Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I want to make a set up to aim a camera at some caged pets so they can be watched from a laptop running Windows 10 in another room. Wireless would be preferred.

I've tried to find something in stores, but as far as I can tell, most things seem to be mobile-based (which I absolutely don't want), security cameras (which seem a little extreme for my purposes), or IoT bullshit.

I feel like there must be some way to do this without resorting to systems with questionable privacy/security. Is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yawcam is super popular for this. If you look on Shodan you can find a ton of open weather/sailing conditions/car in garage/weed grow up/3D printer monitoring. Pretty sure it's a straight win32 app that can easily be configured with a username and password.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yawcam says it's Java-based, though. I thought Java was considered obsolete?

Also I probably didn't make it very clear, but I'm also looking for recommendations for cameras for this purpose, since I'm having trouble shopping for the purpose on my own.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You might want to ask in the RPi thread for suggestions, this kinda thing is right up their alley.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Puppy Time posted:

Yawcam says it's Java-based, though. I thought Java was considered obsolete?

Also I probably didn't make it very clear, but I'm also looking for recommendations for cameras for this purpose, since I'm having trouble shopping for the purpose on my own.

Java is not obsolete for desktop apps, though it's not very popular for making new ones. What is obsolete is Java applets on web sites; those are have been obsolete for a decade+.

ItBreathes posted:

You might want to ask in the RPi thread for suggestions, this kinda thing is right up their alley.

The RPi has an official camera add-on so I'm sure you can find a dozen "Raspberry Pi security camera" tutorials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cool, I had no idea what a Raspberry Pi was beyond "a tech thing that engineers like" so I didn't realize that'd be a good option. Thanks!