Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I just started Witcher 3 for the first time and so far have managed to completely ignore the advice of "don't feel like you have to explore every question mark."

But on the bright side I have a magic item steel sword, rare silver sword, full set of relic armor from a vendor that I had to use the level requirement adjustment potion to use, both bombs I had recipes for, all the oils I have recipes for, and all but one of the potions I have a recipe for (still need Cat). So I'm pretty well prepared for the Griffin, and then I'll head to Vizima.

Lawrence formerly of Funhaus has been playing through it on Death March which is what finally convinced me to buy it, but I'm not as hardcore as him so I am playing on Blood and Bones or whatever the second highest difficulty is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I find it very funny that Warframe successfully added player-crewed ships with the ability to exit/enter ships and space stations and fly around solo before Star Citizen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is a MASSIVE Witcher 3 thread in games that loves to hear stories from someone's first run through the game. There are a number of mods, of varying levels of usefulness that they can guide you on. There are, however, a couple places (including one in Vizima, coming shortly) that can gate you out of content depending on the choices you make. Go to that thread and ask if you'd like to know. If you want to go in completely blind, disregard.

I'll look for it, I didn't see it earlier.

I'd like to avoid being gated out of content / making choices that I really regret if possible, even if that's somewhat against the point of the game. For example, I didn't do the arsonist quest because I didn't like how I saw it end on stream.

I am also going to have to force myself to stop running everywhere that's not halfway across the map so I can pick flowers constantly, they aren't worth jack poo poo and aside from a few rare versions I can get enough to make whatever potion I need in like 2 minutes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, I heard what happens if you try to romance both of them and while I find it hilarious, I think that's the kind of thing I would look up (in incognito mode because it's The Witcher and might have actual nudity) rather than actually doing.

I'm predisposed towards picking Yen from Beeb talking about how terrible of a person Triss is, but I'll do a bit more research into the backstory first.

Also because the intro dream was remarkably compelling in terms of giving Geralt a goal in life other than killing monsters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Witcher chat: I just had the barber scene and the general only asked about his troops, not the events of the past games. Did I screw myself out of content? When the game started I said no to simulating a save, I thought that was like importing a save or something which I don't have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Mortabis posted:

Supply and demand. It's an emergent thing, not a conscious decision by any one organization. People will take huge pay cuts, and huge cuts in working conditions, in order to work in any kind of "fun" or prestigious job whether that's video games, academia, music, theater, film, journalism, or politics. Hell probably anything guns-adjacent too. If you want to make money you have to either do something nobody else can do, or do something nobody else wants to do.

From the 30,000 foot view, we don't want everyone to be a game developer. We only need so many. How do you convince people not to do those jobs without making the job crappier?

You, uh, realize that you have to hire people, right? They can't just show up and say "I work here now, pay me." I mean I've heard some terrible arguments from you before but the idea that we have to make jobs terrible so that we don't have too many people doing that job is quite possibly the worst.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Smiling Jack posted:

The NYC department of corrections had more employees than inmates and still manages to be a total dumpster fire.

The federal prisons in NYC are run by a separate department, and are also a complete wreck, they can't even managed to keep the fuckin heat on.

Not a bug, feature, etc.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Action-Bastard posted:

So I just tried taking the wild Arabian up north.

Went well enough but when I first mounted it went wild and jumped off the nearby cliff killing itself and nearly killing me

loving horses man.

Alas, poor Alnamash, thought of Action-Bastard and died.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

That guy also tried to sue because he was rejected from the Marines due to being on probation for drug dealing. Prior to the drug dealing conviction he was in law school.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I haven't played it in like a year and a half. I'd like to try it again but I'm worried so much has changed it will be like I'm brand new again.

Is it possible to kill the water devil's with dynamite or are they just a permanent"gently caress off out of this water"?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

The thing about PvP when I played Hunt was that it's pretty slow-paced. You pretty much can't get one-shot without headshots, bullet velocity means that headshots are pretty much impossible on a moving target, and when I was playing there were literally two semi or full auto weapons in the whole game, so you had time to duck into cover and heal unless someone completely outplayed you. So it was a lot more about positioning and outplaying someone than twitch shooting skills. It helped that I started after they gave level 1 characters maximum health and buffed the starting Winchester so it was competitive, apparently in the first half of 2018 the Winchester was absolutely useless.

