Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Regarding games and guns, the Resident Evil 2 remake is all I've been playing lately and it's partially a love letter to a very "mundane" treatment of firearms common to the 1990s United States. It reminds how much I regret missing those beautiful surplus Wingmasters last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smiling Jack posted:

I just found out homeworld remastered exists so thats cool

You know they did a great job with the remaster when you fire it up and say "nah, this is pretty much what Homeworld always looked like." Love that game: the premise, the music, the audio barks, all of it.

I swear it's an unexplored branch of the genre, the rouge-like rts, where your army fleet is a persistent, enduring thing you take with you across the campaign.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Actually what this means is six more months of crunch and you are all condemning these workers to it.

Looking forward to a follow up article to their promise to not crunch the life out of people like they did for Witcher 3

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Welp, they crunchin'

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I wanted to like the Division 2 but it turns I had to play the sequel in order to understand how much I valued both the snowy new york setting of the original and it's framework as a being a city in crisis compared to the sequel's post apocalypse.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

Has anyone played apex legends lately? Wondering how the skill based matchmaking is working out, if I could get matched with more average or below avg players like myself it would be a lot more fun.

Game is really great I just feel too stressed trying to be competitive.

I turned it on, saw that there was a new map, and turned it off again. I'm not going to dip my toes back into a BR for an evening of there's an entirely new, and mandatory, map.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

No, Ghost Recon Breakpoint is good. Like, Division 1 good. It was a real surprise for me when I found out it was nearly universally panned.

This journalist feels the same way about it, so I'll let him make the case.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne8qwq/ghost-recon-breakpoint-review

Rob Zacny posted:

I look at Breakpoint and I see a lot of pieces from some games I love, and others from games and series that I increasingly can’t stand. What sets Breakpoint apart, though, is that it remains more interested in stealth than those other games, and therefore more interested in vulnerability.

Recent Assassin’s Creed games may still allow for great sequences of sneaking around inside enemy bases, but ultimately Kassandra or Bayek didn’t need to care if they were caught. Detection turned Origins and Odyssey from stealth games into brawlers. The Division series is entirely about a team of well-trained, well-dressed soldiers mowing down hordes of weak enemies who don’t stand a chance. Far Cry, meanwhile, wants you to run-and-gun your way into that enemy base, set that wolf loose, and start a fire while you’re there.

Breakpoint presents you with a balance: You have awesome tools of destruction at your disposal, but wielding them makes you easy to spot, and your character is weak enough that concealment is their only true security.

And it's like, Division 1 and Breakpoint aren't great games, but they're good games that got the full AAA treatment. Division 1 may not be STALKER or Control, but drat if they didn't make a thousand artists' crunch to produce that beautifully detailed and ever changing home base that was a delight to watch progress.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 24, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Akion posted:

Was Wildlands 2 any good?

Yes!

I played a few hours of Wildlands 1 as a co-op game, and I really think Wildlands 2 would be at least as good at that if not better; the gameplay wouldn't be much different/worse and I think the setting would be better.

Personally where I think Wildlands 2 (which they re-branded as Ghost Recon: BreakPoint) becomes secretly one of the better game of 2019 is if you play it Solo, with the UI toned down. Regardless either way you play it's absolutely a good game.

One comparison I'd make is that I think more people who liked Ghost Recon: Wildlands would like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint than people who liked The Division liking The Division 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Breakpoint does a good job of flipping the script and giving the enemies the technology, especially air surveillance. I can remember really hating the open plains of certain regions because where the hell am I going to hide if a drone comes over head.

I was sorry to hear Aikon didn't like it, I think it's a great solo stealth shooter. I also think the movement animations are some of the most detailed I've seen, like when you're watching your character's stride change as they pass through a body of water.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 1, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

5er posted:

Shiiit next time somebody has a key for Two Points Hospital to throw away, think of me

I was going to give you my key right now, but the humble web site isn't cooperating with my phone. But if I don't forget, I got you.

Edit: Got home and did it on my PC; PM'd you the code.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 4, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

With Doom Eternal on the horizon I've returned to the original, a game I never loved. But a universally beloved shooter can't be that wrong and, sure enough, it wasn't the game, it was me.

I think my my initial playthrough was spoiled by two things: insisting to myself that I enjoy shooters most on hard, and being bothered by this game redefining what a DOOM game was.

Regarding the first point, I do prefer shooters hard enough to require a complete engagement with the mechanics, but that first play through I was banging my head against a brick wall; sure it was satisfying to dance on a knife's edge, but I was repeating the later fights 3+ times. I decided to quit when I realized that sometimes I was just hoping I'd get lucky, which is the opposite of why I'd chosen that difficulty in the first place.

