Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started Witcher 3 for the first time and so far have managed to completely ignore the advice of "don't feel like you have to explore every question mark."

But on the bright side I have a magic item steel sword, rare silver sword, full set of relic armor from a vendor that I had to use the level requirement adjustment potion to use, both bombs I had recipes for, all the oils I have recipes for, and all but one of the potions I have a recipe for (still need Cat). So I'm pretty well prepared for the Griffin, and then I'll head to Vizima.

Lawrence formerly of Funhaus has been playing through it on Death March which is what finally convinced me to buy it, but I'm not as hardcore as him so I am playing on Blood and Bones or whatever the second highest difficulty is.

There is a MASSIVE Witcher 3 thread in games that loves to hear stories from someone's first run through the game. There are a number of mods, of varying levels of usefulness that they can guide you on. There are, however, a couple places (including one in Vizima, coming shortly) that can gate you out of content depending on the choices you make. Go to that thread and ask if you'd like to know. If you want to go in completely blind, disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Witcher chat: I just had the barber scene and the general only asked about his troops, not the events of the past games. Did I screw myself out of content? When the game started I said no to simulating a save, I thought that was like importing a save or something which I don't have.

No, simulating a save is a way for you to go through an in-game Q&A process with a character if you don't have a Witcher 2 save. There is really only one dialogue choice that actually gates content there, and I'm not sure what happens to that content if you don't simulate a save. Even some quick looking doesn't tell me - if you have a manual save without going back too far, it may be worth loading that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In terms of actual gameplay, that's accurate. The other answers will change up dialogue and a couple cutscenes, but that's it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Action-Bastard posted:

I'd want to see a screenshot of what you saw, but the modern wooden pallet was invented in the 1920s shortly after the forklift was introduced.

Wooden skids are as old as civilization though.

It's amazing how much shipping, transportation, and logistics evolved in the 20th century and how much of an impact that's made on the world today. I remember reading a fantastic article on the invention of the shipping container and how it revolutionized global trade in the mid-20th century - I never even thought about forklifts and pallets.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

priznat posted:

Oh no...

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed til september (2020)

Ah well. Make a good game without grinding employees into a red paste is more important really.

https://www.destructoid.com/cyberpunk-2077-delayed-until-september-2020-578104.phtml

At least doom eternal is soon!!

CDPR does not have a good reputation for avoiding crunch. Whether this is them actually giving their employees a better environment to finish the game or not remains to be seen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's worth recognizing that "crunch" happens in numerous jobs, across numerous industries. I'd be willing to bet that most people here, if not all of us, have at one time or another put in more than 40 hours in a week (maybe well more than 40) beyond the regular 9-5. It's the normalization of 80 or 100 hour weeks without additional compensation for extended period (months or up to a year) that creates an abusive relationship between employer and employee.

Of course, in some industries it's just the norm and considered paying your dues. Ask anyone that goes into finance on Wall Street or gets their JD and goes to BigLaw. Doesn't make it any better, and hopefully change is on the horizon.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Whatever you want to call that - crunch, late stage capitalism, supply and demand - can absolutely blow me. The working poor in this country deserve more than being ground up by crunch.

Crunch and restaurant work are two different things entirely. Both are generally exploitative (crunch almost always is with the video game industry), but restaurant work in the US for the FOH suffers from a rather unique condition from tipping. It's proving much harder to eliminate than people would expect - take, for instance, Danny Meyer. Restaurateur from NYC, he decided to eliminate tipping from his restaurants and include gratuity as part of the cost of the meal. Pay went up to livable wages everywhere, cash payments were eliminated, credit card slips had no tip line, and he ran into a weird situation: roughly 40% of his FOH staff, particularly the ones who'd been with him for awhile all moved on. They wound up making less as a result. At the same time, many customers brought cash to leave a tip even though they were supposed to be refused. Even the customers wanted to tip, for whatever reason.

My point is, labor practices in the restaurant industry are particularly weird and difficult to discuss, more than most industries it has a lot of issues to unpack - first and foremost of which is a cultural issue that is now reflected in labor law (the $2.13/hr wage).

Edit: Don't take this to mean that things shouldn't change to improve the lives of both service industry folks and video game folks - any time labor's lot in life improves, that's a win. Just saying that the two situations aren't really comparable. And, generally speaking, FOH in restaurants are (or should be) compensated based on their work efforts which isn't entirely bad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zero surprise here. gently caress, they just delayed it 5 months - delay it another 3 months until December to reduce or eliminate crunch. Everyone is still going to buy the game.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Isn't it grand that second hand weed can get picked up on a drug test months after the fact, but coke gets out of your system in 24-48 hours?

