Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Gray Stormy posted:

Yeah, the MK movie is definitely a solid watch. The amount of easter eggs and dumb fan service stuff they packed in is great.

The scene where Kano gets incredibly pissed at Liu Kang for spamming sweeps had me dying. You can tell that the people that wrote this movie fuckiní love Mortal Kombat and played a bunch of it back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The scene where Kano gets incredibly pissed at Liu Kang for spamming sweeps had me dying. You can tell that the people that wrote this movie fuckiní love Mortal Kombat and played a bunch of it back in the day.

Even Kano's one little bunnyhop was totally fitting. In the warehouse confrontation between Sub-Zero and Jax, I saw some graffiti that was D (dir. arrow), F(dir. arrow), LP- Sub-Zero's ice ball special. My 16yo even got it when I pointed it out. Feels a tiny bit like passing the torch.

edit: I also want to nod at the little bit in the locker room with the guy that Cole lost a cage match fight with, the way they showed some quick polite respect after the bout. It wasn't necessary at all but a real positive 'good sportsmanship' touch, I felt.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 26, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

5er posted:

edit: I also want to nod at the little bit in the locker room with the guy that Cole lost a cage match fight with, the way they showed some quick polite respect after the bout. It wasn't necessary at all but a real positive 'good sportsmanship' touch, I felt.

I really liked that bit. Sure they're fighters, but it's a sport and the better fighter won. No super aggro posturing or trading insults, and he didn't hate the other guy, he just got beat.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Booted up calladooty cold war yesterday after months away. Had a couple good rounds in the afternoon, play with a friend later in the evening who was also having good rounds.

We spent the next hour getting blown the gently caress out because skill based matchmaking thinks we're nothing short of gods, apparently. We split up, join different games, get thrown back together, it's even worse this time. Try again, stagger our timing to find a match, get separated, good! It's not as bad as previous rounds were, but it's nowhere near as good as it was in the afternoon. Call it a night.

I boot up today around the same time I did yesterday to see if afternoon matches aren't so god awful, see I have a free bundle in the store. I know about *EOMM, so I figure I'll play a round, see how it goes, back out, grab the bundle, try another round. Do decent the first round, go to get the bundle, and it's gone.

Holy poo poo if the game is throwing free bundles at you if you have bad rounds then takes them away if you have a decent time.

Here's a video about EOMM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQhjY12PAOs#t=205s

Basically: If you buy anything from the store, match making puts a mercy rule on you for a few rounds to give you the illusion that it was just a few bad rounds, no big deal, keep playing. Keep coming back. Keep paying into the store. Then when that mercy period is up, you're thrown back into hell hours.

Free bundles linger in the store for a while. Or they used to, anyway. I've never seen one just vanish after a single round.

If that's the case, holy gently caress Activision is reaching unforeseen lows with this poo poo.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

That's scummy as gently caress.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Re: Activision

Diablo 2 Resurrection looks amazing as a remake but I refuse to give the fuckers my money.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I've actually bought poo poo from the store in CoD (2019) and never felt like it gave me any kind of grace period away from being owned.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Re: Activision

Diablo 2 Resurrection looks amazing as a remake but I refuse to give the fuckers my money.

Yeah. Also a bit curious which patch they'll go with. Diablo II 1.10 was awful garbage by a mostly different dev team that made myself and pretty much everyone I knew playing it quit a few weeks in. LoD 1.08 or 1.09 with working anti-cheat and bug fixes would actually be tempting.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 28, 2021

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Anime and virtual youtubers and WW2 tank games finally collide. It's like the perfect storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YvKUVJmfDs

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

lol I genuinely don't get this at all, I'm not visible on their screen but oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsZXP-ONaQ

I hate that I have to turn on crossplay to get a match, so yeah lemme just open on up to all kinds of PC antics and mouse and keyboard users

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Capn Beeb posted:

lol I genuinely don't get this at all, I'm not visible on their screen but oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsZXP-ONaQ

I hate that I have to turn on crossplay to get a match, so yeah lemme just open on up to all kinds of PC antics and mouse and keyboard users

They really need to break up mouse and keyboard users from controller folks. I also think Sniper Rifles are the most hysterically broken thing I've ever seen, but they won't change it because of the fanbase.

