Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
HGTV and Fox News are all my mom wants to watch. Help

Fixer Upper seems fun to watch but they left the channel like 3 years ago and are making their own poo poo now. Love It or List It is gross to watch because the homeowners are so stupid and picky about their couples problems preventing them on compromising on anything. Flip or Flop... Jesus, where do I even begin?

Now please excuse me, I'm gonna go unironically watch a buncha ghost shows on the Travel Channel. :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just turn on house hunters international and enjoy tropical sights and the growing wonder if the single yoga instructor lady who somehow bought a half million dollar home's rich best friend who moved across the world with her to live in her house might be more than just a friend.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched Flip or Flop Vegas in a hotel room during a recent vacation. I definitely left the experience a dumber man.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Have a sensible chuckle at the young couple about to have their first child insist they need a house close to bars and restaurants, and lots of entertaining space because they host parties a lot.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

I watched Flip or Flop Vegas in a hotel room during a recent vacation. I definitely left the experience a dumber man.

I bet you there are people who get off to the houses full of rat poo poo.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

imagine watching cable tv lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I heard a radio ad asking me to go this seminar and then I can join the property brothers team, guess they’re looking for new people in my area. So suck it losers, I should be on TV in a few weeks with my own show!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Relayer posted:

I really wanted a french style entryway and hardwood floors *frets like crazy* also I no longer speak to my son.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Beth is a 24-year-old Climbing Instructor whose income is supplemented by sponsors*

Sam is a 29-year-old freelance artist**

They are looking to buy a $800,000.00 starter home in Portland.

*relatives

**got an inheritance

where's that one twitter account that posts a ton of these

lol that the only millennials with money are all useless trust fund kids in the bay area who are apparently all polyamorous

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
Hey guys just wanted to let you know real quick that I have children so really I am just like you

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
As much as I want to guillotine the bankers, HGTV 100% caused the financial crisis. It's sort of a chicken and the egg thing, I guess. But without HGTV and all that house-flipping insanity, I don't think the financial crisis happens. I remember watching it in 2007 and literally it was just people buying houses, putting a deck in, touching up the paint, and then selling it for like 12% profit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bollig posted:

As much as I want to guillotine the bankers, HGTV 100% caused the financial crisis. It's sort of a chicken and the egg thing, I guess. But without HGTV and all that house-flipping insanity, I don't think the financial crisis happens. I remember watching it in 2007 and literally it was just people buying houses, putting a deck in, touching up the paint, and then selling it for like 12% profit.

I feel like thats just more reflective of the climate, because once the crash hit their entire programming lineup changed and its taken a decade for the house prices and decadence on their shows to get back to what it was.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ghost Leviathan posted:

where's that one twitter account that posts a ton of these

lol that the only millennials with money are all useless trust fund kids in the bay area who are apparently all polyamorous

You have to pair up with another trust fund kid just to get by, but you also want to gently caress the losers (most of the population).

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Barudak posted:

I feel like thats just more reflective of the climate, because once the crash hit their entire programming lineup changed and its taken a decade for the house prices and decadence on their shows to get back to what it was.

definitely a chicken and the egg sitch for sure, but I think it lead rather than followed

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I loving KNEW IT

Open floor plans are poo poo.

Barudak posted:

I refuse to believe that because 90% of my viewing time on that network is screaming for someone to stop the madness and put up some walls

:respek:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I miss like the first year of History channel when they would have seven part miniseries on how people used to make barrels and shut. Then it became all Hitler. Then they added aliens. Now you got shows where people shoot like 80 alligators in the head per episode and pretend each one is gonna be the one that kills them.

All least which HGTV I get to see what backsplashes and bathroom tiles are currently in style.

I used to think reality shows were a fad that would end someday, now it's clear that cable tv has to die first.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

This week on Fixer Upper: updating a 50s split level with modern rustic charm, and homosexuality is a choice.

lol I always got strong Duggar vibes from that show.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
special bathroom just for the rear end

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Barudak posted:

Its been like that for years.

The worst part is for things like Househunters you get like a couple hundred bucks max for appearing and have to do most/all of the legwork finding the fake alternate units.

My friend's brother did it and he said that he didn't get any compensation and he was the one who gave gift cards to the owners of the other two houses.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I visit my parents, a good 40% of what they watch is HGTV. They love watching that poo poo and it drives me nuts. Their favorite parts seem to be when "these young kids" reject a good house because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reality TV is what a lot of people like, its not just a cable tv issue see youtube.

Rad-daddio posted:

lol I always got strong Duggar vibes from that show.

They love Jesus deeply and that woman's mom messed her up good by making her grow up as the only half asian person in Kansas where she was endlessly bullied.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

When I visit my parents, a good 40% of what they watch is HGTV. They love watching that poo poo and it drives me nuts. Their favorite parts seem to be when "these young kids" reject a good house because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances.

I felt like I 'd finally hit adulthood once I had managed to swap out all of my kitchen appliances for stainless ones(over a long time and a lot of Craigslist searching).

As it turns out, my awesome stainless fridge is a loving magnet for fingerprints of all kinds and it's a pain to clean. I should've gone all black.