Don't most jobs have some level of tolerance for low level amounts of weed - especially in states where it's legal - for exactly this reason? You can't exactly get second hand heroin or meth in your system, but it's pretty easy to pick up THC as you just said.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My favorite part about my lovely job is how it expressly forbids me from having another job in the field for which I have the most experience and demands an open schedule. Makes working a second job real loving hard!

It's OK though, because thanks to the power of the free market I can quit and get another retail job at a store that'll also not schedule me anything close to full-time hours and will forbid me from working at another store while demanding full availability and

Hang on, your employment contract forbids you from working another job in the same industry during your off hours? How on loving earth is this legal? Is it structured as a non-compete, or ???

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

5er posted:

It wouldn't be hard to put together a 'conflict of interest' justification in a situation like that. loving sucks that our species lacks the inherent moral predispositions to just do the right thing and pay a person what they're worth so they wouldn't have to moonlight.

Eh, right to work makes it easy to just fire someone for no reason - Nippon is correct about that. Generally speaking, non-compete type conflicts are notoriously easy to require, but far more difficult to enforce (and will bite employers in the rear end). That said, most employers also believe they'll never be sued so you run into truly stupid poo poo like Subway franchisees telling employees they can't work for another sandwich chain for 12 months after cessation of employment. Disgusting poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

I honestly don't know. All my professional years were in illegal states and to my knowledge, piss tests can track weed for up to two months depending on how your body processes fat. The reason restaurant workers NEVER go to the ER is to claim worker's comp, you have to pass a drug test. I've seen kitchen people get mangled and patch it up themselves.

I've never been a frequent weed man because -

- gently caress buying weed from gangsters or gangster adjacent people. That's the norm in illegal places. Somewhere, something shady is involved in the chain of weed purchasing.

- Weed makes me anxious. I don't need more of that.

But, when I hear about Amazon doing mouth swab tests, I'm aware they are looking for much more immediate use.

I think of it all as puritanical based class warfare moralist bullshit.

I'm gonna disagree with you on the restaurant thing, based on personal experience. I've taken BOH folks to the ER for injuries - knowing the owners would take care of them, knowing their job was secure, and thinking only of their best interest. You're probably right most of the time, but it's not universal, and not everyone is an rear end in a top hat, I guess.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gnoman posted:

"Right to work" is the "must allow non-union employees in a union shop" union-busting laws. The laws that allow you to fire people for any reason are "at-will employemnt".

Both need to go, but it is a good idea to know what you're shooting at.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but I'm shooting blanks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Blood and Wine had a more interesting setting and a lot more content, but HoS arguably had the better story.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If nothing else, CDPR never really described what multiplayer was going to look like. 2-4 person coop? 16 person with 4 man teams? Something else? It feels like they didn't really have a vision for it, almost the same way Bethesda didn't have a vision for Fallout 76.

That's not to say the game won't be great. I have no idea. But I'd rather wait another 2 years rather than get a half baked multiplayer format.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cyberpunk is open world FPS right? I'm half assuming it will be an online playground mode, akin to GTAO/RDRO.

Yeah, but it's based on a tabletop RPG, so it depends on how much they're coordinating with the creator of that on it. The immediate reaction might be "not at all!" since they didn't coordinate much with the author of the Witcher books, but I believe that was mostly the author's decision - he decided early on he didn't know anything about making games and decided to let CDPR do their own thing (without getting into the drama about money). If they're coordinating with the guy quite a bit, they might be trying to put together a tabletop-like experience. Or they could be working on more akin to like GTAO. It's all up in the air, literally the only things we know is that it will have some form of monetization in there (which means GTAO-like is likely) and that it's been described as

quote:

"the triple-A release we're working on in parallel with Cyberpunk 2077"

Hell, a huge part of the delay could be just making multiplayer work in their engine. That's not always an easy thing to do.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Action-Bastard posted:

That parallel development is widely believed to be another entry in the Witcher series.

Get excited.

