Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Right now I want a Krag and a rolling block rifle of some kind really bad because of RDR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll look for it, I didn't see it earlier.

I'd like to avoid being gated out of content / making choices that I really regret if possible, even if that's somewhat against the point of the game. For example, I didn't do the arsonist quest because I didn't like how I saw it end on stream.

I am also going to have to force myself to stop running everywhere that's not halfway across the map so I can pick flowers constantly, they aren't worth jack poo poo and aside from a few rare versions I can get enough to make whatever potion I need in like 2 minutes

From the last thread:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Content wise, you will be asked early on about past choices (this happens in Vizima, after the opening setting of White Orchard). Tell the guy that nobody died.

Much later in the game, you will be given the opportunity to shove someone forcefully. Don't do it. Both of those choices can shut you out of content and in a game that long, a lot of people just don't want to replay it. Similarly, the ending to the main game will the affected by your choices as a dad. There are 3 endings, one of which is because you were unambiguously a Bad Dad. The choices are not very intuitive so if the ending matters to you, look it up.

Lastly, partway through the game at Kaer Morhen you will have a chance to drink with your Witcher bros. Do it and go all the way with it. Trust me.

What I'll add is that the two main love interests - Triss and Yen - pick one and stick with her. You can gently caress the random other girls, but if you try to romance both Triss and Yen it ends poorly. Funny, but poorly, and it's a game that has an actual good take on relationships and the like. This isn't the typical bioware "which waifu do you romance" poo poo, and if you play through to the end of the expansion they wrap it up really nicely.

(Yen is the best pick imo but you do you)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lpzie posted:

i hate how there's no trigger discipline in video games, safeties aren't on, and you can just point your gun at everyone instead of lowering them when in buildings or talking to people. it turns me off of games these days unless i can mod it out.

There are a few games where walking around with your poo poo out and pointing at people gets a pretty negative reaction. Plenty of RPGs. RDR2 is one I can think of right now, but there's a bunch.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Akion posted:

I went with young guy the first time, and old guy the second time so I could get my bad boy points to get the evil story missions.

R* has made it annoyingly hard to stay evil in this game when any manner of horse care makes you go from Literally Hitler to Gandhi in 3 seconds flat.

Just murder random NPCs and steal their horses, then ride them until you find another person to kill, kill them and execute the previous horse.

Extra points if you can steal a wagon because then you get more horses to murder.

edit: oh and if you run across a farm kill all the farm animals, then murder the farmer when he complains.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

God I remember breaking that game over my knee so hard with liberal abuse of salvage corvettes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Thatís pretty neat!

I wish I played my switch more it feels kind of neglected.

I got back into Dead Cells on PC, there is a bunch of new stuff in it since my last play and it owns.

I never got one because I kinda feel like that would happen. It looks cool but there's no first party nintendo games I care that much about and while I"ve got a solid commute on the subway, I'm pretty happy just using that time to read forums.

I get plenty of gaming time as it is on my PC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The one really compelling argument I can see for the switch is mobile gaming. If you travel a lot, have a hell commute where you're not driving, work a graveyard shift babysitting a desk, etc. it's way more capable than a phone or tablet (or gameboy) and way more handy than a laptop. If I had a job where I was flying a poo poo ton it would be a no brainer. I've also got a cousin with a young kid who swears by it because he can fiddle around with a pause-able game while bouncing the baby on his knee to get it to calm down or the kid's sleeping on him and he doesn't want to wake it up etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly if the switch had a way to synch saves between it and other platforms it would be a lot more attractive to me. Like, if I could play Witcher 3 on my PC using steam then fire up the switch version to pick up my save.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Finally got RDR2 yesterday. I was very happy to learn that you can bypass Rockstar's forced VRAM limitations by adjusting the settings in NVIDIA GeForce Experience; my computer is able to do 30-40 FPS easily at high texture settings, but the game will simply refuse to let me go above low otherwise and everything looks like smeared rear end.