The second point is that the original Doom had as much to do with slow, deliberate, survival horror shooters like Resident Evil as arena shooters like Painkiller or Serious Sam. Sure, in Doom you would have to run and gun, but that tended to happen when the situation demanded it, when things were out of control; you spent just as much time exploring darkened corridors, trying to ration out a handful of shotgun shells. However, with a year or two passed, and with the excellent RE:2 remake, I'm ok with this now; this Doom is an arena shooter, and its great.

I'm having a blast in this new playthrough, but I need to adjust the difficulty up just a bit, because I think I've overcorrected from "The Sekiro of shooters" to "I'm never threatened and getting a bit bored".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hunt: Showdown is so good, the setting is just perfect, but I'm personally waiting for the PvE mode. I'll play a few rounds every couple of weeks but competitive shooters aren't my bag anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Capn Beeb posted:

A PvE mode is coming?

It's in their long term plans but there's no release date, so I'm "waiting" in the sense that I'm not playing the game, not in the sense that I'm looking at a calendar. (Come onnnnnn September).

Edit: In Jan they said it would be out this year:

https://www.pcgamer.com/hunt-showdown-is-getting-a-solo-pve-mode/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Does RDR2 have options for limiting the HUD/UI? I like to play these games with as little guidance or assistance as possible, even if it means I never really finish them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

As someone who always loved Swat Catz and UN Squadron but never really understood the finer details of aerial combat, I've always had my eye on this series. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna try it out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/dinopoloclub/status/1240382330767699969

Some good folks making their games free for those long quarantine days.

Does this not include Google Play, I'm showing it as .99 there? I mean, not much, but I was excited to pester my mom, who likes tetris, about a great free game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I heard to learn how to like doom 2016 specifically because it feels a lot more like quake than doom, so I feel you.

But, as I posted about earlier in this thread, it really is a great game taken on it's own. Eternal isn't my most anticipated GOTY, but it'll be good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Any reason why you skipped the presequel? I loved the first 3 games and the pre sequel really set a new standard for your PCs; there's a lot more back and forth chatter in the quest dialog that made you seem like less of a blank slate protagonist.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Maybe:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hey, is there a TFR discord? I know people here play a lot of the same games as me, and I'd like to get in on that every once and a while. Checked the OP and looked at the front page, maybe I'm missing it?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ok I'm going to come clean I'm scared the forums will shut down so I'm trying to hunt down discords for TFR and AI/CA.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I mean, yeah, but it also put it on my mind.

For actual content, I've been so happy to see other people enjoying breakpoint after the patches, also makes me think I should give Division 2 another try, now that Division 1 isn't as damningly fresh in my mind.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Regarding browser based games, surviv.io is more fun than it has any right to be, and unlike PUBG I have a decent chance of scoring a chicken dinner.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Just got Div2, liking it much better now that I have some distance from the first game.

Sooo...who else pretends that their character found their magic watch on a dead agent and took up the do-gooding mantle from the ISAAC ai, side stepping at least some authoritarian themes?

I mean, the division explicitly is the final fail safe so I like to think that, if you find a dead agent, the ai might see if maybe you could help people, find food, protect the innocent, etc. And the whole organization is so decentralized and flat that, if the ai shrugs and covers for you, who would know?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Div 1's survival mode supports co-op and is high on my list of "why didn't I play that more".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

There we go. That'll fix one of the more pesky issues with Bannerlord.

God bless you for helping improve the game by playing early, but are you really modding a game that gets daily patches??

I look forward to playing the game in six months, but godspeed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Except for multiple publishers (who have their own streaming planned) withdrawing their games. That you already paid for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeah I was incredulous when I heard people were modding it.

PC gamer has one article pointing out that it was patched evey day since release and then another with a list of recommended mods and it's like , shine on you early adopters, but Ubisoft has quietly become my favorite dev so I've got like three great games on backlog already.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

5er posted:

FF7R combat is so bad. If any of you folks are getting closer to the fence about this, back away. Every side-mission mini-boss fight lately has this routine:

1. Start encounter.
2. Thing(s) you have to kill constantly chain-spew a status effect ad nauseum.
3. Run away from fight (or quit the loving game and delete it).
4. Go find the thing that nulls the problem status effect.
5. Go back into the fight and have a tedious, longer-than-usual fight for whatever palette-swap variant this is.

I can't believe people are cheering for this like they want or enjoy it.

I'm not exactly a fan of the combat but I'm enjoying the game enough to forgive it.

