Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Been a while since I've played CoDMW. I see they added a Makarov. I also see they didn't do anything about that thing where your gun just stops working mysteriously while aiming at certain players, you know, the ones who tend to know where you are at all times and prefire you even if you're not moving to be making any noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Not going to lie I would pay full price for a STALKER or CoP that was the same exact game but just prettied up and plopped into a real nice engine. And every time I think 'nice engine', I am reminded the Fox Engine will never be used again and I am sad.

If we're doing a dream game, the mechanics and atmosphere of STALKER smashed together with the world, lore, and tone of Hunt: Showdown in a singleplayer experience would be loving amazing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

God, yes. Stalker hunt showdown would be perfect. I know we're all just dreaming here, but I just want to point out, as someone else always on this quest, that the three best choices right now are Metro: Exodus (I think? The latest one), Escape from Tarkov running a local server on your PC, and the Horizon overhaul of Falout 4. I think more fans of Stalker need to know about the last one in particular.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Not going to lie I would pay full price for a STALKER or CoP that was the same exact game but just prettied up and plopped into a real nice engine. And every time I think 'nice engine', I am reminded the Fox Engine will never be used again and I am sad.

If we're doing a dream game, the mechanics and atmosphere of STALKER smashed together with the world, lore, and tone of Hunt: Showdown in a singleplayer experience would be loving amazing.

I cant decide if STALKER + Tarkov would be awesome or the most frustrating and enraging thing ever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Get out of tarkov, stalker

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZebraBlade posted:

I cant decide if STALKER + Tarkov would be awesome or the most frustrating and enraging thing ever.

Tarkov was really good before the streamers, TBH. When it wasn't such a metagamey grindfest.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

This week Epic Games Store will be giving away...
A bundle loot pack for the free to play game Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms; an idler/clicker game.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms

Runs through 5/6/2021 8AM PT.

Next week Epic Games Store will be giving away:
Pine; Open World Adventure Game
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/pine

This will run from 5/6/2021 through 5/13/2021 8AM PT.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Steam's got a big-rear end sale on Japanese games this week to mark Golden Week in Japan. There's tons of good stuff in there, but the one that jumped out immediately is Yakuza 0 for $5. That's a crazy good deal on a game that you can sink dozens of hours into.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

In a weird way, I think STALKER's legacy is a kind of victim of its own success. Everyone who is inspired to do a spiritual successor -- even if they could actually pull it off -- ends up having to share the table with whoever has the money to actually fund game development for a potential hit game (i.e. an investment that won't see any payoff until years down the road, and even then is not guaranteed) and they just can't help but want to steer things in their own (safe) directions.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Not going to lie I would pay full price for a STALKER or CoP that was the same exact game but just prettied up and plopped into a real nice engine.

Same, as long as it had mod support.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Returnal had been described often and randomly as "harder than Dark Souls", and I was going to sleep on it. I have watched a couple videos now that have recommended some gameplay tips to people just starting, and the gameplay looks like some good, fast-paced fun. I changed my mind, and am going to be all over it tomorrow instead.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

somehow I've slipped into Bad Decisions 2021 mode and am now on hiatus from Eve Online so I can concentrate on Albion Online and Diablo 3. When those aren't running I've been playing Fallout Shelter/Fallout 3/FONV

is this how midlife crisis starts

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Micromancer posted:

is this how midlife crisis starts
Did you buy a Porsche yet?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

BeAuMaN posted:

Did you buy a Porsche yet?

I mean no, but this is my daily

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

You look like you’re doing well and I’m happy to see it dude

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Micromancer posted:

I mean no, but this is my daily

Oh that's a nice ride. Well poo poo tell us when you buy a new transferrable machine gun and then maybe we can warn you it might be midlife crisis, but then we wouldn't really do anything to dissuade you from such a purchase either, because if you're going through a midlife crisis then owning a machine gun would be

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

The Automator posted:

You look like you’re doing well and I’m happy to see it dude

it only took me 50 years, but all of my poo poo is in a bookbag, ready to be taken to the poo poo museum. I know this isnt video games but super quick update because I only read two threads on the forum anymore:

Yall know I was a terminally in debt mess and barely capable of staying afloat. Since last July, I worked 70 hr weeks until about a month ago or less and used all that OT to kill trash debt. I have one big dumb loan left, and then its just normal life expenses. Credit cards are paid off before they are due and Ive lowered my bills 1500 a month in that time and have enough of a buffer that I can take a few weeks for job search instead of take first thing that accepts me in desperation.

That 370z was a fluke because when I got a new car for my wife the lot said two loan companies approved me at 4% interest and it was the only car on the lot that appealed to me. I thought thered be no way it could happen and then the offer came back at 6 bucks a month more than I was paying for a Scion tc. Still well under 300 a month payments, car was 9k under blue book because of minor paint/rim damage and so for now Im driving for the Dominos my wife and daughter work at to help out while I land a new forklift job.

