Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I'm OldCaptainLog on Xbox Live. If you want to play sometime, please send me a message first. I get pretty constant randos trying to matchmake with me because my character in Destiny is hot pink and purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

My Switch is just an indie game console lately. Though I got the Dark Souls remaster which is fun to play in short spans.

Stardew Valley, and another indie game called Tiny Metal (just a spiritual successor to Advanced Wars) are my main time wasters on it.

I'll probably get Disgaea when it's on sale because gently caress Square for never making another Final Fantasy Tactics game.

I couldn’t get down with the controls, but maybe it was just me?

I would have loved that game when I was younger, but it’s too dreary for me now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

Controls on the switch in general are not the best. At least Stardew is a slow chill game so less than optimal controls dont change much. And the other games I mentioned are turn-based so

Points where points due I did beat Dark Souls on it without much hardship.

I have a Pro Controller, but all my attempts were just on the little Switch screen. I also got, then sold, Skyrim. It needed a big screen.

Don't get me wrong though, I loving love my Switch. I can only imagine how great it would be if you had multiple children.

I still need to finish the new Mario side scroller I haven't touched in a while.

My Switch was gifted to me back when I was really ill/untreated and it literally improved my life. Being stuck in hospitals can legit start to drive you nuts. I owe Achievement Hunter credit too. Their long running, hour long series were mana from Heaven. Even though I watch a lot less of that stuff now, I still try to watch them doing Seven Days, Hitman, Minecraft, and anything funny like My Summer Car.

Funhaus started to get really self loathing and sometimes over edited. I still love them, but I felt like their self hatred was contagious.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

ishikabibble posted:

Aviary Attorney is actually a real cute little game and it definitely has a lot more legs than the gimmick presentation lets on.

It's like the Hatoful Boyfriend of Ace Attorney games.

Gimmick?!?!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

chairface posted:

I know I'm years late to this party but I've been playing Breath of the Wild and that game has some hilarious moments. I'm standing on a mountain and looking at my map, planning my path to the next place I'm gonna go and being sure I've got visuals on landmarks shown on the map. Once I'm set up and ready to go, I get ready to start my hang-glide to where I'm going and a loving goat headbutts me in the ribs and I wind up rolling halfway down a mountain and nearly die.

I'm an absurdist at heart, so things like that prove to me that all is right in the universe.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Explaining crunch doesn't make it ethical. The quality of life for the average American worker is wretched.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You, uh, realize that you have to hire people, right? They can't just show up and say "I work here now, pay me." I mean I've heard some terrible arguments from you before but the idea that we have to make jobs terrible so that we don't have too many people doing that job is quite possibly the worst.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ramble about Crunch and Restaurant Work -

Servers in most states make 2.13 an hour plus tips. That rate hasn't gone up since the loving seventies. They do get taxed based on their claimed tips though and it's calculated as a percentage in most places. If you only have a 10% tip night because someone didn't think you filled their water fast enough, you were still going to be paying taxes like you got tipped 18-20%. If you have the manager override it too many times, you can get audited.

But, getting time and a half at 2.13 an hour is unacceptable. It's an open secret in the industry that managers will fudge your time sheet to never exceed 40 hours. Apparently, that's doing servers a favor, so they can continue to drop dead at fifty.

Also, have you ever noticed older servers and restaurant workers have bad teeth? Nobody has dental or the time/money to deal with problems. You just let your teeth fall out and stop smiling once you hit thirty.

Obamacare really improved life for a lot of these people. I remember one of my bartenders finding out he was diabetic after going to his first doctor's visit since he was eighteen. Dude was twenty-seven. His kidneys were starting to fail!

Whatever you want to call that - crunch, late stage capitalism, supply and demand - can absolutely blow me. The working poor in this country deserve more than being ground up by crunch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Isn't it grand that second hand weed can get picked up on a drug test months after the fact, but coke gets out of your system in 24-48 hours?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Don't most jobs have some level of tolerance for low level amounts of weed - especially in states where it's legal - for exactly this reason? You can't exactly get second hand heroin or meth in your system, but it's pretty easy to pick up THC as you just said.