I also loved how much of the game was about balancing stealth with speed, the amount of audio cues in the game was pretty much unparalleled.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

A big part of Hunt is figuring out where enemies are relative to you, keeping count of the dead players you find (maximum of 10 people in a game) and it's difficult to keep up with someone you've spotted without giving yourself away. Every surface you walk on makes a sound unless you're moving at the slowest possible pace, there's broken glass and chains everywhere that make noise when you go through them, and there's crows on the ground that, if you get too close to them, will caw and fly up into the air, which is basically like sending up a flare saying "player here." There's the potential for false alarms because random zombies can wander through hanging chains and broken glass as well, but overall I would say that it's pretty easy to avoid getting ambushed if you keep good situational awareness and keep quiet. That's part of why it's important to get good with melee. A dying zombie makes noise, but not nearly as much as even a silenced gunshot. And at least when I played, if you learned the patterns you could take out anything but the bosses and bee-ladies with melee without getting hit. Doing that with the tougher enemies was still risky because alerted enemies make a lot of noise, but still, less than shooting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I played Div 1 a little bit on a free weekend and it was kind of underwhelming. I remember there was a boss that was pretty much just "hide in one spot, magdump, take cover again to heal and reload, repeat like 5 times." Is that pretty standard?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of me not wanting to https://twitter.com/Karmaa_itself/status/1225809565125685249?s=20

All in all I didn't really care about the main story of The Division, but all the side plot / background stuff / storytelling through scenery was really good. If they actually bring back Survival for that NYC thing they're doing I might actually buy it.

Gotta download the drat game eventually.

That tweet is everyone's favorite two things in media, sax and violence.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Guillermus posted:

You forgot the third, a JoJo theme.

Did that get a recent adaptation or something? I remember hearing about the manga like 15 years ago but now everyone is talking about it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

boxen posted:

Did you know that a person can't be diagnosed a sociopath until they're 18? More or less because all children are sociopaths.

(I'm not a psychologist, I just think it's funny to think about that).

Also, I think that at least for the first game, you don't come out ahead on ADAM that much, and the good path also gives you some bonus powers or something along those lines.

I once said that children were learning how to be people to a psychologist and he really liked the way that I put it, that must be why.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

"Daddy, why did he want them to tie his hands up?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

If someone sees another discount on Doom Eternal preorder, post it in here. I'm definitely buying it either way so if I can get $10-15 off so much the better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Exit Strategy posted:

I dislike the game telling me that it has a moral scale, especially when things like "dispose of UXO" and "deny cannibals access to their favorite food source" are seen as negative actions by the game. I'm looking at you, Fallout 3.

I appreciate Witcher 3's path of making moral choices have consequences but not necessarily spelling out what they think was the right decision, just that other people in the game world react accordingly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Capn Beeb posted:

Those nail gun guys can get hosed, although I did dunk on one pretty hard with my firestarter sawed off loaded with explosive buckshot and that was funny

Some not Doom news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jDIftu97s

fuckin finally a release date

Well that looks cool, and also I just learned more about the Mongol empire's attempts to invade Japan. I didn't realize how much actually happened, for some reason I thought they got hit by the typhoon on the way there before any fighting happened, and I didn't realize the typhoon was on a second invasion attempt.

Also lol that apparently Japan actually was all-in on "1v1 me noob" as how wars were fought. I guess that's what happens when you are in such an isolated culture.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Shima Honnou posted:

There is definitely one issue with it, which is it does that thing I hated about the first where it gives you less ammo than I could hold in one of my IRL hands probably. Except now also without the lovely infinite ammo pistol as a backup I guess lol I died from no ammo and no chainsaw fuel to get more

I'm only on the first level after you get back to your kickin' bachelor pad, but I've found that to rarely be an issue as long as I'm using the chainsaw on a fodder enemy fairly often. It regenerates to enough to kill an imp or soldier automatically, so while I'm hopping around like a madman trying to take out the weak points on the big guys I'll driveby chainsaw somebody and keep moving. I'd think it would be even less of an issue once you're further into the game with more weapon options and some ammo upgrades.

One other thing I've found is that unless you've got the automatic fire mod attached (which I only really use for arachnotrons at this point) your shotgun isn't actually a shotgun. It's a grenade launcher with a .410 attached for some reason.

So far I've died a total of once, although by that point I already had three extra lives so I'm not sure how you count that in a game that has both extra lives and checkpoints. Playing on Ultraviolence, which is a step up from usually playing on Hurt Me Plenty. It's funny people say this is harder than Doom 4, up to this point it doesn't really feel like it but maybe that's because the early part of Doom 2016 was definitely the hardest since your weapons were poo poo for the first 2-3 levels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, I could definitely see that happening early game if you weren't using the grenade launcher mod, you've got 16 rounds tops, chainsawing gives back 10, and they do jack poo poo for damage. The autoshotgun will rip (and tear) apart an arachnotron pretty quick after you knock off its cannon, but you're definitely going to be out of ammo if you haven't upgraded your ammo yet. I almost never used the grenade launcher in Doom 2016 but it's my mainstay in this game (the shotgun one, not the shoulder-mounted one).

