Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Lmao installing both heavy gear games is like 2GB.

The last time I played either 500MB was a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also best Far Cry is still Primal Blood Dragon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Giancarlo Esposito is a cool dude, personally.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Giancarlo Esposito is a cool dude, personally.

I'm just waiting for a video game where you play someone as competent as Mike.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

I'm just waiting for a video game where you play someone as competent as Mike.

At this pace Iím gonna be dropping news about a game where you play as Clive Owen.

E:entirely hypothetical. Just know Lance Reddick and Giancarlo Esposito.

But that is really fuckiní cool.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

High Employment crashes my game every time I try to fly more than one system at once, and sometimes when I try to travel at all, but apart from that, those mods have gone a long way towards making a "this is a pretty fun game" into a "I'm really enjoying this and will play it through to the end".

One big gripe I've got is that when the report lady of the indeterminate accent says "Recon reports additional forces entering the engagement area", would it kill her to tell me where from? Just a cardinal direction callout is all I ask.

Currently running around at 132km/h in a Cicada with four medium lasers on group 1 and 2 SRM2s on group 2. Either of them will squash any armour flat in one go, and running at that speed at a flanking angle to basically any opposition 'mech means they almost never hit me but I can peel chunks off them every time. No jump jets, which would be nice, and if I'm not careful I outrun the rest of my lance, but as it is it's a 9/10 'mech.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

You can sketch high employment if itís causing you issues. Itís purely convenience.

Itís been prone to breaking with patches. Already happened to me once.

The good news is that as long as your mods donít directly gently caress with mechs (so hard point mods etc) the game is really good about letting you install / uninstall poo poo mid-play through on the same save.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Nipponophile posted:

e: And nothing about the rumored Marvel Xcom. Boooo.

That's because that's most likely on the 2k stream later today.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Thanks for the breakdown, Cyrano. I'm honestly surprised none of the old games are on Steam or Good Old Games. On a related note, do you have any opinions on the DLC for Battletech and the mods? Roguetech looks pretty good.

And since you mentioned it, what would be a good ( non-jungle carbine ) Enfield to buy if someone wanted a shooting example? Is there a large difference in price between WW1 examples and WW2?

I've been enjoying Battletech and learning it. Been enjoying some games of MWO, too. Might even try getting into the lore. Tex makes it sound so cool when he does his Tex Talks videos. Apparently he has a podcast so I'll probably start listening to him blather about poo poo there, too. He has a very good voice for what he does.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

GOG is giving away Hellpoint; a Sci-Fi Action-RPG that's allegedly Souls-like:
https://www.gog.com/game/hellpoint
Make sure you're logged in.
Click the green "Go to giveaway" button.
That will take you to the front page.
Scroll down until you see the banner.

Click the "Yes, and claim the game" green button. Then it will be added to your GOG account.

Offer is good for another ~44 1/2 hours from this post.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Lmao installing both heavy gear games is like 2GB.

The last time I played either 500MB was a big deal.

I finally decided to get started with AssCreed: Bloody Vikings. It is nearly a 90GB download, and I had to uninstall The Witcher 3 to install it.

I guess I should stop being lazy and just install this 2 TB SSD I bought about a month ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thanks for the breakdown, Cyrano. I'm honestly surprised none of the old games are on Steam or Good Old Games. On a related note, do you have any opinions on the DLC for Battletech and the mods? Roguetech looks pretty good.

I've been enjoying Battletech and learning it. Been enjoying some games of MWO, too. Might even try getting into the lore. Tex makes it sound so cool when he does his Tex Talks videos. Apparently he has a podcast so I'll probably start listening to him blather about poo poo there, too. He has a very good voice for what he does.

All the various DLCs are worth it for BT. They frequently go on sale, but honestly even at full price they're fine. Well, except the Shadow Hawk pack. That's just a single mech skin that was a bonus for the kickstarter backers. I mean, it's $3 so if you like it you do you, but it's just a skin.