It makes more sense to have good quality appliances with the features you want, as opposed to whatever gets realtors™ wet and hard.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

HGTV is all garbage about idiots making bad design choices, got pretty bored of it a while ago.

*mainlines A&E intervention shows about addicts and hoarders*
*changes it up with several Naked and Afraids back-to-back*

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

They’re all stainless steel if you strip the paint. :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They’re all stainless steel if you strip the paint. :colbert:

:wrong:

magnets don't stick to stainless

See also: Aluminum

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

That was one positive thing about having a stainless fridge. My wife would turn our old one into drat bulletin board. like woman, get with the calendar apps!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Burt Sexual posted:

Mrs sexual watches this, on the dvr. It’s bad fellas.

My cousin had to explain to his wife that, "no, I'm bad at saving money. . . love it or list it is not a realistic representation of how much money an early 30's couple should have floating around". They live in Vancouver and have come to the conclusion (he knew 10+ years ago before they even met, and she finally accepted reality a year ago or so) that they will never own property in that city unless one of them wins the lottery, or Canada and China go to war and the government puts Chinese Canadians into internment camps and confiscate their properties. He said they had an outright yelling match after an episode of "Love it or List it Vancouver" and the couple had very similar jobs to them, were in their early 30s as well, but for some inexplicable reason had nearly 2 million dollars to play with.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Blistex posted:

My cousin had to explain to his wife that, "no, I'm bad at saving money. . . love it or list it is not a realistic representation of how much money an early 30's couple should have floating around". They live in Vancouver and have come to the conclusion (he knew 10+ years ago before they even met, and she finally accepted reality a year ago or so) that they will never own property in that city unless one of them wins the lottery, or Canada and China go to war and the government puts Chinese Canadians into internment camps and confiscate their properties. He said they had an outright yelling match after an episode of "Love it or List it Vancouver" and the couple had very similar jobs to them, were in their early 30s as well, but for some inexplicable reason had nearly 2 million dollars to play with.

That's like SF Bay area pricing.

Are there cheaper suburbs nearby, or is that a worse option?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a lot of cheap stainless that uses magnetic alloys now.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked the Trading Spaces show episodes where they would just completely gently caress up someone's living room https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_xye7OESnc

But overall I hate these shows, they remind me of Pimp My Ride where they would install 18 monitors and a PS2 in a Dodge Neon that had transmission issues. House flippers will knock down walls and remodel a bathroom with whatever is on sale at Menard's, but leave a cistern or house trap in place.

Now, "This Old House" on the otherhand. This is the real deal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crpvmMBsd9Y

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Soon it will be shows about how to fix your apartment because landlords won't have to fix anything anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Extra Large Marge posted:

But overall I hate these shows, they remind me of Pimp My Ride where they would install 18 monitors and a PS2 in a Dodge Neon that had transmission issues. House flippers will knock down walls and remodel a bathroom with whatever is on sale at Menard's, but leave a cistern or house trap in place.

I had a random video come across my YouTube feed where someone got his hands on an old Pimp My Ride van, and apparently the secret is they didn't actually pimp said Neon wiht transmission issues, they'd get their hands ona similar Neon and pimp that for a swap.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's real bad now. I miss when it was stuff like This Old House instead of nothing but rich people house hunting and obnoxious flippers.

I miss when This Old House was about renovating an old house instead of tearing down half a building to turn it into a mansion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HGTV as an entire network isn't even half as good as a single episode of Gardener's World

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a random video come across my YouTube feed where someone got his hands on an old Pimp My Ride van, and apparently the secret is they didn't actually pimp said Neon wiht transmission issues, they'd get their hands ona similar Neon and pimp that for a swap.

Hah I saw that too, Tavarish bought it for a few hundred after it sat for 4 years, brought it back to life and gave it to another youtube car guy (hoovie's garage), who then donated it to a car museum.

It's a late 90s Dodge minivan with a 'jewelry' making station and 9 screens from 2004, it probably should have been donated to the crusher but hey, views are views.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I always hated Flip or Flop but I kind of want to go back and watch it from the start to look for cracks appearing in their marriage.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Only got one warshcloth in the whole house. I don't warsh my face, with my feet.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I miss when a show would actually show you the steps involved in doing a project, and how to do each one, so that you could learn how to do it yourself, rather than a loving fashion show for houses.

"So, now that we've spent the past ten minutes showing us shopping for a bathtub it's time to get it installed!"
*[music]Ba derp-a bing bang bong[/music] LOGO!*
"Now that the tub, plumbing tile, vanity, wiring and flooring is all installed, it's time to spend the next twenty minutes talking about colors and decorating!!"

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Iron Crowned posted:

They also don't necessarily let the owner keep everything they put in, or fix the problems with the car. They will however, add so much weight to it that the vehicle self destructs in a matter of weeks.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jay_Zombie posted:

"So, now that we’ve spent the past ten minutes showing us shopping Thanks to our friends at Lowe’s/Home Depot/etc for the bathtub it's time to get it installed!"
*[music]Ba derp-a bing bang bong[/music] LOGO!*
"Now that the tub, plumbing tile, vanity, wiring and flooring is all installed, it's time to spend the next twenty minutes talking about colors and decorating!!"