Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
make blockbuster video a subforum of cined IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CrazyLoon posted:

You'll have to forgive people for speculating this much, because after finding out that the moderation team, with full knowledge of an admin, was okay with one of their own pretending to be a nazi with other nazis in their communities, while brutally crushing leftist C-SPAM posters, and doing so in the defense of these forums (or at least one specific mod, who really thought this would make them safer and not more compromised) well...

...when something this hilariously insane is legit something that happened, I get the impression the mods and admins on this site could do just about anything tomorrow, really.

I am getting the impression now that no statement will be issued and tbh i am expecting cspam to get closed before any mods get punished or people get unbanned

I am not convinced they arent still on PPJs side. If they werent they wouldnt be trying to create accounts that cant be held accountable.

They could stop the speculation if they wanted to and they very clearly dont give a poo poo.

Edit: have to say this isnt a commentary on squizzle and LK who have both at least tried but it seems like their hands are tied here

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 9, 2020

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mocking Trump for being fat is fatshaming. It's wrong for the same reason that joking about Trump and Putin being in a homosexual relationship is wrong. It's still a staple of the Trump thread.

lmfao

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Thank you for answering!

It seems to me that the only thing that changed the situation was PPJ, which is now settled, so the original issues people were asking about can be addressed

it wasnt my statement to make, and i wasnt involved in much of what it talked about (having been a mod for like a day and a half at that pt) or id try to make my own. i can check on whats happening wrt the whole thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a dozen GBS posters terrified the Zizek-quoting boogeyman will get them: new top-level forum

politics forum with irreconcilable differences with D&D, 600 regular users, and that many again lurking/browsing after recent events: never gonna happen, stop asking

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
what's the exact justification for why the mods and admins should just get to huddle together in secret and decide on poo poo with no input after it's become clear that at least part of the team are absolutely incompetent when it comes to making decisions about how the forums should be run and by who?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Considering jokes like that are one of the first steps in getting people to accept dehumanizing others, yeah.

What's your opinion on the guard tower joke?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
why exactly, two days later, have we still heard loving NOTHING from literally anyone involved? this is completely unacceptable.

if yall were getting paid you'd be fired over this

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a dozen GBS posters terrified the Zizek-quoting boogeyman will get them: new top-level forum

politics forum with irreconcilable differences with D&D, 600 regular users, and that many again lurking/browsing after recent events: never gonna happen, stop asking

This for the mf'n win

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Squizzle posted:

it wasnt my statement to make, and i wasnt involved in much of what it talked about (having been a mod for like a day and a half at that pt) or id try to make my own. i can check on whats happening wrt the whole thing

At this point being the newest mod should give you the most power because it means you're not infected with whatever brain worm is getting passed around by them to think anything that has happened was good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

what's the exact justification for why the mods and admins should just get to huddle together in secret and decide on poo poo with no input after it's become clear that at least part of the team are absolutely incompetent when it comes to making decisions about how the forums should be run and by who?

i assume the serious answer here is that this is a webforum and no one has to actually tell us anything

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

razorrozar posted:

why exactly, two days later, have we still heard loving NOTHING from literally anyone involved? this is completely unacceptable.

The mods are protecting us from the truth and anyone who says otherwise can gently caress all the way off

i am a victim please dont criticize me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

At this point being the newest mod should give you the most power because it means you're not infected with whatever brain worm is getting passed around by them to think anything that has happened was good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mocking Trump for being fat is fatshaming. It's wrong for the same reason that joking about Trump and Putin being in a homosexual relationship is wrong. It's still a staple of the Trump thread.

Actually one of these examples is fine and the other one is liberal cringe that doesn't belong on a leftist forum.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

helsing what the gently caress is going on?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Squizzle posted:

If you do, you will likely legitimately handle this issue better than anyone else in the mod or admin team has up until now. So please, by all means.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Cerebral Bore posted:

Its no point in asking that question because the alternative will not happen any time soon.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Suplex Liberace posted:

helsing what the gently caress is going on?

Somebody please please explain the QCS accounts

Please stop police unioning us

It feels like the mods are just trying to protect their powerbase now

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Gumball Gumption posted:

People who show support to fascist ideology

even if you don't consider yourself a Nazi you're still a Nazi if you're telling jokes that depends on othering people as the punchline because

Wait this was a serious post?

I know "nazi" is a catchall term in this thread, but I think people are starting to forget what fascism is.

Anyway heres something people actually care about.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

razorrozar posted:

I dunno if it was KM who said it but apparently priority 1 after the fire was put out was to get everybody on the same page on what should be done. Which with the part time nature of "the job" well...

Also perhaps all mods dont agree with each other.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Squizzle posted:

I know, I’m not blaming you, just saying. It seems to me that most of what would have been drafted a few days ago could be posted as-is and resolve at least half of the complaints.

Not that I understand why this statement has to be so complicated, or why this can’t take the form of an admin having an open conversation instead of issuing another dead end decree. But, you know.