Here's the rundown on the DLCs:

Flashpoint - adds flashpoints, which are basically scripted mini-campaigns. Very, very worth it for career runs. They're fun and give you a bit more than just the usual generated merc missions. Also adds a few extra mechs ,but really the flashpoints are worth the price of admission. Also adds the jungle biome and one or two mission types.

Urban Wafare - I like this one ,but if you wanted to skip any of them it's the most skippable. It adds electronic warfare (so ECM units) which is honestly not that major a feature. It also adds the urban maps, though, which I think is huge. Also comes with a few extra flashpoints. Also adds in the usual smattering of a few new mechs and a few new vehicles, plus another mission type.

Heavy Metal - adds a bunch of new mechs, adds a bunch of rare lostech weapons, and adds a huge mini-campaign. I really, really liked the campaign too.

Flashpoint is the one that i'd say is must get, but really I'd just buy the season pass and grab all 3 of them. MSRP on the pass is $50, but it goes on sale a lot. Some lazy googling shows it at $15 on G2A, so I assume the various key reseller websites have plenty of them. If you bought it on GoG the season pass is 50% off there right now, which is about average for when it goes on sale on Steam.

If you're into learning the lore and like pulpy teenage boy grade novels, I can suggest a few. It's all very much airport grade fiction (think about the same literary merits as Star Wars novels) but they're fun if you're into BT.

quote:

And since you mentioned it, what would be a good ( non-jungle carbine ) Enfield to buy if someone wanted a shooting example? Is there a large difference in price between WW1 examples and WW2?

Pretty much whatever you can find reasonably cheap. There were a bunch of Indian surplus SMLEs that came in about ten years ago, you can still find those semi-reasonably priced. They tend to be very rough cosmetically but fine for range fuckery. The Brits refurbed all their guns a million times and then passed them off to other people, so you can get pretty much anything there. I've got one with a 1915 receiver date that was updated to the No1MkIII* standard probably after world war 2, for example.

Besides that? You can find OK deals on No IVs if you look around, but they tend to be in nicer condition.

Lurk around Gunbroker, you'll find something.

fake edit:

here's some extremely lazy gunbrokering just to give you an idea

WW2 No 4 Mk 1 for $600 with no bids. Pretty representative of the kinds of rifles that were coming in 15 years ago when they were cheap. Not the cheapest option but you've got a very good chance of it being a good shooter. No action on it, but it's also priced about what it's worth. Not the worst gun to get if you get it for the starting price

WW1 era SMLE for $450 with 8 hours left. I'm almost certain this is one of those guns imported from India. Check it out just to see what I mean about the finish and condition. It would probably be a fine shooter. Worth eyeballing just to see what it ends at. If you could get it sub-$500 it's absolutely worth that..

Better condition WW1 SMLE, $300 starting bid, $600 bin. This one doesn't have any action yet. Honestly if I was trying to get an enfield right now I'd probably just slap BIN on this. $600 isn't a screaming deal, but it's about fair (probably on the lower side of fair tbh) and there's some value in not having to monkey with watching auctions. Comes with two mags which is a little silly, but see which one works and flog the other on EBay for $30.

Another WW2 gun, $375 starting bid, no action and 3 days left. It's a US PROPERTY marked Savage-manufactured lend lease gun. I expect someone to notice and if nothing else drop a low ball offer on it, but if you got it for anything less than $500 it would be a really, really, REALLY good deal, especially considering the bayo it comes with. The pictures are terrible but hopefully that keeps the price low.

Another WW2 Savage that I looked up just because I was curious what the others are going for. This will go for more than it's currently listing at, but since it's a penny auction with competent pictures it's also a good one to watch to see what it goes for. Good proxy for what you can expect.

