Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Video games mostly made me pine after FALs and anti-tank rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but here's one goons paint job to emulate the M1A from the Rainbow Six cover:

I looked at the photo before the text and was instantly like 'hey yeah I remember that game'.

drat that looks cool.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lpzie posted:

i hate how there's no trigger discipline in video games, safeties aren't on, and you can just point your gun at everyone instead of lowering them when in buildings or talking to people. it turns me off of games these days unless i can mod it out.

smdh if you ain't got kicked from Red Orchestra at least fifty times because your urge to shoot is greater than your ability to discern grey from green

edit: it's not blue on blue it's RU on RU

Fond memories of rage-quitting a game where my team wouldn't attack by calling down artillery in the middle of my own camp-rear end team.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 11, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fallout New Vegas on the RDR2 engine ok thanks

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, I'm glad it's helping me save my pennies to get a job (god such a dumb mechanic)

Aren't you used to that by now, being a history major and all?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Doesn't look like a pallet to me. Ain't painted blue and missing half the poo poo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Blood Sweat and Pixels is an interesting book if you care for a deeper look into the subject.

I'd also recommend Console Wars, even if the preface rides executive dick a little hard.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mortabis posted:

Think abstractly. Nobody is consciously setting out to make these jobs crappy. They become crappy as the price for them--in money and, well, pleasantness--goes down because the number of people who want to do them and are qualified is just really high compared to the actual demand. So, when you go out and try to hire someone, you can get a great candidate for some comically low salary. If you try to hire someone for more, you won't be competitive, because your competitors won't do that.

And at the end of the day, this makes sense because if the jobs didn't suck, you'd have too many people making games and not enough people making other stuff, because it is fun to make games.

pretty sure that money and pleasantness all go down because the money goes straight down bobby kotick's gullet

you can't make this argument a time where companies like blizzard say 'we're making record profits!', followed by firing a shitload of people and re-hiring people for those same jobs at lower salaries.

crunch exists because of unrealistic views regarding profits and production, and a toxic culture that grinds people to loving dust and uses mutual suffering to hold them hostage to their co-workers under the guise of teamwork.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck all of that.

edit: I've read books and lots of news, etc, on the subject. I've heard of people working outrageous hours for not a lot of money and the effect it's had on them, their families, their minds and bodies. And it would be one thing if we were sending people to Mars or something, but it's all in the name of Madden 2020.

To look at the industry in its current state and to shrug and go 'well it is what it is' is beyond offensive.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 17, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

At least for restaraunts you can make the argument that there isn't a lot of meat on the bone with margins as thin as they are. That doesn't justify paying workers the way they do, but at least it is something, especially for places that ain't part of a huge national chain.

With video game industries, a lot of it stems from unrealistic promises to shareholders. It isn't enough to be profitable, not even fantastically profitable. There always has to be growth and expansion, and that is what's promised. The result is tighter deadlines, cuts to labor, and increasing monetization of games ( games as a service, loot boxes ), a toxic work environment, etc.

It's dumb. It's real dumb. There's no reason to work these people like a rented mule in an industry that is fantastically profitable just to make it marginally more profitable.

I work at a place where every day I have to do things that result in lower profits because they're hilariously tight-fisted with the amount of labor they'll allow us to work. It's so all so loving dumb.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Also hell yeah play Bloodlines because it's one of the best written games in a long, long time. If you have any appreciation for RPGs and you've not beaten that game welp you are missing the hell out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

It's also worth noting that one of the most renowned parts of Bloodlines ( the Malkavin branch ) was done in two weeks in a fit of passion by one guy just before launch. He felt strongly about what it would add to the game, pushed for it to be put in, and was given permission to make the attempt with the caveat that if he failed it wasn't going in.

There was no profitable reason to put it in, dude just felt strongly about what he was working on and was willing to pour himself into creating something better.

I'm real loving sad that studio didn't get to stick around to break more ground, in part of how they were done wrong by Steam over the Half Life 2 engine.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crunch as a short time thing near the end of projects isn't the end of the world. The issue in the game industry is normalizing crunch as a standard operating procedure and having it last for months, even years, before the product launches. There are some legit horror stories out there about companies like Bioware.

I've had crunch in other jobs. gently caress, it's a seasonal fact of life as an educator. Eventually you reach a point in the semester when a bunch of papers and a bunch of tests get turned in all at once and the administration needs your grades in four days. Time to open a bottle of whisky and sit down for a couple 14 hour days of grading. The thing is that this kind of crunch is very limited in scope (one bad weekend) and takes place for very non-negotiable reasons (seniors graduate in like a week, need their grades, and finale exams are a thing). It's that limited scope that's the big one.