Depression is nearly gone, well within normal people ranges and for the first time in my life things not going well isnt the end of the world.

Unrelated other news update for Eve people:

I am running for CSM16.

Bonus:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

loving blessed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Micromancer posted:

it only took me 50 years, but all of my poo poo is in a bookbag, ready to be taken to the poo poo museum. I know this isnt video games but super quick update because I only read two threads on the forum anymore:

Yall know I was a terminally in debt mess and barely capable of staying afloat. Since last July, I worked 70 hr weeks until about a month ago or less and used all that OT to kill trash debt. I have one big dumb loan left, and then its just normal life expenses. Credit cards are paid off before they are due and Ive lowered my bills 1500 a month in that time and have enough of a buffer that I can take a few weeks for job search instead of take first thing that accepts me in desperation.

That 370z was a fluke because when I got a new car for my wife the lot said two loan companies approved me at 4% interest and it was the only car on the lot that appealed to me. I thought thered be no way it could happen and then the offer came back at 6 bucks a month more than I was paying for a Scion tc. Still well under 300 a month payments, car was 9k under blue book because of minor paint/rim damage and so for now Im driving for the Dominos my wife and daughter work at to help out while I land a new forklift job.

Depression is nearly gone, well within normal people ranges and for the first time in my life things not going well isnt the end of the world.

I am running for CSM16.

Bonus:

Thrilled to see you killing it, man. If I was still in Tennessee, I'd tell you we should go shoot guns to celebrate. It would give you a reason to bust the white head to toe camo back out!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

That's awesome, I'm so glad to hear it! And drat, Z cars still look great, unlike a lot of their competitors these days.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Micromancer posted:

I am running for CSM16.

Bonus:

Great news, my man. We've been at doing this TFR thing together for a long long time and it's great to see things looking up for you.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Driving a 370Z for Dominos sounds fun as gently caress honestly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Stalker 2 is going to be on UE4 from what I've heard.

Micromancer posted:

Nice.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Micromancer posted:

I am running for CSM16.

Bonus:

Grats Dude
And good luck on the CSM; Not subbed anymore so I imagine I can't vote.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I feel any one of us here briefly sharing an optimistic turn-around for our lives is a welcome digression. I didn't know you had it that bad Micromancer but I'm glad to hear you're digging your way out of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My least favorite thing about Kingdom Come is it not ever telling you which of the quests are time sensitive and I accidentally hosed myself over a lot because I had no idea. The game never tells you.

So I re-rolled just to see how I could better mess with the game and, curiously, found that the tutorial area could last a long time. And the herbs were densely packed. Which is why I had level 15 herbology and +2 points of strength from grass squats before I ever left.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My least favorite thing about Kingdom Come is it not ever telling you which of the quests are time sensitive and I accidentally hosed myself over a lot because I had no idea. The game never tells you.

So I re-rolled just to see how I could better mess with the game and, curiously, found that the tutorial area could last a long time. And the herbs were densely packed. Which is why I had level 15 herbology and +2 points of strength from grass squats before I ever left.

Every time I replay that game I max out that starting area and leave with a bunch of gold and really nice calves from picking all the herbs. It's the pro strategy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nipponophile posted:

Steam's got a big-rear end sale on Japanese games this week to mark Golden Week in Japan. There's tons of good stuff in there, but the one that jumped out immediately is Yakuza 0 for $5. That's a crazy good deal on a game that you can sink dozens of hours into.

That's the start of some amazing gaming. I'm working on the Kiwami games (goddamn Majima went crazy in a wonderful way), and just picked up 2 & 3 super cheap. There's so much to do in Zero that isn't the main quest that's still worth your time. The main story has great fights and amazing cinematics. There's nothing not to love here.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I got about 4 hours into Returnal on Friday, and had a lot of fun with it. It pretty much took four hours and the first actual boss to get me killed. Once you die, the map is procedurally re-generated. I don't know what you keep or lose, as I was already an hour and a half late on my promise to my youngest that he'd have a turn at Maneater on the console and I bugged out of the game to let him have his go... there's currently no 'save & quit' option while you're in a run.

The gameplay is really fun! I think people fresh off the recent DOOM game will enjoy this. The game is very kinetic, you need to move and shoot to survive, and holding still will definitely gently caress you over. Moving wrong will get you too, but you won't be screwed as badly as if you choose to hold still. The regular mooks you encounter give you a hint as to the "bullet hell" stuff the developer goes on about- bullets are always in some kind of cluster that require you to strafe or jump, or shift direction after the enemy fires off, or use dodge at just the right time to use its very brief invulnerability frames. The first boss I encountered was a mix of solid lasers, slow moving bullet clouds, rings to jump over that radiated from them, and a god drat dash punch that was what eventually did me in... I only dodged that fucker once, successfully.

