Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/696650/BLACK_DAY/

I saw this game, Black Day, on RPS in the Flare Path.

He touted it as a sort of spritual successor to OG Ghost Recon or a better Wildlands. IIRC the dev also mods Arma 3 and there's definitely some DNA of A3 in here.

It's surprisingly well put together but still really rough around the edges. The AI pathfinding is way better than I expected and I love the customization and weapon variety already. It's very early access still.

I refunded it just because I probably need the 15 more than the game atm. I'm gonna keep an eye on it though.

Edit: I posted a steam review and saw this in another review.

..x3 gamemodes
...x21 terrific maps (with time-of-day and weather variables!)
...x28 different difficulty variables

It's surprisingly fleshed out for alpha. Like I said, definitely going to watch out for this one even though I refunded it.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Action-Bastard posted:

I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but here's one goons paint job to emulate the M1A from the Rainbow Six cover:

Rogue Spear is my favorite game from my middle school era.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I have a Pro Controller, but all my attempts were just on the little Switch screen. I also got, then sold, Skyrim. It needed a big screen.

Don't get me wrong though, I loving love my Switch. I can only imagine how great it would be if you had multiple children.

I still need to finish the new Mario side scroller I haven't touched in a while.

My Switch was gifted to me back when I was really ill/untreated and it literally improved my life. Being stuck in hospitals can legit start to drive you nuts. I owe Achievement Hunter credit too. Their long running, hour long series were mana from Heaven. Even though I watch a lot less of that stuff now, I still try to watch them doing Seven Days, Hitman, Minecraft, and anything funny like My Summer Car.

Funhaus started to get really self loathing and sometimes over edited. I still love them, but I felt like their self hatred was contagious.

Iím glad people enjoy My Summer Car if only vicariously.

Iíve built that car like 4 times. Itís a very zen experience. Spend all that time building it, and it gets broken or I stop playing and start over later. Itís like my version of a sand mandala. Life is fleeting, free yourself from the desire to hold on to this car and your very life itself, haista vittu.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

It got better in Div 2, as the sponge enemies in 1 could only be negated by very specific builds. Of course the usual rebuttal is "hurr burr it's diablo with guns hurrr"

A fresh char in diablo can clear out a crowd with a couple of clicks so hmmm.

Yeah with realistic it's pretty much all or nothing. You can't have this uncanny valley poo poo where everything else looks real but people can facetank your entire loadout. It sucked in Medal of Honor Airborne too when in the last level it decided it wanted to crib off Wolfenstein.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Just name every horse Roach.

I named all mine Meredith. It helps that most horses I found happened to be mares anyway.

Steeltalon posted:

San Andreas is still in my opinion the greatest of all time GTA story. Vice City is pretty good too. But all down hill from there. In 4 Nico was bland, boring and the side characters were annoying. In 5 none of the characters were likable. Trevor was the only interesting character because of his unpredictable and insane behavior but he was a irredeemably terrible person. Micheal was an rear end in a top hat with a dysfunctional family who started doing crime because he was bored. Franklin was completely forgettable. He didn't any of the charm and charisma that CJ had in SA.

Lamar was at least entertaining and more of a classic GTA character.

I enjoyed dumping gasoline on Michael's family members. Either his wife or daughter would be outside sunbathing and I made that bitch firewalk with me

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

jfc I forgot how terrible 640x480 looked

also you can't run and shoot? The gently caress?

Yeah Vice City is no go now because of that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Have fun with this, Two Point Hospital was an absolute blast.

Some things about are a little annoying like how I don't even get a minute to start building the hospital before dipshits show up wanting care.

But other than that it's pretty solid.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

It was a tempting offer until I discovered it was for XBone/Live. Also the Swedish Live store has it for $10 due to regional pricing.

Uplay has it for that too, and for PS4

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Can't even finish the first tutorial mission in the Division 2 because I get kicked out for connection errors.

What a turd of a game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

priznat posted:

Live service models suck rear end, no doubt.

When the connection stuff is ok itís fine but it is dumb as hell being able to play it depends on how your internet connection is doing AND if their servers arenít currently overloaded.

lol

Yeah that's fine, I'll go play Days Gone instead. Or Uncharted 4, or literally anything else.

Forza Horizon 4 is online too but it doesn't stop me from playing it's tutorial if the servers are overloaded lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ďResources exist be consumed, and consumed they will beĒ

The real test is which SMAC faction he likes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was addicted to ONI in December but I fell off. Not for a reason, just had my fill and put it down.

