Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

skooma512 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/696650/BLACK_DAY/

I saw this game, Black Day, on RPS in the Flare Path.

He touted it as a sort of spritual successor to OG Ghost Recon or a better Wildlands. IIRC the dev also mods Arma 3 and there's definitely some DNA of A3 in here.

It's surprisingly well put together but still really rough around the edges. The AI pathfinding is way better than I expected and I love the customization and weapon variety already. It's very early access still.

I refunded it just because I probably need the 15 more than the game atm. I'm gonna keep an eye on it though.

Edit: I posted a steam review and saw this in another review.

..x3 gamemodes
...x21 terrific maps (with time-of-day and weather variables!)
...x28 different difficulty variables

It's surprisingly fleshed out for alpha. Like I said, definitely going to watch out for this one even though I refunded it.

This sounds pretty cool. How is the AI re: being all-seeing laser accurate god mode bastards who can pop you in two shots from 500 yards when you sneeze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Well it it's like Arma, then 100%.

That's exactly my concern.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

Look at all that JUICE

God drat it only took one line to give me flashbacks to that checkpoint from hell. Thanks for that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

lmao, the line ruled, the game.. eh.

I was seriously not a fan of GoW1 for whatever reason. I just thought it was lame as poo poo. GoW2 was actually pretty drat fun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Reach remaster is $10 and I'm once again playing SWAT and doming fools with my childhood friends at my side. Well worth it at that price point.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Heat seeking dynamite was the best feature of RDR1

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I mean I shot a ... twice

This is basically your problem. Without the mentioned trinket that increases loot quality you have a drastically reduced chance to get a 3-star pelt if it takes more than a single shot. Even both to the head.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

5er posted:

Especially in an open world game with an enormous map. Ghost Recon Wildlands, if you checked your map you'd briefly get a directional indicator but it'd fade out in your direct hud. Hated that, just wanted the loving thing to stay onscreen.

I tend to have the opposite problem in GTA, RDR, AC and the like, I'll spend more time staring at my little GPS and the plotted route, leading me to run into school buses, ambulances, over sidewalks, airmail myself over 8 lanes of traffic off my motorcycle, run people down with my horse, clothesline myself off my horse on signs branches etc etc.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

I played some zombie shooters in VR and kind of interesting thing I noticed:

Usually in a game the correct weapon to use is "whichever one does the most damage most effectively" but I found myself 100% preferring the guns with better sights, because you can actually use the sights. Kind of neat to experience.

Similar, Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand grenades (the premier VR shooting range) has instilled in me a love of guns that have a bolt release and mag release.

Racking the bolt or yanking the mag is for suckers.

In short, AR platform supremacy. The usability of an AK sucks.

Also laser sights are OP.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sorry Dutch, gently caress your missions, I'm forcing myself to go out with bow and varmint rifle and collect these fuckin perfect rabbits and squirrels that I need.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guillermus posted:

AliExpress probably and Amazon wharehouses from europe.

Well that explains all the 5.11 gear.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

Ya know what, what you're describing reminds me of this obscure indie game I watched a review for: Star Sector

Dont knowing this is your thing but check it out:
https://youtu.be/acqpulP1hLo

Edit: check out this guys Space Station 13 review for hilarity

Starsector rules.

EV:Nova and other star trader style games meet Mount & Blade. I absolutely love it to death. Vibrant mod scene, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

5er posted:

I know everyone else doesn't have a blood feud against the Epic store and has been over this a while, but I loving hate the Killavolt fight.

Tbh I didn't have a problem with it. Typical watch the floor for bad things fight.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well, it was certainly a mistake to punch open 4 of the monster boxes in the room after getting the Super Shotgun. I was not prepared to rip n tear that many demons at once.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Most enemies I can deal with, but gently caress snakey bois.

Also, riot shield marines can be surprisingly lethal if you let them get too close with those full auto shotguns, ow.

