Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

37,707 posts

32 Title Changes in 12 months.

Thread Rating:

14 Votes for 5 Star (six of which were lurkers and not persons who actually posted, which is pretty funny)
13 Votes for 2 Star
8 Votes for 1 Star

Total votes 40, average rating 3.02

Posting rate: Roughly 72 pages of posts a month, which is a little faster/popular than previous year(s)

I may have fatfingered a vote accidentally while phonebrowsing. Sorry.

Oh hey, can you actually check what/if I voted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

You're actually taking this posting more than me thing seriously, aren't you?

Nerd pride trumps all, my friend

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

uh so...Party plane Jones huh. Fran, is there...reason to be concerned about the mods on this dead gay forum?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It'd be like if I became mod and then went into the Scream Stream discord and started asking people who I should probate.

If you ever do need suggestions, let me know, I got a little list.

Also Fran, if I were a mod I would probate your rear end for stepping away from family events or a date to deal with a screaming match between petulant manchildren on a dead gay forum, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that. Please promise us you will never ever do that again.

Having said all that, you are by far my favorite mod on this site and I appreciate you :glomp:

Franchescanado posted:

And to address this, most of the ratings are probably fat-fingered. That's why I posted the ratings, cuz it's just random. I have a list of every goon who voted and what they voted, I just didn't share that.

I give you full permission to share with the class what my rating of the previous thread is. Tell meeee

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

You rated the last thread a 1.0, hahaha

:negative:

Well, voted 5 to make up for my sins. the rest of you better not make me regret it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Woman of Straw/ Man of Steel

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

A few days ago I got to hang out with one of my favorite comedians (who is an associate and probably friend of Louis CK) in a cigar bar. So it was fun for a bit and then some how the topic of Louis CK came up which is a subject my brother and I have argued about one too many times so I just said I didn't want to have the conversation again. I was then treated to 20-30 minutes (I'm not entirely sure how long because I think I entered a time dilation) of explanation about how CK's side of the story was never told and how the public narrative doesn't reflect the series of events given by his primary accuser. Basically he outright asked me what I thought about CK and I declined to answer, so then he told me "I don't care you can just say it.". It was a trap. If I had to make a list of single most awkward moments of my life this would easily take the number one spot.

Never meet your idols, kids.

Who was the comedian?

Also what the gently caress could CK possibly have to say that would ameliorate jerking off in front of an unwilling bystander?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Ian Mckellen tweeted this 2 days ago.

https://twitter.com/IanMcKellen/status/1215709543272812544?s=20

The only reason I didn't post here then is his website was getting so hammered that it was inaccessible, seems to be working now though, albeit slowly.

This is great reading as a lotr fan, so thank you.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Ian McKellen posted:

It can be surprisingly tiring in heavy robes twisting and turning even only on the spot, stabbing and slicing the air as a sedentary director watching a TV monitor of the action a few yards away shouts encouragement "More vicious! Behind You! Again - hit him again! It's an effort! It's exhausting! One last effort!" Then blessedly after a couple of minutes when my arms feel they are about to drop off, it's "Excellent Ian! Alright?" as Peter levers himself up from the reinforced armchair (built years back for a visit from Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News) and hurries to shake my hand. "And that is a wrap on Ian McKellen!"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/NovaArksenth/status/1217674033220608001?s=19

Tag yourself, I'm anticistamines

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I will not say do not cry, for not all tears are of evil....you piece of poo poo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tell me, you have Jor-El's memories; his conscience. Can you experience his pain? I will harvest the codex from your son's corpse, and I will rebuild Krypton atop his bones, you piece of poo poo

Nobody cares about Clark Kent taking on the Batman, you piece of poo poo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

HARRY DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE, YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Safety Factor posted:

Cumpozit

Edit: I hadn't intended this post to remind me of the "poz my neg rear end" bug chasers stuff, but it did. Oops.

:laffo:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone got any stories of people missing the point in movies? Yesterday, I had a friend unironically tell me it's ok for a white guy to voice Apu, citing RDJ being able to play a black guy in Tropic Thunder.

...how do you not watch a movie that hard?

BvS has a ton of those. One that sticks out was some goober complaining about why Batman had an armoured suit for fighting Superman.

And who can forget Antmans legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/BadFilmTakes/status/1148064912406695937?s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of his fatalities or brutalities would have to be what he did to Billy Batts in Goodfellas

Seriously, that either has to be someone with no understanding of undertones/subtext or blatant trolling

That is the kind of person who is constantly wrong about everything. Follow up

https://twitter.com/BadFilmTakes/status/1148217527652294656?s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wasn't Beyonce fined for something as well?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

He was filthy rich.