Like unpaid OT for salaried workers it's one of those things that makes sense in some areas but can be brutally exploited in others. The c-level officer of a company dealing with a clusterfuck of a scandal should probably expect to pull some 60 hour weeks, as that's part of the expectation of the position and why he's compensated like he is. The manager of a Denny's shouldn't be pulling 60 hours a week every week because his boss wants him to be the last person to lock the door every night but aren't willing to pay a second manager.

I've worked twelve hour+ days before because of things like inventory, or 'crunch' days in retail. I don't like it and I think it's bullshit, but I'll at least acknowledge there's a reason why I'm being scheduled twelve hours the day before Thanksgiving, or that I need to come in and start throwing poo poo away when the power's been out and we've got two full trucks of perishable goods incoming.

poo poo happens. And you know what? I'm happy to do the work and make that money. When you're lucky to break thirty hours a week, hitting OT is mana from heaven. I still got poo poo when I declined more work after pulling thirteen hours, but, you know. Retail.

What I don't like is the blatant exploitation of salaried workers. Goddamn retail managers are some of the most abused people in any industry and it just has a series of knock-on effects that are not only bad for the person being exploited, but undermine profits.

And that's the kicker. lovely labor practices result in losses that are hard to quantify on paper, whereas someone sitting in an office sees 'hm labor cost go up, bad' and pounds the button that puts a boot up the rear end of someone struggling to get their work done. And then the work doesn't get done, product is unsold or discarded, shrink goes up, and labor is cut more.

Edit: Here's an example of some stupid poo poo from yesterday because I'm not done complaining.

My job's prescription RX plan decided to fight me, again. Because of that and another problem, I had to go into work with an unmedicated neurological disorder.

Which was fun. Really. It was great.

I got gently caress all done. Things were accomplished, but I was dragging rear end all day and not nearly as productive as usual. I can go like a methed up locomotive when I'm drugged up, work nine hours on my feet without a break, etc. Yesterday? I just wanted to die. All day. Vacantly waiting for death.

All because after a year of paying for the medication the company's RX plan decided that no, actually, the pharmacy I was using ( which is in their network ) isn't good enough. I must go to a pharmacy owned directly by my employer because gently caress you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 17, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Still thinking of the time I got pneumonia and how it could have destroyed my life if I was on my own.

Four weeks out of work, no insurance, no sick pay.

It makes me make the same face my avatar do.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My favorite part about my lovely job is how it expressly forbids me from having another job in the field for which I have the most experience and demands an open schedule. Makes working a second job real loving hard!

It's OK though, because thanks to the power of the free market I can quit and get another retail job at a store that'll also not schedule me anything close to full-time hours and will forbid me from working at another store while demanding full availability and

CainFortea posted:

yea, in the 8 months I worked at stream I pissed in a cup twice. No drills, no forklifts. The heaviest thing I picked up was a keyboard.

Most drug testing is just purestrain puritanical "work ethic"

Most of the times I see people doing it, it's to gently caress with people boomers don't like, or because one guy hosed up but they have to do it 'randomly' in order to get rid of the guy who comes to work smelling like weed and is a colossal moron.

I know people who drive trucks who have to end up filling dick-see cups all the time tho. Truckers probably fill more cups than loving Coors.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hang on, your employment contract forbids you from working another job in the same industry during your off hours? How on loving earth is this legal? Is it structured as a non-compete, or ???

Grocery stores have a pseudo non-compete, yes. Think of all the company or store secrets you might spill. Think of how the customer might feel when they realize you also work for the competition.

This doesn't forbid you from working all retail, mind. Just similar stores, or stores that sell similar products. Of course, big box stores and grocery stores have a lot of overlap these days so

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hey Shima, I'm getting Arma 3 to play co-op and co-op mods with a friend. Which of the DLCs are worth it?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Been playing Graveyard Keeper a lot lately. Reset one game because everything got too messy and literally deleting my grave farm was better than fussing with it all.

It's messy again.

