Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Video games. We love them because they eat our time and fill our worthless lives with something to do. I know I like them, and hell, you do too, you nerd.

But how much do we like video games? Enough to have a megathread about them! And also to buy guns based entirely around seeing them in video games! After all, why do you think anyone owns a Desert Eagle?

Let me begin this new megathread by saying: give me bannerlord you cowards i need to see borcha in high definition

mod edit: just dropping a link to the old thread if anyone wants it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3015878

also, now that I'm an admin you don't see the "someone edited" thing when I do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

In the spirit of the thread title I maxed the Uzi in MW first and then I went and bought one. Bonus, it's one of the ones Century did a few years back because I wanted to save a couple hundred lol. Can't wait for my FFL to e-mail me saying it's in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fuckin' nice. Looking forward to Cyberpunk too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I put a marinecoat nickel-colored heatshield on my Mossberg shotgun entirely because the shotgun in Dead Rising 2 is a blued Mossberg with stainless heatshield and I like that two-tonedness.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Somebody Awful posted:

I got an AK-74 kit because of STALKER

Same but Makarov.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

What ever happened to Shani?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

I just found out homeworld remastered exists so thats cool

Hell yeah dude you're in for some fuckin' gaming.

Homeworld 1 was one of my Youth Games, I ended up with the collector's set with the silver box and the soundtrack and all the technical manuals and lore books.

Also I rebought RDR2 and managed to get it working by loving around non-stop with admin mode for various poo poo. If I weren't transferring poo poo to a new hard drive I got (fun thing they make 8TB hard drives now so I can consolidate all these smaller older ones into bigger new ones) I'd be cowpoking right now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arrath posted:

This sounds pretty cool. How is the AI re: being all-seeing laser accurate god mode bastards who can pop you in two shots from 500 yards when you sneeze?

Well it it's like Arma, then 100%.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arrath posted:

That's exactly my concern.

Here's some random Smash That Like Button guy talking about it and showing footage, IDK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DyOo1NFIM

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Lotion Tester posted:

*Cleans Schofield, cocked, finger on trigger*

Look, firearms safety was just not as evolved back then. Safe firearms handling was "If I shot you by accident but you ain't dead then we're being safe, pardner"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I got RDR2 turned down to like Oblivion/Two Worlds 1 level graphics but I got it going and I got it near 60. Gives me something to look forward to when I can really upgrade system in a while.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Guillermus posted:

I just looked and they released Hellgate: London on Steam. I got it at launch years ago and kinda enjoyed my two playthroughs with two characters but stopped playing. Wasn't that game dead, then kinda resurrected then dead again?

I heard it's a singleplayer conversion or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

There's some very fun and solid games on Switch.

Just not enough.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

If you need more RTS action they did also just remake and rerelease Age of Empires 2. Though admittedly I don't like the new remade music as much as the classic like 11k stuff that has fuzzy popping sounds.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

A great cowboy once said, "Gift of the silver tongue. They say it's the mark of a good officer... and of a liar."

Alaan posted:

Shields really own vs the clock keeper in Dead Cells. You can just spam block and fling his shuriken back at him. That plus turrets and itís pretty easy mode.

Holy poo poo I had no idea I always did the Clock the old-fashioned brute way.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Have I mentioned my hatred for multi-layering launcher bullshit? Because now after working yesterday, RDR2 doesn't work with a new error where the Social Club thinks it needs to update and won't.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Got RDR2 working again. Turns out when I made the swapover to that new drive I took My Documents with it since I don't keep it on C:/, which is exactly what I wanted, but what I didn't realize is there's a virtual link that needs updated in the actual system to tell it "Hey idiot My Docs is in this new drive now" so now the game works fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm under spec with my older i7 and 980 not-TI, but I've got it turned pretty high up because I was sick of the lovely playdough textures and am just running it 30 FPS lock and it's going well. It's not smooth exactly, since I never feel like 30FPS locks are exactly smooth, but it isn't dipping below 30 and I plan on upgrading my system at some point in the near future anyway (in fact I already am, hence the My Docs issue lol).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I got unusually excited just now when looking around in binoculars I found a couple snapping turtles just wandering around. I was disappointed I couldn't get them to comically bite and hang onto Arthur.

E: Apparently possums sound like toy laser guns?

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 15, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

So here's something that bothers me and I need to know if anyone knows the answer to this.

Did we have modern-style wooden pallets back in like 1899 or whenever RDR2 was? Like, clearly designed to be lifted and moved via jack or forklift.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

They needed to relocate it's release so we'd have time to play other games first still.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Actually what this means is six more months of crunch and you are all condemning these workers to it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Btw I made that post about more crunch as a joke but lol that I was right anyway

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Hey Shima, I'm getting Arma 3 to play co-op and co-op mods with a friend. Which of the DLCs are worth it?

Apex is the big one because it's a great map and a fair amount of new poo poo. Plus some of the better campaign-style mods like Overthrow are on it.

Next is Contact. The map that comes with it is also really cool though it lacks for other content when it comes to co-op.

After that world's your oyster. Most of them are essentially content packs, and that content can be available in the game even without the DLC. The big thing with the above two are maps.

