Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Koalas March posted:

I didn't want to have to do this but gently caress it.
Jones helps run a network keeping tabs on chud and Nazi goons. I know some of those people/goons who assist in this, but I am with holding their name(s) for very obvious reasons. Jones has personally come to me with evidence of neonazis doxxing me, skoll in particular, threatening me and telling each other to do poo poo like take pictures of my house, mail me stuff etc. Whenever something heats up off-site and I might be in danger, Jones tells me. I have gigs of data sent to me by Jones whole he was collecting info on them. I've known this for a long, long time. I know which discords he is in and the people he is monitoring in those discords. I know that this info has been collecting over time was/is used to help keep the GDN chud and Nazi free.

I'm doing my best not to be really disheartened by this, but yeah. That's what I know.
Indeed. Blowing up a legit informant over cspam drama makes it actively harder to fight nazis on this site. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous but as more and more community interactions happen on discord, we rely on information from folks in those discords to help prevent planned abuse such as this. A month ago, everyone was *begging* us to do something about doxxing - this is what doing something about doxxing looks like. We don't control offsite poo poo and need folks in those spaces if we're to be anything but blind. The mod forum frequently discusses and permabans people from hateful offsite places because we want to prevent them from negatively influencing the forums. On multiple occasions I've personally done it based directly on information nazi alt accounts from PPJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

would you say you

lost the plot

Remember when mods were in here saying we're all insane and now they are mysterious quiet???

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
weird how all this drama surrounding ppj always winds up with other mods being sent in to catch the flak

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Koalas March posted:

I didn't want to have to do this but gently caress it.
Jones helps run a network keeping tabs on chud and Nazi goons. I know some of those people/goons who assist in this, but I am with holding their name(s) for very obvious reasons. Jones has personally come to me with evidence of neonazis doxxing me, skoll in particular, threatening me and telling each other to do poo poo like take pictures of my house, mail me stuff etc. Whenever something heats up off-site and I might be in danger, Jones tells me. I have gigs of data sent to me by Jones whole he was collecting info on them. I've known this for a long, long time. I know which discords he is in and the people he is monitoring in those discords. I know that this info has been collecting over time was/is used to help keep the GDN chud and Nazi free.

I'm doing my best not to be really disheartened by this, but yeah. That's what I know.

it's not about you

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This really has to be the nadir of moderation on this forum, and I've been posting here for almost 16 years

lol that those pushing back against transphobia ate permas to cover for the nazi mod.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genuinely curious about "gigs of data." Did he just take mass screenshots, like hundreds of thousands of high resolution screenshots of Discord text.

What does "collecting info" even really mean here? I can understand giving a heads up if someone is acting threatening, but I'm not sure how this translates to gigs of data.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

capitaldelendaest posted:

I appreciate you coming and talking to us a lot. Can you understand why people are reacting like this? It's part of a long line of c-spam raising concerns, being told that there is actually no problem and we all need to shut up, and then given no opportunity to get their concerns addressed. It's about a mod who has exerted power over c-spam without ever interacting with the community, and in the wake of him seeming to be involved with targeting minority members of our community on c-spam who were trying to get grievances with moderation addressed. a lot of those grievances were related to moderation coming down more harshly on cspammers, but cannot be seperated from the forums simultaneously harboring bigots in FYAD and handling them with kid gloves. And I know you were pushing to get that addressed, but again, it's part of a long line of things that have been eroding community trust. Requests for a dialouge have been met with announcements that redirect the blame back onto us, and then demand we stop discussing it! I genuinely feel gaslit!

I respect you, personally, and believe what you say. You mentioned CSPAM is jealous they don't have you as a mod- actually, yeah, in a way. We wish we had a mod who was part of our community, took our concerns seriously, and advocated for us like you do in TGRS. one of the last two people given buttons here that was actually FROM our community immediately had them taken away for probing a Nazi! You know how that looks, right?

People here don't feel heard in the slightest, and at every step we've been treated like we have no right to be heard. It's kind of a bummer. Again, thanks for coming to talk, I know that it can't be easy to reveal details about being put in danger, and it goes a long way to explaining why you have faith in Jones. Can you understand why others might not?

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Indeed. Blowing up a legit informant over cspam drama makes it actively harder to fight nazis on this site. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous but as more and more community interactions happen on discord, we rely on information from folks in those discords to help prevent planned abuse such as this. A month ago, everyone was *begging* us to do something about doxxing - this is what doing something about doxxing looks like. We don't control offsite poo poo and need folks in those spaces if we're to be anything but blind. The mod forum frequently discusses and permabans people from hateful offsite places because we want to prevent them from negatively influencing the forums. On multiple occasions I've personally done it based directly on information nazi alt accounts from PPJ.

