Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Per previous post:

BeAuMaN posted:

And apparently there will be nine free games on PS4 3/25 - 4/22, and Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition will be free 4/19 - 5/14. No Playstation Plus membership or anything like that required.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14902027-s...tness-more-free
They should all show up here during their respective dates on the Play at Home landing page: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/83ccec1a-8c8e-4ef7-bb02-ba0fdf042e6c/1
(You can still grab Ratchet & Clank for free until 3/31 at the landing page above)
You can pick up Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PS4 for free on the Play at Home Landing Page or on its product page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BeAuMaN posted:

Per previous post:

You can pick up Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PS4 for free on the Play at Home Landing Page or on its product page.

This also works in Australia if you go to the en-au URL as below:

https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP9000-CUSA10211_00-HRZCE00000000000

Same Complete Edition and everything. Cheers for the heads up BeAuMaN!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a great game to play if you ever wondered what it would be like to feel like a little kid fighting your dad

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The power curve in that game is fun. It did a good job of making you feel like a bumbling farmer starting out and loving highlander by the end of it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kingdom Come Deliverance is super fun combat combined with writing so godawful that I couldn't sit through more than about 5 hours of it. Fun dice game, though.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Kingdom Come is a great RPG and every time I think about replaying it I get PTSD style flashbacks to dealing with the broken as gently caress main quest line.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There is no better riding around in the woods simulator than Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

The best quests are in DLC, especially the Women's pack and even more especially Theresa's escape from Skalitz flashback. That's some good gaming right there. Plan on playing all the DLC missions, and the tournament is a fantastic way to level up Henry's skills.

Plan on using a mace or hammer as your endgame melee weapon. You can't cut a motherfucker through metal armor, but you can break bones and skulls.

Henry's combat skills are more important than yours. You can button mash your way into an epic combo, but if Henry can't do the combo, executing it perfectly won't ever get him to do it. Again, do the tournament as often as you can. Beating up low-tier bandits is good experience for Henry, and can turn a good profit.

Alchemy is more useful than it is annoying. Potions provide dramatic combat buffs. Deal with it, keep them in stock, and use them liberally.

If the game isn't grabbing you, stick with it long enough to get drunk with the priest. That's one of the greatest scenes in RPG history.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I'd love to see someone use the same stuff from Kingdom Come (combat, graphics, etc) in all it's beautiful janky glory but in a different world and with a new story, that poo poo would be a drat fine base for a fantasy RPG compared to just about anything else.

Also straight up for anyone playing Kingdom Come the biggest piece of advice is DO NOT treat it like an open world until after you do the training where it unlocks poo poo like parrying, because trust me going through the game before them is just a ball-stomp simulator (though I am proud that I successfully beat all the assholes in the 'run away' part of the intro even if it took me like 2 hours to manage to kill them all)

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 21, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Shima Honnou posted:

Also straight up for anyone playing Kingdom Come the biggest piece of advice is DO NOT treat it like an open world until after you do the training where it unlocks poo poo like parrying, because trust me going through the game before them is just a ball-stomp simulator

This just made me remember that streamer that found Breath of the Wild's combat tutorial something like 100 hours into the playthrough.

"You can parry?? YOU CAN CHARGE ATTACKS!?"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I wouldn't have expected it but there's a new Nier game coming out in like 2 days.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I wouldn't have expected it but there's a new Nier game coming out in like 2 days.

Itís a remake / remaster of the original Nier. This is the first time brother nier will be released in English, and they worked with platinum games to clean up the combat. Theyíve also seemingly added a lot to the game, although Iíve been avoiding all recent trailers to prevent myself from being spoiled.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Automator posted:

Itís a remake / remaster of the original Nier. This is the first time brother nier will be released in English, and they worked with platinum games to clean up the combat. Theyíve also seemingly added a lot to the game, although Iíve been avoiding all recent trailers to prevent myself from being spoiled.

