Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
came here to say i gave it a shot after reading the thread and was not disappointed. thought they did a good job with almost everything - just sucks that the two most unmemorable characters (to me) in the film got to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's not a bad movie, per se, it's just very derivative of a handful of exceptional movies which all took creative gambles in ways this film simply didn't.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really liked it

It’s not getting a bluray release in Australia, just dvd, which is loving bullshit Sarah

But it’s okay because I ordered the bluray from Germany 🇩🇪

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It's not a bad movie, per se, it's just very derivative of a handful of exceptional movies which all took creative gambles in ways this film simply didn't.
Agreed. It's about a cookie-cutter at this kind of movie gets, but it's competently done. Well acted by Stewart.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

And the most interesting element is restricted to the last five or ten minutes

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment; I think competently retreading familiar ground in a genre film though doesn't warrant the reaction this film received.

ephori fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 7, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

And the most interesting element is restricted to the last five or ten minutes

Yea but it's 100% worth the wait.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Has Deep Rising been recommended in here yet? Excellent follow up, maybe superior. I also think about Alien: Resurrection whenever I see this thread get bumped.

e and I thought there was a Deep Rising clone that came out about the same time, but I might be thinking of Speed 2, which I don't recommend

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

Has Deep Rising been recommended in here yet? Excellent follow up, maybe superior. I also think about Alien: Resurrection whenever I see this thread get bumped.

e and I thought there was a Deep Rising clone that came out about the same time, but I might be thinking of Speed 2, which I don't recommend

You're probably thinking of Leviathan.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a fourth Leviathan that I've never heard of?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

God, I love Deep Rising

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I haven't watched Underwater, but I'm interested in checking out some underwater horror movies, so I'm looking for recommendations. Which of The Abyss, Leviathan, and Deepstar Six are worth checking out? Or, if there's a different movie I should consider, let me know. It sounds like Underwater is a bit on the derivative side, but feel free to make a case for it too.

I watched Leviathan a while back (I'll admit to not paying that much attention), but it seemed a little too derivative of Alien (which I love) with a splash of Jaws (which I also love). I guess I was hoping for something a bit more distinct. Should I give it another shot? (I even enjoyed the MST3K episode of Lords of the Deep, as silly as it was.) In particular, can anyone point out an aspect of Leviathan that really makes it work? Or should I try one of the others, or even a book?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DorianGravy posted:

I haven't watched Underwater, but I'm interested in checking out some underwater horror movies, so I'm looking for recommendations. Which of The Abyss, Leviathan, and Deepstar Six are worth checking out? Or, if there's a different movie I should consider, let me know. It sounds like Underwater is a bit on the derivative side, but feel free to make a case for it too.

Underwater is easily the best underwater horror film (and arguably the best horror film to be set entirely in the ocean at all).

There isn’t much competition. The Abyss is about on par, and maybe a little better - but it isn’t a horror movie.

Leviathan and Deep Star Six are its closest rivals, but are both very mediocre. Neither is as good as Virus (the Jaime Lee Curtis boat movie).

Everything else I’ve encountered just sucks out loud.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Underwater is easily the best underwater horror film (and arguably the best horror film to be set entirely in the ocean at all).

There isn’t much competition. The Abyss is about on par, and maybe a little better - but it isn’t a horror movie.

Leviathan and Deep Star Six are its closest rivals, but are both very mediocre. Neither is as good as Virus (the Jaime Lee Curtis boat movie).

Everything else I’ve encountered just sucks out loud.

Deep Rising, however, whips rear end

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gotta voice my love for deep blue sea, still the second best shark movie

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yeah; there are still some decent ones out there.

(I recommend the obscure TV movie Shark Of Darkness, which is a mockumentary/slasher hybrid about a giant shark.)

But that brings us further away from the extreme deep-sea alien horror and more into Jaws territory.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I do love Jaws (and I have a soft spot for Deep Blue Sea too), but shark movies are really a different thing. I think the sci-fi elements of underwater monster movies appeal to me. I'll take a look at Underwater and Deep Rising, so thanks for the suggestions!

I forgot to mention Sphere in my first post. I'm actually not sure if there's a creature in that one. Is it worth checking out?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DorianGravy posted:

I do love Jaws (and I have a soft spot for Deep Blue Sea too), but shark movies are really a different thing. I think the sci-fi elements of underwater monster movies appeal to me. I'll take a look at Underwater and Deep Rising, so thanks for the suggestions!

I forgot to mention Sphere in my first post. I'm actually not sure if there's a creature in that one. Is it worth checking out?

Sphere is hammy and much more sci-fi than horror but there are some real creepy moments. I have a soft spot for it. Ending is wack but the middle has some great thrills and chills (and yes there are creatures)

Definitely also watch Underwater and The Abyss. The latter has no horror but is an amazing underwater film anyway.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 8, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deep Rising, Virus, Ghost Ship, and Event Horizon are all the same movie, but all four are worth watching for their own reasons.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

I watched Leviathan a while back (I'll admit to not paying that much attention), but it seemed a little too derivative of Alien (which I love) with a splash of Jaws (which I also love). I guess I was hoping for something a bit more distinct. Should I give it another shot? (I even enjoyed the MST3K episode of Lords of the Deep, as silly as it was.) In particular, can anyone point out an aspect of Leviathan that really makes it work? Or should I try one of the others, or even a book?

The Abyss is far superior to pretty much any movie you mention here except Alien

e although no, it's not a horror movie, more sci-fi fantasy

e2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Virus! I was thinking of Virus. That movie rules. Gah, I'll never forget the robot punching through that dude

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 8, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Deep Rising, however, whips rear end

Up until the producers realized they were out of money and had to rush the final boss scene using the alpha production models. It was one of the first projects handled by Blur Studios, who went on to do a huge chunk of video game CGI and the opening credits of the first Deadpool movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A surprising amount of that movie was "We'll fix it in post!" and then never fixed. Still, neat film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was ok. Hey look its the night fox!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I do want to point out that building an actual drill site at the bottom of the ocean is a pretty dumb idea when you could do everything from the surface just fine but whateva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just finished watching Underwater, and I really enjoyed it. Getting stuck at the bottom of the ocean, a little disoriented in the darkness and worrying about oxygen are terrifying thoughts even without everything else!

A minor nitpick: The humor in the beginning fell flat for me. Sure, losing that sense of humor halfway through the movie helps drive home their increasingly desperate situation, but it just felt out of place.

The ending: I liked that multiple characters survived. About 3/4ths of the way through, it was starting to feel like the sort of movie where everyone would die. I was especially worried for Emily, since she was the one most scared of going in the water in the first place, and dying at the bottom of the ocean sounds awful. So I'm glad she made it. Also, I'm always amazed how few safeguards are put in place to prevent self-destruct sequences. Like, when designing a place like this, maybe you shouldn't let anyone at a computer terminal blow up the whole station with a few button presses? Of course, it worked out this time, so what do I know.

Anyway, good movie.