Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Disney/Fox posted:

Seven miles below the ocean's surface something has awakened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFWEzIVILc

A "new" sci-fi horror-thriller from William Eubank (The Signal, Love) starring Kristen Stewart, Vincent Cassel, Jessica Henwick, John Gallagher Jr. and... T.J. Miller :sigh:

That last name is possibly why I can put "new" in quotes: Underwater was shot in early 2017, right before Miller's poo poo finally blew up, and for a while it looked like it might not ever actually surface into theaters. 20th Century Fox seemed content to sit on it, and when they were bought up by Disney, the film's fate seemed sealed (much like The New Mutants, whose new trailer is apparently showing in front of Underwater).

Fortunately, Underwater wasn't drowned in the cradle, and arrives in theaters (in the U.S.) this week!

-----

While the thread is mainly for discussing Underwater, feel free to talk about other undersea horror/thriller movies, as I'm sure comparisons to The Abyss, Leviathan, DeepStar Six, and the like will abound. It's definitely a setting I'd love to see more of in cinema.

Also, if you just want to talk about the deep, dark ocean in general - feel free to dive into the Ocean Science & Exploration thread over in SAL. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I managed to catch this finally. Kinda an odd movie thread when OP lives more than 2 hours from the nearest theater, I realize.

Hot drat I enjoyed this flick! I definitely have some issues here and there, but nothing to keep me from enjoying a deep-sea aqua-horror film in the year 2020. From the limited behind-the-scenes stuff I've seen so far, I'm really hoping the DVD release nets us even more. The set and costume design was great. I'd kill for a scale replica of one of the suits to put on a shelf.

Re: Captain's vs Rodrigo's, They both exploded when compromised - the blast from Rodrigo threw two of the others out of the airlock. I don't think Captain was worried about his suit exploding and killing Norah, but rather that Norah's suit would undergo the same structural strain due to pressure as his.

On the pressure front, I think the film tries to have it both ways: Rodrigo being crushed and the external shots of the rig imploding both speak to the station not being pressurized to ambient. Captain's suit being compromised from going up too quickly points more to the opposite, where station - and the hardsuits - are pressurized to ambient. In that case, they would need to bleed off that pressure as they rose or they would pop. It caught my attention when I was watching, but it wasn't enough of an issue to really bring me out of enjoying the film. :shrug:

Anyways, have some goodies from the director (via his Instagram):

quote:

We built some pretty fun hidden details in the production design for @underwatermovie . I’m a huge fan of history within texture. I’ve always been inspired the WPA arts projects during the construction of things like the Hoover drat. I love the idea, that further into the future you go, the more history your looking at.

quote:

My @underwatermovie skate deck. @jaredpurrington created this amazing piece of art for some of the sets in Underwater. It was so sick I got it printed on a skateboard!

quote:

This was Jared Purrington’s early sketch of Norah in the suit. He came up with the idea early on that the suits would have to have some sort of beacons on them so people could identify each other in the dark. So we outfitted then with little glowing radio antennas. Interesting note is that in the actual deep, radio frequencies don’t work at all, almost everything is based on sound. Hence all the creatures down there using sonar. They say if you get close to a sperm whale when it clicks it can potentially kill you with the force! Literally.

quote:

This was @based_gunman work on the suit. He took @torfrick and Jareds work and pushed it to that juicy mecha level I love! We pulled back a tiny bit from it just to be reasonable but man I love his stuff!

quote:

Space or bottom of the ocean? We had a lot of concepts going on and a ton of talented artists working on different designs and color palettes. This was an early material pass done by @ashthorp Really cool stuff... we ended up leaning less clean but these ideas were really fun to explore! The shape of the suit was initially designed by @torfrick and @jaredpurrington then @based_gunman added to it. Finally @legacyeffects had to actually build the darn things! And eventually @calumalexanderwatt did the final color pass that you see in the movie! I’ll post some of those images soon!

quote:

Finally @calumalexanderwatt s color work on the suit. We took a lot of inspiration from from industrial color palettes and font design. Calum is a master of such things! We had a lot of fun working on this beast! Actually wearing it though... that’s a different story...

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Underwater is out on disc and digital this week, so hopefully we'll get some fresh viewers in here. Following the "less than 6 months to a year" guideline for CineD, please continue to use spoiler tags for now.

Extra features for this week's includes a deleted scene, several "extended" scenes, and an alternate ending (Curious about that one, but apparently it's only included with the digital release?), all with optional commentary. There are also a couple behind-the-scenes features, as well as a film commentary from William Eubank (Director), Jared Purrington (Artist), and Phil Gawthorne (Writer).

Also, here's a neat look at some before-and-after video effects shots for the film. NOTE: THIS SHOWS SHOTS FROM THE 'BIG REVEAL' AND THE ENDING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpd58zwWYUk

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Ah, whoops - I had it as the 11th in my head, and I'd seen a few posts in the Horror Thread of people watching it this week, so I figured DVDs were moving a bit early. But yeah, it looks like it's out next week. v:shobon:v

Seeing you posting here actually just reminded me: I'm interested in the extra material and am looking forward to that, but I think the thing I'm most anxious about is whether or not the home release will have acceptable light levels. Hopefully they didn't screw with them too much between the theater and now (I suspect they didn't really do much at all, given the production history of the movie at this point), because it's already a dark movie to begin with, and I'd hate for light-level issues to plague this movie like the AvP2 or Godzilla (2014) home video releases. :ohdear: Neither of the folks who posted in the Horror Thread about seeing it just recently mentioned it being too dark though, so fingers crossed!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Behind-the-scenes footage/pre-release interview compilation. Some spoilers, obviously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCKYDJa1_8

If I had any sort of skill or ability in cosplay manufacturing, I'd be making myself one of the pressure suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Xenomrph posted:

Can anyone spoil the alternate ending?

Alternate Ending:
After Norah begins the scuttle sequence, she takes a second look at the damaged lifepod and manages to override the safety/Repair an electrical system. She jettisons to the surface.

Also, a day late sharing this tweet here, but I thought you might get a kick out of it:

https://twitter.com/superswift/status/1254499218577747969?s=19