Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«84 »
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Video games. We love them because they eat our time and fill our worthless lives with something to do. I know I like them, and hell, you do too, you nerd.

But how much do we like video games? Enough to have a megathread about them! And also to buy guns based entirely around seeing them in video games! After all, why do you think anyone owns a Desert Eagle?

Let me begin this new megathread by saying: give me bannerlord you cowards i need to see borcha in high definition

mod edit: just dropping a link to the old thread if anyone wants it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3015878

also, now that I'm an admin you don't see the "someone edited" thing when I do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My Xbone tag is PeterXDinklage but I don't play that often

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Sad/fun fact: the Kriss Vector always tickled the engineer-y bone in my body, they're so cool with how they function. The sad part was that playing The Division made me consider actually getting one.

Over it now, but anyone wants to shoot Modern Warfares on PS4 hit me up: DJLunchboxx

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

In the spirit of the thread title I maxed the Uzi in MW first and then I went and bought one. Bonus, it's one of the ones Century did a few years back because I wanted to save a couple hundred lol. Can't wait for my FFL to e-mail me saying it's in.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Video games mostly made me pine after FALs and anti-tank rifles.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Video games mostly made me pine after FALs and anti-tank rifles.

This, but I can't have a FAL and can't afford the PTRD's that occasionally pop up

In other news, my wife got a copy of Cyberpunk for free from a streamer that she plays with lots and supports. So that's loving cool.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fuckin' nice. Looking forward to Cyberpunk too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I wish there was some way I could bank my free time for when Cyberpunk comes out so I can just be like Ima gonna play this for 72 hours straight

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

It's going to be really really hard not to sink extreme amounts of time into CP2077. As I age I've found I can't run 36 hours on caffeine anymore, this may affect my job adversely if I can't just binge every other day between blackouts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I just started Witcher 3 for the first time and so far have managed to completely ignore the advice of "don't feel like you have to explore every question mark."

But on the bright side I have a magic item steel sword, rare silver sword, full set of relic armor from a vendor that I had to use the level requirement adjustment potion to use, both bombs I had recipes for, all the oils I have recipes for, and all but one of the potions I have a recipe for (still need Cat). So I'm pretty well prepared for the Griffin, and then I'll head to Vizima.

Lawrence formerly of Funhaus has been playing through it on Death March which is what finally convinced me to buy it, but I'm not as hardcore as him so I am playing on Blood and Bones or whatever the second highest difficulty is.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Video games made me go through a stupid amount of trouble and money to get a replica S.T.A.R.S. Samurai Edge Beretta 92 (scouring GunBroker for a 92FS Brigadier, scouring GunBroker for an old 92F with a straight non-marked dust cover, buying a stainless barrel and guide rod, sending the slide to have the game engravings and slide serrations cut and refinished, having the frame cleaned up and refinished, and custom ordering Samurai Edge grips from the one dude who actually makes them). It shoots as well as a normal 92FS (with really thick grips), but it costs three times as much! That said, it does make me pretty giddy when I handle it.

That's the extent of my video game gun experience, other than a Mark 23 for obvious reasons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I put a marinecoat nickel-colored heatshield on my Mossberg shotgun entirely because the shotgun in Dead Rising 2 is a blued Mossberg with stainless heatshield and I like that two-tonedness.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I have not kept up with Star Citizen so apologies if this is old poo poo no one cares about

This is the first real footage of the game I've seen and it looks like working a second job.... iiinnnnn sppaaaace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xs0vS2WiXM

looks decent for an immersive sim at least, if that's your thing. You could probably convince me to try it if I can be a space pirate and rob these dorks afterwards.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I find it very funny that Warframe successfully added player-crewed ships with the ability to exit/enter ships and space stations and fly around solo before Star Citizen.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Oh God you just made me realize if I wanna be a space miner (or probably any fun occupation) I would probably need to join a crew and deal with some old gently caress screaming "MINUS 50 DRP!" At me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That Space Engineers game looks pretty fun but Iíll wait for Kerbal 2

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

I got an AK-74 kit because of STALKER and a P38 partly because of NOLF.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Somebody Awful posted:

I got an AK-74 kit because of STALKER

Same but Makarov.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want a Mk23 kitted out with so much stuff it needs a sling, all because of metal gear.