Some cursory glancing at completed auctions shows that you can get one all day long for the $600-800 range, and if you're patient and watch a bunch of auctions $400-600 is doable.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

That's brilliant. I'll get back at you when I'm serious about putting down change on an Enfield. I'm still undecided if I want a WW2 or WW1 example, but I know I'd like it to be Un-hosed. Collecting one rifle from all the major powers of both conflicts is my backburner 'when opportunity presents' collection habit at the moment.

I should grab a Carcano at some point while they're still cheap and relatively plentiful. Some models would count for both wars.

And yeah, I'd take any BT novel recommendations, especially if they're newbie friendly. The lore is neat. Listening to Tex riff about the lore is fun.

Speaking of, I just listened to this episode of his podcast. He has on a nuclear power plant guy, and he ( along with his co-hosts ) riff about nuclear stuff and sci-fi setting stuff in general. It's fun and worth a listen.

The following exchange should sell you:

Tex: "How would you design a self-destruct for a nuclear starship?"

Nuke guy: *pause* "Spring-loaded rods."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

And yeah, I'd take any BT novel recommendations, especially if they're newbie friendly. The lore is neat. Listening to Tex riff about the lore is fun.

The three starter trilogies are the Grey Death Trilogy, the Warrior Trilogy, and the Blood of Kerensky (Clan Invasion) Trilogy.

Grey Death is:
1) Decision at Thunder Rift
2) Mercenary's Star
3) The Price of Glory.

This is the story of Grayson "Death" Carlyle, the merriest of the Mary Sues. It's the prototypical "building a merc company" story that basically every video game has rehashed. The first book is literally the dude's dad getting got and him taking over a merc outfit that's totally hosed. By book 3 he's unearthing a big mysterious mcguffin that has major lore implications down the road. Some of the specifics are a little rough in the first book (odd random geek poo poo like the weight of weapons) but that's because it was written really early. Chronologically the first books.

Warrior is:

1) En Guarde
2) Riposte
3) Coupe.

They're all about the big political moves leading to a huge royal wedding with major lore implications and the kick off for the 4th succession war. This is basically Battle Tech: The Soap Opera (With Robots) and has major, huge lore implications. It's also just kinda goofy fun.

Blood of Kerensky is:

1) Lethal Heritage
2) Blood Legacy
3) Lost Destiny.

It's basically Warrior: The Next Generation. All the dudes that you were following in their soap opera robot space adventures in that trilogy? Now you're following their kids. More importantly this is the series that describes the clan invasion and all the poo poo that goes down during that. Probably the most important trilogy lore-wise. That invasion was the Big loving Event that changed the universe in pretty profound ways . It's also a lot of peoples favorite era, but those people are wrong.

I'd probably recommend doing Warrior first if you want to jump into lore poo poo, although Grey Death is a solid first choice too and has the advantage of taking place a bit before Warrior. If you get through those three trilogies I've got some opinions about the other books but that's the starter kit.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Cyrano4747 posted:

More importantly this is the series that describes the clan invasion and all the poo poo that goes down during that. Probably the most important trilogy lore-wise. That invasion was the Big loving Event that changed the universe in pretty profound ways . It's also a lot of peoples favorite era, but those people are wrong.

Mod Freeborn scum!

quote:

If you get through those three trilogies I've got some opinions about the other books but that's the starter kit.

Unpossible!

Actually, I've read Thunder Rift multiple times, it being the only BT novel I came across, long before I ever encountered the actual game.
The M4R-Y5U(e) combat unit does figure heavily into it, true.

So, Thunder Rift, followed by watching a game of Third Succession War, then playing (badly) one, buying TSW even though I sucked and had no one to play with, snagging some House sourcebooks for fluff-reading, and eventually getting a boxed set and grabbing tech readouts, some expansions, and magazines before stopping due to extreme brokeness and inflation of everything needed to be a completionist.

Did end up getting the grav-tank part of Renegade Legion, and never played that either.

Computer side, I played the poo poo out of Ralph Reed's Amiga TT conversions, then the next one was when I Kickstarted HBS BT and played the poo poo out of *that*. Missed or avoided everything else...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

That's because that's most likely on the 2k stream later today.

