Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«84 »
Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

CainFortea posted:

Those videos someone posted of that guy doing some kind of magic sudoku puzzle lead me down a rabbit hole and I found out that he and his partner put out some games on steam and various mobile devices. These games are different types of sudoku puzzles if you're into them.

They're pretty well done and have lots of options for how much help you want to be given. And the bundle is on sale right now.

Was that the video of the puzzle that only had two boxes filled in with some wild ruleset? I avoided sudoku for years because the fear of feeling stupid wouldn't let me attempt one and this video was absolutely wonderous to watch.

Starts slow and dry as you would expect but if you are like me and was interested in but couldn't bring yourself to try them, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKf9aUIxdb4

Seeing this unfold and the guy's reactions to the puzzle as it develops was simply wonderous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

That video is so pure and wholesome, it's a real panacea for the modern world.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

Glad you are enjoying it! What's your favorite truck? I try to use the GMC9500 for everything.

The L4OF is the Russian rural ambulance of choice if you wanna role-play! RRRrrrr creeeeak *engine stalled* "Y'all alright back there?!"

I am still legit in the tutorial and often buried in mud. No one is actively crapping out so I like experimenting and trying to get my wheels to bite in.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

Mostly engine limitations. Bethesda is stuck in a weird spot in terms of having one of the oldest engines out there, which is exacerbated by the fact that the continuous updates over the years weren't well documented.

I have loving treasured the years of "IT'S NOT loving GAMEBRYO", because they expect people to just sight-unseen accept that giving the same old loving engine a new label with every iteration, totally makes it ok and reasonable to pretend it's a completely new engine built from the ground up for the game you're in. "IT'S NOT loving GAMEBRYO", they shout, as the exact same console commands for the past 12 years do the exact same things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

5er posted:

I have loving treasured the years of "IT'S NOT loving GAMEBRYO", because they expect people to just sight-unseen accept that giving the same old loving engine a new label with every iteration, totally makes it ok and reasonable to pretend it's a completely new engine built from the ground up for the game you're in. "IT'S NOT loving GAMEBRYO", they shout, as the exact same console commands for the past 12 years do the exact same things.

gently caress as communities patch bugs in FO4 that were in Morrowind.

Itís not just that they refuse to get a new engine, they refuse to fix bugs that have been there for 20 years, and that fixes have long since been developed for.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

5er posted:

If I wrote something that had keywords I had been using for years to do something and a team of people that were used to using those words, I would likely use the same terms in the new iterations of the engine. I am in no way saying its not Gamebryo, but I am saying that best practice would be to reduce relearning things as a dev every new game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Micromancer posted:

Was that the video of the puzzle that only had two boxes filled in with some wild ruleset? I avoided sudoku for years because the fear of feeling stupid wouldn't let me attempt one and this video was absolutely wonderous to watch.

Starts slow and dry as you would expect but if you are like me and was interested in but couldn't bring yourself to try them, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKf9aUIxdb4

Seeing this unfold and the guy's reactions to the puzzle as it develops was simply wonderous.

Yea, that video. Also one of the only videos on youtube with not lovely comments.

But yea it sounds like *if* you wanted to give it a shot, these games would be your ticket since you can adjust the level of assistance it gives you even before asking for hints. Like it automatically clears pencil marks once you set a number. And if you make a mistake it can highlight it in red. These are all adjustable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Just gon' sneak up on this raider and pop his dome...

https://i.imgur.com/JT9bfyd.mp4

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 31, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

CainFortea posted:

Yea, that video. Also one of the only videos on youtube with not lovely comments.

But yea it sounds like *if* you wanted to give it a shot, these games would be your ticket since you can adjust the level of assistance it gives you even before asking for hints. Like it automatically clears pencil marks once you set a number. And if you make a mistake it can highlight it in red. These are all adjustable.

I got it and it took me literally 55 minutes to do level 1 lmao I'm so loving dumb.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nah poo poo like thatís an acquired skill like anything else. There are patterns and shortcuts and relationships/dependencies that you will figure out more as time goes on.

Most people arenít just naturally gifted at number puzzles even if theyíre normally really good at math.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, my times went from 25ish minutes at level 1 to 11 minutes at level 40.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I got a package. Goons are the best.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Just gon' sneak up on this raider and pop his dome...

https://i.imgur.com/JT9bfyd.mp4

Bethesda.exe

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

The more I think about it the more it feels like an utterly implausible miracle that New Vegas ever even happened and Fallout actually got to have more than one good game in the entire franchise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

This Unreal Engine 5 demo looks pretty neat. Games are so pretty these days

5er
Jun 1, 2000

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

This Unreal Engine 5 demo looks pretty neat. Games are so pretty these days

I hope the tools for making good looking content are stronger. I'm always a bit concerned that the robustness of capability in visual quality going up, also raises the complexity to produce such things, and could drive the raise in the cost of games. It's bad enough that we're dealing with an increase in lovely development house employee management, and the lovely executives at the top of all of that love indulging every excuse their evil lizard brains can come up with to validate it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh I wouldnít get too excited. Go back and look at PS3 era tech demos and youíll see a lot of graphics that would be a big ask on a 4.

Well absolutely see better graphics with a new console gen but Iím waiting on seeing what it actually looks like before passing judgement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh I wouldnít get too excited. Go back and look at PS3 era tech demos and youíll see a lot of graphics that would be a big ask on a 4.

Well absolutely see better graphics with a new console gen but Iím waiting on seeing what it actually looks like before passing judgement.

Control with everything maxed and ray tracing on is probably a good preview of what things will look like, at least until late in the next gen. It definitely looks fantastic but doesnít look like that.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Command and Conquer Remastered is coming out in only a few days (the 5th) and Green Man Gaming has it at the best preorder discount of 12%. Should be fun getting to relive my childhood ordering little pixelated army guys around. And more crunchy Frank Klepacki music is just icing on the cake.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

The only way I'll get the new system is if new titles need the newest hardware to run. Even then, I'll wait for a game I'd want to play.

Even though I play a low number of titles, I've more or less played video games my entire life. I've always been a pretty early adopter when it's a necessity for playing the games coming out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

God damnit I don't have an HDR tv and I don't want to be provoked into buying one right now.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My local target had some amazing deals

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm excited as hell for TV shows with the new LCD-wall soundstages to upgrade to this. S3 of The Mandalorian should be completely insane visually. They did S1/2 with Unreal 4. Unlike a console, a TV production can throw money at rendering hardware, so virtual set designers should have a field day. And maybe they'll visit more worlds that aren't rocky desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

No fair, they also drove out to a little pine grove just outside LA too.

«84 »