Also a fiveseven due to splinter cell. Not a FN2000 though, pass.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

The first firearm I ever shot was a Beretta 92F, largely due to Counter-Strike

It was at an indoor range in Burbank, CA. Loading that single dumb 10-round mag they gave us with one's fingats sure was annoying!

Still want to shoot a P(S)90 because of GoldenEye though

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Regarding games and guns, the Resident Evil 2 remake is all I've been playing lately and it's partially a love letter to a very "mundane" treatment of firearms common to the 1990s United States. It reminds how much I regret missing those beautiful surplus Wingmasters last year.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Red Dead Redemption was part of me getting a Remington Model 11. The other part was them being super loving cheap in nearly new condition.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I ended up getting my first non-long gun, a Single Six, after finishing RDR. Shooting that Single Six a bunch is what got me into guns as a hobby rather than just something I owned out of necessity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Right now I want a Krag and a rolling block rifle of some kind really bad because of RDR2.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

I have not kept up with Star Citizen so apologies if this is old poo poo no one cares about

This is the first real footage of the game I've seen and it looks like working a second job.... iiinnnnn sppaaaace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xs0vS2WiXM

looks decent for an immersive sim at least, if that's your thing. You could probably convince me to try it if I can be a space pirate and rob these dorks afterwards.

Sir this is a thread for video games, not elaborate coke fueled scams.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lotion Tester posted:

I ended up getting my first non-long gun, a Single Six, after finishing RDR. Shooting that Single Six a bunch is what got me into guns as a hobby rather than just something I owned out of necessity.

Cowboy gats rule, any anyone who says otherwise is objectively loving wrong. Also I'm sad I have no hope of affording RDR2 any time soon. Every time I see things about it it seems like it's right up my alley.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started Witcher 3 for the first time and so far have managed to completely ignore the advice of "don't feel like you have to explore every question mark."

But on the bright side I have a magic item steel sword, rare silver sword, full set of relic armor from a vendor that I had to use the level requirement adjustment potion to use, both bombs I had recipes for, all the oils I have recipes for, and all but one of the potions I have a recipe for (still need Cat). So I'm pretty well prepared for the Griffin, and then I'll head to Vizima.

Lawrence formerly of Funhaus has been playing through it on Death March which is what finally convinced me to buy it, but I'm not as hardcore as him so I am playing on Blood and Bones or whatever the second highest difficulty is.

There is a MASSIVE Witcher 3 thread in games that loves to hear stories from someone's first run through the game. There are a number of mods, of varying levels of usefulness that they can guide you on. There are, however, a couple places (including one in Vizima, coming shortly) that can gate you out of content depending on the choices you make. Go to that thread and ask if you'd like to know. If you want to go in completely blind, disregard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I'm OldCaptainLog on Xbox Live. If you want to play sometime, please send me a message first. I get pretty constant randos trying to matchmake with me because my character in Destiny is hot pink and purple.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is a MASSIVE Witcher 3 thread in games that loves to hear stories from someone's first run through the game. There are a number of mods, of varying levels of usefulness that they can guide you on. There are, however, a couple places (including one in Vizima, coming shortly) that can gate you out of content depending on the choices you make. Go to that thread and ask if you'd like to know. If you want to go in completely blind, disregard.

I'll look for it, I didn't see it earlier.

I'd like to avoid being gated out of content / making choices that I really regret if possible, even if that's somewhat against the point of the game. For example, I didn't do the arsonist quest because I didn't like how I saw it end on stream.

I am also going to have to force myself to stop running everywhere that's not halfway across the map so I can pick flowers constantly, they aren't worth jack poo poo and aside from a few rare versions I can get enough to make whatever potion I need in like 2 minutes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll look for it, I didn't see it earlier.

