Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BeAuMaN posted:

Next he's going to say that he eats Ribeye well done with ketchup.

It's spelled 'catsup'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Iím so annoyed I have work today, Iím way too excited to play a remaster of a series Iíve already played for like 200+ hours.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Iím so annoyed I have work today, Iím way too excited to play a remaster of a series Iíve already played for like 200+ hours.

Rookie numbers. You're getting a chance to pump them up.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I just have to decide if Im going to Playstation or PC Mass Shepfect

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I'll have to demand a refund if they've so much as touched the facial animation technology.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Hello friends.

Do you like city-building? Do you have fond memories of games like Stronghold, but don't quite want to jump back into them?

Consider Becastled

Becastled is like the old Stronghold games, but more streamlined and with a very vibrant look to it. Just look at this poo poo:

Pastoral as gently caress.

After selecting map type and duration ( you can choose unlimited ), you plop a keep down and then get to building. The map is divided into hexes. Hexes require increasing amounts of resources ( usually wood ) to capture. Hexes might have wood or stone, or food resources like cows or boar. Some resources generate a resources, like deer hide, that when sold in a village market stall, generate mood ( higher mood means a faster spawn rate to fill any vacancies in your population ), money ( to support your army ), etc. And markets placed together boost wealth and mood bonuses, so grabbing those trade resources does matter.

Buildings can be placed wherever you want, except for towers and walls. These are placed in accordance to the hexes. Walls slot into the sides of the hexes, while towers can be placed at the corners. You can also choose which way the walls face, the direction of tower doors, whether they have doors or not, etc. There's a layer of strategy there and the placement system is pretty good. It doesn't feel confining or dumbed down. I can remember having to lay out huge sections of fortifications in AOE, and it was kind of a pain in the rear end, especially when there was a dumb rock or something that hosed up your placement.

Every day, the enemies spawn in increasingly difficult waves. How you choose to deal with them is up to you. You can just roll with a standing army. You can build a honeycomb of walls. You can gently caress around and find out. The combat itself doesn't have a tremendous amount of depth, but it isn't confusing, either. You see where the enemy attack will spawn. You plan accordingly. It doesn't pull things out of its rear end.

This is one of those Early Access titles, but at fifteen dollars, the game as it is right now is worth the money. The only bugs I've seen are that gates can be a little wonky in their placement ( sometimes ), and that enemies can get stuck inside a breached tower if they can't find room to mount the wall. I've also managed to get troops stuck inside a barracks by building too densely around it. These are pretty minor problems, all things considered.

Even if you don't buy it, I would highly recommend checking back on it in a few months.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

I'll have to demand a refund if they've so much as touched the facial animation technology.

Oh it's all improved, you can use the code import right from ME1. Problem is, the old face gallery sites are broken, so you're back to shaping clay manually for now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Mass Effect remains one of my favorite video games ever. Itís in the sweet spot with stuff like AP and New Vegas where itís modern enough that it doesnít drive me crazy via missing QoL stuff, itís a well made RPG, and in this case, it has a cool setting thatís a place I fuckiní love exploring. Itís also a connection to a time in my life that was really nice and itís a nice hit of nostalgia. Itís so nice to get to play it with a controller on PC now, I havenít used mouse and keyboard much in years.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mass Effect remains one of my favorite video games ever. Itís in the sweet spot with stuff like AP and New Vegas where itís modern enough that it doesnít drive me crazy via missing QoL stuff, itís a well made RPG, and in this case, it has a cool setting thatís a place I fuckiní love exploring. Itís also a connection to a time in my life that was really nice and itís a nice hit of nostalgia. Itís so nice to get to play it with a controller on PC now, I havenít used mouse and keyboard much in years.

I was the same through ME2.

But for such a story-driven game ME3 just poo poo the bed so hard that it makes it tough to revisit.

I mean, I know "ME3 bad" is a trite opinion at this point, but gently caress me, they really, REALLY did not stick that landing. It's like the GoT of games.

edit: or like, the anti-Witcher. W1 was Ok but not great, kinda mediocre if truth be told. W2 was good. W3 justified the other two games.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I still have fond memories of ME3

Yeah the ending was crap but the road getting there was pretty drat good. The multiplayer was great too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah the ending was crap but the road getting there was pretty drat good. The multiplayer was great too.