He's posting as himself, how is that a legit informant

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

whats that smilie that opens the door whistling and then goes oh god and creeps back out

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

Complete lack of irony here: Try and verify stuff from this cache from sources other than him, they may have turned your agent, and prepare to invoke whatever compromise contingencies that network has.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

protecting nazis and permabanning posters actually making legitimate complaints makes it actively harder to fight nazis on this sie

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Jeff, I honestly keep waiting for these good posts to come but you keep me hanging man.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'd bet there's even more skeletons to discover!

yo if you're a mod/admin that knew about ppj's nazi associations and you've got skeletons in your closet, you should immediately step up and ban ppj and acquiesce to all of the other very reasonable requests cspam regulars have been making. you need to cut the infection off immediately because the longer this drags out, the greater the odds someone is going to stumble into your bullshit too.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Schnorkles hot hot tips for de-escalating this situation:

1.) Demod PPJ.
2.) Re-open QCS
3.) Establish a dialogue with people who have a grievances where mods and admins are active in the cpnversation and not just showing up every 48 hours to drop a smythe "WE'RE LISTENING THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT CLOSING THE THREAD NOW." Be willing to compromise. Some of this may include discussions over whether or not permabans for important members of the cspam community were actually justified, especially in light of what its done to the larger community writ large.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ogianres posted:

protecting nazis and permabanning posters actually making legitimate complaints makes it actively harder to fight nazis on this sie

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

"I hate being drafted into the posting war but sometimes the world needs heroes" -- ppj as he posts a video of a brazilian teenager getting shot in the head by a cop

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

replace the moderators with a posters soviet

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ok jeff, let's say i take your informant thing at face value.

why in the absolute gently caress is he also a mod?????

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

SpaceGoku posted:

"I hate being drafted into the posting war but sometimes the world needs heroes" -- ppj as he posts a video of a brazilian teenager getting shot in the head by a cop

Can't blow my cover, he says as he incites racial anger. Posting As himself, a mod of Something Awful, that the Admin are apparently ok with

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

We blew Party Plane Jones deep cover as
*checks notes*
Party Plane Jones

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay. Serious question time here, not sass, I swear.

Why was is so important to have an offsite spy, but nazi poo poo was allowed to continue on FYAD for a week? And then, when action was taken, those Nazi posters only ate bans, and not permas?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
oh cool so it really is just the dumbest spy ring of all time

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Schnorkles hot hot tips for de-escalating this situation:

1.) Demod PPJ.
2.) Re-open QCS
3.) Establish a dialogue with people who have a grievances where mods and admins are active in the cpnversation and not just showing up every 48 hours to drop a smythe "WE'RE LISTENING THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT CLOSING THE THREAD NOW." Be willing to compromise. Some of this may include discussions over whether or not permabans for important members of the cspam community were actually justified, especially in light of what its done to the larger community writ large.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Valleyant posted:

He's posting as himself, how is that a legit informant

Um do you have ANY idea how many Jones's there are out there????

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

*checks notes*
Party Plane Jones

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSffz_bl6zo

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

look koala, im gonna be frank i have zero idea what you're going through.

you have been subjected to a relentless stream of poo poo, and nothing you do today takes away from the fact that you have done an amazing job to weather that storm. i really hope you believe me when i tell you i truly sympathize with your pain and struggle. i understand that you have an image of PPJ from what he has done for you, and that you are holding onto that image of him, like any of us would hold onto our image of a dear friend.

we aren't your enemy, please believe me when i say that. none of this is on you. whatever PPJ did (or didn't do) is on him and him alone. just do what is necessary to take care of yourself, and only yourself.

:sympathy:

Agreed

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
haha what the gently caress

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Randi posted:

weird how yet again its some other mod coming in to UM ACTUALLY a defense that it's all totally fine and nothing to see here and not a word from the actual perpetrator, just really funny how that works

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Seriously guys, if you would just open a legitimate dialogue with us things would calm down so much

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
welp i guess im gonna eat a perma for doxxing, bye everyone

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

*checks notes*
Party Plane Jones

MY GOD HOW COULD WE HAVE MISSED THIS - the nazis as they scrub his posts but keep him on the discord

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Zoran posted:

oh cool so it really is just the dumbest spy ring of all time

making the fbi look like fuckin' geniuses here.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
PPJ operating a network of informants but he thinks that "cutout" is when you go get the information itself and cut the juicy bits out for your dossier

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
McNulty went all the way at that bordello to protect the city of Baltimore o7

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so ppj is basically a badass antihero double agent? wow cspam lookin pretty dumb rn

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Prester Jane posted:

I completely believe you, and furthermore this information makes the moderators seeming blindness to PPJ's problematic moderation now has a context which makes sense.

That said, mighty strange how event of the past few weeks have unfolded on this forum, wouldn't you say? My own (comparatively very meager) spying on Nazi offsites made it clear that there was considerable crossover between FYAD/KF.....I find it rather odd that PPJ either did not also possess this information or at least chose not to act on it/pass it on to other mods.

It suggests the information stream may not be one way, and he may have been feeding the admin bits to maintain his cover.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The correct response would have been ban him to maintain his cover and then give him a parachute account.

informants are deniable assets

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If PPJ was an informant why did he use his forums username, as a forum moderator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Broke: PPJ was a CIA op.
Woke: PPJ was a Stormfront op... or was he? A double agent! Or is he? A triple agent!

This is a lot of drama for a guy whose reaction to getting criticized was, "Lotta words," "I'M NOT A TRANSPHOBE," and then, "I definitely read this entire thread in ten minutes and gonna probate myself, byyyyyyyyyyyyye."

It's hard for me to believe this is The Most Interesting Man In The World one way or another.