But will it keep the original loving awesome soundtrack and also let me do gruff old buffdad?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wait so this is an earlier game to the other Nier game that's still on my wish list? "Should" I play this one first? Hmn, I bet the mechanics of play, being updated, assume I've played Neir: Automata.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

But will it keep the original loving awesome soundtrack and also let me do gruff old buffdad?

From what I understand there will be multiple versions of the ost in there, they havenít outright said papa nier is playable but it seems like heíll be an option based on what people are saying

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait so this is an earlier game to the other Nier game that's still on my wish list? "Should" I play this one first? Hmn, I bet the mechanics of play, being updated, assume I've played Neir: Automata.

There are two nier games, this and automata. Automata is the sequel, gameplay in automata was better and Iím sure will still be. Play this first if you can. I played automata, loved it, then went back and bought a copy of the ps3 version and played it. I donít feel like I missed much in automata and I really liked the mystery in entering the series there. After the game comes out Friday and I finish it Iím gonna play automata right after for a one two punch of gut wrenching existentialism

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ok, cool, please do let us know if the remastered mechanics are a sequel to the second game though. Like, imagine if they had released a remaking of ff1 on the ps1 and you played it before ff6 because it was a remake of the first game, but the remake played like ff7; it would be an earlier game than ff7 in the story (assuming for the sake argument ff games were direct sequels), but it would be a sequel in terms of the mechanics of play.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, cool, please do let us know if the remastered mechanics are a sequel to the second game though. Like, imagine if they had released a remaking of ff1 on the ps1 and you played it before ff6 because it was a remake of the first game, but the remake played like ff7; it would be an earlier game than ff7 in the story (assuming for the sake argument ff games were direct sequels), but it would be a sequel in terms of the mechanics of play.

Yeah itíll be interesting without a doubt.

I pre ordered it and am planning to spend my entire days Friday and Saturday playing it

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I'd love to see someone use the same stuff from Kingdom Come (combat, graphics, etc) in all it's beautiful janky glory but in a different world and with a new story, that poo poo would be a drat fine base for a fantasy RPG compared to just about anything else.

Also straight up for anyone playing Kingdom Come the biggest piece of advice is DO NOT treat it like an open world until after you do the training where it unlocks poo poo like parrying, because trust me going through the game before them is just a ball-stomp simulator (though I am proud that I successfully beat all the assholes in the 'run away' part of the intro even if it took me like 2 hours to manage to kill them all)

Those dudes extremely pissed me off because it was very much the game saying 'no spook them and run' and when I finally got that message and tried that, my horse would get stuck on a fence or Some Bullshit and then I'd get hosed by three stompy Hungarians

Also I love the rear end-pull it does on the return to Skalitz where you're fighting your first bandits and feeling Big Dick about it, and, if you're exploring, you can easily run into some people with actually good armor and weapons who will aggro as a group and sword-gently caress you

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I finally got around to playing Far Cry 5 New Dawn and all I want for Christmas is a stat telling me what percentage of players immediately dropped whatever they were in the middle of and hoisted the black flag the instant they learned of the mission to go rescue the dogs from the dog meat farm.

Name and shame the players who didn't IMO

e: oops yeah I mean New Dawn

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 22, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally got around to playing Far Cry 5 and all I want for Christmas is a stat telling me what percentage of players immediately dropped whatever they were in the middle of and hoisted the black flag the instant they learned of the mission to go rescue the dogs from the dog meat farm.

I recently started the game from the beginning with a buddy who had never played it before.

"So. Shooting is fun, moving around is fun. Where do we start?"
"Get the this ally."
"There's a dog?! Where? Can it ride in my truck?"
"No, sadly. Off to the left there."

*Watch the dog mourn it's friends*

"gently caress that. Dog! Let's go murder some Peggies!"

I knew he was a good dude, and we've gone back and forth on self-improvement, but that confirmed it.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally got around to playing Far Cry 5 and all I want for Christmas is a stat telling me what percentage of players immediately dropped whatever they were in the middle of and hoisted the black flag the instant they learned of the mission to go rescue the dogs from the dog meat farm.