Iíve been making attempts to get the magic back. I was hooked on my Rime save but not having to worry about sinking heat is a crutch. Trying a terra map now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I got a surprising amount of relaxation out of Euro Truck and American Truck Simulator. It's a completely mundane task being represented, but there's something just very chill about putting on the radio and taking a virtual truck down the highway at night.

I do this with Death Stranding now that I'm in the post game. Even before then, the combat was always kind of easy and trivial.

I'm trying to plat it but it's nice to just move poo poo back and forth, upgrade people's stuff and the game thanking you every time you do.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was reminiscing about Div 1 with my partner the other day, and how much I loved my character and dressing her up in cool looking outfits. I had a sense of her personality and who she was just based on appearance alone and I really liked her.

Gonna make her again in Div 2.

I too, love playing My Pretty Tactical Princess.

I wish they had more than 5 outfits in Div 2 though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh? Div 2 has a ton of clothing.

I guess the outfits to start.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I gotta hand it to Ubi, they're at least willing to fix their stuff instead of abandoning it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Beat Days Gone.

At first I wasn't too impressed with the game. It was a by the numbers open world game for the most part, felt like Mad Max in the woods, but it grew on me. I enjoyed it. Probably my favorite thing was the hoards once I got the end game gear, challenging by not overly so.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Been playing the Breakpoint free weekend.

I actually like it way more than I thought I would! It's kind of what I always wanted for Arma 3.

It's kind of confusing as to where to go and what to do and there is a lot of commuting. I also don't like that it doesn't respect my time very much. Erewhon is way too big and it takes forever to go to the stalls and get out. My game freezes a lot though and the pop in is ridiculous, even in menus.

I'll hold out for a deeper sale.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Rat posted:

This Dale Gribble voice pack for XCOM 2 is truly a work of art.

You can't say poo poo like this and not have a link dude.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was excited for Bannerlord but they said itís like a year maybe before itís polished up to Warband standards.

Meh. If you all you got is an alpha after all this time I can wait some more.

Itís funny though, I remember playing Warband while listening to the news during the financial crisis. New crisis, new mount and blade

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I really want Bannerlord to be a mostly done game I can play right the gently caress now.

Yeah I mean... I get it in 2005 but I thought we were past this poo poo with this studio already.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 10, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Built a new system. It's an AMD Ryzen 5 3600. Got a Fractal Design Meshify S2 to put it in. I've never had a case this organized or where I had to worry about the back.

It's so freaking quiet. My Sandy Bridge build's case was so buzzy at this point I could hear it even through headphones

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Imagine how little effort Bethesda would have had to put into Fallout 76 to make it worth playing. People have wanted to play Fallout with their friends for how long?

But no gently caress up everything about it and then kick out a half-baked piece of poo poo and make your company look laughably loving stupid in the process.

A co-op game where you can't play with your friends....

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup. That was my preferred game review source pre-internet. They had a guy with a wargaming column that was really good. William Trotter. Looking at his wikipedia page I see he died of pancreatic cancer a bit over a year ago

Same I had a sub from 2003 to like 2008. The demo discs were the best part. Sometimes when I hear the air conditioner I can remember getting the one with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 and playing the poo poo out of it.

Although the magazines donít age well. The paper is fine but goddamn is the writing juvenile. You can tell what the target audience was, and I am no longer that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Just Cause 3 with the JETPACK was super rad. It was like an Iron Man simulator

Iím glad Iím not the only who thought exactly that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Trying to get into Three Kingdoms and just keep bouncing off. IDK what it is, I've been playing since Shogun 1 but I just can't get my head around 3K and be successful. I've been trying Sun Jian since his start isn't very hectic but I end up half way through the campaign puttering around in the vast south completely behind the AI and barely making any money. Takes forever to get my armies around. I'm getting better about disbanding guys and using the redeploy system though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if nerds can remaster the Doom Eternal tracks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Memento posted:

One thing that annoys the piss out of me with Windows 10 is that it won't let me modify some files. I'm the administrator, but it's decided it Knows Better. I wanted to replace the opening videos from Metro: Exodus I installed from XBOX Game Pass, because they loaded choppy as hell. I found out if you replaced the .webm files with empty files of the same name, it would just skip them. But because they were installed in a protected folder, there was nothing I could do to change them. I went down a rabbithole of trying to assign permissions for that folder to myself, but nothing worked.

Ugh I ran into the same issue. I have no idea why MS guards Windowsapps so zealously. You canít see in it normally and what is in there is obfuscated. Itís Forza Horizon guys loving chill.

Couldnít even delete an orphaned install when I upgraded my computer and wanted to use my storage drive. Taking ownership and changing perms is merely a request, since it would still ask me to get permission from myself to delete this extra special folder. It protects system files less heavily.

