Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«84 »
5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was up in Northampton. The winters sucked (at one point we got like 36 inches of snow in the span of a few hours) but everything else about it ruled.

Noho is great! The Haymarket was my main 'get coffee, read a book' place. I'm also extremely glad to see Pinocchio Pizza is still up and running. PDX thinks they're a big deal with Pizza Schmizza, but Pinnochio had that 'we'll make a weird slice of pizza out of anything' going on first. I could laundry-list all the stuff I miss about Northampton. I haven't been back since 2002, so I'm starting to feel a little homesickness twinge talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

5er posted:

Noho is great! The Haymarket was my main 'get coffee, read a book' place. I'm also extremely glad to see Pinocchio Pizza is still up and running. PDX thinks they're a big deal with Pizza Schmizza, but Pinnochio had that 'we'll make a weird slice of pizza out of anything' going on first. I could laundry-list all the stuff I miss about Northampton. I haven't been back since 2002, so I'm starting to feel a little homesickness twinge talking about it.

It rules. I moved out of there in 2013 but I still visit it fairly often. If youíre ever back up that way shoot me a PM and weíll do a goon meet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was up in Northampton. The winters sucked (at one point we got like 36 inches of snow in the span of a few hours) but everything else about it ruled.

My mom lives in Northampton, and I spent the last couple Christmases up there. It's not that rough as winters go, really. The biggest thing I'd miss about living in a place like that is the pace of life of living in a city, but that argument doesn't work too well right now. Haven't sat around with friends over beers and shot the poo poo in a couple months, but maybe this summer...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

My mom lives in Northampton, and I spent the last couple Christmases up there. It's not that rough as winters go, really. The biggest thing I'd miss about living in a place like that is the pace of life of living in a city, but that argument doesn't work too well right now. Haven't sat around with friends over beers and shot the poo poo in a couple months, but maybe this summer...

With the exception of pointedly bad storms, winters haven't been "rough" since the early 90's in wmass. Used to be that you'd see the snow start around Thanksgiving week, and you wouldn't see the ground again until April. Winters since the mid-90s seem to be, it'll snow and cover the ground, then get melted off revealing ugly brown ground until the next snow. January, February and most of March are still below-freezing shitfests though. I loving hate the cold, and it's those three months that resolve me to never move back if I can help it.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Only part of New England I've been to was Maine. It was super pretty in the summer, but I hear the winters are awful.

I'm torn right now between moving further out into CO (Arkansas River Valley) or buying some acreage back in Georgia or somewhere else in the Appalachians. I've got a feeling CO is gonna slowly jump on the CA-level anti-gun bandwagon as Denver/Boulder/FoCo continue to dominate the state from a political standpoint. Most rural sheriffs have said gently caress you to the state-level gun stuff, but that only goes so far.

Also sometimes I really miss how green Georgia was.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Akion posted:

Only part of New England I've been to was Maine. It was super pretty in the summer, but I hear the winters are awful.

Yeah, I've been up there in the winter and saw -40 a few times.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fuuuuck that noise. That's been a lot of what turned me off to Idaho/Montana as well. The CO winters are about my upper limit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

5er posted:

With the exception of pointedly bad storms, winters haven't been "rough" since the early 90's in wmass. Used to be that you'd see the snow start around Thanksgiving week, and you wouldn't see the ground again until April. Winters since the mid-90s seem to be, it'll snow and cover the ground, then get melted off revealing ugly brown ground until the next snow. January, February and most of March are still below-freezing shitfests though. I loving hate the cold, and it's those three months that resolve me to never move back if I can help it.

It's weird. I hate the cold initially, but once I get acclimated I'm completely fine. 2 years ago while I was there, we went for a long hike and I got some gnarly blisters from obviously not-broken-in boots. I spent the rest of the time wearing sandals - including on the half mile walk from her place to downtown and back, at least once daily. Other than lack of traction on icy spots it was fine (no precipitation just then).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's weird. I hate the cold initially, but once I get acclimated I'm completely fine. 2 years ago while I was there, we went for a long hike and I got some gnarly blisters from obviously not-broken-in boots. I spent the rest of the time wearing sandals - including on the half mile walk from her place to downtown and back, at least once daily. Other than lack of traction on icy spots it was fine (no precipitation just then).

It's hosed up what you can get used to. During one of the stretches in Maine I found myself walking around in spring with a t-shirt on marveling at how nice the weather was.

It was 45 loving degrees. Felt like a summer's day because I'd been wrapped up in a parka shuffling around in -20 to -40 for months and considering it a nice day when it got above 0.