Things I like:

-Big titty goth Harvest Moon.
-There's no clock like Stardew so the only thing making you sweat is your own sense of inefficiency, which is less of a problem if you aren't half-German and OCD and more of a problem if you're me.
-Research system is interesting, if flawed.
-Zombies serving as a means to help you automate shittier things.
-Experimenting with alchemy and figuring things out.
-Day length feels just right.
-Humor's alright.
-Pounding food to stay up for days hell yeah
-Fast tool upgrades

Things I don't like:

-Despite lack of clock, easy to feel as if you're 'falling behind' due to the quests you get and how it seems like you're trying to play catch-up a lot. This is probably aggravated by my ADHD and inability to plan effectively along multiple tracks at the same time idk.
-Chests are small for the amount of items you get. So many goddamn items.
-Some of the fences and item placements ( especially in the garden and graveyard ) aren't well thought-out and get really annoying to navigate, especially as more items get placed down.
-Not being able to cook stacks of items that have quality ingredients. ~gently caress you fix this~
-Goop shouldn't be an item. We really don't need more items to clog up our inventory. My alchemy lab is an organizational nightmare of multi-color science jizz.
-Why can't all body parts stack I've got so many hearts and brains and GI tracts
-Very much one of those games where you learn by doing and it might not be clear that the thing you need to unlock one quest will be unlocked by doing another.
-I really wish it were easier to move workbenches and poo poo around after making them.

And yeah it's still the only game aside from Stardew Valley to scratch that particular itch.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Hey nerds, Ubisoft is doing a big rear end sale wherein you can get the Super Ultra Ultimate Omega Turbo 64 edition of Division 2 for a whopping $18. That's down from $120

Nggggggggggh. That's tempting but I also don't really need more game in my life atm and they axed the best mode.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Div1 was really fun and had an astonishingly detailed world and I probably would have caved and bought Div2 on launch if it had been on Steam, but... I remember enough of the headaches from Div1 that making the step to Ubisoft for Div2 is a big enough barrier to my impulse control.

And while I like Destiny 2 a fair amount ( despite taking a sanity break after spending a lot of time on it ), I'll also pass on D3 if they don't implement better access to lategame content for people outside of clans. They seem to be working on that now, but it's real slow. I'm fine with not every raid being accessible or doable with randos if you have to have puzzles and poo poo in them, but come the gently caress on. There's a whole big portion of the game I just can't do.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

There's a sequel to Enter the Gungeon coming out called Exit the Gungeon.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I always find it funny when you're playing a terrible person doing terrible things but a game or a studio tries to prevent or otherwise castigate you for doing a thing that is by their hand a possibility in the loving game.

No One Lives Forever was the exception to this. Unacceptable Simian Casualties.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Having a bad day: bad.

Trying Arma 3 for the first time: mildly bad.

Hitting a helicopter on my first shot with an RPG-7 at a good 1000 meters:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Played Arma 3 for the first time the other day, Overthrow mod. We were just loving around with it to see if it would even work and tried it out on Malden. Lotta dead space in that mod, but it was kind of amusing. Less amusing was getting suddenly rained on by explosions in the middle of a field ( more than once ) and panicking, trying to figure out where the poo poo was coming from.

Also I made the mistake of spawning myself an M-14 from a DLC and the game was really mad about that

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

"Debate me you coward" I shout with my pants around my ankles as the police drag me away from the daycare

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Friend, cautiously driving forward into a town: "We just hit a load zone so some stuff probably spawned in."

Me: "Yeah, guess so... but it seems kind of empty."

Our jeep gets RPG'd from an alley we pass by one minute later, ten guys run out and start sweeping their weapons in every direction

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

Most interesting review I heard of Borderlands 3 was "I have to play the game on mute because the dialogue was written by a meme obsessed 13 year old and it never stops"

These are people who watched like Invader Zim and thought 'this is a sustainable level of energy for hours on end'. Also people that don't understand the difference between 'random' and 'absurdist' probably

There were moments of BL2 where the humor was good but it mostly was not. And Gearbox's CEO is a huge turd of a man.

Edit: More dumb Arma poo poo. Me and a friend, me in the gunner seat of a HUMVEE-looking thing with an RPG at the ready in case we encountered OPFORD while driving around. We stop outside of a base. He takes out his binoculars and starts looking around. Makes a plan.

"Alright, get out."

My dumb rear end: 'Is it left click, or spacebar to make selections on the action menu? Mmmmm...'

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 30, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

That's kind of why GeForce Now has my attention in ways that Stadia utterly does not. The idea of being able to play games outside my range? That might actually get me interested in triple-A titles and other bombastic spectacles if I can just jack the graphics up and balk at that poo poo.

And it's all my own, owned property. If I leave, well. I still have the ( digital ) stuff.

Stadia being launched as a console of sorts, but also not, and having a frankly awful media rights system is a big-drat 'gently caress off' from me. If it had been more like Geforce Now? I'd have been maybe interested.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I have keys for:

Shadow of War
Two Points Hospital
Street Fighter V

I'll give them out via Steam whenever I get back from work.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I am Regrettable Decisions, and I sent my invites out. Accept invite, get code whenever I remember ( probably tonight ).