I didn't see anything about a 2K stream. Did you confuse it with Take Two?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I finally decided to get started with AssCreed: Bloody Vikings. It is nearly a 90GB download, and I had to uninstall The Witcher 3 to install it.

I guess I should stop being lazy and just install this 2 TB SSD I bought about a month ago.

I buy a 2TB SSD like every other month. Itís a problem.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Yo holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6xokWDiaw

I was expecting this early next year let's gooooo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh no. Oh no no no.

I can't let myself get sucked in again.

But it looks so good

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll be playing the superior console release. Like seriously, Diablo 3 on PS4/Xbox feels miles better than on PC just for the analog moving, rolling and aiming.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

D3 with a controller was a quantum leap over KB&M.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Getting it on Switch and playing it in bed is even better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I really hope they do controller support on PC, I have no idea why they didnít bring that to D3. Itís really so much better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Nipponophile posted:

I didn't see anything about a 2K stream. Did you confuse it with Take Two?

I might have done that yes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Idly doing MWO on and off. Current mechs:

AC/10 Urbie
AC/20 Hunchback
Firestarter
Awesome

So far the Urbie and Hunch are most entertaining to me. With the Hunch, I stripped off everything but the AC/20, boosted the ammo and armor, then filled out the remaining slots with flamers. Ambushing someone mid-fight with flamers, shutting their mech down, and then punching an AC/20 into their cockpit is really, really funny. The Urbie is great because it combines 'small, easy to miss' with 'oh God, my legs'.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Memento posted:

D3 with a controller was a quantum leap over KB&M.

Depends on your spec. Spray'n'pray like DH UE MS, or PBAoE/melee poo poo like some necro builds, WW barbs, etc, thrived on a gamepad. Specs that did better when you could call your shots, where they were ideal for using an AoE on some unoccupied space to try to hit things around a corner like Monk SWK / Bells, many wizard builds, and a lot of WD builds that relied on zombie wall, do better with KB/M.

Having dumped a disgusting amount of hours in PC, PS4 and Switch versions of Diablo, every spec is very viable regardless of whether it does better on one control scheme or another. I'll definitely hit the D2 remaster on PC first, but it is an absolute given that I'll be doing a console version next, *especially* with the 8-player co-op in mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

All 4 of those are really solid mechs. The Awesome is a bit of a barn door (in terms of as easy to hit as) but it has some mean hardpoints.

Something to work on with the Hunchback is hill humping. That AC20 is located really high up, which means you can be on the downslope of a hill, pop up a little bit and take a shot over it, then pop back down. If you do this right you only expose a little bit of your mech for a little bit of time while getting off your high damage hit. It's also good at corner poking for the same reason - big gun on one side, get perpendicular to a corner and torso twist so that when you move forward you pop out for a second, rip a shot, and pop back.

The other big thing to work on with those mechs is spreading damage. Long story short never be looking directly at the enemy unless you're actively pulling the trigger on them. DOn't get into staring contests. You want to be constantly waggling your torso so that incoming fire gets spread around and they don't just core you out.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I bought into MWO early and haven't played in years. Is the Founder's Atlas any good? That and an Awesome are the only two mechs I remember having.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

I bought into MWO early and haven't played in years. Is the Founder's Atlas any good? That and an Awesome are the only two mechs I remember having.

The atlas has a few good builds, yeah. There are some websites out there with all the hyper-meta poo poo, but the tl;dr is going to be to go very heavy on short range weaponry and learn how to toros twist. The classic build is an AC20 of some flavor, max out the missile hardpoints with SRM6s, and fill the rest with ammo and heatsinks. Walk around a corner, unload on some motherfucker, and then twist in any direction other than facing them while your weapons cycle. The advice I was given by a friend whos' really good at the game is to shoot and then try to look at your mech's right hip. You want to be changing both the horizontal and the vertical alignment of your torso. Once you're good you'll be bobbing back half way through the weapon cycle, so you're in a routine of shoot, bob, shoot again as soon as your'e poo poo is cycling.