I'd like to avoid being gated out of content / making choices that I really regret if possible, even if that's somewhat against the point of the game. For example, I didn't do the arsonist quest because I didn't like how I saw it end on stream.

I am also going to have to force myself to stop running everywhere that's not halfway across the map so I can pick flowers constantly, they aren't worth jack poo poo and aside from a few rare versions I can get enough to make whatever potion I need in like 2 minutes

From the last thread:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Content wise, you will be asked early on about past choices (this happens in Vizima, after the opening setting of White Orchard). Tell the guy that nobody died.

Much later in the game, you will be given the opportunity to shove someone forcefully. Don't do it. Both of those choices can shut you out of content and in a game that long, a lot of people just don't want to replay it. Similarly, the ending to the main game will the affected by your choices as a dad. There are 3 endings, one of which is because you were unambiguously a Bad Dad. The choices are not very intuitive so if the ending matters to you, look it up.

Lastly, partway through the game at Kaer Morhen you will have a chance to drink with your Witcher bros. Do it and go all the way with it. Trust me.

What I'll add is that the two main love interests - Triss and Yen - pick one and stick with her. You can gently caress the random other girls, but if you try to romance both Triss and Yen it ends poorly. Funny, but poorly, and it's a game that has an actual good take on relationships and the like. This isn't the typical bioware "which waifu do you romance" poo poo, and if you play through to the end of the expansion they wrap it up really nicely.

(Yen is the best pick imo but you do you)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I heard what happens if you try to romance both of them and while I find it hilarious, I think that's the kind of thing I would look up (in incognito mode because it's The Witcher and might have actual nudity) rather than actually doing.

I'm predisposed towards picking Yen from Beeb talking about how terrible of a person Triss is, but I'll do a bit more research into the backstory first.

Also because the intro dream was remarkably compelling in terms of giving Geralt a goal in life other than killing monsters.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Post the gats you bought because of videogames.

New Vegas fueled my desire for a lever gun. 336SC in 35 rem. Chopped to 16", Brockman winged front sight, XS rear sight. Little bit of pic rail for a microdot when I'm feeling spicy.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

ThinkFear posted:

Post the gats you bought because of videogames.

New Vegas fueled my desire for a lever gun. 336SC in 35 rem. Chopped to 16", Brockman winged front sight, XS rear sight. Little bit of pic rail for a microdot when I'm feeling spicy.

This is one of those rare times that a pistol gripped and round lever looks good, drat

I used New Vegas as a test bed for turning a 590 into a trench gun

Turned out pretty good

Mossberg give me royalties I see you biting my style with your 590 retrograde

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Why was Triss bad? I am 100% Yennifer but I must have missed something. I tune most of the mage bla bla bla stuff out though.

I went back to play some more and I thought my weird scars from Gunter had been removed but they seem to be back and I hate it

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

priznat posted:

Why was Triss bad? I am 100% Yennifer but I must have missed something. I tune most of the mage bla bla bla stuff out though.

I went back to play some more and I thought my weird scars from Gunter had been removed but they seem to be back and I hate it

Triss gaslit Geralt non stop because she'd been wanting him for herself for ages and saw an opportunity with his memory loss to fill his head with bunk. Friends don't do that, assholes do that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Triss gaslit Geralt non stop because she'd been wanting him for herself for ages and saw an opportunity with his memory loss to fill his head with bunk. Friends don't do that, assholes do that.

Oh thatís jerky <>

I never played witcher 1 or 2 so memory loss geralt is me

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've been sick all day. Did I still make it into the first page of the new megathread?

edit: gently caress yeah! See you in about 11 years when this thread has to get closed and the next one gets started!

also edit

Capn Beeb posted:

There's two kinds of folks that handle that plot piece from the games. Either, 'Triss is a manipulative, hosed up, selfish monster', or 'but... redheads are hot.'

5er fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

What ever happened to Shani?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

What ever happened to Shani?

She shows up in the Hearts of Stone DLC

Adbot