I'm one of those people who if you don't stick the ending it fucks up the whole story. Which I get is a "me" thing, but as far as I'm concerned the ending is the whole point of the story.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm one of those people who if you don't stick the ending it fucks up the whole story. Which I get is a "me" thing, but as far as I'm concerned the ending is the whole point of the story.

I'm the same way. I'll never watch GoT again, ever.

I'll definitely replay ME3 in the Legendary edition, but I know I won't like the ending. The first half of ME3 was so good... they just didn't write the ending well and were too "SUBVERT EXPECATIONS AND gently caress ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE ELSE" just like Dipshit & Dipshit 2 from GoT.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

I still remember the stories of how folks that actually understood plot, player agency, lore consistency etc etc got sidelined in favor of TALI-CHAN IS MY WAIFU people at the writer's table and... yeah, I'd believe that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

They spent three games building up to just lazily photoshopping some Gettyimage picture lmao

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's spelled 'catsup'
No it's not; that's just a greeting for cats.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is kind of me. Also won't watch GoT again as Bored said. There's probably some exceptions to this rule for me but it's few and far between. Anime wise TTGL stuck the ending while Kill la Kill didn't imo; haven't watched Kill la Kill since (never saw the OVA).

On that note: Netflix killing shows at season 2 or 3 without warning is leaving many with no ending. Or the writers have to plan each season to be the series finale.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 15, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The greatest ending to never happen is the version of The Room where his flying car leaves with his body. The world was robbed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ME 3 released at a tremendously work-busy time for me plus mixed reviews, so never played it.

Maybe I can jump back in. Except not now, because I am tremendously work-busy.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Action-Bastard posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm kind of down the middle on these opinions. I was originally furious with ME3's ending despite enjoying the earlier part of the game (although Vega was such a lovely character it almost capsized that experience too), so much so that my usual routine of replaying the game for the other morality options, then replaying it a couple more times just to see if I missed anything, was broken. I did the first run and was so put off by the ending (as well as an urge to never hear another line out of Vega) that I didn't go back to that game for eight years. I was inconsolable. I was impervious to "oh but they patched the ending, oh but they put in more dlc that better explains the reaper's existence and motivations" talk. It was bad, and EA/Bioware further being run into the ground via numerous and compounding bad management choices also augmented my disgust with the way the game finished.

I did a heavily, heavily modded 1 thru 3 run on PC about a year back. Told Vega to shut the gently caress up with his nicknames and it made his character a bit more tolerable, the 'Reaper explanation' dlc to be meh but also tolerable, and the 'extended' ending I chose (the blue option (and yes I'm spoilering this JUST IN CASE where Shepard's psyche is absorbed into the Reaper collective mind) was a much more okay reconciliation than the first time I had done it.

I will always have a soft spot for ME1 and 2... ME1 had incredible and impressive narrative moments, and Wrex is one of my favorite wingmen of any game of all time, Garrus tailing him for a close second. ME2 brought in much more satisfying gameplay, and while the story wasn't much of a great leap over 1 (I felt like it lost that sense of mystery and wonder of delving around for 50k or older artifacts while trying to figure out what happened to the earlier sentient species), it still had good pacing, lots of tension, and the celebrity cameos were a nice touch. ME3 traded all of that for the overwhelming sense of dread involved in trying to end a murder robot genocide run, and everything about that was some good poo poo until the ending.

Overall, I think anyone that's never played this poo poo will likely not have the 'problems' many of us did in the launch era. With the textures updated, this game does 'age well' imo. loving shame they chopped off the multiplayer part. EA probably wants to try to repackage that part and sell it as its own thing.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Action-Bastard posted:

Nah game sucked. Well maybe the multiplayer was good, but I just hated 3. I hated it because I wanted to like it. I hated it because I loved 1 and 2. I hated it because it was a tonal mess and the pacing was just awful and they did a lot of really hamfisted poo poo. Don't get me wrong, ME was not a series for subtleness most of the time, but come on. And I will die mad about that stupid loving ninja. And the end area of the game was just unfinished and garbo and why, why would you bring the game to a jarring halt to have the game exposition at you at the CLIMAX, WHAT IN THE gently caress

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

The biggest mistake the mass effect series made was dropping the awesome synth heavy soundtrack in 1 for generic orchestral stuff.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The biggest mistake the mass effect series made was dropping the awesome synth heavy soundtrack in 1 for generic orchestral stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I looked at the original release dates of Mass Effect, thinking "why did I never play these games?" 2007, 2010 and 2012 I was playing World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft, and World of Warcraft.