What card, and what settings did you tweak?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Steeltalon posted:

Been playing RDR2 and having a hell of a good time just looking around. The landscapes in 1440p on high/ultra is a beauty to behold.

Yeah. I rarely screenshot games but I've got a whole folder for this one. poo poo, this was last night loving around fishing.

edit: that's only 1080 on medium/high (GTX970) too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guillermus posted:

loving this. I have still to play RDR2 (gonna get it on PS4 because my ancient PC won't be able to handle it) and while not a fan of Rockstar games, just wandering around that amazing landscapes...

The story is A+. Donít think itís going to be like GTA as far as that goes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Akion posted:

Dammit I lost my RDRO daily streak. Was at 37 days and must have just forgotten yesterday.

The daily streaks kind of annoy me. I mean, I'm glad it's helping me save my pennies to get a job (god such a dumb mechanic) but I also have to be out of town next weekend so I'm going to have to start over, which is annoying as piss.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Got RDR2 working again. Turns out when I made the swapover to that new drive I took My Documents with it since I don't keep it on C:/, which is exactly what I wanted, but what I didn't realize is there's a virtual link that needs updated in the actual system to tell it "Hey idiot My Docs is in this new drive now" so now the game works fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm under spec with my older i7 and 980 not-TI, but I've got it turned pretty high up because I was sick of the lovely playdough textures and am just running it 30 FPS lock and it's going well. It's not smooth exactly, since I never feel like 30FPS locks are exactly smooth, but it isn't dipping below 30 and I plan on upgrading my system at some point in the near future anyway (in fact I already am, hence the My Docs issue lol).

It's running pretty well for me on a 970. Like, not as beautiful as I want, but still not bad.

I just scored a 1070 on ebay for a decent price (about $200 after tax and shipping) that should be here in the next few days, so looking forward to that.

It's an interim card. I need something better than the 970 but I also need to be shopping for a new monitor (i'm at 1080p right now) and kind of want to see what AMD does in the next year with VCs. If I can string this 1070 along for a year and get 2/3rds of my money out of it by reselling I"ll consider it good.

edit: doubly so if I can get more than $50 for this 970.

edit 2: mostly I just want to kick the can down the road until we get a generation of video cards after the next console gen releases. That should be when we see a solid uptick in video requirements.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is gears of war worth playing? Any sense in jumping in at 4? both 4 and 5 are on the PC xbox game pass and I've been eyeballing them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíve never played any of them. Is there a point in jumping in 4 if you have no idea what itís about?

And I ask because my game time isnít unlimited so try to avoid jumping on even free trash.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Some quick googling shows a patent for a ďload platformĒ thatís like an early pallet in the 20s and some companyís website bragging about inventing the modern pallet jack in the 30.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1790019?oq=george+raymond#v=onepage&q=george%20raymond&f=false

Might have been something similarish but not identical before then. Dunno.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

With the understanding that crunch sucks and I want companies to treat their employees well, I'm OK with delays like this from a purely selfish, consumer standpoint.

From a standpoint of pure, selfish self-interest I would much rather play a fully developed, fully finished, full realized game six months later than one that's crashing all the time and missing neat features because they had to run it out for a deadline.

And yes, I hope this means their employees get treated well too. But I'm also happy that I'm not throwing sixty bucks at something that's half baked.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah with Doom Eternal and the new Vampire game the early spring is gonna be fairly packed already.

Speaking of vampire games, someone needs to hire the guys that made Vapyre and put them on a project with a budget. I've been playing it. The story is fun. But holy poo poo the game looks and feels like something from the PlayStatoin 3 era. Early PS3. Maybe late PS2. Everything from the inventory system to the combat to the way the character moves. Like. . . rear end creed 1 vibes from the "weight" that the character has when he moves.

