of the rock band Starcrawler.

It's not playing anywhere near me. :(

It's a pretty movie. It did make me want to rewatch Little Women though.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Extra Ordinary is pretty good but it’s not exactly the kind of film I’d rush out to see in a theater.

Yeah, it's a solid little comedy. Nothing too spectacular but not a waste of time if you happen to catch it.

I still can't decide if I want to reward the makers of The Hunt with a ticket or not.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

And the Alamo Drafthouse is shutting down. Pretty soon any building that holds more than 10 people will be closed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

bows1 posted:

I’m sorry for everyone having issues with the virus. Cases in nyc went up by 15% last night and all I hear are sirens throughout the day.

On a more positive note i just watched The Fugitive and it ruled. Any other fun classics out there in a similar vein. I’m not looking for anything sad currently there is enough sadness in real life.

Also, anything with an also great TLJ performance cause young Tommy is amazing

The Park Is Mine from 1985 was fun. He's a vet who booby traps Central Park to raise awareness of Vietnam vets. Also a good grimey 80s NYC movie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Skin I Live In. Fun one to go out on. Altho the week before it was a 35mm print of Alligator (1980) for 35mm day. That would've been a good end for different reasons.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1248821183459426306

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1245040219415408640

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I will never understand the appeal of funko pops.

Because where else could you get a statuette of the raped and murdered corpse of an underage girl and have people not immediately call the police?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1249616330220847106

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Well, at least they're trying.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That's cause Battle for Endor has Wilford Brimley which makes it the clearly superior film.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Cameo posted:

In terms of enjoying their craft, yeah probably. In terms of pay for amount of work put in, probably the crossover stuff since they work like an eighth of the schedule on their solo movies. Show up, work with a few people in front of a green screen, everyone’s home by 5, you wrap on it like a week and a half later because like all of your close-ups in said crossover got filmed when you were shooting your solo movie, you show up on the red carpet a year later.

Gwyneth Paltrow has said the reason she signed on for Iron Man was that she would get to go home to her family every night and that was worth whatever extra terms Marvel was asking.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

I really liked his Dr. Who stuff when he'd just write an episode every season for a few years. I even liked most of the first season when he took over as showrunner as well as the first season of Sherlock that was airing at about the same time. I think having some success went to his head very quickly and he flelt like he had license to indulge in all of his worst habits as a writer, and his bad habits are bad.

His stuff went from decent with some annoying quirks to outright embarrassing at breakneck speed.

Yeah, he can write 1-3 hours of good tv a year. Unfortunately he writes a lot more than that.
I still need to watch the Tintin movie he did for Steven Spielberg. Maybe I'll do that this week.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

To be fair that was from the Russell T Davies era which had it's own problems that can probably be best exemplified when later on in that episode Andrew Garfield gets turned into a pig man.

You mention that but not the guy that fucks a concrete slab?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm trying to resolve something here. Was the last decade the worst decade for comedy films? Like I know some good comedies came out, Dolemite Is My Name was a great and hilarious time to close out the decade for example. But like between

The Hangover movies

Every Adam Sandler production

Every Seth McFarlane movie

Paul Feig's movies

Every Will Ferrell movie

Kevin Smith's output

poo poo like Movie 43, Sausage Party and The Happytown Murders

forgettable garbage like Let's Be Cops or We Bought a Zoo

Were the 2010s the worst decade for comedy since the Hays code was put in place? Or am I just letting the outsized marketing reach of the bad poo poo skew my perspective.

I agree but that's because I feel that mainstream comedies learned the wrong lesson from Anchorman and think they don't need to write jokes anymore, they can just hire SNL cast members and film them riffing and edit together a movie out of that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The original airing had Michael sing those songs, it's only later that things got weird. I think that's more of a "Michael Jackson has serious problems" thing than a label thing.

You sure? That's not what the cast and crew say. He sang them at the table read but the record always had Kipp Lennon according to them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

They're making a movie about Hurricane Maria.

Specifically, they're making a movie where Mel Gibson, his blonde daughter, and white son-in-law who is also a cop all have to work together to shoot an evil gang of Puerto Ricans who are using the hurricane as cover so they can steal stuff.

But Hurricane Heist already exists, how can they top that?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

morestuff posted:

Oops, HBO apparently ditched BAMTech and are using AT&T's service. Still weird!

Well AT&T owns HBO now and is rebadging all their streaming options with it so not that weird. I mean, it's dumb but it's not weird.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Just because it's common doesn't make it legal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

TLOU2 apparently has a bit where you’re forced to brutally kill an attack dog that is later followed up by a playable flashback of another character playing with said dog, which is so comically po-faced and ham handed that I don’t know how anyone could take the game seriously after that

lol, it's literally a scene cut from Austin Powers because it was too stupid even for them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is anyone actually interested in going to a movie theater with a mask on? It would suck all the entertainment value out of the experience. Either watch movies on your couch and stay safe, or YOLO without a mask.

What entertainment value of a movie is erased by wearing a mask? Making out?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The audiobook version of The Martian I started listening to had him pronouncing ASCII as A-S-C-2. I ended up buying the book and reading it myself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Skwirl posted:

This reads like a chapter in a Brett Easton Ellis novel.

https://twitter.com/InsaneLetterbox/status/1291914182871396355?s=20

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

As is usually the case with these sorts of things the point flew over their heads because the Palantir drove Denethor mad by selectively giving him badly contextualized and misleading information

Actual vampire Peter Theil knows 100% what Palantir was and picked it on purpose.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think I’ve watched one episode of SNL, I never got it honestly. Is it the kinda thing where you had to be around when it was still good?

Personally, I’ve always felt about Conan’s show the way people talk about SNL.

I think it's more that it's only good if you are a child who is staying up past their bedtime to watch the forbidden comedy. When people point to when they enjoyed SNL the most, that's usually when they point to.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

But is it the opening night stereo release or the two weeks later and already changed mono release?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Now that I would be excited for. Cunk on Britain is fantastic. But its not really a mockumentary, because it's presenting largely true information, just by a stupid person

They had Philomena Cunk and Barry Shitpeas as parodic vox pop segments, but when presenting general information it was mostly Brooker's VO

I think my favorite Cunk bit was the next episode preview of her trying to figure out where her lap went when she stood up. Such a great character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I'm glad the director realized real life hacking is boring and instead jazzed it up to show off what it feels like to be 18 years old and able to do anything with a computer.