Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I ended up getting my first non-long gun, a Single Six, after finishing RDR. Shooting that Single Six a bunch is what got me into guns as a hobby rather than just something I owned out of necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

*Cleans Schofield, cocked, finger on trigger*

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I forgot all about Aviary Attorney and last played it years ago when I think only one chapter of the game was finished, but I remember it being very enjoyable and well written. Especially if you're a fan of bad puns.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Captain Log posted:

Gimmick?!?!

Nah, that game is much older.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

This is the type of pallet/skid I associate with old timey railroads, but even it may be too new of a thing to be correct for 1899.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I couldn't get into Horizon. The combat is fun, but I otherwise spent the whole time wishing I was playing BotW instead. It also self-spoils its whole plot within a few hours if you're paying close attention to things.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Steam version still has all of the songs, just the mobile and I think the PS4 versions had things removed. If you buy it on Steam now you'll get something called the "New Audio" version, but they forgot to actually change anything.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Steam version of San Andreas does have songs removed and various control issues. Vice City is based on the Japanese PC release or something weird and doesn't have anything removed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

RDR2 was patched relatively recently to allow fast travel from any campfire, if you aren't into all of the riding around.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And you miss out on all of the free guns from that guy that keeps being bitten by snakes.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The last time I was at a GameStop, the person at the register refused to let me buy the game I was there for unless I purchased a magazine subscription. No matter how many times I declined, they just weren't having it. Had to get a magazine subscription. I eventually just put down the game and walked out.

Today, on a whim, I decided to go in and see what GameStop could possibly be selling these days. The same person as before immediately told me I was banned and had to leave.

The game I was trying to buy before? Max Payne 2. That manager remembered my face for SIXTEEN loving YEARS and still hates me. That is some serious dedication to having no customers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I know that I'm only banned by an imaginary measures that only exists within her mind, but it's hilarious to think that in the span of 16 years they've had so few customers that they know them all. The anger over me not subscribing to a magazine could have altered the course of someone's life.

I remembered what she looked like because it was the weirdest experience I've ever had trying to just go into a store and buy a product I already wanted. Maybe she remembered what I looked like because nobody had refused a subscription before. Today was just surreal enough that I had to share it.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 14, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Classic Doom = still a classic
Classic Doom played with contemporary community made levels = top-down bullet hell shooter except it's first person and it owns
Current Doom = Quake II but horror-comedy and doot skeleton memes

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The pilot also mentions that he burns the flight plans...

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Who remembers installing Socket A heatsinks, where you had to pry on some spring clips with a screwdriver with a million pounds of force and were one slip away from cutting a bunch of traces on your motherboard or knocking a hole through it?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Those radiator screws.

That video probably made somebody burn their house down.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I haven't played Eternal yet, is it significantly different in tone from the previous games? I've always interpreted the intent of the violence in Doom games as comedy rather than shock value, but that's something that could easily be ruined by one bad writer that doesn't understand what it's supposed to be.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't have it installed just now to check if it has controller support, but OpenMW makes playing Morrowind on modern systems pretty nice. It's still Morrowind, but running on a completely new engine with a better UI and none of the bugs from the original.

Edit: You can play with a controller, but navigating the menus is done by using the stick to move around an on screen mouse cursor.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 9, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Reuse the same map to make an online game set in the late 1850s with no PvP or plot and a focus on hunting, fishing, and exploration. And a shitload of different board and card games.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't know that the game itself has aged well, but Hitman: Contracts is tied with Civilization IV for having the best main menu ever.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If anyone is on the fence about Hitman 2, it's currently 84% off on Green Man Gaming.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's not baked in, but you get the Legacy Pack for free if you bought the first game at some point.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I am one of the probably double digit number of people that paid for Scorched Earth and mIRC registration fees back in the day.

WinRAR can still eat a dick, though. There have never not been better free alternatives.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

chairface posted:

I had registered versions of all that... thanks to OSCAR.