Basically this tweet sums up my experience with the games.

https://twitter.com/VictoryPosition/status/1393351778536656899

Having said all that I got a good deal on the Legendary Edition, so now I'm going in as a completely new player in 2021. Wish me luck!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Do not become addicted to infinite ammo, but do become addicted to alien waifusbandos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I have thrown so many grenades while trying to reload my gun out of habit. I wish they kept the ammo system in all the trilogy though; it was great.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I tried to get into mass effect but the first one was so awful I couldn't stand to even consider the series further.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I've mentioned this before but shortly before playing 3 I went back to replay 1 and get an ideal save file to import to 2 and then to 3.

drat that game hadn't aged well, gameplay wise. The story pacing was glacially slow and the combat was clumsy and dated.

Just one of those games you remember fondly but never want to play again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Meanwhile I dropped ME2 halfway through it because the only thing I liked was the side stories as the plot and gameplay was just various degrees of bad. And gave 3 a wide berth.
Not sure I'd ever replay 1 but it's definitely my favourite of the lot.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Action-Bastard posted:

I've mentioned this before but shortly before playing 3 I went back to replay 1 and get an ideal save file to import to 2 and then to 3.

drat that game hadn't aged well, gameplay wise. The story pacing was glacially slow and the combat was clumsy and dated.

Just one of those games you remember fondly but never want to play again.

The first stop at the Citadel took me hours and I was sick of just talking to people the first time I played. I abandoned the game for a few months at the start. But after people were raving about the game I just toughed it out until you get made a Spectre and then properly unleashed on space, which is where the game really opens up. I don't blame anyone for walking off the first game because it drags, because inventory and gear mod management is a clusterfuck, but this game hit enough of the right RPG notes for me that I kept coming back.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Atmus posted:

Streaming? Building settlements still?

No, and the settlement thing didnt go so well its a full on playthrough.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Paragon run 1 down! Off to the renegade / insanity run before importing to ME2. Feel like I've been hanging out with the Ghost of Christmas Past, but no baggage involved about my current lousy lifestyle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

The PC port of Days Gone is definitely more Death Stranding than Horizon Zero Dawn. Hour and a half in, no glitches, 100+fps consistently on my laptop. Canít wait to see how it does with my desktop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The PC port of Days Gone is definitely more Death Stranding than Horizon Zero Dawn. Hour and a half in, no glitches, 100+fps consistently on my laptop. Canít wait to see how it does with my desktop.

You are not helping me to not buy this tonight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have you ever played it? Takes a bit to click but itís really good, nice mix of stealth and ďoh gently caress oh poo pooĒ early on. Once you have more options (like the DP12) you can go ham on zombies.

So many zombies.

And zombie bears

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have you ever played it?

Nope.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

No poo poo. I've got a lot more Mass Effect too.

It's a great game! Story is a bit of a slow burn at the start, and the best 'thing you should know for first time players' is to leave the open world stuff for late or post game when you're better geared to deal with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

5er posted:

No poo poo. I've got a lot more Mass Effect too.

Iím so loving annoyed ME legendary and Days Gone PC released four days apart, itís so much game.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can confirm, poo poo runs great

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wonder whether my Phenom II and RX560 can run it...

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If anyone is going to pick up Days Gone, Fanatical (formerly Bundle Stars) is selling Steam keys 15% off already. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/days-gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

Dip Viscous posted:

If anyone is going to pick up Days Gone, Fanatical (formerly Bundle Stars) is selling Steam keys 15% off already. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/days-gone

there are cheaper alternatives if you look around. Gamersgate and Gamerbillet (both v legit) have it at Ä35, for example.