Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Days Gone is A+, get on that poo poo

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

It got pretty middling reviews, didnít it? Is it one of those games thatís kinda fun in spite of itself?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

The Automator posted:

It got pretty middling reviews, didnít it? Is it one of those games thatís kinda fun in spite of itself?

The reception kind of turned around on it. Itís not a game that reviews well, the start is kind of slow and I canít imagine playing it on a deadline.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Disco is great and one of the few RPGs I can honestly say I've done multiple complete runs of.

And it's a great game not just to play, but to listen to other people talk about. Someone in the Disco thread talked about his experience with Measurehead, one of the early game obstacles. He's a giant racist ( in more than one sense of the word ) that has an incredibly in-depth and absolutely insane theory of racial superiority. If you expend all his dialogue options, it can take a good twenty minutes. There's a lot of it. And if you read it, you will be given the impression of some insane logic, some consistency.

This guy who played the game, he was playing kind of a meat-head cop. He thought ( like I did ), ah, I can come back on another run with a smart cop and beat him through dialogue. But while I thought I could confuse Measurehead, he thought he could beat him by convincing him his racist ideology was stupid and contradictory.

So he came back on his next playthrough, and he described getting increasingly pissed off that Measurehead had an answer for every contradiction, or dismissed points outright, etc. He tried to go through dialogue sequence after sequence, came back with more levels and higher stats, but couldn't beat him, because there isn't a way to beat him.

And it gave him a real-life realization why arguing with white supremacists/racists on the basis of logic and reason never works.

That's neat. And it's clever. And the writers could have very easily put in a way to talk Measurehead down, but chose not to. In fact, you can't do it with any of the racists in the game. They're all like that. And it's great.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I can't play a game that's that much dialogue. I get loving bored sitting through the extended start bullshit of 'real' RPGs. Like I was just trying Enderal since they got it on Steam now and I loving quit after the boat part in the intro because all the loving talking and backstory was boring me too much to give a poo poo. I have to be in the right space to play something like that and it's not the same space where I'll start a game I've never tried on a whim.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Disco is great and one of the few RPGs I can honestly say I've done multiple complete runs of.

And it's a great game not just to play, but to listen to other people talk about. Someone in the Disco thread talked about his experience with Measurehead, one of the early game obstacles. He's a giant racist ( in more than one sense of the word ) that has an incredibly in-depth and absolutely insane theory of racial superiority. If you expend all his dialogue options, it can take a good twenty minutes. There's a lot of it. And if you read it, you will be given the impression of some insane logic, some consistency.

This guy who played the game, he was playing kind of a meat-head cop. He thought ( like I did ), ah, I can come back on another run with a smart cop and beat him through dialogue. But while I thought I could confuse Measurehead, he thought he could beat him by convincing him his racist ideology was stupid and contradictory.

So he came back on his next playthrough, and he described getting increasingly pissed off that Measurehead had an answer for every contradiction, or dismissed points outright, etc. He tried to go through dialogue sequence after sequence, came back with more levels and higher stats, but couldn't beat him, because there isn't a way to beat him.

And it gave him a real-life realization why arguing with white supremacists/racists on the basis of logic and reason never works.

That's neat. And it's clever. And the writers could have very easily put in a way to talk Measurehead down, but chose not to. In fact, you can't do it with any of the racists in the game. They're all like that. And it's great.
I've had this game on my "wishlist" to keep an eye on for sales. Next email I get with it on sale I'm just going to buy it, even if it's not much % off, everything I hear is just so solid about it.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Fired up Control on the new machine, holy hell my i5 6600k really was a bottleneck. Went from 40-45FPS on a 2070 Super at 1440p with DLSS on to rock loving steady locked at 60FPS 4k and a mix of high and medium settings.

Of course, ray tracing tanks this by half but drat

Muzzle flash reflected in the eyes

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The reception kind of turned around on it. Itís not a game that reviews well, the start is kind of slow and I canít imagine playing it on a deadline.

I played it a few hours now, itís okay so far. I can tell Iím going to walk around and hold square a bunch. I wish you could just hold it and heíd snatch up the stuff as you walked around.

I also donít really care for the characters so far. I donít really care for bikers and so far the factions are a prison warden and threeper type.

Also lol at a motorcycle being able to go about 1.5 miles on a gallon of gas. If youíre going to have the gas run out that fast, artificially inflate your measurements or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Red Faction Guerilla is still good.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've had this game on my "wishlist" to keep an eye on for sales. Next email I get with it on sale I'm just going to buy it, even if it's not much % off, everything I hear is just so solid about it.

It is an amazing game, and really the height of interactive fiction. On my first and second playthrough I just enjoyed it. On my third I was copying down a lot of lines and thinking about the structure of sentences and tone. It isn't often that an RPG game can get a genuine emotional reaction from me, let alone do it multiple times. Or get me to laugh.

And it reminds me of KoToR 2 and other great games in that you can have a sense of the truth, but never the whole truth. The truth, in Disco Elysium, is used like a good horror movie uses a monster. You never get a good, solid look. It never lingers. Events are seldom crystal clear. People's motivations and actions are murky.

S'goooooooood stuff and I'll never stop telling people to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Red Faction Guerilla is still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

The "remastered" Red Faction Guerrilla runs buttery smooth and is drat fun to play. It includes a "reset destruction" option so you can go destroy everything again whenever you want.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 12, 2021