But I much prefer the few times cloud has to go alone, because then the dodges and the counters all feel better tuned and it starts to feel like a mediocre action game (an improvement).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

5er posted:

They're tuned for poo poo. Dodge should cancel basic attacks, but it doesn't. Block should cancel basic attacks, but it doesn't. You're committed to every basic attack you do until the animation is over. And the AI reads input. FF7R combat is garbo.

Yeah, this is my first time playing what is apparently Kingdom Heart's gameplay style, and I'm not a fan. I'm not as down on it as you are but if they'd just made either a traditional RPG of some kind or a bog standard action game with a layering of stat progression, either would have been better than this strange thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

My biggest complaint is that they've apparently founded their entire gameplay method on

1) hammering the dpad
2) watching your camera whiplash itself to whatever stupid position the AI put your next teammate
3) figuring out who to attack for the next 5 seconds to fill you ATB before doing it all again.

Once you've filled up everyone's ATB once or twice, then you can issue the necessary ATB commands which is where the actual meat of the gameplay is. So...just like FF7 but with bad busywork??

Edit: and no you can't just go play on classic because classic is hard coded to easy so it doesn't improve the gameplay so much as...remove it.

Edit2: and what's hosed up is you can imagine a version of this where the basic meleeing is fun, and it would both beautifully mirror the original game (basic attack trash fights, carefully think about bods battles), and keep trash fights from being boring. But instead, it's trash fights are boring, boss fights are frustrating.

But again, everything else is so good I'm still eager to play more.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 13, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Man, the TF2 Soldier was my favorite voice actor out of a stand out cast, goddamnit.

Posted with because it was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlLQ3LmZWU#t=850s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Are you guys talking about games journalism? Right on, this is absolutely a conversation I can't have with my friends so thank god. I'm sorry to hear that about Kotaku, I'd go there every once in a while if google took me there.

Way Point is by far my favorite games journalism source.

None of my IRL friends give a poo poo about "games journalism", they trot out stupid lines like "games journalists are all bad at games" and "none of them know what's good", and then go on to say they'll always just hear about new games by word of mouth but then I'm the one telling them about new poo poo because I read news sites. Like, sure, forums and junk can tell you a lot, but they can be self limiting if you only check in on certain genres.

Anyway, I still read PC Gamer and enjoy, but my number one recommendation is Way Point, who have both a news site and an excellent pod cast which is a politically aware leftist podcast. I didn't know I needed leftist gaming podcast; I just got here from another podcast that has some cast overlap, the also great 3 moves ahead strategy gaming podcast, but now I couldn't go back.

Like, they put out a more gaming-focused episode on Monday, and then a more general episode on Friday which can cover anything they wanna talk about; the movie Uncut Gems, the politics of Basketball, something some politician said or did that made them made, whatever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeah, Gita's been great, they really needed a woman after Danielle and Natalie left. And I feel you on the, as they put it "five star run time"; you'd need about four hours a week to get through both episodes. Though they do have good articles up on their site, including transcript highlights from the podcast.

Btw, right now I'm listening to them talk about Horizon's Gate, sounds like a cross between Mount and Blade and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 17, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

Jim Sterling is someone with whom I generally agree when I've seen any of his material, but holy hell are his videos grating. It's like he edits his content to make it as obnoxious and irritating as possible.

Same, I hear good things about him, and believe them, but I tried a video of his, years ago, and gave up a minute in. Maybe I should revisit him.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Akion posted:

Sieged my first city in Bannerlord last night. I save scummed a bit to learn the lesson of "Build your towers and ram first in case an enemy army comes to gently caress with you" but eventually got it.

Then the fuckers in my empire voted to give it to someone else. Thanks guys!

On the upside, I was randomly given a castle earlier in the game that I had no part in capturing.

How would you say it compares to the first games sieges? Is the AI noticeably different?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fallout:76 increases its rise in quality and had now reached "buy it cheap, if you want to".

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-finally-feels-like-a-fallout-game/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Until/unless Overwatch gets rid of rank based match making, TF2 will always have that over it. Beat my head against overwatch for a long time without ever enjoying myself as much as TF2.

Still, sucks about the code, article suggests it might be all source games, including Gary's mod, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Me, once every four years but only for a week: why the HELL didn't I buy a power supply/ram/hd tester. I'll definitely get one once I get this drat thing running...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

When I built my last PC, I had to correct both what slots the ram went into and which of those tiny single pins for the mobo to use. Sorry, that sucks. Seriousl Hardware/Software might be able to help in their PC building megathread.