Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 story lately, after spending almost a month in Online.

It's good and you get to do stuff like feed klansmen to alligators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

I know it's tempting to kill the klansmen, but don't, let their scenarios play out, they're incredibly inept.

My first one had the guy catching on fire. After they a ran I chased down the dude in the black robe and tossed him to the Gators.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Also I was the only person who voted to let the woman run off with the nicer, younger, less creepy man. Sometimes you yeehaw, sometimes you yeenaw.

I went with young guy the first time, and old guy the second time so I could get my bad boy points to get the evil story missions.

R* has made it annoyingly hard to stay evil in this game when any manner of horse care makes you go from Literally Hitler to Gandhi in 3 seconds flat.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've just been getting on a roof in Saint Denis and murdering cops.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I bought my Switch when I was at my old job and travelling more, and it was great. Now that my commute to work is a ten minute walk, and my work trips are a limited to a 1-2 hour drive once or twice a year, it hardly gets used.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dammit I lost my RDRO daily streak. Was at 37 days and must have just forgotten yesterday.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

That moment when you get a fully upgraded AUG with long barrel, V4 grip and a big scope making it the best long range AR in the game with the lowest bullet drop of them. Needing just a single bullet to kill any non alerted enemy.

Not to poo poo on your dreams, but non-alerted enemies go down in 1 bullet from anything in wildlands if I remember right.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Was Wildlands 2 any good?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

They need to make a new No One Lives Forever.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Action-Bastard posted:

Well I needed a new horse since the last one died. So I tried bushwacking strangers along the side of the road but their horses kept bolting off out of sight, finally I got caught and thought I'd steal a lawman horse but they killed me and I respawned next to some random horse and that's been my horse since.

I still haven't unlocked the horse vendor, what mission unlocks that?

Look up how to get the white Arabian. It's by a lake up north and is pretty much the best horse in game.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

My only problem with the Saint Denis tailor is the drat Woman's Suffrage lady outside. I wish they had muted her audio when you are inside so I don't have to hear the same 3 voice lines over and over again.

Her and the Eugenics guy have both become gator food repeatedly.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Despite my misgivings, I got Wildlands: Breakpoint.

It was a mistake. I paid $20, so I'll probably get that back out of it. It feels like they took 90% of the fun from Wildlands and hucked it in the trash for Division Light.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Death 2 tired loot and arbitrary score numbers

This is really it for me. I loved GRW because it felt like The Division without bullet sponges or RPG weapons. I don't know why they felt the need to introduce that.

Just let me run around with my MP5 and M700 like a true operator.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Are you kidding me. I can't refund a game I bought on uPlay?

loving Ubi.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

So rather than refund Breakpoint I stuck it out.

Things I like:
Sneaky sneaky kill kill is as good as it was in Wildlands
Tactical Barbie game is still decent
Enemies are more challenging

Things I don't like:
I miss the gun system from Wildlands. I get that the new one is intended to keep you playing longer, but it just feels lame in a GR game
The AI can be downright stupid some (most of) the time
Bugs. So many bugs.

At $20, I got my money out of it. I'd be loving pissed if I paid full price for this though.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

You need to get Henry good at fighting ASAP. I'm going to suggest making the mace your best weapon, they're good against armored or unarmored opponents. Hit people in the head with them, they go down quick.

The enemy AI rewards kiting them to death, avoid 3 on 1 or worse odds like the very devil.

If you get the Tournament DLC, and you should, you can get a lot of practice to make your numbers bigger. Also do a lot of training with Capt. Bernard, it's worth the time to heal up after a full contact bout. You'll need to be competent with maces, swords, and axes to do well. I never actually won, but the experience was essential.

I sucked at weapon combos and beat the game, and lots of bandits, anyway. If you get good at them, you've effectively lowered the difficulty level to Easy.

Poaching rabbits and deer helps level your bow skills and makes good money. Cook the meat at a fire to remove the 'stolen' tag. Level up Hunting to get more value out of each carcass.

Directly related to the above, the most valuable attribute in a horse is its carrying capacity. Also get good saddlebags and level your Strength, more loot equals more money. The horse trader is in Neuhoff, NE of Rattay.

Speaking of money, when you start getting side missions to clean out bandit camps it's about time to start the From The Ashes DLC. You'll need about 100k groschen to rebuild the town. The Band Of Bastards DLC has a huge pile of cash in the final battle, which will get you started nicely. You'll want Speech leveled for that.

Armor up and make sure your weapons are equipped before doing Fast Travel.

Learn the recipes for Savior Schnapps and Aquae Vitalis early. The one is required to save without sleeping in your own bed, and the AV reduces damage taken by 50%.

Carry bandages, and plenty of 'em.

Don't give up on Sir Capon.

It's ok to just wander around in the woods. I grew up in very similar country and got a lot of childhood nostalgia out of how everything looked.

Checking the wikis for tricky missions is ok, some of the requirements for success can be obnoxiously particular.

Having your character learn the master strike (parry) for their chosen weapon will make killing everyone much easier. I beat the tournament almost entirely by just waiting for my opponent to swing and then doing a riposte or whatever where you block and then smack them in the face.

Also, before you leave the first village you can go pick all the herbs around town for a decent buff to some stats and some early skill points and starting cash.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I got to like, lvl 100 in RDRO before I touched the story, and honestly it made the story so much better to me. The world felt way more interesting and alive, and I wasn't getting teleported into a herd of burning mountain lions every 3 minutes.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm still annoyed that Division 2 randomly changed the way my character looks with no way to fix it.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

You just need a narrative hook, even a tiny one, to tell the player who they are, what this universe is, and why they should give a gently caress.

