Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

A4R8 posted:

This film is easily the most competent, theatrically released creature feature I have seen in years. What a ride.

The production values, camera shots, and cinematography are top-notch here. The characters behaved believably in the situations they were in. The voice-over in the beginning tying into the end was a nice touch, and I greatly appreciated the anti-corporate message in an era of belligerent, late capitalism. Lovecraftian creature designs are always unnerving in the best way.

Highly recommend this - it’s great escapism.

I agree with this 100%. I absolutely don’t understand the poor reviews. This movie was so well executed, didn’t overstay it’s welcome, and had a fantastic pace from start to finish. This was the biggest surprise for me in a long time. I had seriously low expectations after all the reviews and kept waiting for the movie to suddenly nosedive and it never happened. It’s ‘just’ a monster movie, but just so well executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It's not a bad movie, per se, it's just very derivative of a handful of exceptional movies which all took creative gambles in ways this film simply didn't.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment; I think competently retreading familiar ground in a genre film though doesn't warrant the reaction this film received.

ephori fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 7, 2020