IIRC a lot of the atlases have a basically sacrificial toros too - no weapons on the left side. SO bias towards twisting right and make them chew through your whole left toros before they start making you less combat effective. Whatever you don don't run an XL engine.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

After Metroid Other M I was content to never give a poo poo about another Metroid announcement ever again because of how awful an experience that loving thing was. But, I just saw a trailer for Dread, and if it's genuinely the case they're going back to their 2d platformer exploration roots like o.g. and SNES Metroid, I am 100% in.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

The atlas has a few good builds, yeah. There are some websites out there with all the hyper-meta poo poo, but the tl;dr is going to be to go very heavy on short range weaponry and learn how to toros twist. The classic build is an AC20 of some flavor, max out the missile hardpoints with SRM6s, and fill the rest with ammo and heatsinks. Walk around a corner, unload on some motherfucker, and then twist in any direction other than facing them while your weapons cycle. The advice I was given by a friend whos' really good at the game is to shoot and then try to look at your mech's right hip. You want to be changing both the horizontal and the vertical alignment of your torso. Once you're good you'll be bobbing back half way through the weapon cycle, so you're in a routine of shoot, bob, shoot again as soon as your'e poo poo is cycling.

IIRC a lot of the atlases have a basically sacrificial toros too - no weapons on the left side. SO bias towards twisting right and make them chew through your whole left toros before they start making you less combat effective. Whatever you don don't run an XL engine.

What's the idea with an undersized engine? Lower tonnage options to max out armour? I ask because Atlases are plenty slow as it is; making them even slower sounds like turning into an Urbie's incredibly violent uncle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

What's the idea with an undersized engine? Lower tonnage options to max out armour? I ask because Atlases are plenty slow as it is; making them even slower sounds like turning into an Urbie's incredibly violent uncle.

XL is a specific engine type that weighs less but takes up more space. Inner sphere XL engines (which the atlas uses) have three crit slots in the side torsos, which means if you lose that torso your mech dies. Meanwhile a standar engine thatís only on the center torso means you can survive as just a head and two legs on a popsicle stick CT.

You want to be as fast as you can while having the weapons armor etc you need. Generally atlases use the standard 300 rated engine (ie the one it comes with) but I think if youíre minmaxing you can squeeze in a STD325 or so for an extra few kph.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I really hope they do controller support on PC, I have no idea why they didnít bring that to D3. Itís really so much better.

Last I saw the PC version will have controller support

5er posted:

After Metroid Other M I was content to never give a poo poo about another Metroid announcement ever again because of how awful an experience that loving thing was. But, I just saw a trailer for Dread, and if it's genuinely the case they're going back to their 2d platformer exploration roots like o.g. and SNES Metroid, I am 100% in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tYzveufd9Q

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It looks so. Goddamn. Good.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Literally been waiting on Metroid 5 for almost 20 years. Iím gonna play through some of the games to celebrate

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Which game is considered Metroid 4? Fusion? So only two games since 1994 are considered canon?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

That Nintendo Direct had so much good stuff in it that I was practically expecting them to drop in a new F-Zero and Mother 3 at the end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

Which game is considered Metroid 4? Fusion? So only two games since 1994 are considered canon?

Prime is canon as far as I know but itís slotted in somewhere in the timeline of the 2D games. Between 2 and Super Metroid I think?

E:between Metroid and Metroid 2, apparently.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

That Nintendo Direct had so much good stuff in it that I was practically expecting them to drop in a new F-Zero and Mother 3 at the end.

Where's Bayonetta 3 already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

In my latest Battletech run I've gotten better at learning how and when to take something down specifically to salvage the most parts.

But I've also taken down 5 mechs with just random headshots. Four were just rando AC/10 rounds that were part of a salvo. The fifth was that same mech making a melee attack and shearing off the head of a full HP medium with one punch.