Also plain filthy.

Kidding aside, he's an attractive, semi-fit dude with loads of cash and a sociopathic personality that has zero qualms about lying, him getting laid frequently is not a mystery.

Ted getting laid however...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Duel of the Fates from The Phantom Menace is one of the best pieces ever composed by John Williams. And it's in the Phantom Menace.

I'm confused. Wasn't the original question "Good scores in otherwise bad movies?"

Vincent posted:

Hey buddy, what the hell?

When was the last time you watched it, cause let me tell you, Street Fighter it ain't.

It does have a lot of ripped barechested guys though, which I appreciated

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

You're dead to me.

;-*

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up, throwing a rope at someone and yelling "Get over here!" is not at all a good way of flirting with someone and may lead to legal action being taken against you.

You clearly haven't been to the right bdsm clubs :v:

Unrelated, I just saw this emoji, stadia:
someone has strong feelings on the stadia thing huh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Was thinking about starting a big thread dedicated specifically to cinematography/cinematographers. There isnt an old dead one already is there?

No, there is not, but your idea sounds interesting. What exactly did you have in mind?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

It's a solid B+ movie.

It does have a campy entertainment factor, I will give you that. And, this cannot be stressed enough, lots of hot shirtless men.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So it turns out the Iowa Democratic Party is probably no kidding stealing votes from Bernie

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1225167351617712128

That this happened while I was watching The Man Who Short Liberty Valance is kinda fitting. Good movie, loved Edmond O’Brien as one of the best scene-chewing drunks of all the silver screen.

So educate a filthy foreigner here, if the county says "You got our count wrong, this is what we counted", do they correct the erronous numbers and delegate delegates appropriatly?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh good. Things are as bleak as ever in the US political landscape. Fantastic.

And now I find myself applauding Mitt loving Romney of all people. This really is the worst loving timeline.

CPL593H posted:

Uhhh, what?

Kirk Douglas is rumored to have raped Natalie Wood back in the 50's, and was apparently a Weinstein-esque figure in Old Hollywood.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm utterly baffled that so many people are so angry at the Joker movie, considering how bland it is.

Edit: Especially considering a significant portion of those people are angry because another bland movie, marriage story, didn't get all the awards

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Guys, guys, I’m sorry, no, there’s a mistake. Parasite, you guys won best picture. This is not a joke. Come up here.

I somehow feel this would provoke the least amount of outrage, like everyone would either be happy that it won or just grudgingly concede it was a good choice even if their preferred movie didn't win.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't know why but i am gettlng some serious American Psycho from Buttgieg. If you told me he knew what human flesh tastes like I would believe you

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

What does this mean?

You know the saying "a dumb mans idea of a smart person"? Yeah, basically the same thing. She starts with a conclusion and works her way backwards to justify it with semi-academic jargon, and people eat it up because it validates their opinions on stuff and lends a faux objective sheen to their likes and dislikes

CelticPredator posted:

film people are terrible. lindsey ellis is good you smug fucks.

CelticPredator posted:

its a smug snipe.

Well if anyone would recognize a smug snipe it'd be you, I guess

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You heard about the time he was gonna have an event at a gay bar and then canceled the day of when his husband saw they had a dance pole, right

Gripweed posted:

There's also this

:laffo: he's really the loving worst, isn't he? Even Biden can't seem to stand that guy

In Oscar related chat, I'm pleasantly surprised this year. Best actor for Phoenix, Best Picture for Parasite and a big fat nothing for Endgame. Good choices all around

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Birds of Prey is one of the best recent DC movies, why is it flopping. You loving people watched Suicide Squad. You people watched Batman v Superman. You people watched Justice League. Why are you letting this movie die on the vine, this (checks notes) perfectly good B+ of a movie

BvS was great, and SS won an Oscar

loving no one liked Justice League

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm Biohazard

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I also thought Birds of Prey was really fun, and the best DC movie since Nolan's Bats.

It's flawed, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

This weekend, I got into a weird conversation with a guy who hated it. "Harley Quinn is supposed to be batshit insane, and she absolutely isn't in this movie!" Uh, yeah dude, the whole opening scene is addressing that this characterization is not that at all. So there's still gonna be people that hate it based on preconceived notions based on... some version of Harley Quinn? He also had a huge issue with Rosie Perez being in the movie, and his argument was that he loved her in White Men Can't Jump? I really couldn't follow his logic.