And I have Street Fighter 5, still, if anyone wants that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Slay the Spire is cool and good and I'm bummed there aren't more strategic card games of a similar vein. The cards are all pretty balanced, and building a deck is fun.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

Aren't there like dozens of deckbuilder roguelikes now? I thought that market got swarmed shortly after Slay the Spire came out.

They typically aren't as good or as polished and there are very few that I've seen that do something neat with the concept ( like Slay ).

There was game where you play as rats building a city with cards being played as defense/to build things and I thought 'wow that's cool' but apparently it boils down to having or not having a few different cards.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hunt Showdown ( which I haven't played in forever ) had a really good HUD and probably my favorite. Everything you need to play the game? Right there on the screen, nothing to distract you from spotting enemies.

Navigation? No. No mini-map to distract you. What you did have was a map that you could quickly open and close that would show you exactly where you were.

Objectives were often displayed through visual cues, including a 'sight' that you could activate briefly that would, for instance, show bolts of lighting that pointed at objectives, or showed a flickering light where a clue was.

And the map was so well designed that after you played for a while? You could tell where you were going through landmarks alone, and you mostly just used the map to get your bearings.

So loving good.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The water devils are about when I left. It was a good game, I put around three hundred hours into it, and bounced when development stagnated. And now I'm intimidated by the idea of going back but it's a good enough game that I might.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

You can ( or could ) in Hunt use just a 36 dollar pistol and a machete with a tier 1 hunter and sweep the board solo.

It's a flawed game, but also one of my favorite PvP experiences in the past 5 years because of the tactical dimension it added to combat absent of games typical for the genre. This was not always the case in Hunt, and guns like the Avtovat and Nitro were MISTAKES but there was, at every moment, a great sense of accomplishment whenever you outsmarted or tricked someone with a massively superior build and won.

On the other hand, getting killed by someone who sat on a clue for the entire game; not so much.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thought you were kidding. Can't not buy Div2 for 3 dollars.

Edit:

Remember when Warhammer games were good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhqWHIq-aZw

Remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

loving drat it. At this point I'll settle for Beat Saber except you're a Black Templar and all the blocks are heretics.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 12, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

It was a tempting offer until I discovered it was for XBone/Live. Also the Swedish Live store has it for $10 due to regional pricing.

I bought the PC version for 3 dollars. I'm mostly annoyed I can't buy a few keys for friends and only seem able to buy it for myself.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Any game that has you flying a garage restored F-104 and expecting to live just seems too unrealistic imo

It's nice that to this day, Lockheed is keeping up the proud tradition of killing pilots foreign and domestic with aircraft of questionable design and dubious worth.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My only complaint with the Ace Combat games is that they're a little repetitive. Otherwise? They're good. They won't blow your balls off but if you're a military plane junkie then it's impossible not to have fun.

The best one was Ace Combat Zero. It had an interesting if slightly unintuitive story mechanic that was inventive and probably the best use of FMVs I've seen in a long time.

Then there was the dumb lovely one with the 'dogfight' QTEs

Now they're good again.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Psion posted:

*runs in the thread*

re: country name chat, without looking, is Osea, Usea, or Erusia the united states? The names are all dumb. That's part of the, um, charm? Yes. Charm. I'll just spoil this one for everyone: Emmeria is Strangereal Canada. An entire game was set there, and Emmeria is still irrelevant.

You could say

it's

Emmerterial

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

A sleeper cell of terrorists True Patriots waiting for the right moment to strike and establish control of major cities in the midst of a disaster would usually be the bad guys in most stories

Except in The Div my lady was just handing out food to starving people and petting dogs and shooting at dicks. The most unbelievable part of The Division is that it's the sanitation department and not the police officers that went on a murder spree to cleanse the streets.

I'm glad the dogs were invulnerable or something because any game where I can accidentally kill dogs is bad.

I was playing GTA5 without realizing dogs were in the game, took a shortcut through a park and the moment I had a terrible realization of 'oh dogs exist' was the same moment I hit one and made a sound like Stan from American Dad when he's caught doing stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can absolutely kill the dogs in the division.

Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of me not wanting to https://twitter.com/Karmaa_itself/status/1225809565125685249?s=20

All in all I didn't really care about the main story of The Division, but all the side plot / background stuff / storytelling through scenery was really good. If they actually bring back Survival for that NYC thing they're doing I might actually buy it.

Gotta download the drat game eventually.