Story's good but oof I don't know if I can do this for a game that I don't have some major nostalgia goggles for.

edit: I'm glad I got it for free with xbox live. I have no loving idea how they try to sell that thing for $60. If it was a $30 title I'd shrug and say "cool indie game" but priced like that you need to at least feel like something from the last generation of games. If I'd thrown down $60 for it I'd be a bit livid.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress it might be as simple as them punting so they aren't going nose to nose with Doom and whatever else is coming out that summer. Like, I"ve got a limited amount of time to play games and I'm going to play them both but if they drop the same week I'm sure as poo poo not buying them both right then, and if I'm waiting like that chances are I'll just wait until the next Steam sale to get the other one for 20% off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus for more 2020 nuttery, apparently Kotaku has 3 sources who each say that Sony is planning a late 2020 PC release of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That would be cool. Would like to play that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mortabis posted:

Crunch feels like the natural result of how the industry is structured. Partly it's because of all the interconnected bits that are hard to plan, but mostly because of the fact that people really want to be in that job for reasons other than money. You make way more as a software engineer at any other company than a game studio, typically working much friendlier hours, because it's not a "fun" job in a visible hobby industry. So, if you get sick of crunch, there's someone else out there who will happily take your place.

The reverse of that is that the industry preys on people who want to be part of an industry that they feel passionate about, and use that leverage to push them into working conditions that wouldn't be accepted anywhere else. You see similar poo poo in academia. It's lovely, and it ends up pushing people out of the industry.

edit: and it doesn't "have" to be that way, either in academia or in games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Do you mean Vampyr? I've been waiting to get it super cheap on PC or PS4 (in the 10-15 eurobucks range). But I should really just play and beat finally Vampire: Bloodlines instead.

Yeah, that.

Wait until it's really loving cheap. I"m not kidding when I say the actual gameplay is like something from 2006.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crunch as a short time thing near the end of projects isn't the end of the world. The issue in the game industry is normalizing crunch as a standard operating procedure and having it last for months, even years, before the product launches. There are some legit horror stories out there about companies like Bioware.

I've had crunch in other jobs. gently caress, it's a seasonal fact of life as an educator. Eventually you reach a point in the semester when a bunch of papers and a bunch of tests get turned in all at once and the administration needs your grades in four days. Time to open a bottle of whisky and sit down for a couple 14 hour days of grading. The thing is that this kind of crunch is very limited in scope (one bad weekend) and takes place for very non-negotiable reasons (seniors graduate in like a week, need their grades, and finale exams are a thing). It's that limited scope that's the big one.

Like unpaid OT for salaried workers it's one of those things that makes sense in some areas but can be brutally exploited in others. The c-level officer of a company dealing with a clusterfuck of a scandal should probably expect to pull some 60 hour weeks, as that's part of the expectation of the position and why he's compensated like he is. The manager of a Denny's shouldn't be pulling 60 hours a week every week because his boss wants him to be the last person to lock the door every night but aren't willing to pay a second manager.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thereís actually an article on arstechnica right now about game devs trying to unionize.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I just went wild bunch on Ďem and Iíve got zero regrets.

Shooting up a klan rally is just too fun to pass up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Hey nerds, Ubisoft is doing a big rear end sale wherein you can get the Super Ultra Ultimate Omega Turbo 64 edition of Division 2 for a whopping $18. That's down from $120

If I've already got Division 2, is there anything worth adding? Any kind of DLC or anything that's cheap?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whatís the status of div 2 anyways? Worth getting the season pass? Any new content? I dipped a bit after the big raid dropped. A bit before the mini gun spec came out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I've never done a Destiny raid, everything about the puzzle mechanics to them feels extremely loving tedious.

That and I'm a bit self conscious about being the new person and slowing down the works, I just wanna shoot things in the face with my sun gun and make pretty lights

Don't get me wrong, I"m all for letting people who are into that poo poo have it. I'm even OK with not being able to get the craziest tiers of equipment via it, or having it be a crazy low drop for filthy casuals like me.