I honestly don't know. All my professional years were in illegal states and to my knowledge, piss tests can track weed for up to two months depending on how your body processes fat. The reason restaurant workers NEVER go to the ER is to claim worker's comp, you have to pass a drug test. I've seen kitchen people get mangled and patch it up themselves.

I've never been a frequent weed man because -

- gently caress buying weed from gangsters or gangster adjacent people. That's the norm in illegal places. Somewhere, something shady is involved in the chain of weed purchasing.

- Weed makes me anxious. I don't need more of that.

But, when I hear about Amazon doing mouth swab tests, I'm aware they are looking for much more immediate use.

I think of it all as puritanical based class warfare moralist bullshit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm gonna disagree with you on the restaurant thing, based on personal experience. I've taken BOH folks to the ER for injuries - knowing the owners would take care of them, knowing their job was secure, and thinking only of their best interest. You're probably right most of the time, but it's not universal, and not everyone is an rear end in a top hat, I guess.

That’s likely an ownership thing - my high end spot was bought and owned by a real estate company in Florida. Big surprise that we got closed with no notice in 2008, even being profitable.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Please tell me there isn’t literal employees sleeping at work.

So many people live indentured servitude, but don’t notice because they can stream Netflix on their phone.

(Really it’s because fully recognizing the existentialist angst of spending 90% of your waking life doing busywork would cause a person to just blip out of existence on the spot.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bored As gently caress posted:

Some prisons are so understaffed that they have employees working mandatory double shifts (16 hrs) 3-5 times a week. It's easier for them to bunk at work than it is to go home. Rikers was like that, last I heard, except there's no place to bunk there, and it apparently takes 45 minutes just to get off the island to your vehicle. Factor in the commute, and you're looking at having maybe 4 or 5 hours at home between shifts.

God drat that's awful.

One of the worst high end restaurants I was at had me working five to six double expo shifts a week. But, they were "creative" in how they kept me out of overtime. During the middle of the day, I'd get a random break that could last one hour or three hours. Home was over a half hour away, more with traffic. I just started sleeping in my car.

This was the job I started two weeks after getting out of the ICU from my septic gallbladder thing. I started work there with 34 staples holding my stomach shut. Half a year later, I had a four day hospital stay from complications. When I came back to work, they told me they didn't need my position anymore. But, they still wanted me to work the same hours doing the same thing. Just with a three dollar an hour cut in pay because my title was going from "head expo" to "expo." Even though I was the only one. I quit on the spot.

If that loving awful place wasn't running on credit cards, I'd sure as gently caress got a lawyer. I've managed enough places to know how the FMLA act works.

Big surprise, they closed less than a year later.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 18, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bored As gently caress posted:

That loving blows. I don't know how you lasted there that long. gently caress that place.

More restaurant horror story derail ahead. If anyone else has work horror stories, hit us with them. Lord knows we have ALL had bad experiences at jobs.

At the restaurant, I was so hosed up from being recently septic and necrotic pancreatitus I was excusing myself constantly to puke. In Tennessee when I got out of the ICU, I was medically bankrupted and had no primary care doctor who would see me. I had zero prescriptions. Ibuprofen for pain. It was rough. When I got to Oregon, they found out I was riddled with blood clots and put me on Warfarin. My motor neuron diagnosis wasn't known yet, but they said it was a miracle I hadn't thrown a clot and stroked out.

But let's steer it towards a funny story from that experience with a warning, some nasty words are about to be used because they were said towards myself.

- One of the owners was an obnoxious, condescending, pretentious wine snob who treated everyone like poo poo. She expected her chicken sandwich done a certain way, with the correct condiments in the correct places, every day for lunch. I normally made her food and let out my OCD, so she never complained when I gave it to her.