Wasn't the farm in New Dawn?

Either way, I got my money's worth out of 4, 5, Valley of the Yeti, and New Dawn. Some gripes about each, but I like the flexibility of play styles and how customizable the weapons are in all but New Dawn. Looking forward to 6.

Something about slapping a suppressor and acog on an AR and poppin Peg heads from the shadows is just satisfying.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

In New Dawn I really got into doing the outposts at increasingly harder levels. The highest difficulty is brutal, but not unfairly so. You need to plan and execute nearly perfectly to get them done without being spotted, but having the option to Go Loud in your back pocket is always fun.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oops yeah, I said 5 but I mean New Dawn. Not sure what I was thinking, there.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Memento posted:

In New Dawn I really got into doing the outposts at increasingly harder levels. The highest difficulty is brutal, but not unfairly so. You need to plan and execute nearly perfectly to get them done without being spotted, but having the option to Go Loud in your back pocket is always fun.

I almost always end up running a suppressed sniper rifle, suppressed AR or AK w a 3x optic, and the m79 in my pistol slot for when things get loud. Fourth slot rotated depending on my mood, but I used the bow a lot.

I was initially annoyed at New Dawn with having to clear each outpost at least 3x to unlock weapons /etc, but they made them different enough each time, and the difficulty scaled really well. I doubt I'll replay New Dawn, but I was happy with it for sure.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Speaking of hicks in the middle of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUf_1eOwFs

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The game ( Kingdom Come ) makes it feel like a number of the first quests have to be done ASAP, with no time for a break. I thought that after the first patrol and the hunting one, I'd have some time to spend some money, think about getting loaded out, etc. So I went to get all my stuff done, did some repairs and- oh quest failed gently caress. I have to meet the guy in the courtyard and go out on patrol right away? OK I guess.

So you to investigate assholes who did rear end in a top hat things for rear end in a top hat reasons, and this leads you to fight one rear end in a top hat. Easy peasy. The guy's not a pushover, but he's not incredibly difficult. I didn't have the money to enter the tournament because I'm an idiot so this is only my third 'serious' fight in the game, and I haven't the whole directional combat thing down pat yet. Feints are still tricky. But I can block well enough, and that carries you.

I beat his rear end and loot him, as you do. Some things register as stolen, for some reason. Not the things he stole, but rando poo poo like one pair of gloves, or an arrow. Whatever. His partner complains at me and dies, and off I go.

This eventually leads me to a branch. I can stalk some people to lead me to the guy I need to question, or- I can go kill more assholes. Assholes have gear and equipment.

I seek to kill those assholes.

Now, at this point it is ten PM. I figure I'll finish this quest, go to bed. No big deal. It's just two guys. It's an early quest. How hard could it be?

Until this point, most combat has had a rhythm. One or maybe two hits, and then you get a chance to fight back. Both of these guys? Yeah they can do four hit combos. My armor is less than great. My weapon? A bludgeon. I have a stick. This is not a terrible weapon when you're fighting peers. It is a terrible weapon when you're fighting the Ornstein and Smough of the Balkans.

Oh, and they can run faster than I can, so I can't do the rope a dope with a bow and arrow.

I try poisoning their food with Witch's Brew. Doesn't work. Try poisoning an arrow with the same. Doesn't work. I'm frying my brain trying to think of a way to Kill Those Fuckers, and eventually figure out that if I crouch behind one I can choke him out and then break his neck before his partner ginsus me.

It's a very hard fight even one on one unless you get lucky, but I eventually win after far too much effort and the mercy kill animation of caving the fucker's head in with my stupid stick was unreasonably satisfying

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe petty but any time Nier is brought up, it reminds me of how much Yoko Taro creeps me out. He's a hero among the middle-aged men with 'ironic' sexually suggestive, underage suggestive anime girl forum avatars.