Honestly I find the platforming a pretty decent break between the hectic combat, I haven't gotten stuck on any sections and can pull off some pretty good chain grapple bars and air jumps to get through those sections as the level designer intended. The ones with climbing walls are a little annoying, thanks to the need to press a button to glom onto the wall, unless you air dash at it.

All in all, I really enjoy the combat, playing on Ultra-Violence. Its stupid fast and hectic and I'm basically always running around on the cusp of death, using every tool at my disposal to keep a modicum of health and armor while jumping around the levels like a vengeful nightcrawler with a shotgun.

Shima Honnou posted:

Also they took the best pump-action shotgun firing the best buckshot in gaming and turned it into a China Lake with optional waste ammo function.

So far it really feels like some of the weapon mods are under tuned or just not nearly as useful. Maybe I haven't given them a chance to shine yet, but e.g. what good are micro missiles when the alternative is your best long ranged weak spot deleter? Like you say, full auto just seems like a way to burn all your shells in a half second, since your inventory is so limited.

On that note, who has any recommendations for the plasma rifle mods? I haven't unlocked either of em yet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The only good solution I've found for them is ice grenade and then rocket launcher. Apparently the homing rocket launcher is also pretty good since it lands enough rockets to one-shot and they have a hard time dodging it, but I got the remote detonation first.

Yeah I've taken to using the ice grenade then jumping into the air to trigger the time slow perk while I lock on with the burst rocket. Works decently, but most everything else around me gets to gently caress my day up at the same time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Glad I bought a Rift years ago, I get to coast and enjoy the awesome poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What the hell I did the slayer gate in the Super Gore Nest but didn't get the key for it.

No cheats or nothin.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 28, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Okay the Marauder is the first thing that made me turn the difficulty down. Just to stomp his rear end so I could move on, ugh. Sure he has a tell but he swoops in to attack your rear end about 3 nanoseconds later, meanwhile you're busy dodging his dumb ghost dogs and all the trash mobs, or too busy trying to get some health/armor from them to realize he's about to put the whooping down

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I greatly enjoy BL3. The characters are great fun and the classes are good times, the loot is good and the drop rate isn't garbage like BL2. The only downside are the annointed enemies you find later on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The problem i'm having with BL3 is that the guns with the best stats are all whacky hijinks. Like a sniper rifle that shoots 3 bullets in a horizontal line.

Like, it's a sniper rifle. I'm trying to give some bandit a 3rd loving eyeball. I don't need a bullet to pass on either side of him too.

But boy it sure puts in work on bosses with big-rear end crit spots.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That is some acid trip level poo poo. Or a solid april fools, I can't tell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

God bless you for helping improve the game by playing early, but are you really modding a game that gets daily patches??

You're god drat right I am! Sometimes things need tweaking, or fixing. And, when its getting consistent patches and updates and I have reason to restart a lot, it doesn't hurt to turn up the XP gain so I can get out of the early game doldrums faster.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Akion posted:

What happens if my dude dies? Can I name the various members of my band after TFR Goons?

When you create the game you can choose to allow character death or not.

If you go down in a battle and your guys manage to win, chances are you'll come out wounded and take a while to heal. If you go down and your guys lose, you'll be taken prisoner by the enemy band. After some time you may be able to escape.

If you've chosen the character death option and die, you can choose to start another guy in the same save/world as the next fella in that lineage ala Rogue Legacy and go try to avenge dear old dad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Rat posted:

I've been playing on the same save since day 1 and I've only ever had one random crash. No issue with incompatibility or not loading.

Same.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've only had one issue with a mod so far, they patched in what the mod did (tournament xp) and the overlap was causing crashes in that specific instance, so I disabled it. No problem since. Didn't nuke my save gave my disabling it, either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

So this is what happens in BL3 when you play Torgue's thunderdome thing on the highest difficulty and your buddy has a +luck charm running.