For mods you may want to look at Liberation (can be highly customized but pretty basic stuff and more importantly it's easy to do stuff with just one other person), Overthrow (Not customizable but fun as hell and easy to do poo poo with only a few people doing guerilla poo poo), and Antistasi and related/offshoot campaigns (This is the hardest to do with only a few; mildly customizable if you know what you're doing. I've heard it's easier now but when me and my crew tried back in the day we had like almost zero movement on the map because they always took it back and we were too few to really strike them and cut off reinforcements etc). You can also look at a variety of other things, including ALIVE if you wanna get stupid with it, but those above are the basics. For mods you can probably get by either full-on vanilla and learn the game or do RHS to get real-world poo poo going. I will tell you now, if you can, install ACE and learn it, that's the big stumbling block for most people. Look up Youtube videos. Almost nobody plays without ACE and most custom campaigns require it, though some (Liberation and Antistasi for example) have backwards compatibility with vanilla no-ACE.

If you like, after you guys get settled in and learn the game my crew's been on hiatus for a bit due to a key member disappearing but I still maintain the server and our custom mod list, though I need to update them presently. Of course, I only have a couple of weekdays off and not normal hours and I'm unsure of the guys except for my coworker who's always down to go when he's not at work (he's also transitioning into a full-timer position though so he's about to lose his free time too). And because we mod like stupid you'd want a bunch of GB free for that too. The only hitch is the key member we're missing maintains a couple mods and he's got those set to friend-only so we'd need to prod his brother into getting him back online for a few minutes at least.

My "getting started and not knowing what we're doing" story is starting almost cold-turkey having never used ACE with my buddy in Overthrow and us taking a tiny town but he took a cop's europellet to the chest. So, we had no idea how to heal that, and he's there sorta bleeding out but also still awake. And in the process of trying to figure out healing him, I loving also blast him and now he's passed out and I still don't know what I'm doing to get him healed lol. I then spent like 30 minutes trying to learn the merchant system in Overthrow to buy band-aids only for him to die once I got the supplies and figured out how to do first aid someone. The lesson here is either Youtube it or learn in a safe environment, such as a conquered town.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 18, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I know everyone says wait for the Klan rally to fail due to incompetence where they burn themselves or whatever, but it's so worth it to just start shooting them to hear Ourther say "God damned hooded rats. I'll kill all of ya..."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

There's not many games that have a snowy cold setting so I kinda agree, that's a big part of what made Division 1 so fun.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Always Puffy Jacket.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Captain Log posted:

Division doesn't have options for dressing up in neon pink and purple.

I'll just keep doing Destiny 2 until that's fixed.

My friend, Purple Puffy Jacket is the best item I ever got from the Dark Zone or whatever they called the PVP area. I guarded that poo poo with my life when I read that name and knew I could not allow myself to die.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Only $65? I managed to rack up like $200 just picking a direction and walking and getting into misunderstandings, I was only trying to travel by foot without even robbing anyone!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Literally as soon as they cut me loose from tutorial I have not returned to camp pretty much at all. I've been wandering the world finding poo poo. Hosea is so sad that I don't show up for his mission ever.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Having a bad day: bad.

Trying Arma 3 for the first time: mildly bad.

Hitting a helicopter on my first shot with an RPG-7 at a good 1000 meters:

Hell yeah.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

There's other witchers we could follow.

Make one about that guy who got murked by the Striga and make the end of the game be going to face it with a fade to black.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I haven't tried Vindicta myself but I can tell you Overthrow is best on Tanoa where it was originally developed.

The mortars happened because Overthrow has VCOM AI naturally inserted into it and VCOM allows the AI to call in strikes, which are usually pretty accurate. I guess since the last time I played Overthrow they started allowing them to deploy mortars or arty vehicles lol

So, with RDR2, is it just impossible to get perfect skins off some animals or what, because I'm shooting Grizzlies with express rounds from my Springfield and it's taking three shots and I'm getting 1 stars off them for my trouble.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I mean I shot a grizzly in the face twice with the Springfield using express rounds so IDK what the gently caress. But I have notable bad luck with poo poo like that regardless of game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I still have yet to do even one story mission after the Oregon Trail mission at the start.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arrath posted:

This is basically your problem. Without the mentioned trinket that increases loot quality you have a drastically reduced chance to get a 3-star pelt if it takes more than a single shot. Even both to the head.

Yeah but my question is how do I one-shot a grizzly, I understand why I'm getting lovely pelts out of it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Here's another RDR2 question, this time controls related. Every time I go into dead eye it auto-targets instead of letting me select when to shoot, so when I, for example, try to hunt a bear and shoot it in the red spots it's like "lol you wanted to bounce this off the fur at the top of his back right" and I want that to not happen.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Friend, cautiously driving forward into a town: "We just hit a load zone so some stuff probably spawned in."

Me: "Yeah, guess so... but it seems kind of empty."

Our jeep gets RPG'd from an alley we pass by one minute later, ten guys run out and start sweeping their weapons in every direction

Don't drive too fast in Arma with dynamic campaigns like this because it is possible to outrun spawning distances and then that's how you suddenly have a squad of dudes and a few tanks spawn next to you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

With San Andreas I know they downgraded the graphics on PC at some point but there's some way to patch/mod it to having PS2 graphics which are vastly superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

CainFortea posted:

I liked Franklin a hell of a lot more than whatever the guys name is in San Andreas.

How could you forget CJ after all those times not following the drat train, CJ!