I can't even imagine how much I would bitch if I had to walk one mile in 45 degree weather today with just a t-shirt on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's hosed up what you can get used to. During one of the stretches in Maine I found myself walking around in spring with a t-shirt on marveling at how nice the weather was.

It was 45 loving degrees.

I had this happen in CT. I was a freshman at UConn, which is well-known for having the wind be extremely high and blowing in your face at all times no matter which way youíre facing. March rolled around and I was like, drat, this is a nice spring day, Iím gonna wear shorts!

30 degrees.

My time in NE hosed me up like that. I worked with a bunch of Texans at my last job and theyíd think I was nuts for wearing a polo shirt when it was 45 out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Even weirder than temperature is getting acclimated to the extreme north where you may never see nightfall during the summer, or the sun during the winter. I'll always remember this episode of Insomniac with Dave Attell. Interesting show if you never watched it, the basic premise was that he'd get drunk late at night in some city and go bar hopping, meet people, etc.

One of the episodes was in Anchorage during the summer, and it blew his mind that it was still bright out, everyone wearing sunglasses at 3AM. I'd love to visit Alaska at some point, but I'll stick with spring or fall when the hours are a little more normal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of battletech, I know most of ya'all who were gonna get it have already done so, but in case there's still some fence sitters it's 75% off right now on steam. Big ole Paradox sale going on right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Speaking of battletech, I know most of ya'all who were gonna get it have already done so, but in case there's still some fence sitters it's 75% off right now on steam. Big ole Paradox sale going on right now.

It's sooo good.

I'm still playing MW5 btw. I'll have an actual review up here in a bit.

I've got mixed feelings, but it's kept me playing long enough that I'm sure I'll at least beat it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CainFortea posted:

Yeah the game plus the three DLCs is like 25 CAD. Great price.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Oh boy a Doom Eternal update I wonder what has been added and impro-

PvP ruins loving everything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

It was 45 loving degrees. Felt like a summer's day because I'd been wrapped up in a parka shuffling around in -20 to -40 for months and considering it a nice day when it got above 0.

I can't even imagine how much I would bitch if I had to walk one mile in 45 degree weather today with just a t-shirt on.

It felt hot running the other day in direct sunlight and 75F. Meanwhile, last year I got so used to heat that I didnít think twice about doing 6 miles in 95-100F, 75% humidity as long as the sun wasnít all the way up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Huh so itís on update. Time to turn updates off I guess.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I uninstalled Eternal pretty early into the game, partly because I wasn't really gelling with the new scarce ammo / use every gun / always be mashing every loving button that's assigned to do anything playstyle, partly because I was hearing awful stuff about the marauder and figured I could wait and see if enough internet bitching would get the devs to tone it down, and partly because I had just started Persona 5 Royal and knew I was on the hook for that game for hours.

I'm ok with not installing it for a while more.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Capn Beeb posted:

I feel so much better about not buying this.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

If you play multiplayer games, especially shooter games you most likely have a kernel level driver anti cheat installed.
Battleye and EZ anti-cheat being the most prevalent.
arma, post scriptum, squad, apex legends, fornite, rb6 siege, insurgency, PUBG all use this method of anti-cheat.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Something had battleye on my system but I nuked it because windows got super mad at it while trying to update.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Steam has a new feature called "Play Next". Basically, click the link, and find out what games you own but have never played, that The Machine thinks you should play.

https://store.steampowered.com/labs/playnext

Also, none of those recommendations matter in the slightest because Terraria 1.4 comes out less than 12 hours after I make this post, so all of my time will be taken up by that for the foreseeable future.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

You play a game about mining? You miss work that much?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

It's literally the only game I've ever been creative in. Because you have to have a certain baseline of dwelling for your NPCs to move in, you have a framework to build off and it's easier to do a few little interesting things with it. As opposed to things like Minecraft which just gives you a blank slate and tells you you're on your own.

Plus you barely need to mine, it's mostly about fighting bosses, building bases and arenas and trying to break it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pretty sure Memento doesn't get to club giant skeletons to death with a yo-yo at work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Somebody Awful posted:

Pretty sure Memento doesn't get to club giant skeletons to death with a yo-yo at work.

One day we might dig deep enough. A man can dream.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Memento posted:

One day we might dig deep enough. A man can dream.

All that's down there is ash demons in the twisted shape of crabs with wings. Don't dig too deep.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Terraria is kind of a metroidvania but the progression is materials instead of skills to traverse new areas. Its way more action game with mining than mining game with action.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

But then there's Deep Rock Galactic, which is just dwarves extracting as much mineral wealth and/or salvage as possible while burning down bugs and booking it out of there before they get overtaken. Just came out of Early Access the other day. Been digging back into it lately.

