Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

Every mod action of the last six months should be undone and the mod forum should be made public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sestze posted:

welcome back, i got worried when you got sniped

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Ha ha the GBS version of this thread is just the shittiest parts of FYAD playing pallbearer for their dead forum as they all march into a grave marked "Hating TGRS"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think PPJ is a sociopath. I just think he's a dumb piece of poo poo who enjoyed "shooting the poo poo" with casual racists. He probably thought he was genuinely doing something good by reporting the times that people in the Discord crossed a line he wasn't comfortable with. Chances are he secretly was always one of the people who disliked the fact that you can't do "off-color (read: racist/bigoted)" humor any more.

Basically, being a liberal racist piece of poo poo is not mutually exclusive with genuinely wanting to prevent the most egregious examples of people trying to threaten KM (or other posters). My guess is that he simply liked chatting with these people but realized that the other mods (and especially a mod like KM) wouldn't be cool with this. So he needed an excuse, and that excuse was "he needed to monitor them." I don't think this was some counterespionage thing where he was feeding information to the Discord people. I just think he was your typical casually bigoted white person.

:same:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

An even easier explanation is that PPJ is a standard issue liberal centrist who thinks its possible to reach across the aisle and befriend the nazis to moderate their worst impulses (while still tolerating the fact that theyre a nazi), but also believes radical leftists are the true threat to the discourse. Saying PPJ was just dumb lets them off the hook too easily. Clearly they knew what they were doing, they did it for months. Clearly they knew what was at stake, if they really did intercept doxxing attempts on KM (and if it wasnt just lies to keep KM permanently afraid and gullible). And clearly they had no problem with any of it.

I don't know if I would call it malice, its too banal for that. More like valuing keeping everything chill above all else. I bet they thought the nazis had some good jokes, so long as they didnt take them too far.

yeah this 100%

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
proposal: we should get someone to moderate the debate and discussion subforum

reality: a sentient twitter feed is given buttons and carte blanche to punish his posting enemies. he slips on a bar of soap and kramers into a den of Nazis, who invite him to play cards with them. he accepts

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

going to call out again how easily LK is calming things down - again - despite having no real power to enact the changes people are asking for

Seriously. this whole time he's been answering questions and addressing concerns, directly, and without a baseline of condescension and eye-rolling.

I know LK got passed over for admin, but that was likely due to PPJ's input, so that decision should be revisited. LK for admin

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

asecondduck posted:

SA mod staff should only be responsible for moderating behavior on the SA forums. If someone is enough of a lovely person to be lovely offsite, eventually the mask will slip on SA, and then they can be banned.

:agreed:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

LK is complicit, full stop.

Demod them along with the rest.

shut the gently caress up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CascadeBeta posted:

Tbh I think we're way off topic with the off-site stuff.

I think so much of what was problematic about how the last month has been handled can be easily fixed with more transparency and communication between the mods/admins and the user base. There's definitely a class divide between us that's interfering with creating actual meaningful change. Everything that's been done feels like the absolute barest of minimum in other to try and satisfy forum x because even though the mods/admins/whoever think they're being unreasonable and just an angry mob, they like the drama less. But that results in poo poo like what happened last night.

:agreed:

There were multiple points over the past MONTHS that this could have all been headed off (although in my opinion, uncovering this dumbshit op was extremely necessary and this was the only way it was going to happen). All it took was, I dunno, something less lovely than riling people up then posting "you get nothing, shut the gently caress up and go away" multiple times. We got the door slammed in our face a half dozen goddamn times

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

when you put a bunch of people in a room and ask them to hash out how to respond to something like this, they will inherently move to indecision.

Just see last night: Squizzle comes in around 3:30 and says "We hear your complaints and Jeffrey is working on the post to end all posts."

What did that accomplish? Nothing. Well. I mean it accomplished something in the sense that PPJ did.. whatever it was he did.

The mods having a closed door decision helps -no one- and makes any decision they come to even worse, because it was decided in a vacuum and away from the people who are feeling betrayed and concerned.