What would it be? They've come out and said they're not making another game about Geralt. It would have to be either another character from the series, or a new story cut from whole cloth.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Personally I think it would be a mistake. I get the feeling too many people will complain about Witcher 4: Not Geralt. Plus they'd be sort of pigeonholing themselves as "That studio that does Witcher games and, oh yeah, made Cyberpunk that one time"

At the end of the day though, they have to do what they think will be the most profitable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sounds like a better version of the newer Tomb Raiders.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah the Nvidia vs. Google cloud gaming situation is basically going to come down to how much money Google is willing to throw at it. Nvidia already has relationships with every major game developer/publisher, which counts for a lot when you're talking about compatibility and optimizing for cloud performance. They also manufacture the most expensive piece of hardware required to make this work, so they have (probably) the lowest cost basis for building out and definitely the in house skills to make it work.

Given Google's history of abandoning projects when they aren't immediately successful, I'd be buying into Nvidia right now given everything we know.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

5er posted:

You absolutely made my day. Thank you!

Have fun with this, Two Point Hospital was an absolute blast.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

5er posted:

I keep hearing that; and between the pine tree motifs and the few screenshots I've seen, am I right at all to think 'Two Points' is a 'Twin Peaks' reference? Either way I am excited to get to it, once my current MH:W binge (and homework-heavy classes) is over.

I never thought about that, but very possibly. The game itself is a direct reimagining of an old 90s Bullfrog game called Theme Hospital, just much better done.

skooma512 posted:

Some things about are a little annoying like how I don't even get a minute to start building the hospital before dipshits show up wanting care.

But other than that it's pretty solid.

I always pause for a solid 5 minutes at the beginning to see what I have and what I'm missing, and then build/destroy and hire/fire as needed. There are ways to cheese the gameplay if you want, but that kind of ruins the fun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

Words about Wolf:Youngblood

A few things worth noting about the game:

The level design is almost entirely by Arkane, and it shows. The ones I played were all done extremely well, that's something that Arkane is good at. It's the same studio that made the Dishonored series.

The have absolutely softened the enemies up. I played it awhile ago and it was basically required to use a specific ammo type to kill a given enemy. Apparently it was worse before I played it, but you're probably on the second (or more) patch to even things out on that regard. Even when I played, there were times when I ran out of one type of ammo and flat out had to retreat because I simply couldn't kill the enemies I was looking at.

You're completely correct about the characters in this game - they weren't given the same attention to detail. I'd disagree with you on how well they accomplished the same attempt in the second Wolf game, but generally it had more thought put into it. The dialogue in this one felt more like Duke Nukem than Wolfenstein at times.

Edit: I only played coop and the lag problems I had were significant. That's anecdotal, I have no idea if it was just my experience, but AI would have been better at times.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fearless posted:

Picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance the other day. Kinda looking forward to an historical RP without dragons and magic and the like.

For anyone else thinking about getting this game, hold off for a few days. If you're OK with the Epic launcher it will be free on the 13th.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jehde posted:

These maps hurt to look at. I'm fine with alt-history maps of all sorts, but when it's just cutting and pasting geography I know should be together, all in a jumble, it pains me.

So I shouldn't post this then?

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1227594895747141632

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Once VR becomes something I can do on an Xbox for a reasonable price, I'll jump in.

Unless my financial situation suddenly became very different, I don't think I'm ever going to get a PC and VR gear just to dick around.

I'm pretty surprised the Xbox doesn't have a good, decently priced, easy solution for VR yet. Lord knows it has the horsepower. I think.

The current Xbox probably doesn't. VR can be taxing even for very high end PCs, which are far more powerful than any current console. And having just looked, the head of Xbox at MS has already ruled out VR for the next gen Xbox claiming lack of demand. And he's probably right - the demand is there, but the prices are still too high for most people to buy in. Most console players expect that their one big ticket purchase will be the console itself, and everything after that is just games - tacking on another major purchase for what is currently a rather niche experience would go over great with a small subset of users, but most would forego it and it creates a ton of work for MS and any developer that tries to make or adapt their games for it.

mllaneza posted:

All it took was putting the new video card I bought in a new workstation. This, of course, is the end result of a lot of frustration. But on the plus side, the new workstation came out of the recycle pile at work[1]. How a dual 6-core 2.66 E5 Xeon with 64 GB RAM ended up there is anyone's guest, but me and my shiny new RTX 2060 (6GB) aren't asking. So it's working on the new rig...

That's a hell of a grab.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I dated someone with BPD off and on for a few years. That was an experience.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's from Blackbird Interactive, who made the last Homeworld game and is also working on Homeworld 3. Interesting to see a company currently known for RTSes taking on something completely new.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oddly enough I would kinda love a glorified space equities trading game. Give me a space station to squat on and send out ships to buy and sell poo poo. Just send out my freighters to buy Space Wheat here, sell it over there, and pick up a load of Space Whale Steaks to move on. What's this? If I tell them to run that blockade with the Whale Steaks I might lose the ship, but the pirates REALLY want some meat and they sell Space Heroin which I can then unload for just crazy profits?

