Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Annointed posted:

It doesn’t seem like Ardennes is helping the mods’ case at large other than pleading ignorance.

This latest twist in the saga with the Nazi discord infiltration or whatever the gently caress it was supposed to be has kinda blind sided a lot of people.

redneck nazgul posted:

Get together with your D&D mods and figure out where you guys go from here. Hopefully it's a bit less "You can say whatever you want as long as it's only condescending".

Oh, and perma KingNastidon.

In the interest of transparency I'm leaking this very confidential film from the D&D mod discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

ThingOne posted:

Lol tomorrow we're going to wake up and discover Literally a Bird's been acting as an ISIS recruiter on twitter at this rate

The only confirmed ISIS recruiter associated with D&D is a former mod thank you very much.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Booourns posted:

to be fair i'm pretty sure ppj was elected to be a thread specific IK and not a mod and maybe people would have voted differently if they knew that they would eventually get to be mod

Nah, there is a substantial population of aggrieved D&D liberals who were really outraged that any leftist opinion was being tolerated at all. They haven't been as visible lately but they exist and really wanted someone to keep discussions in their favorite threads very narrowly focused. There was a time when the dominant complaints in QCS were about the so called "nothing matters" brigade.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Hey wait a second did me trying to kill myself lead to ppj becoming a weird ironic Nazi because of bad discords and end up finally stepping down? I mean I'm not proud of the poo poo I put LK through but that's pretty funny.

It would appear that you flapped your butterfly wings and managed to blow up half the forums, yeah.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I don't have an answer as to what more transparency looks like but we need to start a process to more transparency. All of this was caused by the mods hiding away and not being open to outside input. PPJ took advantage of the secrecy to be a piece of poo poo. FYAD got out of control because the mods wouldn't take outside input. QCS was shut down because of an attitude that its mods vs. posters. Bigots were able to harass a lot of people because the mods as a monolithic unit didn't listen.

No oversight or transparency is a problem and if you don't recognize it now I don't know what will convince you.

Regarding FYAD the general consensus from most of the mods seems to have been that it should have been shut down ages ago. When LK told me a couple weeks ago he was going to suggest making me a mod his only real heads up regarding the modforum was that there was a big debate going on about the future of FYAD and that it was a few holdouts vs. everyone else. This was compounded by the website owner being difficult to contact and not giving anyone a clear mandate to do anything. A bunch of admins ended up resigning, there was some churn in positions that I still don't fully understand, and then all of a sudden the CSPAM stuff exploded.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the poo poo that has happened but in the specific case of FYAD there were seemingly a bunch of longtime mods who recognized the problem and had been talking about it for a while, but some people at the very top were deadset against making changes.

As for the PPJ/Discord thing I am still kind of flabbergasted by that and don't know what to tell you except that it wasn't being openly discussed anywhere that I saw and a bunch of mods have now posted variations on 'what the hell is this all about?'

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to give everyone the best assumptions about FYAD but even with the best assumptions we still don't have one story about why closing FYAD took so long. There are still a lot of lingering problems with the enforcement of anti-slur and anti-bigotry rules and not knowing why FYAD took so long to close makes it even harder to discuss those problems because we don't know why things are not happening.

Edit: The idea that there were people who were holdouts for keeping it besides Lowtax makes sense from some of the other stories and is also different from when we were told the mods were all in agreement and that lowtax was the only one stopping this.

So far as I know pretty much every mod was indifferent or supportive of FYAD closing but at least one admin along with Lowtax himself were very reluctant to do so. The result was paralysis - the majority of people running the site who were in regular contact with their own users all saw how toxic FYAD was but they are totally beholden to the owner of the website, who can be difficult to get into contact with at the best of times.

joepinetree posted:

It's really hosed up that people keep trying to make this about KM and not any of the other mods or admins, and suggests an agenda that is also kind of lovely.