Note that this is only like a quarter of the map. Look at that minimap up there. It took us half a loving hour just to mule all the garbage legendaries to the vending machine.

Edit: towards the end we literally could not see the enemies.

Holy poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh my god any tips for Marauders in Doom?

This is suuuch loving bullshit. I can't even get past the first one. I've been fighting this same rear end in a top hat for the last hour. Every time I get close he goes all super saiyan with a flurry of axes and I die. There aren't enough random trash mobs around for me to farm for hp either.

edit: whoever thought that invulnerable enemies with specific frames where they aren't is fun in a shooter needs to be slapped. This poo poo is why I don't play dark souls.

edit 2: I keep reading that you need to hit him with the super shotty then balista right after, but by the time I swap he's recovered from the stagger and blocks.

By default keybinds "q" is weapon quickswap, bouncing between your equipped and last weapon. Pull the SSG and ballista out on theor own then just mash q between shots to keep the fucker stunned until he dies.

I also hate the marauder, but with that trick he does go down fast.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

wait for it buddy

the first time you fight one is the easiest form of it

wait until the game throws multiple others like whippit snakes and poo poo at you with him

Also known as "when i wuss out and turn it down from ultra-violence for a bit"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MH:W is the only one I've ever played, and the SwAxe is life.

Why yes I would like to climb onto your back, stab you, and zap the hell out of you with my exploding sword, thank you very much.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Children getting mad at video games is a time honored tradition.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

5er posted:

Just looked at the Receiver 2 trailer on Steam. Sure seems like some appeal to the paranoid/prepper/DERNED LIE-BERAL MEDIA mindsets going on there.

Yeah? Receiver 1 was a good time for "panicking and dumping my entire revolver cylinder on the floor as a manhack is coming at me" lets check this out.

Looks like more of the same, fun! Still sidearms only tho, blah. Let me shortstroke a pump in a panic, guys, come on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Journey is a good time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo that was hilarious

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered why an actual licensed IP Iron Man game has never happened. I mean, we're probably well past that being a hot property that would have made a ton of money, but if they'd given it the Spiderman treatment say right around Iron Man 3?

Oh it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyKfQdoKC8o

I remember trying the demo. I dunno if the game itself was any good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

It's funny because buying external USB HDDs and "shucking" them is very often cheaper than buying the same bare drives directly. They just have a USB to SATA adapter and the drives in there are regular SATA drives with the occasional caveat (different reset signal sometimes on a sata power connector, but not always and easy to mod with some kapton tape)

Also HDDs often have a decent size cache sometimes even in tiers of DRAM and NAND flash so depending on workload the drives can be optimized to seem as speedy as an SSD. Anyway drives are cool

Yeah I've done this to good effect a few times, though there is one caveat to keep in mind here. Some drives (I think a Western Digital line in particular) that advertise hardware encryption have the encryption module on the usa->sata adapter. If you set that up/write stuff to the drive before ripping it out of the enclosure it can lock up the data in it, leaving you to format it.

Though apparently those encryption methods can pretty easily be worked around if you wanna pull a Mr. Robot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I want load times to be less brutal. What's my best bet?

An external SSD will give you slightly better load times than a HDD. Probably faster texture streaming for less pop-in, too. I found one article claiming up to 20% faster loads with the Official Branded External SSD but that seems dubious. Like Priznat says it'll definitely vary from game to game. I bet Destiny 2's menus would be faster.

Whether that little bump up in QoL is worth the extra money is up in the air.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

Rimworld 1.1 chat.

Did some poking around in Steam discussions and some other folk aren't happy with some of the new changes either.

HOWEVER. It seems most of it is due to the "Royal" DLC content overriding content in the base game. People are disabling the Royal DLC and are having better results, so I'm starting a new colony tonight and giving it a try.

Sucks to have DLC apparently worsen the game.

Weird, I'm greatly enjoying the new DLC.