That's the thing about elite. It just feels so . . . . empty. Like, I have no loving clue who these pirates are that I'm blowing up or who these people are that I'm killing them for are. It somehow has a thinner plot that Super Mario Bros. In that you're Mario. There's a princess. A dinosaur has her in a castle. I guess you stomp on turtles to get there? K.

It doesn't need to be a giant space opera, but just give me SOMETHING.

Elite was always best described as "Mile wide, Inch deep".

They tried to add an ongoing plot with the whole Power Play thing but it was kind of a wet fart from my perspective. Goons ran a decent org in Diamond Frogs when I played, and we did a good job of pissing people off as-is tradition.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh yeah the FALs in Div 2 are all automatic, they're just kinda... shrug unfortunately Unless they got a big boost to stability and accuracy that is.

They also sound anemic. Like, make that poo poo sound like the AR-10's do.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I mean, the epilogue is also a good spot for that.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Did they ever do the loot rework in Div2? How is it?

I want to get either the expansion for Div2 or Animal Crossing and I can't decide. I feel like Animal Crossing might be better for my mental health right now.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wait did they get rid of all the tiered loot stuff?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

Yeah both PCs I've had have preferred having the RAM in alternating slots (1 and 3, or 2 and 4) in order to properly dual channel it.

They're usually numbered/colored for this but yeah, most mobo manufacturers stagger slots for each channel.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Used to work for a component mfgr. There's no easy way to test for ESD. If something comes back as DOA we generally just took it unless there was obvious damage. There's no easy way to tell what caused the failure. Most mfgr's just spot-test product on the way out the door so there's no "Well it worked when we sent it!" they can fall back on.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

They fixed Ghost Recon: Breakpoint to remove the RPG stuff if you want. Now if I could do the same in Division it'd be neat as well. Just wandering NYC and DC with whatever looks cool.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It's hard because any gun forum on a long enough time line will attract lovely people (read: Nazi's) if you are too open/accessible.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

From the Escape from Tarkov reddit, "to the person I killed on reserve a few minutes ago... I have many questions"

This is pretty much what late-wipe Tarkov is. People start running silly guns because they have tons of money. I'm running this monstrosity sometimes:

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I played the gently caress out of X2 and X3. It makes me sad that they screwed up with X4.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm still playing the hell out of EFT. I think it's probably the new record holder for most hours played for me, beating out GTA:O at 1k hours.

It's late-wipe so I have tons of money and gear, and I'm still just slow-rolling night maps with a suppressed AKS-74U as god intended.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

EFT might be the one game that I bounced off the hardest. Don't get me wrong - more power to you for enjoying it, keep having fun with your thing. But me? Jesus, just so many decisions that seemed not about being some kind of hard core shooter, but being obtuse for obtuseness's sake. Like, not having exit points listed on the in-game map. I get wanting players to discover them, but then just leave a permanent market on their in-game map. It's not like the in-game map is exactly convenient to use either. gently caress, or sell versions of that map with the exits marked in the market.

When I found myself playing with a jpeg map on an ipad I had set up near my computer I realized it wasn't for me and bounced. I think I got about 4 hours out of my $50.

Yeah, there's definitely some lovely decisions made for the sake of making it unfun, and the developer has a history of listening to whiny streamers, to the detriment of non-streamers. I figure they'll eventually make it not fun for me and I want to get my mileage now.

Map knowledge is huge in Tarkov, as well. Like, being able to hear a dude walking across broken glass in a 3 story building and knowing where in the building he is, and what paths he/you can take to either avoid or kill one another.

Tarkov is a super unique game, and it definitely has a vertical learning curve and is not for everyone. They made a huge push on Twitch a few months ago and it brought in a lot of new players, a lot of whom left pretty quickly because it wasn't what they expected. It also brought on a surge of hackers and a burgeoning RMT market, which has been frustrating for many.

My low-gear, low-effort, "Sam Fisher on Holiday" playstyle means I can just slow roll maps with a Glock with a can on it and be happy, and I don't usually hit the huge fights unless I am rolling with Goons. Most times I play with Goons we all die in a stupid fashion, but it is what it is.

I really wish some other game would pick up this level of gun modding.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Does the suppressor squish down like an accordion when you bayonet someone?

The more I look at it, the more I love it. The M1 fore end, the lever-action body, and the shotgun stock (with speedfeed!) it's just... glorious.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've never played M&B before. Can someone give me the one paragraph description?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What happens if my dude dies? Can I name the various members of my band after TFR Goons?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This belongs here.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I bought Warband on my usual basis of The Rat being a man of taste and refinement. Are there any mods I should install?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sorry, I meant I actually bought Bannerlord. My bad.

Long Glaive fuckin' wrecks house. I suck with normal weapons.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

How do I get good at fighting with swords? Seems important but I just continually get loving wrecked when I try.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

First Bannerlord play through (Empire) ended prematurely because I built my army up too fast and ran out of money by trying to stay neutral.

Second Bannerlord play through (Aserai) I just went straight murder and pillage from the getgo. Joined up with the Aserai and went to war, made lots of booty. Then the war ended and I was sad. Now a new war has started and I'm happy again.

I got the mod that lets me take my whole army into hideouts. Watching 90 guys mob through a bandit hideout is my second favorite thing behind riding down fleeing enemies and sweeping their legs out from under them with my Glaive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Man! I missed the chance to name my Mercenary company Blackwater. Next game I guess.