From her posting, it's obvious that the story that she was aware of is "PPJ is in this gaming channel that got filled up with nazis, and now he lurks there and relays info." Which is something that is actually pretty believable. If you are in a gaming related chat platform, odds are that a ton of nazi poo poo gets posted, because that is online gaming culture. Obviously PPJ wasn't sharing that he knew who Aran was, or that he thought that the best videos of gore were coming out of Brazilian police actions killing poor black people, and it's obvious that KM wouldn't have been ok with it if he did.

So enough of this poo poo. Demand more transparency from the mods, ask for reversing of permas, etc. But to keep going after KM this consistently and this exclusively is hosed up.

I can relay my own experience here. As I've previously mentioned I was the IK of CanPol when a poster publicly threatened to kill themselves and the D&D mods, in particular LK and PPJ, took point on finding people who knew that goon IRL so that they could do everything in their power to stop someone from dying. Apparently this involved reaching out to a lot of goon-adjacent discord servers and somehow that then snowballed into a fly-by-night counter intelligence operation to stop doxxing or something like that, I'm still murky on those details and staggered by the amount of bad judgement involved. But from my perspective at the time it just seemed great that the regular D&D mods spent so much time trying to help stop someone from hurting themselves. I don't know the details but I think KM's experience was similar - PPJ gave her a heads up about the nasty shitheads trying to doxx her.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

small ghost posted:

I mean it's almost certainly Smythe, Jeff or more likely both, being real. it could be LAB I guess but her general lack of involvement throughout due to real life stuff makes me doubtful. I'd laugh forever if it was somehow NYC_tattoo though, that's by far the funniest option.

To be honest, while my gossipy heart would love to know, I think the more important thing about that piece of information is for the admins to learn the lesson from this whole multi-stage debacle that endless silences followed by announcements with no discussion is a really terrible way to handle a community in uproar; mods and admins coming in to weigh in on the various poo poo-storms in a real and discursive way would have been a feisty conversation but at least it would have been a conversation.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be coy about it I just honestly am not sure of the details beyond the vague stuff I've relayed. I think the general policy is that the mod thread for serious issues gets reset every time a new person is modded so that the mods feel free to candidly discuss the previous candidate so when you come into the forum you actually only have a vague sense of what has gone on before you.

small ghost posted:

Lowtax is basically a chaos elemental at this point lol.

Honestly I don't disagree but I don't think we're going to be told, even if it's fairly obvious at this point to anyone following this debacle from the beginning. I mean, it made 0 sense to hold that entire mod discussion (or any of the recent blowups) behind closed doors to begin with, but that's what they did.

It is more like Lowtax is a Lovecraftian god slumbering in R'lyeh but his High Priests can't actually remember exactly how to translate the Necronomicon so we're all running around trying to appease his will but knowing that if he ever wakes up he'll probably just eat us first.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

Sure would be nice to have an admin or just anyone with some semblance of authority, really, that the forums could trust open a dialogue!

It sure would, but that is way beyond the power of anyone on the mod team to deal with.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Phi230 posted:

The DnD userbase needs to answer for their love of the nazi mod

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mocking Trump for being fat is fatshaming. It's wrong for the same reason that joking about Trump and Putin being in a homosexual relationship is wrong. It's still a staple of the Trump thread.

Actually one of these examples is fine and the other one is liberal cringe that doesn't belong on a leftist forum.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

helsing what the gently caress is going on?

The PPJ stuff came as a huge surprise to almost everyone so people are still getting their heads around that. The other big discussion at the moment is when to open QCS (soon) and how it should be run when it is open. Also we're kinda waiting to see who still actually wants to be a mod when the dust settles because a lot of people right now are concerned about getting doxxed or otherwise targeted.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mirthless posted:

If your friends arent Nazis or Pedophiles what are they worried about

The only times mods have been substantively doxxed we have discovered they were among the worst han beings on planet earth

Yes, only innocent people ever get stalked or harassed on the internet, a very good and reasonable take in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Offkorn posted:

Is less their baggage and more that there's quite a number of insane stalkers on the forum who think paying :10bux: means they're entitled to harass anyone who prevents them from posting (i.e. probations/bans).

Also a lot of people on offsites who think this place is the epicenter of SJW Cultural Marxism and would happily seize on any opportunity to destroy someone associated with this place.