You shouldn't be able to outrace me, point blank, including a quick scope, versus a shotgun. Hell, you shouldn't be able to engage with snipers at close range whatsoever.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Captain Log posted:

They really need to break up mouse and keyboard users from controller folks. I also think Sniper Rifles are the most hysterically broken thing I've ever seen, but they won't change it because of the fanbase.

You shouldn't be able to outrace me, point blank, including a quick scope, versus a shotgun. Hell, you shouldn't be able to engage with snipers at close range whatsoever.

Yeah, I got thrown in the gulag with a red dot Barrett and the person I was against just feathered their aim button and one tapped me, the gun wasn't even shouldered yet and the reticle was a good foot off of my body in the kill cam. Just... alright then.

Also I watched that footage in slow mo. He broke my armor in three hits, killed me in two tops, and the gun just does not move off my body at all. It only moves when I go down dead, and it tracks my corpse the whole time.

Nothing fishy here!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, I got thrown in the gulag with a red dot Barrett and the person I was against just feathered their aim button and one tapped me, the gun wasn't even shouldered yet and the reticle was a good foot off of my body in the kill cam. Just... alright then.

Also I watched that footage in slow mo. He broke my armor in three hits, killed me in two tops, and the gun just does not move off my body at all. It only moves when I go down dead, and it tracks my corpse the whole time.

Nothing fishy here!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Vaguely related, I remember an article about how Team Fortress not only has a bot problem, but you can actually purchase immunity from certain bots for a small fee.

Bots in online shootemup games running protection rackets. What a time to be alive.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Also recently picked up Battletech 2018 this evening and figured I would give it a quick spin. Ran the training mission, felt a little unsatisfied, pushed a bit further on then six hours later it's time to go to bed.

Yeah, I really like it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

If that's the case, holy gently caress Activision is reaching unforeseen lows with this poo poo.

Where the hell is Schreier's scathing article on this? Sheesh.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Fearless posted:

Also recently picked up Battletech 2018 this evening and figured I would give it a quick spin. Ran the training mission, felt a little unsatisfied, pushed a bit further on then six hours later it's time to go to bed.

Yeah, I really like it.

Thats how my first night with it went as well.

Im loving the management side of it too. Whats this? A pilot I like tore apart a wall panel so she could be comfy? Thats okay.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://youtu.be/13NzZfbATW8 The Day Before (open world TPS PvPvE MMO) continues to look fake as hell, but IGN continues to insist it's real. So who the gently caress knows at this point.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What looks fake about it? In a meeting so can't watch the video.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Akion posted:

What looks fake about it? In a meeting so can't watch the video.

In the same way Watch Dog or Division reveal was fake, everything works too perfectly and is heavily heavily scripted. On top of both the publisher and developer being so new and small that it's very suspicious too to be able to pull this kind gameplay for MMO.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 28, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gray Stormy posted:

Thats how my first night with it went as well.

Im loving the management side of it too. Whats this? A pilot I like tore apart a wall panel so she could be comfy? Thats okay.

I got that too! I've always had an appreciation for the setting so I may be biased, but the game feels like a real labour of love. The people behind it know and appreciate the subject matter, and I think it shows.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Back Hack posted:

https://youtu.be/13NzZfbATW8 The Day Before (open world TPS PvPvE MMO) continues to look fake as hell, but IGN continues to insist it's real. So who the gently caress knows at this point.

So its basically Division/Division2 meets Last Of Us?

Im still undecided if I want to try New World when it comes out in a few months.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

In the same way Watch Dog or Division reveal was fake, everything works too perfectly and is heavily heavily scripted. On top of both the publisher and developer being so new and small that it's very suspicious too to be able to pull this kind gameplay for MMO.

Ah got it. That makes sense.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Fearless posted:

I got that too! I've always had an appreciation for the setting so I may be biased, but the game feels like a real labour of love. The people behind it know and appreciate the subject matter, and I think it shows.

The original Battletech creators are on the dev team and it absolutely shows.

Now to just wade into the mod community to see what the 'must-haves' are in that respect. I guess there have been some that added some missing mechs and tuned the mechanics to reflect the tabletop version a little more.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gray Stormy posted:

The original Battletech creators are on the dev team and it absolutely shows.

Now to just wade into the mod community to see what the 'must-haves' are in that respect. I guess there have been some that added some missing mechs and tuned the mechanics to reflect the tabletop version a little more.

Yes, it really does. The setting has always impressed me with how it emphasizes the human stories that drive it; I find it far easier to connect with the characters than I do with, say, 40k. And this game maintains that-- I genuinely felt lovely about what happens to Mastiff, and I knew the character for all of a half an hour.