Now that I think about it, once I got a basic space station set up in X3 that's basically what I did. Only with a bit of piracy on the side when I felt like going pew pew.

Offworld Trading Company

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

right click . . . add to wishlist.

I haven't seen it on a good sale yet, but it's on mine as well. It has both co op and pvp, so maybe we can get a group to try it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Google is probably paying enough more that it's easy to jump ship.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Here's my idea for a mod:

Stardew Valley but you're homeless/broke living in a defunct city.

Dungeons replaced with urban exploring.

Mining replaced by metal scav-ing ( cans, copper wire, etc ).

Shima I feel you are qualified to offer input for this endeavor

So basically Stardew Valley: Fallout Edition?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

right click . . . add to wishlist.

If you're OK with the EGS, this (Offworld Trading Company) is one of the free games coming up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Memento posted:

Is there an upcoming list for these?

Nothing complete/long term, but both the launcher and various websites will usually list the next couple weeks to a month. First hit on Google:

https://progameguides.com/lists/epic-games-store-free-games-list/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's multiplayer, maybe we can get a round going here in TFR.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, I had a blast with 2P Hospital. It suffers from the same issue that a lot of management sims do, but I got my money's worth, and it's certainly worth an Xbox pass to try it out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

5er posted:

Tips then? I played for a couple hours this week and I'm really enjoying it, but I'd love to hear a few tips at this point to possibly avoid a little frustration in the future.

Use specialists. Train extensively. Jack of all trades employees works for janitors and assistants, not for doctors and nurses - you want them on either a diagnostic track or a healing track.

Staff happiness is far more important than it appears on the surface. Use staff lounges or whatever in every building, get them to level 5.

Group up diagnostic rooms in one building, close to your GP offices, and treatment rooms in another. Upgrade machines as much as possible - like staff training, upgrades are important.

Pay attention to the hospital goals. In the base game, most hospitals have pretty straightforward goals, but a few do not - pay attention to what gets you money, and what gets you stars.

GP offices are your bottleneck. The way it's designed, your patients go to the GP after every diagnostic test. The better your GP docs, the better the diagnosis gets, the fewer visits, the more you eliminate the bottleneck. 2 policies you'll want to change for every hospital (under $ -> Overview -> Policy or something like that, lower left menus) are to set the diagnosis threshold to 90% or something, and to fast track the diagnostic decision. This bypasses the last GP office visit for every patient. This is the biggest tip I can give - the right way to think about this is throughput, rather than cures. Your treatment rooms only get used once per patient, low skill GPs might be visiting 5 times or more.

And as always, this is a management sim which means there are ways to min/max it and cheese the systems. I won't go into detail on that unless you want me to, or you can look it up. The "pack every room with diplomas" is one example of this, it raises a room's prestige, but there are other examples. And FWIW, I think the Gold Star Award is the most efficient at doing that in terms of cost/impact on prestige/space taken.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

priznat posted:

I noticed in my short time playing 2PH that nurses would just gently caress off from where I dropped them and go off and do whatever. No, stay in the goddamn pharmacy you gently caress!!

You can assign staff to specific tasks - i.e. make sure all your GP trained docs are only working the GP office (and this is why differentiating specializations between treatment and diagnosis is important). There are some unique skills that only apply to certain rooms, but some of these are traps. Ward, Surgery, Research (use like GPs - have docs only doing research and nothing else), X-Ray, [other scan thing I can't remember] are all useful. Pharmacy and the other nurse only one, I think injections? are sort of a trap. You're better off just going straight treatment, by the time you get them trained up, they will be just marginally better at those two, but they'll be demonstrably worse at all the other treatment rooms.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

poo poo I was going to buy that recently, it was on a deep sale. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Dang, that looks pretty neat, and the story seems pretty okay too without veering too hard into Orientalism. I'm also delighted to see the cast (as announced so far) is predominantly Asian actors, too, which Sekiro can't claim (because of course this is something I think about; another game that made happy in this respect was Sleeping Dogs).

Wish there were an announcement for a PC port though Pretty sure my earlier-gen PS4 non-Pro won't render this game nearly as beautifully as seen in the trailer there

The developer is wholly owned by Sony. A PC port is unlikely.