Heres a three step plan to get ahold of this quickly and easily and it could be done in literally 20-30 minutes tonight:

1.) Identify a couple of key stakeholders. Wampalord is great and speaks for c-spam and we all seem to trust him.
2.) Have a public conversation, be willing to give up a little bit in order to give the appearance of real progress.
3.) Make a couple easy and QUICK decisive actions that show that you care (again, do this IN PUBLIC), and then promise to keep a dialogue going. Reopen QCS in the next couple of days and be active.

You aren't going to make everyone happy, but ffs its better than the last 40 days of stumbling around.

co-sign

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Agreed, mod Wampa Lord

admin Lightning Knight

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

lightning knight can replace jefferey in the day to day running of the forums

jeff can presumably continue to find and replace load-bearing slurs in radium's code without playing a role in moderating the forums, which is good since he absolutely cannot be trusted with authority over human beings

a 'legit informant,' jesus christ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
*ziplines down from heli, dual-wielding the lever-action shotguns from terminator 2*
EAT A WEEK *blam*
EAT A WEEK *blam*
EAT A WEEK *blam*
EAT A WEEK *blam*

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

we just need one truly good and virtuous person of supreme intelligence and unwavering moral character to oversee everything.

i can think of one candidate that fits this bill

ders

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Freaking Crumbum posted:

we aren't children and we don't need condescending authoritarian figures deciding what is best for us and what is need-to-know only and hatching the dumbest loving schemes imaginable without anyone else getting to provide any insight

for real cspam needs to unite behind the idea that mods should be 100% transparent through every step of their process (at least w/r/t cspam actions) and that, if the mods really "want to be members of a great community full of funny, intelligent people" they need to accept that they aren't special internet cops, they're just other 30-40 year old nerds that have been given a few extra buttons on their forums gui

how the gently caress can anyone be okay with mods continuing to act like some untouchable class of super humans that owe the rest of us neither respect nor explanation

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

razorrozar posted:

Jeffrey can be funny and chill to hang out with and still be utterly poo poo at his job

feel free to keep hanging out with him but please take his job away

Yeah i he seems like a cool chill and funny guy but he needs to not have community moderation responsibilities

He could just sit back and lol at poo poo like this then

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

I like literally just said I wasn't trying to paint all of cspam as crazy lmao

Then why do you keep concern trolling about crazy posters if you're aware the stuff you're concerned about is a vanishingly tiny minority of posts

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

What other phrase would you like me to use to refer to the posters in here who went full on :tinfoil: and started demanding heads roll for imagined conspiracies, exactly?

I dunno, focus on the parts that are actually important like the rest of us??

Want me to give you tips on how to put your pants on too? try one leg at a time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BgRdMchne posted:

yeah. c-spam stands in solidarity with km and anybody talking poo poo got run out of here real quick

loving this

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

And KM resolved it by going to her community and talking to them, rather than going on a probe spree and screaming that everyone else was wrong, or stone-facedly insisting that everything was fine and there would be an announcement soon, but in the meantime gently caress off.

If PPJ had been that responsive (or had done *anything* other than deciding they were above communicating with the great unwashed masses) this would not be a clusterfuck. If Jeffrey had been that responsive it would not have been a clusterfuck.

gently caress, you know things are bad when Lowtax kramering in, banning a dozen people, then being a general agent of chaos but still listening to at least some elements of the community was one of the better responses of the last few weeks

All of this but ESPECIALLY that last paragraph cuz lmfao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Grymauch posted:

lowtax have a stroke over this yet

Horny is prohibited

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

it's truly a marvel of the world that you can live ban and blow up cspam, just offends every person possible, then gently caress off and complain on facebook and that guys in the middle of the pack in terms of mod quality

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

like a lowtax ban (especially if later reversed or at least someone else can put up the money for it since it's not a perma) is at least a funny thing to have on your rap sheet. people however aren't going to find any novelty in some rando they've never even heard of nuking their rear end with a multiple week/month probe or something

I still have fond memories of my day-1 ban from lowtax for regging and posting a thread to share the hilarious all your base flash animation I'd found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

goldmine