I'm really enjoying the mech variety so far, I hope Clan poo poo doesn't appear later on and completely upends the balance. I'm hopeful that it doesn't-- I think the game takes place a decade or two before the Clan invasion begins.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Not gonna lie, there is a zero percent chance that I donít buy The Day Before on release. Itís exactly my poo poo for some reason.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I was kinda interested until I saw it was more PvPvE instead of just PvE. And yeah the footage we've seen is too good. I remember how Division 1 and 2 looked in those E3 previews. Real familiar hours in here.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Captain Log posted:

Hunt Showdown is the only multiplayer shooter I've felt that ever balanced sniper rifles for poo poo. You want a scope? That's fine. But that'll leave you without irons up close and gives you a much narrower field of view. And the sniper rifles weren't any more powerful than the non-marksman variants, so choosing iron sights was a very valid choice, especially if it meant taking a bayonet over a scope.

I have flat-out stopped playing a lot of other shooters I otherwise enjoyed just because snipers made them unenjoyable. PUBG comes to mind.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I feel like Tarkov did a good job of it. In most scenarios a dude with a bolt-action rifle with a 12x scope is gonna lose to a guy with an intermediate-caliber rifle with a 4x.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BF1 did a pretty good job. Snipers were dogshit up close.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Captain Log posted:

BF1 did a pretty good job. Snipers were dogshit up close.

The parabolic curve damage model was a decent idea on paper, though in practice it just encouraged the snipers to sit as far away as possible regardless and didn't reward me at all for going in close with an iron sight rifle and treating it like actual WWI. I'd like to see it applied to other stuff and see how it goes, maybe make the 1-hit range tighter.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

The parabolic curve damage model was a decent idea on paper, though in practice it just encouraged the snipers to sit as far away as possible regardless and didn't reward me at all for going in close with an iron sight rifle and treating it like actual WWI. I'd like to see it applied to other stuff and see how it goes, maybe make the 1-hit range tighter.

Oh so that's not just me? I used the Lawrence of Arabia SMLE and was just shithousing on people at distance, but when I'd push in suddenly I'd need more bullets on target to get a kill (assuming I even hit, accuracy is loving WEIRD in that game)

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Akion posted:

I feel like Tarkov did a good job of it. In most scenarios a dude with a bolt-action rifle with a 12x scope is gonna lose to a guy with an intermediate-caliber rifle with a 4x.

Head to head yeah, mostly, sometimes.

Tarkov is a cruel mistress sometimes...... well actually often.................. fine, always

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Tarkov would be a slam dunk if there was a PvE mode, and the in game economy wasn't directly impacted by cryptocurrencies

but lol hell world baybee

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I'm so sick of all these games that want to be STALKER But MMO, they've been trying this poo poo for like 10 years and it's never been good. Remember Survarium? lmao what a loving waste of a huge arsenal to have a lovely team v team game. The formula doesn't work, STALKER needs to be singleplayer, two or three person coop at absolute most.

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh so that's not just me? I used the Lawrence of Arabia SMLE and was just shithousing on people at distance, but when I'd push in suddenly I'd need more bullets on target to get a kill (assuming I even hit, accuracy is loving WEIRD in that game)

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 29, 2021

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm so sick of all these games that want to be STALKER But MMO, they've been trying this poo poo for like 10 years and it's never been good. Remember Survarium? lmao what a loving waste of a huge arsenal to have a lovely team v team game. The formula doesn't work, STALKER needs to be singleplayer, two or three person coop at absolute most.

But Shima, without the MMO PvP element, how else will we sell cosmetics? Think of the shareholders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZGL1ihrt4

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

But Shima, without the MMO PvP element, how else will we sell cosmetics? Think of the shareholders!

Gotta have a playerbase to be able to sell cosmetics so lmao

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Tarkov would be a slam dunk if there was a PvE mode, and the in game economy wasn't directly impacted by cryptocurrencies

but lol hell world baybee

Some of the emulator projects are getting decent and angling towards multiplayer. So, maybe soon. I have JET running on my machine and it's fun for building dumb guns and shooting mans.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm sorry but no mmo is going to top lootbox coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm sorry but no mmo is going to top lootbox coin

What the gently caress is that?

edit... nm there's a whole rear end horrible e3 2018 video already linked that'll tell me I guess. edit edit: I love it.