I'll have to remember to link it when the next sale happens (or set an alert). Probably the game with the most chill pubbies I've met.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I've been up there in the winter and saw -40 a few times.

*looks on smugly from Minnesota*

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Still remember my partner being like 'you sure you want to go out in -15 degree weather' and my stupid rear end, being in Wisconsin in December, was like, "I work in freezers I'll be fine."

Ten degrees is a much bigger difference than you think

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Memento posted:

Steam has a new feature called "Play Next". Basically, click the link, and find out what games you own but have never played, that The Machine thinks you should play.

https://store.steampowered.com/labs/playnext

God this thing is awful. It's recommending me a bunch of games I got in bundles that I ignored because they're poo poo and I just wanted the good games.

I wonder if I should start doing that "remove this game from my library" thing now.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can never play too much Deep Rock Galactic.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Last winter we had 19 straight days where the air temp didn't get above -5.

Windchills hit close to -50

The gun range was covered in roughly 10 feet of snow.

Yay South Dakota

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

God this thing is awful. It's recommending me a bunch of games I got in bundles that I ignored because they're poo poo and I just wanted the good games.

I wonder if I should start doing that "remove this game from my library" thing now.

Same, mine gives me godawful recommendations for weird indie bundle trash. I think it prioritizes stuff you havenít played, which I think is a mistake. Iíd rather have it recommend me a game that I played for a couple dozen hours back in 2012 than some kind of weird and boring thing with awful pixel art.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

If for some reason you have The Turing Test which may have happened in any number of ways be it free from the PS4 games with Plus or maybe as part of that sick Square bundle a few days ago. Maybe you are looking at it as part of XBox Game Pass and wondering if you should install it.

Take the first half of Portal. Make the puzzles easier. At the beginning of each level put a trigger to spit out a couple lines of barely interesting dialogue. Make sure that absolutely no other dialogue happens until the test you are on has been completed. Make the tests take long enough to solve to have the player forget what was being talked about. Continue dialogue as if no time had passed. Put bonus rooms along the way that give no rewards other than reading material that is not even connected to what is supposed to be going on. At around the half way point you will start hoping the game is almost over. Surprise, it isn't. The gameplay doesn't change mind you, it's just still droning on at the same level of difficulty. Wrap the entire thing up into exactly the same Man Vs Machine trope that other games do. Put exactly one object in the game that can deal damage, and only ever have it controlled by the AI side. Three times. Ever. Two if you want the OTHER ending. Yes, there are two completely different endings to this game. The game is identical in all respects up to around the 20 seconds remaining part where you can choose which ending you want by doing nothing or something.

In TTT's defense, I did get stuck on one puzzle. But only because I had achieved road blindness and was assuming an object was a different object without looking at it. There are seven chapters, and a bunch of levels in each chapter. This game is predictable, trite and probably the most uninteresting game I've played yet. There is zero replayability here. Steam says I have 9 hours in the game and I feel that may be bloated due to getting food or taking a poo poo or any number of menial tasks that in retrospect were more fun. If you really want to install it and experience it I guess that's your choice. I have it free TWICE and I feel like I was ripped off.

I think my biggest gripe with the game is there is absolutely no danger. No skill needed to progress. No feeling of accomplishment when you figure out how to solve the room. Eventually you just get to the point where you are hoping the game will end and for as short as this game was, I still feel it was too long. Put some adrenaline in here somehow. IDFK how to actually fix it, but the message your story tried to give me was lost completely in the uneventful presentation.

gently caress this game completely. The best part of it is I can free up hard drive space for anything else. Narbacular Drop was more fun and that game barely had a game in it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had that game selected in my library since i'd gotten it from that bundle a few days ago and was thinking of installing it. Thanks!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I kinda suck at it, but I've also jumped back into KSP. I played in like... 2015 a lot, but they didn't have career mode so it was all bonkers bullshit and not the gentle buildup (or grind) to get parts and such.

Annoyed that it took me so long to realize that I could just right click and upgrade my launch platform for a pittance, but I guess it resulted in me getting to orbit in a very lightweight vehicle.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

I have fond memories of doing a successful Mun shot return trip mission, when KSP was still in beta. I then just barely managed to get a kerbal stranded on Duna, and I had no idea how I would be able to construct a rocket for a successful rescue mission, so kinda gave up and waited for the game to come out of beta. I never really returned to it, so at this point I'm just waiting for KSP2 to dive back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There is a whole hell of a lot of game now between when you stopped playing and now.

«84 »