Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016
Lol, what in the....

I got to page 8 and pooff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

fwiw I agree with this; I'm a trans poster who doesn't post in the trans threads on something awful both bc I have a support network elsewhere and bc I don't want to get swept up in a bunch of drama, get targeted by offsites, etc all the time

from the beginning even my most tepid disagreements with the tgrs trans thread consensus or established cspam yelling dudes - think "that one fyad thread was lovely and indefensible and I don't even really care much if you delete the dead subforum, I just think it's farcical to believe those guys are all kiwifarms spies or something" - have been met with people thinking I'm lying about my identity to be a sinister infiltrator or sixers or w/e; saying "dickeye really is/was unnecessarily hostile to people who DON'T deserve it as well as people who do" or "crazy cloud probably shouldn't tell people to kill themselves over and over if we're trying to cultivate a culture of empathy" shouldn't put a target on your back, even though at this point I support unbanning everybody from cspam who got caught up in this poo poo because most of my ire is reserved for PPJ's (who they were categorically right about) inane spycraft and how loving terribly the mods have fumbled everything on the forums basically since FAU stepped down (FAU hosed up a lot too, but at least he seemed to cultivate dialogue rather than shutting it down, and apologize for his fuckups instead of passing the buck or disappearing entirely every time somebody got upset)

it feels terrible that people can't even criticize or question people like jeffrey or KM in relation to this stuff without feeling like they're going to be probated or banned, it sucks that all of this broke out at the worst time of year for everyone including them, it doesn't help that the site owner and only person who has power over some of its functions basically retired from actively moderating it or posting a decade ago

we're going to war with iran, I got fired this week and I live in a place where I can and have literally lost jobs because I'm trans, I want to be able to come on the forums and make fun of tromp or shitpost about dungeons & dragons without being dragged into a series of circular firing squads on a forum that's clearly mismanaged but where it now feels unsafe to even say it's mismanaged (unless you're calling out a d&d mod) lest somebody try to fight you

the forums aren't fun anymore unless you just ignore this poo poo entirely, and you can't just ignore it without abandoning them because it's spilling into every subforum rn (among other reasons, because of QCS still being closed)

also did anybody figure out why the coupons mod was giving people huge probes instantly within seconds of the ppj thread going up lol

Hey there, I'm just a filthy cis lurker, but I wanted to say I feel the same way about cspam and I'm sad that the incredibly smart people who I used to follow still haven't been restored. I hope this place can once again become the place where stranger on the internet can bullshit about dnd and yell trumo at eachother, because this is just the first week of 2020 and things are just going to keep getting dumber.

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is the kind of poo poo we don't need. I will die on this hill.

Lol, stfu spider. This is just one more step in a sensible direction that we had to drag the forums into with our hooting and hollerin. You can't keep being so naive! It's going to take 6 months or more of sustained hooting and hollerin' to get our friends back and whatever other small things we might demand.

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

Funky Britches posted:

So the excuse is incompetence?

The way I'm reading it, it's systemic anti-transparancy. It's very likely something that was decided in a thread and there is no system of site wide mod/admin only announcements to announce policy changes. It is up to the mods/admins to actively follow and note rules changes, and to top it all off the mod forum blank slates when new mods are brought on?

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

amaru_chulla posted:

Maybe you should like... work to prevent lovely mass punishments when no one knows what the hell is going on

From following squiz for years in trump thread, I know he's a p good guy. He's like a 2 day old mod, to enact huge changes you need clout and time and I would guess he has neither, yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Uh, before that. That was the avoidable one. Before that there was some drama about a bad Discord man being bad. I’m not trying to minimize it I just don’t know the details, but it wasn’t taken seriously precisely due to the tradition of studiously ignoring off-site drama.

Do you feel like it may be a problem how little documentation is being done in regards to controversies, long probes, bans and permas? Because, and I'm not targeting you or sassing, but this feels like the 3rd or 4th specific situation where you've drawn a lesson from what happened but don't seem to have any grasp of the particulars of the situation are or were, just in this thread.