Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006
THE VOLKSWAGEN DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I'm willing to bet based on the phrasing that they were referring to a stretch of highway in the US near the Canadian border where the same poo poo happens, because for all our differences, Canada and the US both have very similar problems when it comes to the awful legacy of settler-colonialism. I'm willing to bet you could find very similar stories in Mexico and Central America too (in that I know they exist but can't think of any specific examples at the moment).

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tribal/federal court interactions are a mess:
- Tribal court can impose sentences up to 1 year and have no sixth amendment obligations (no right to impartial jury, no right to counsel)
- Tribes can opt in to a law allowing sentences up to 3 years if they also pick up sixth amendment protections for those cases.
- Tribes can prosecute tribal members, only the US government can prosecute non-tribal members for crimes on reservation, except for some enumerated sexual crimes if tribal court also accepts sixth amendment (3 year limit still applies). The exception is a fairly new Obama era law.

There was a fairly recent US Supreme Court case about whether a guy's past <1 year domestic violence conviction in no-lawyer tribal court could be used as a predicate for a repeat offender conviction in federal court (answer is yes).

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm willing to bet based on the phrasing that they were referring to a stretch of highway in the US near the Canadian border where the same poo poo happens, because for all our differences, Canada and the US both have very similar problems when it comes to the awful legacy of settler-colonialism. I'm willing to bet you could find very similar stories in Mexico and Central America too (in that I know they exist but can't think of any specific examples at the moment).

I guess I mixed them both up in my head so I was referring to both in a way. Its terrible how there are multiple instances of generally the same thing, but yeah tribal peoples get the shaft worldwide like also the Aboriginals of Australia and British colonization of India.

«3 »