But they really need a gently caress around mode for those raids. This is something WoW figured out ages ago. Put in a matchmaker and have matchmade raids on potato mode with the puzzles gimped etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was bad but after . . . 1.6 I think? It felt good. Meh, I had fun with it. The fact that enemies didn't die to a single headshot didn't really bother me. I never took it to be some kind of super realistic tactical sim game. It was an RPG, dumping a half mag of 5.56 into a dude's chest to drop him doesn't bother me that much.

Early on the HP was pretty hosed, especially on higher difficulties, but after a few tweaks it was fine. It was awesome for the last third or so of its run.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is Wildlands the one that came out a few years ago? That was OK. A firmly "meh, it's a game, let's shoot mans" kind of game. I give it a B-. I played it and beat it, but by the end it was dragging. It was perfect for jumping on for an hour and then jumping off. I can't imagine binging it.

I've heard the second is hot garbage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just heard something interesting about CDPR and crunch. Apparently they are still having the crunch poo poo, but unlike pretty much everyone else in the industry they pay their salaried employees OT during it. Above a normal working week they're getting 1.5x whatever their effective hourly is for the evenings and 2x for weekends.

So. . . . still a heavy pre-launch work load, but the people doing it are at least being compensated. Actually paying people for the extra time seems like it would also be an incentive for them to not over-use it. If you're paying double time to get a thing out the door you're not going to want to do that much longer than absolutely necessary.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. In interesting Cyberpunk news, they're saying that there is going to eventually be multiplayer but that it looks like it will come out sometime "after 2021," whatever that means.

Which, I'm pretty fine with. Frankly idgaf about the multiplayer, I'm here for a CDPR-quality single player game. Still, if it comes out long enough after the fact that I'm ready to go back it could be interesting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

If nothing else, CDPR never really described what multiplayer was going to look like. 2-4 person coop? 16 person with 4 man teams? Something else? It feels like they didn't really have a vision for it, almost the same way Bethesda didn't have a vision for Fallout 76.

That's not to say the game won't be great. I have no idea. But I'd rather wait another 2 years rather than get a half baked multiplayer format.

Cyberpunk is open world FPS right? I'm half assuming it will be an online playground mode, akin to GTAO/RDRO.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BadgerMan45 posted:

It should be Vesemir.

Joke option: open-world musical rhythm game where you play as Dandelion.

Your joke option is better than about 75% of all games released in any given year.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I also like the magazine refills but I seemed to do much better with a crappy vector for some reason. I want a gold vector now!!

I am holding off getting a cheap ($12) year one pass since the year 2 is coming soon and I may get that at the time. Really hope they add a bunch of new guns because getting kind of bored with the selection. At some time they did add a KSG but that seems to be the only one that stands out to me.

The fact that chatterbox is apparently still meta makes me kinda glad I skipped jumping back in.

Fun game but it really need some extra stuff

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Yuuup you kind of have to play handicapped if you decide not to use the epic guns. Mine is at lvl 490 and itís still OP as hell. The Nemesis at 500 is flat out ridiculous.

And yet the game is still stingy as hell for the ammo for the specialization gun which to be honest is not very overwhelming when used. The grenade launcher canít one shot a non named elite at all which seems silly. Best used against warhounds I find.

Still itís weirdly easy to get wrapped up in the world it is just so crazy detailed half the time I just walk around gawping at stuff. Probably it is even moreso for someone familiar with the DC area.

Oh yeah. That's the one thing I really love about it. Walking into a DC metro and recognizing the station was kind of a mindfuck the first time. They also did a good job with the area around Federal Triangle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

They should add a hunting/crafting thing to Div2 with all those deer and raccoons and whatnot running around. Get a badass hat.

Also dirt bikes. horses

FTFY

Red Division Redemption when?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So I played a bit of rage 2 on the xbox pass. Enough to get to the first dude you need to unlock to progress the story.