I still enjoyed Nier:Automata! I think I got the original Nier out of a bargain bin late in the 7th generation of game consoles, played it for maybe 2 or 3 hours and bounced off it. Not entirely sure Nier Replicant is going to get my attention, but Nier:Automata was a bit of a slow burn that paid off for me for sticking it out.

My son and I have caught the No Man's Sky bug again. It was my son that told me about how NMS has introduced a 'seasonal' mode with 'milestone account unlock rewards' similar to Diablo 3, and then he showed me this ridiculous hamster habitat base he made underwater, I got back into it about a couple weeks back. We've both been binging on the game since.
To our delight also, it had VERY functional cross-platform play! I am on PC, he's on PS4, and we've gotten together to knock out Anomaly / Nexus hub missions a few times almost seamlessly. I was impressed with that!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The dev more devs should try to be like is Swery, he just posts pics of food and coffee and booze and memes.

Also port Deadly Premonition to an engine that works please.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

This week Epic Games Store will be giving away two games:
Alien: isolation; Sci-fi Survival Horror?
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/alien-isolation

Hand of Fate 2; Third-Person Rogue-Lite Dungeon-Crawler Deck-Builder (The deck decides what you find in the dungeon)
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/hand-of-fate-2
I've played both Hand of Fate games and they're fun. Can be kinda grindy to unlock the cards you want, but if anyone wants to do a deck building 3rd-person beat-em-up It's a great game for the price of Free.

These two games will be free from 4/22/2021 through 4/29/2021 8AM PT.

Next week Epic Games Store will be giving away...
A bundle loot pack for the free to play game Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms; an idler/clicker game.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms

That will run from 4/29/2021 through 5/6/2021 8AM PT.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I'll endorse Hand of Fate, it's good if you like something to pass some time.

Also Alien Isolation is good too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

My 13 year old ViewSonic monitor finally died. It was paired with an ancient desktop with a GTX560Ti. I have no desire to re-do my entire setup, because I don't really have a lot of time to play video games these days, but I would like to use the desktop, and maybe play games on it sometimes when the opportunity arises.

What's the best option for a monitor that's affordable as in bare bones features, but not cheap as in poor build quality? I don't need anything high end, because a 10 year old graphics card isn't going to be able to take advantage of it, but I also don't want some office supply monitor with an atrocious refresh rate that's going to come with a bunch of dead pixels.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor / 1080P 1ms / Black eQualizer and Color Vibrance for Competitive Edge / Does not Support 120Hz on console https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q671VMED67NF2QPQYE3N

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The Automator posted:

BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor / 1080P 1ms / Black eQualizer and Color Vibrance for Competitive Edge / Does not Support 120Hz on console https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q671VMED67NF2QPQYE3N

That's pretty good for a budget solution! The XL2411K that's suggested for 144hz which ensures PS5 / XSX compatibility is only about $35 more too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

If you enjoy the Mortal Kombat games at all, watch the movie right the hell now.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

The dev more devs should try to be like is Swery, he just posts pics of food and coffee and booze and memes.

Also port Deadly Premonition to an engine that works please.

SWERY/Haruki Murakami colab when?

Stuck in a Well: the Game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you enjoy the Mortal Kombat games at all, watch the movie right the hell now.

This is a true thing being said. Watched it with my kids (who are not small children, uptight armchair developmental psychologists can smooth their hackles) and it was just a plain old good action flick.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The OG MK movie came out when I was 9 and not only was it great it taught me about centripetal force, making it more educational than most other movies even to this day.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

I think the only movie I saw where I was truly Too Young For This poo poo was Fire In The Sky

Of course watching it now it's just... drat this movie kinda sucks

Also wow I see how it is, we get some Nitara screen time, and not a lot at that, but no Skarlet?

hosed up imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Yeah, the MK movie is definitely a solid watch. The amount of easter eggs and dumb fan service stuff they packed in is great.

GOG sent me an email coupon for the 2018 Battletech plus all of its extras and DLCs and season passes and such. Hooooo boy is it scratching a good itch. Having to manage my merc business and just existing on the edge of bankruptcy while trying to do revenge is awfully engaging.