There's some slight platformy Metroidvania type stuff with the environment to keep keep track of, but don't sweat it too hard or bother taking notes, because you're going to fuckin die and you're going to lose it all anyway. There's teleportation nodes, zipline anchor points (I didn't unlock the zipline ability in my run), and tricky split-second decision poo poo you have to act on quickly sometimes in order to score a specific reward. In some cases if you miss your chance, you've missed it until you die and procedurally reconstruct the world.

I've been reluctant to pick it back up however because it doesn't have any form of saving at all and the developer really thinks just suspending the PS5 when you're done is enough. There are so many problems with this, when you live in a power grid that just says gently caress it and browns out randomly on even a sunny day sometimes, or when you've got kids that you've promised a turn on the console; once you start a run, you're committed to it until you get killed again, or else you're just accepting that you're shutting the game down and starting a fresh, procedurally generated run the next time you boot up. But! The developer said they'll work on adding a 'save and quit', responding to the upset from players wanting to see at least that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Update, really warrants its own post. I just went back in for another hour and a half of Returnal, this is all after that first death that took a few hours. The only things that 'stayed' were a couple traversal gimmicks and the melee weapon. I'm assuming that if I get the grapple tool, that will stay too.

IF.

Because gently caress. The game has decided training is over and the difficulty has jacked way up. I don't need to worry about if anyone needs borrowsies on the television because my cycles now are real short. There are rooms with doorways marked in such a manner that I should probably be avoiding them while I'm still equipped with the level 0 start gun, but I go in anyways, and they're just wave after wave of a dogpile of fast moving enemies, and it's always one that I never saw that gets me. Now I'm seeing where people are talking about how god drat brutal this game is.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Great news, my man. We've been at doing this TFR thing together for a long long time and it's great to see things looking up for you.

Dude.

I miss seeing you guys over Memorial Weekend.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Micromancer posted:

If I can't make Atmus eat spoiled food I'm not buying it.

Boy do I have some bad news about Dead Rising 4!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Atmus posted:

Boy do I have some bad news about Dead Rising 4!

Is it “most things about dead rising 4”?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it “most things about dead rising 4”?

Probably! I only got to the part where it became obvious there wasn't normal co-op multiplayer and that Christmas was ruined.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Gray Stormy posted:

Dude.

I miss seeing you guys over Memorial Weekend.

Truth. Guns & shenanigans in the great white north were always good times. I haven't shot a gun in ~three years now, though I am planning to teach my son soon.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So, some more Epic Game Store financials coming out of the Epic vs Apple case, in this case since I post those Free Games every week:
https://www.polygon.com/22417954/epic-games-store-free-games-cost-epic-paid-publishers-developers
Article summarizes leak on buyout cost per game from 12/14/2018 to 9/26/2019. Reference:

Source Tweet: https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389297908890046465
Doc Dump for that day of the case: https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/folder/136698646305
Tweet picture is from page 8 of DX-3712.pdf

Buyout Price is the flat price paid, and Epic UA Cost is the User Acquisition Cost calculated by dividing Buyout Price by New Epic Accounts. So with their first free game Subnautica they paid $1.4m for the game which came out to $1.74 per user, while they paid $750,000 for Celeste which came out to $12 per user (not many users signed up for that). According to Page 11 of the PDF the conversion ratio from free game to some sort of paying user is 7% (1.3 million unique users of the 18.5 million unique users who signed up to get a free game).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 4, 2021

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/lovejinkles/status/1389950262127833091?s=20

I want to be killed by the giant lady

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Death by snoo snoo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I have a computer plugged into my TV that is a bit older, has a GA-Z77M-D3H motherboard. I took the guts out of it and put it into a larger cheap case, so I could put my old GPU (GTX980) into it. I needed to update the BIOS before it would recognise the card, which wasn't too hard, but now when I turn it on, it powers up, loads Windows, and then after 10-15 seconds (usually enough time to open Chrome, open Steam whatever) it power cycles. It will load into safe mode perfectly fine. The PSU is a 600w be quiet! unit that I got second hand from a friend. I tested both the GPU and the PSU in my main computer and they both work perfectly fine. I took the GPU out and plugged the TV into the mobo HDMI port and it works fine, which is what I had going before.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I wanted to be able to play games with 3D graphics on the big TV, which the onboard graphics on the CPU can't handle. Second solution might be just to change out the old mobo and CPU for something new and cheap, but I'd like to get it working for zero dollars if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Do you have another PCIe slot you can try the card in?