Maybe admins could stop going into GBS to poo poo on c-spam after getting busted hanging out with a nazi guy too, lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mirthless posted:

I am getting the impression now that no statement will be issued and tbh i am expecting cspam to get closed before any mods get punished or people get unbanned

I am not convinced they arent still on PPJs side. If they werent they wouldnt be trying to create accounts that cant be held accountable.

They could stop the speculation if they wanted to and they very clearly dont give a poo poo.

Edit: have to say this isnt a commentary on squizzle and km who have both at least tried but it seems like their hands are tied here

the qcs stuff is its own thing. from what i can tell, the details on new qcs have been hashed out and refined over a long-ish period that begins well before the ppj stuff could have been a factor. that it became outwardly visible around the same time is a coïncidence; its just a reflection of how close the new qcs is to opening up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Suplex Liberace posted:

Why dies cum love talking about Nazis so much

Squizzle posted:

gosh its a mystery

surely a six hr probation will correct the issue :thumbsup:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Serf posted:

i assume the serious answer here is that this is a webforum and no one has to actually tell us anything

I mean, I hate to say it but yeah pretty much. The mods are pretty much always going to want to have a private space to discuss moderation and policy changes or whatever without the extra noise that something like a QCS thread brings. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that people probably aren't going to get them to open up their "workspace" or whatever you want to call it to the public.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Serf posted:

One would think that they’d have some interest in traffic retention and would have some motivation to at least throw a bone to their single largest community

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Squizzle posted:

the qcs stuff is its own thing. from what i can tell, the details on new qcs have been hashed out and refined over a long-ish period that begins well before the ppj stuff could have been a factor. that it became outwardly visible around the same time is a coïncidence; its just a reflection of how close the new qcs is to opening up

Have any idea on a response timeframe?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m not even a C-SPAM poster lol, I’ve been reading the succ zone for a few weeks and that’s it

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: this is distracting from the issue at hand

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’m not even a C-SPAM poster lol, I’ve been reading the succ zone for a few weeks and that’s it

lurkers are part of the community. and should post

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, I hate to say it but yeah pretty much. The mods are pretty much always going to want to have a private space to discuss moderation and policy changes or whatever without the extra noise that something like a QCS thread brings. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that people probably aren't going to get them to open up their "workspace" or whatever you want to call it to the public.

their work space is the fourms we all post in

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Squizzle posted:

Maybe this decision needs to be reversed because it really comes across like the mods are more upset that he got caught than they are that he did something terrible.

It doesn't matter when the decision was made, we have been shown that this is a bad idea and that this team cannoy absolutely full stop CAN NOT be trusted with any kind of opacity.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Beet Wagon posted:

they don't have to let people post there, just make it visible so we can see what the gently caress is going on and people can't be punished without us knowing the real reasons why

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Serf posted:

Seconding this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

One would think that they’d have some interest in traffic retention and would have some motivation to at least throw a bone to their single largest community

doesn't sa literally lose money as it is?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

White Rock posted:

Seconding this.

lol get out

why should we be beholden to a decision-making process we're not even party to

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beet Wagon posted:

It really isn't even needed. Just some sort of acknowledgment that this was all handled very poorly, an understanding of why exactly it was handled poorly and what steps will be undertaken for remedy. They can keep the privacy, but that doesn't excuse them from no communication with the user base whatsoever other than...the utter insanity that PPJ and the mods + admin that stood by him posted lol.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

freckle posted:

squizzle answer for your crimes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Trump is revered as the ideal representative and messiah figure of their fascist ubermensch philosophy and is typically portrayed as lean and muscular in pro-trump political cartoons and propaganda. I see no problem with pointing out and mocking the hypocritical lie of this

since you clearly feel strongly about all this how do you reconcile your calls for tolerance with catching a week probe recently for saying you'd genocide every trump voter if you had the power to do so

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

razorrozar posted:

they don't have to let people post there, just make it visible so we can see what the gently caress is going on and people can't be punished without us knowing the real reasons why

Just off the top of my head that strikes me as even less likely to happen, because it would immediately result in mods having to jump back and forth between the mod forum and the inevitable qcs thread that pops up for every post suggesting or discussing a decision that people don't like.

Again, I'm anybody here is wrong to want more transparency, just that... if you're looking to be able to browse the mod forum you should probably temper your expectations. It's not something I can realistically see them doing.

e:

CrazyLoon posted:

It really isn't even needed. Just some sort of acknowledgment that this was all handled very poorly, an understanding of why exactly it was handled poorly and what steps will be undertaken for remedy. They can keep the privacy, but that doesn't excuse them from no communication with the user base whatsoever other than...the utter insanity that PPJ and the mods + admin that stood by him posted lol.

I agree that across the board the mod and admin team needs to be much better about communicating why they are changing things (or not changing things, or what's taking so long, etc.). I mean I'd also point out that I think you're probably ascribing a level of complexity to this insane 'Operation Finale' thing that doesn't really reflect what the mods knew and when, but in general yeah I agree with you.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Serf posted:

doesn't sa literally lose money as it is?

If their goal is to shrink their most active forum then why not just delete all the boards and call it a day

It’s not like the posters yukking it up with Jeffrey in the GBS thread are resuscitating the Patreon that the c-spam people have been withdrawing from