I just finished the second set of missions before deciding I probably need to go to bed, and near the end I almost ran out of ammo a couple times because I was bouncing around so fast trying to get my health and armor back that I wasn't stopping to chainsaw anyone. I feel like in order to be good at the game you have to figure out enemy prioritization not just in the sense of little guys/medium guys/big guys but in the sense of what enemies to leave alive to get health/armor/ammo from when you need it versus which ones will cause you trouble if you don't kill them now.

About 2 hours into the game you're going to have two grenade types, a flamethrower, a charged up melee attack that fills up every time you get two glory kills, and three ammo types, so you're much less likely to be in a place where you have absolutely nothing left.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 20, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Arrath posted:

Most enemies I can deal with, but gently caress snakey bois.

The only good solution I've found for them is ice grenade and then rocket launcher. Apparently the homing rocket launcher is also pretty good since it lands enough rockets to one-shot and they have a hard time dodging it, but I got the remote detonation first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Dip Viscous posted:

Current Doom = Quake II but horror-comedy and doot skeleton memes

Also less (no?) hitscan enemies, which was the big problem with Quake 2.

I just unlocked the burst rocket a bit ago and it absolutely deletes every heavy enemy at this point. Maybe it won't do that to barons, but I no longer have to give a gently caress about hell knights or mancubi. It uses a lot of ammo and has no splash, but chainsaw means that's not a big deal and when you're firing at a heavy you're not going for splash damage anyway. It also means that if you end up letting it go five feet away from your face you don't take off half your health.

Super shotgun is pretty great for imps if you can time it right. Meathook then swing around behind them in slomo and put both barrels into their unprotected rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I was watching someone playing earlier and within 5 minutes of getting a gun his viewers convinced him to try. And no, you cannot. You can repeatedly cycle the slide and empty your gun, not sure of you can reload magazines from the rounds that fall out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Wait until there's a VR tank sim with replica controls.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Shima Honnou posted:

Can I remove the Ballista from my inventory so I stop hitting the Bad Gun button when I want either of the Good Gun buttons next to it?

The ballista seems to be part of the better damage rotations for when you need to say "gently caress that big guy right there" in less than two seconds. Something like meathook/blood punch/ssg/ballista/ssg or something like that, I forget exactly. I'm not MLG pro and have no mods for the ballista so I barely use it, but once I get a mod for it, that might change. I know the Gauss Gun got extremely good with mods in 2016.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

5er posted:

Holy poo poo this was funny. And cringey. Like, a strobe effect between laughing and cringing.

That PC manages to be at least as bad as the first PC I built before I knew how important cable management or extra fans was, and mine was on a budget of a few hundred dollars, not two thousand. I mean yeah, that was 10 12 15 (gently caress) years ago, but still. And I had an excuse for my heat sink not being on right, those stock Intel fans with the quarter-turn plastic thumbscrew things were finicky as gently caress.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

The Rat posted:

I've been playing on the same save since day 1 and I've only ever had one random crash. No issue with incompatibility or not loading.

But what about my big titty visigoth GF mods?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh my god any tips for Marauders in Doom?

This is suuuch loving bullshit. I can't even get past the first one. I've been fighting this same rear end in a top hat for the last hour. Every time I get close he goes all super saiyan with a flurry of axes and I die. There aren't enough random trash mobs around for me to farm for hp either.

edit: whoever thought that invulnerable enemies with specific frames where they aren't is fun in a shooter needs to be slapped. This poo poo is why I don't play dark souls.

edit 2: I keep reading that you need to hit him with the super shotty then balista right after, but by the time I swap he's recovered from the stagger and blocks.

The keeping a distance thing is kind of tricky because it seems to be not 100% that he'll attack when you're in that distance rather than dashing again, at which point you have to relocate. The first arena is a pain in the rear end for him as well. Super shotty into ballista is the way I've found works best, part of it does come down to how fast you can hit the button combo. I've seen some people way better than me at the game manage to do SSG, ballista, SSG combos before he recovers. One thing I did was rebind the weapons, I did 1-5 as normal and then put ballista on Z, chaingun on X, and BFG on C. It took me a bit of getting used to so you might want to make those alternate buttons so when you hit 6, 7, or 8 by muscle memory you still end up switching weapons. With the pace the game goes having to reach off the WASD keys far enough to hit 6, 7, or 8 is just really rough. You probably don't have fully upgraded remote detonation rockets yet, but you can fire one behind him, detonate, and then flip to another weapon to damage him if you've got the upgrade that makes it stagger stronger demons. Once you have the BFG, apparently you can fire one off to his side to make him rotate his shield towards it to keep blocking it and then shoot him in the back, I haven't tried that myself. Someone was saying you can stun him and then hit him with a BFG, but with how long the BFG takes to charge up the shot I've never gotten that to work.