What?! People not liking a DC comic book character based on some entirely unfounded and vague preconceived idea of what the character is supposed to be? Color me shocked. Shocked I say! That's never happened before!

This is gonna be a real hot take, but imo not a single one of DCEUs capeflicks have been bad. Even Suicide Squad, the arguably worst of the lot, still had some interesting things going on and was at least ok-ish. Even Shazam, which I really disliked personally, was a pretty decent movie if you can stomach the cheesy 90's family humor.

The trick is of course to enjoy the films on their own merits instead of trying to compare them to the competition. I really like that they're letting directors actually go in their own direction instead of churning out the same movie over and over again.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I greatly enjoyed WWDITS and generally found Ragnarok okay (haven't seen Jojo Rabbit yet) but my take on Watiti, in light of both his works and some interviews he's given, is that he's a very good creative who is acutely aware of how quickly Hollywood is willing and able to completely dumpster PoC creators of his tier if they step out of line, and he's already made the calculus to compromise the gently caress out of his bolder tendencies if it keeps him from getting thrown out of his career.

My impression of him is that he's either got a serious ego or real thin skin, which is kind of at odds with his comedy genre

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Don't worry, in 5 years or so the answer will be Avengers Endgame. '

...Yeah I know, but it still is a step up, alright?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The last action hero is a stone cold classic

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timby posted:

It really, really isn't. It's got some great bits but overall it's entirely too self-indulgent.

Isn't that kind of the point?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Elizabeth Warren chiding Sanders for not stopping her from killing Iranians with psycho sanctions is almost there but not quite, I think there's a couple more degrees of absurdity possible

I'm sorry, what?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dickeye and BotL being gone (or on parachutes with such changed behavior as to be undetectable) is an absolutely massive change.

If I had to condense it down to a generalization I would say a lot of the outright screamers are gone, even if a lot of snide posters are still here and getting bolder now that the top predators of the ecosystem are no longer present, and their niche no longer full.

It's like a little Galapagos Islands of posting.

I honestly haven't noticed any bigger change here, I think people vastly overestimate the impact BoTL had.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

It didn't have to be a big impact. He was a miserable rear end in a top hat who contributed nothing but hostility and toxic behavior. BoTL was the epitome of all the worst aspects of the forums.

He was fine when he actually put efforts into his posting. From time to time he had some really insightful poo poo to say, unfortunately late stage BoTL the ratio was 1 good post for every ten bad ones, and in the end he was more troll than man

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

In Retrospect I should've realized there was probably good reason I had never heard of a Steven Spielberg directed, Robert Zemeckis written comedy starring John Candy Dan Akroyd and John Belushi

1941 has great acting, great direction, a great score, great production design. But it's not funny. There are some good jokes, but they're few and far between in this two and a half hour long comedy movie. So many of the jokes just don't land. They barely even try to land. I've never seen a movie with so many jokes where the punchlines aren't so much punchlines as ellipses. The jokes just kinda trail off

From the information presented on the box I assumed that the movie was about Dan Akroyd and John Candy as Civil Defense officers suddenly given too much authority by the outbreak of the war. It turns out, that is just one of like seven goddamn subplots. The main plot is this loving interminable love triangle thing. And there's a godawful thing where a guy is stuck on a ferris wheel, a plot about a Japanese submarine that was surprisingly not racist for the time but also not funny, a general who likes Dumbo, his assitant who is trying to gently caress a lady with an airplane fetish, a family that has stuff going on, I'm pretty sure there's at least one more i'm forgetting. So many subplots, none of them funny or interesting

All those subplots do come together at the end. And by the end, I mean an hour and fifty minutes into the movie. Which then kicks off a solid half hour of action comedy spectacle. It would've been exhausting if I hadn't checked out of the movie mentally well before that point

1951 is a weird movie, seeing all this talent and technical ability be used in the service of a comedy that produces no laughter.

Speaking of love plots, looking back, does anyone find it a bit strange how they shoehorned in a love story into like, every single movie up to some 10-20ish years ago? Even in movies that really would benefit from not having a love interest (looking at you, every single Batman movie) they still manage to insert some hackneyed romance or some damsel in distress that rides off with the hero at sunset

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

We're catposting?

She does as she pleases.

Oh my goosh she looks like a stuffed animal, so cuuuute.

All these fur babies look adorable :3:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

therattle posted:

Three cheers for Iceland!

Neigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yes I know it's low hanging fruit but I want to emphasize I don't care