I made an Ubuntu USB and deleted it in Iike 10 seconds. No drama.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Goondolences for your build.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If anyone knows how to get the technical aspects sorted I would totally run a 2142 server out of my apartment for a night.

Iíve paid to set up BC2 servers in the past, too, and have a UT2k4 server running right now, but I donít think any services still do 2142 so Iíd have to run it off my laptop or something.

Lots of options these days. Small form factor has never been cheaper and easier so you can have a little server the size of a box of tea on your desk that's pretty quiet, cool, and doesn't take a lot of electricity. AMD is putting out a lot of powerful chips for cheap, the stuff scheduled for release this year is even better.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Or the old Janeís games. They were so good but so ugly. I spent way too much time on Apache Longbow and ATF when I was 8.

Still remember the radio chatter like it was yesterday. "APR-39 operational". The Longbow 1 menu song was rad.

688i is on Steam and works no hassle, I actually beat it last year after getting a taste for it from Cold Waters and avenging my 8 year old self. Unfortunately being able to operate a nuclear attack submarine at 8 years old doesn't count for poo poo for schools or girls lol.

EA released a version with both ATF and USNF in it and it... actually works on Windows 10 with no issues with basically no tweaking required. It wouldn't work on Windows 7 even with tweaking. Pretty much anything from Win 95/98 is such a crapshoot, especially if they used DirectDraw. People have put out patches but it's still hit and miss.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

priznat posted:

I remember one of the sub sims where you could play multiplayer, 688 vs Alfa, and the Alfa could outrun the mk48 torpedoes so it would just turn tail and beat it whenever fired at.. Just drop an ASROC on their expected path tho

Dangerous Waters. Also on Steam and also works ok, but you need to do a little work. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236684

Wait for real the next AC is Vikings?

Well, I once again have to give them props. Pre-Norman England and the Danelaw is a pretty deep cut, the only games I can name that deal with this are all strategy games. Their games always feel samey, but they have good settings at least.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Rat posted:

This all sounds so absurdly mean-spirited. That's the term I was trying to think of earlier.

And not even in a humorous way like say, a GTA game might do. That is pretty ridiculous and I didn't even really care for TLOU1.

This month’s humble monthly is rear end but I bought it anyway because I wanted Warsaw. I have 8 picks left, everything but Warsaw and Warhammer 40k Gladius is still available. PM me if you want any of those codes.

Trade you a Hitman 2 code for the Jurassic Park game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was kindly given the Jurassic Park key.

The Hitman 2 key is still up for grabs if anyone wants it, I was told to pay it forward.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Akion posted:

The reports of cheating have kind of kept me from getting MW. I played Warzone early on and enjoyed it, but I think it was before the glut of hackers.

You should avoid just because it's janky for what it is. You're telling me the biggest game of the biggest franchise of them all has problems with stability even though they patch weekly and have since October?

Before I upgraded I would get CTDs all the time for no reason. Now that I have a better processor, that stopped (I think) but now I get disconnected a bunch and it freezes while loading another level.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Action-Bastard posted:

Oh right what I originally came here to say...

Put some time in with warzone, haven't encountered any brazen cheaters but woof the competition. Tried some solo and that can be brutal but if you're stealthy and patient you can make it close to the end. Played some quads tonight and god a bad team ruins everything, and this is why I avoid most online games.

Also, really wish people didn't take so much damage to drop.

Yeah thatís the thing, if Iíve played with cheaters I canít loving tell because me going 5/23 is just how that game goes most of the time anyway. Sucks to suck.

Although Iíve been getting MVPs in shoothouse and doing much better lately even though Iím usually hosed up when i play

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

I am one of the probably double digit number of people that paid for Scorched Earth and mIRC registration fees back in the day.

WinRAR can still eat a dick, though. There have never not been better free alternatives.

I use 7zip because I was tired of the nag windows and it's basically the same anyway. I know the name makes it sound like crapware but it's OSS and very reputable.

As far as old school tank games, I wish I could play M1 Tank Platoon 2 reliably. Armored Fist 2 and 3 are ok I guess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Memento posted:

I just had a look and apparently it was taken down from everywhere in 2019 due to music licenses expiring.

That game has music?

I really liked the ideas it had for dialogue systems, which is crucial in an espionage game and they know what they're doing thematically on that end.

It plays like poo poo though, like I just had no fun actually playing the game. Just like a blah feeling throughout. The gunplay was atrocious too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm going to wait for at least before I even think of a PS5. Gonna wait for the flaws to be ironed out and not be the victim of the next RROD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

oh poo poo I forgot Battlefront was on PS Plus this month. I blew it off because COD.