Unfortunately a lot of it is just getting the patterns down, and I think eventually people will find other actions he takes where he can't block. I've seen a few of those where he gets hit when his eyes haven't flashed green, but I haven't been able to find a pattern on it yet. Once you do get in the proper range you can usually get multiple combos off because dodging his attack and staggering him usually leaves him in the right range for him to do the same thing again, and again.

Some of it also depends on your equipment situation going in, the worst time I had with one was after a big fight when I had almost no ammo, barely any armor, and less than full health. Then it spawned a prowler (teleporting imp), cyber-mancubus, whiplash (rear end in a top hat snake guys), dread knight, cacodemon, and pinky, capped off by a marauder, within about 5 seconds.

If it's stopped being fun there's no shame in turning the difficulty down, the way they introduced him was kind of bad with an arena so small that one or two zombies or imps will cut off a lot of your movement. You can always turn it back up for the next level, the level after the first Marauder is possibly the best one in the game. OTOH I probably should have turned the difficulty down on that encounter I mentioned before but I was stubborn because that was my first time playing any doom game on UV and I wanted to be able to do the whole thing on UV without turning difficulty down (I did turn it down on return trips to levels to get the rest of the collectibles but I turned it back up before doing the Slayer Gates).

There's a ton of lovely posting and flaming in the Games thread about marauders and whether they're good or bad. At this point I'm able to kill them pretty consistently and my opinion is that they aren't too hard once you learn how to fight them, but their design could use work. Make the freeze grenade freeze them even long enough to dash behind them and get one shot off on them, make their shields be able to be destroyed with one of your superweapons that you barely get ammo for, maybe in exchange that makes them more aggressive, it just feels like the marauder is maybe 90% finished when the rest of the game was 99% finished.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Internet Wizard posted:

I didn't think I was this old already but honestly I've hated almost every type of HARDMODE game for years now. Just let me have fun

I'm generally not into hard for the sake of hard anymore, I play games to blow off steam, but I have to say Doom Eternal is an exception there. I feel like there's a big difference in how a game can be hard. Is it hard because you take forever to beat an enemy? That's probably boring. Is it hard because you've got to keep five plates spinning at the same time? Okay that's actually a ton of fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

How does it compare to Insurgency? I was always strangely not-terrible at those pixelhunting 1-hit kill games, maybe because I could either position myself unpredictably enough to not get spotted or because I knew where people were likely to be running, or just sound awareness.

E: That reminds me, how was Insurgency: Sandstorm? I have it on my wishlist, I think I just didn't have any money when it came out and I forgot about it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I watched a few videos of it with high-level players and it could really vary wildly, it seemed like one big mistake from either the demons or slayer could end it with how much damage the demons can do jointly and how much damage the slayer can do if the demons let him get big combos in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, I had been wanting to try the Titanfall 2 campaign for a long time, so for $2.99 for the ultimate edition, why not?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

JFC what the gently caress happened to the Naughty Dog that made Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter? I get that Jak 2 got kind of edgelordy at times but that was the style at the time, soul patches and nu-metal. That was cartoony compared to what you just described.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't see why they'd need to go ultra-realistic with Mortal Kombat. It's a great game but also cartoon violence is way funnier than realistic violence so therefore it's always better to go the cartoon levels of violence when possible. It's like a freakin' compromise or something to do anything less.

Yeah, a lot of the fatalities in the newer Mortal Kombats seem excessive to the point of being unpleasant rather than entertaining. Like if you look at the ones from the original arcade version, those were like a second or two long, now they're 5-10 seconds with multiple camera angles and close-ups, on top of everything looking more realistic. If you want to see entertaining cartoony gore, look at the new Dooms. They did it right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Are those the attacks that look like they should be fatalities but that actually just do a bunch of damage despite involving stuff like shooting someone through the eye sockets?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Are you a Raven dev? That's a lot of games.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

You play a game about mining? You miss work that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Is it possible to mute music in the game? If so, do that and play music in your preferred media player.