That still works too!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Also grab the fan made Blood campaign Death Wish. It has an immense amount of effort put into it and is full of mapping tricks that I don't remember ever seeing in a commercially released Build engine game.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have a wireless XB1 controller that I leave connected with a USB cable and it just works. The current production ones can connect over regular Bluetooth too instead of needing a dongle, but then I'd need to put batteries in it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jim Sterling gave it a 1.something and specifically bitched about the pistol skill being useless, which is...

To this day, I have no idea what any of the boss fights were supposed to be like because the pistol Chain Shot skill can one shot all of them. All of the dramatic bullshit leading up to a boss fight followed by Mike just shooting them in the face and being done in under a second never stopped being hilarious to me.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

chairface posted:

Uncharted Waters 2 was my favorite version of that.

Could you recommend a good guide for getting into Uncharted Waters 2? About once a year I try to get into it because it looks like extremely my kind of thing, but I always end up giving up after a couple of hours because at the end of the day it's still an impenetrable Koei sim.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Every game dev seems to think that whatever Internet access they have is representative of typical US Internet access, for some reason. Instead of the reality of Internet access still being poo poo and happening over 120+ year old phone lines. 100 GB is over a week of downloading for me.

I literally can't download a patch before the next patch comes out.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 18, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Captain Log posted:

- OH GOD ANOTHER DRUGGED CUTSCENE

These got so obnoxious that I had to post to ask if my game was glitching out. Like, surely it can't be meant to work this way, right?

Just flying a plane along, miles away from anyone, then suddenly a boss is talking at me. Because apparently the bad guys can drop tranq darts into my cockpit from an orbital satellite or some poo poo.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The funniest theory I've read for how that happened is that the audio actually got sped up in post to try to cover up that all of the lines were read with no emotion. Supposedly everything got crammed into a couple of recording sessions and the voice actors were given no direction, or even context for what the hell they were making so everyone was just .

BEER WE DRINK BEER

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

They just said that the ending was incredible, not that it was good.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Saints Row 4 added romance options just to parody Mass Effect, but in doing so they inadvertently made the best romance options in video game history.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

If having issues with resources and difficulty, rather than fighting through installing 30 cheatmode mods, just choose the lowest difficulty setting and save yourself the anguish of modding except for inventory management.

This here. I played through on Hard unmodded and even with being willing to manage to the oils and put in the effort to get good enough that the challenge level was reasonable, the combat never actually became fun. It was always just a slog that I couldn't wait to be over with.

When I played the DLCs I switched it to Easy so I could just button mash through the fights and get back the story and had a way better time because of it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

Aside from using deadeye or getting cosmetic horse upgrades, that is an animation of the opposite of how I play Red Dead 2. I just like soaking up piles of scenery, helping people and not killing them after, watching cutscenes, feverishly working to ensure no horse of mine ever dies, feeding horses a natural diet only, and walk friendly, the texas way, so no one flips out and kills you.

Some of the best fun I had in RDR2 was putting my horse in the stable and spending hours wandering around on foot, just taking in the view, fishing, and shooting at random road signs and stuff with the .22.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mortabis posted:

I have to be honest, I've always found the groverhouse obsession to be a little creepy.

Dude, he literally put fiberglass insulation in the stairs.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is your complaint that it doesn't autosave, or that you have to go back to the last save point when you die? If it's the latter, I agree that there's not really a way to remove that and still have the core gameplay that makes it feel like a metroidvania. I guess you could do something like Dark Souls where you have to track down your corpse, but that sounds a lot more annoying.

A "save and quit" option that makes a single use save for when you just want to come back to the game later sure would be cool, though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Bring back Mario Golf, Toadstool Tour was A+

Agreed, anyone that likes golf games should check it out. It's not like Mario Kart where there's tons of Mario wackiness going on, it's just a really good golf sim that somehow ended up with Mario in it.

Advance Tour is even more detailed, with an RPG style campaign with stats and stat degradation and stuff. But, you know, GBA screen resolution.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

But still no option to let me play the Switch version at 35 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The only time sniper rifles have been good is the Hitman series, where it's such a specific situational thing that working out a way to make use of one really feels special.