She had lived in Germany for many years and spoke German. One day, I asked her if she would like me to make her a curry ketchup. Her response, in front of three people, was, "Logan, are you a retard? Are you literally retarded?! EVERYONE KNOWS I HATE KETCHUP!!! You are a RETARD!!! A dumb RETARD!!!"

Everyone's mouth was just hanging open. She normally wins those exchanges, but I quickly shot back without missing a beat, "Kleines Mädchen, ich habe keine Ahnung, wovon du sprichst. Es ist mir egal, was du sagst. Du bist ein einfacher. Kleines. Mädchen." (I had to use a translator to help me with typing the grammar, I always clip my endings in German.)

Translation - Little girl, I have no idea what you speak. I could care less what you say. You are a simple. Little. Girl."

She almost screamed in rage and stormed off. Later, the managers confronted her and made her apologize. It was apparently the only time the staff saw her apologize.

In that moment, all the years of stumbling through German became worth it. The moment you can harangue someone in a different language is a proud moment.

The restaurant industry, like many others, is riddled with abuse. Why? Because the bosses know you don't have any money and need the job.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Geez, what a horrible person. Curry ketchup is bomb

It really is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Holy hell, where was that?!

I don't have the link handy, but there was some study about clinical psychopaths in the workplace. I think "Chef" was third, only behind lawyers and stock brokers. I completely believe it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

priznat posted:

The JimSter has a pretty badass video on how hosed up game publishers are when it comes to marketing games (and loot box mechanics) to children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOhq6Gcv3s

It's loving savage and it rules

He has to be a goon. Dude is amazing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Division doesn't have options for dressing up in neon pink and purple.

I'll just keep doing Destiny 2 until that's fixed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

Div1 left me with such an empty and bitter feeling. That game was 100% my poo poo on paper but the execution was awful.

Bullet sponge enemies can gently caress right off.

Once I got to the endgame, I quit. The bullet sponge enemies were asinine and the inventory management system was headache inducing. It was genuinely difficult to figure out what was and wasn't equipped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just heard something interesting about CDPR and crunch. Apparently they are still having the crunch poo poo, but unlike pretty much everyone else in the industry they pay their salaried employees OT during it. Above a normal working week they're getting 1.5x whatever their effective hourly is for the evenings and 2x for weekends.

So. . . . still a heavy pre-launch work load, but the people doing it are at least being compensated. Actually paying people for the extra time seems like it would also be an incentive for them to not over-use it. If you're paying double time to get a thing out the door you're not going to want to do that much longer than absolutely necessary.

When I worked at Dell I was part of a class action suit after I got laid off (that was won!) about dicking people out of overtime. Dell had sales crunch. It wasn't that hard considered I've been in the restaurant industry, but it was a lot of extra time spent at your desk. In America a lot of those same laws exist, but like hell most people are going to actively band together and sue an employer they currently work for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Im pretty sure bow and arrow or the 22 hunting rifle are needed for better skins.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I haven't played RDR2 in a while, but doesn't the being the animal shoulder heart and lung shot work pretty well? Headshotting animals just sounds....weird.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If nothing else, I need to turn on RDR2 just to see what I named my three horses.

This is silly, but the loving outrageous load times are often what keep me from turning it on. Destiny 2 is bad enough about that. Redemption feels like it takes fifteen minutes to boot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Internet Wizard posted:

Big fan of my horses Plorp and Big Douglas

Plorp sounds like a Good Horse.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This video game article made me wonder how many lawsuits SA has caused. It seems like there should be some sort of barrier to entry on these types of things...like maybe not filling out a lawsuit in black sharpie.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-25-runescape-player-sued-jagex-for-muting-him-and-he-lost

“WHATEVER THE JURY SEES FIT”

Ah, yes. The well known and feared lawsuit jury.

The dude has apparently also sued Tinder.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Alaan posted:

Someone summon Leonard J Crabs.

Low barrier is probably not actually bad BUT if it's frivolous defense should be able to easily recover fees.

I reread the Crabs articles every few years because they're funny as gently caress.