It's . . . . eh, not bad. Not good either. Like. . . it's a C. Not plus, not minus, you showed up to class and turned in the work and your final paper only made me pull directly off the bottle of scotch once. I hope you enjoyed your time in the class, please don't tell me this is your major, have a good life.

The gun play is fun, but not varied enough. When you're crawling around in a ruin or a sewer blowing poo poo up with the shotgun (which is super satisfying) it's good. The open world poo poo just feels like a chore. The upgrade system is . . . eh, it's there? For whatever reason it doesn't give me that RPG twinge of building a crazy OP character or anything. Just feels like something they thought they needed to have. You can unlock some other skills that look fun but . . . . i dunno, just can't really be bothered to.

The story is loving awful. The intro battle is loving embarrassing. It's a mix of cutscene and you fighting, which is fine, but the story parts are just . . . .wow. It feels like the interns from the Bulletstorm team wrote it. The same kind of almost edgy humor and sarcasm, but with none of the tallent. The radio banter with various people is OKish, and at least that happens during action. The NPCs you talk to are actively annoying. I"m not the kind of guy who skips cutscenes and dialogue. I like that poo poo. So when I say I was slapping skip repeatedly to get to the next gunfight it gives you an idea. It's a mix of bad voice acting, and the most generic of generic stories. There's a post apocalypse and your mom got killed by a robot general. Team up with her old buddies to murder Mr. Roboto.

Like, if it is a thing I actually owned I'd probably play it to the end because, gently caress it, gunplay is fun enough I guess. It's something I could get drunk and enjoy blowing people up with. But really it just makes me wish I was playing a better game. I already own both Bulletstorm and Doom and they do everthing Rage 2 does but way loving better. It's the epitome of a me-too game, and not in the sexual harassment way. Someone played Doom 2016 and wanted to do that but open world and just kind of made a wet fart instead.

At the end of the day it's just mediocre enough to not really be worth playing over other games. I kind of had a shooter itch, which is why I installed it and gave it a go, but now I'm uninstalling it and reinstalling Doom because the shotgun action in Rage (which is legit good, in fairness) got me wanting some double barreled rip and tear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, but if you have xbox game pass Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is on it. I"m about half way through and it's legit loving good. Play that game instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

What kind of game is that? Souls like?

Nah. Way too few enemies and less bullshit.

The gameplay is basically puzzle / platformer sections that are strung together with small combat sections in-between them. The combat is kind brawler-like? Fast attack, strong attack, dodge, and block are the basic controls, the rest is positioning yourself so multiple enemies don't gently caress you over. At the end of each little section there is a boss with some special attacks that take some specific counter. A norse raven trickster god that has lots of fast attacks but can be blocked if you time it right, a fire giant that can't be blocked but can be dodged, moments in their attack routines (that are well telegraphed) when you can use a special ability to make them take more damage, etc.

All that is kind of secondary though. The story is that you're a celtic woman voyaging into the Norse underworld to rescue the soul of your boyfriend who vikings killed as a sacrifice. The thing is that its' heavily implied all this might be in your head and you're suffering a psychotic break. Voices talk to you, react to what you're doing, mock you, make fun of you, etc. There's another person who's narrating what you're doing and I guess she's one of the voices too? Also a dead priest you talk to sometimes. So a lot of what you're seeing might be Senua's own mind loving with her.

You're also fighting what she calls 'the darkness' and I'm guessing that it is either linked to her mental illness or IS her mental illness. It gets pretty heavy but in a good way. If you die you've got this darkness-rot on your arm and it starts working its way up. Die too much and it reaches your head and its' game over. As in permanently. Start again. That said, it's not so punishing that I feel like I'm not going to be able to finish it out.

Oh, and the audio design is easily the best in any game I've played. The whispers in particular are out of this world. They recommend that you play with headphones and it's a suggestion I second heartily.

Story's really loving good and the way it weaves in with the combat and the puzzle aspects is just great. It's not a separate thing from the gameplay, it's a core part of the gameplay.

Really, really good.