I followed the whole thing about resident fat man Jim Sterling getting frivolously sued and I have pretty low faith in fees being "easily" recoupable.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Alaan posted:

Oh it's definitely a poo poo show now, even in clear SLAPP cases in most states. That was a big but there.

I know Jon Oliver has its problems, but the SLAPP suit episode was really good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've always been irritated, because my group of friends would get together in huge groups and just take turns trying to do funny stuff in GTA. You'd play until you died and everyone would be riffing on it all it once. This was pre-Youtube. We were basically doing Live Let's Plays and I wish I had the loving common sense to record it. poo poo was hysterical.

Other games got this treatment too. Especially Bushido Blade. (A lot of us did medieval sword competition stuff and I fenced. We talked a lot of trash about sword nerdin'.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

priznat posted:

Ugh god drat gently caress the Kenly college stuff in Div2 why do I try to grind through all that poo poo solo, it's ridiculous.

Do you have to fight "Elite Legendary Tenured Legendary Professors" running Fast Grenade Launcher Trigger'd Perk?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I cannot grasp Stadia existing when most of the country is on pretty slow internet. Well, gaming online slow.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Wandering without a waypoint can loving kill a game for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I still never finished the RDR2 story for reasons that bug me less now. I need to go wrap it up. RDR1 is probably my favorite game of the 360 era.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You know, I felt those issues with RDR2 too. Every mission just felt like a different variety of about three mission types. Not all games benefit from the survival game mechanics, god damnit.

I'll finish it, because RDR1 was one of the best games and stories I've ever played. I also like the characters in RDR2. But some of the stuff just feels slow and plodding as gently caress.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I hate that the story forces you to steal. I don't steal, God damnit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Arrath posted:

Similar, Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand grenades (the premier VR shooting range) has instilled in me a love of guns that have a bolt release and mag release.

Racking the bolt or yanking the mag is for suckers.

In short, AR platform supremacy. The usability of an AK sucks.

Also laser sights are OP.

God I'd love VR, even janky rear end hair brained VR, way too drat much.

I'd just spend all day puttering around in the ocean or space. If that's a thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Once VR becomes something I can do on an Xbox for a reasonable price, I'll jump in.

Unless my financial situation suddenly became very different, I don't think I'm ever going to get a PC and VR gear just to dick around.

I'm pretty surprised the Xbox doesn't have a good, decently priced, easy solution for VR yet. Lord knows it has the horsepower. I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shima Honnou posted:

Remember some years ago when the hot new meme was ending a video at a clear cliffhanger against a sepia overlay that says "To be continued" set to the intro of the hit song Roundabout by progressive metal band Yes? That was Jojo.

I'll be God damned. I thought that was a Rush song for all these years. That bass line is so loving Geddy Lee it hurts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That video makes me feel significantly less stupid.

I've told people, "Yeah, that's a Rush song. " for loving years.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nipponophile posted:

I could see mistaking the bass track, but the vocals sound absolutely nothing like Geddy. Dude has a distinctive voice.

You’re absolutely correct. I just kept hearing the clip in that meme with the bass, which is what I based my dumb rear end assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

5er posted:

I must solemnly contemplate disowning my oldest child.

He's embarked on playing the first Bioshock, courtesy of PS Plus giving all 3 of the games away for free. He encountered the first child, and asked me to explain to him what ADAM was, and what the big choice was about.

I advised him that ADAM was the resource to spend on upgrading abilities. That if you save a child, you get less resource, but you're a better person. But, if you are a real monster and choose to eat the children, you get more resource to spend, and it results in a more negative outcome at the game's end.

He immediately chose the 'eat children' path without hesitation.

I have concerns now.

Leave him alone with a goldfish. If both him and goldfish are there after five minutes, you're good.

I am absolutely incapable of doing bad things in video games. If I accidentally do something bad (it happens, I've had more than one instance of thinking I was shooting a deer in RDR2 and it being a person), I instantly reload the last save. I feel gross as gently caress if I do bad things in games with moral choices.

I'm still bothered the RDR2 story made me rob a loving house.