Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

naem posted:

here’s another literal shack, this one is “historic” and can only be rebuilt (not torn down), sold for $480,000

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/70924E10-66CE-11E5-B025-4C57C97BC15E

It's the original tiny house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

naem posted:

here’s another literal shack, this one is “historic” and can only be rebuilt (not torn down), sold for $480,000

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/70924E10-66CE-11E5-B025-4C57C97BC15E

Welcome to my historic crap shack assholes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bird with big dick posted:

Open floor plans are good

Same, but there are limits. Friend's wife made herself the foreman of their renovation project, and told the contractors exactly what to do. In the end their laundry room ended up being a part of their front-entrance-way-coat-room-hallway-dining-room-kitchen-sitting-room-living-room-other-hallway-den-laundry-room mess. After a few years of her trying to pretend that it was awesome, they called the contractors back and had them put in 3 walls and a door so that it didn't feel like they were living in a school gymnasium.

On the other side of the coin, here's a post from my DIY crappy construction thread.

Blistex posted:

The 1970's and 80's were a low point in decorative construction. I know hindsight is 20-20, but really, who thought that those looked good?

The only thing that was worse was the "compartment" style in the late 50's and 1960's when every house built had a million walls so that you couldn't walk more than 10 feet without hitting one. My uncle rennovated a house 5 years ago (which he just sold for 2x what he bought it for) and it was a mess. It was a typical 1000 square foot, 2 bedroom bungalo with so many walls that heating it required 2x as much energy as it should have.

Keep in mind that this was a small house, and the living room had just enough room for a sofa, one chair, a tiny coffee table and the TV. The dining room was downright claustrophobic, and the kitchen had a horrible "choke point" where the fridge door nearly touched the wall that divided it from the dining room.

When everything was opened up he found that the heat in each room was about 5x more consistant. Before you'd walk from one "roomlette" to the other and the temperature would rise or fall ~5 degrees C because air couldn't circulate properly. He also removed a ton of light fixtures because the millions of walls were no longer blocking the light. My aunt was worried that it would look like one big room, but was surprised how you can have "perceived walls" or transition points that separate rooms by just changing the flooring type, or having the ceiling change height by an inch or two. Wall colours having a subtle change with trim dividing them also helps with this perception of "another room" when really it's just one open space.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Open floor plans are good

Great if you don't mind no privacy and sound echoing throughout the entire house.

naem posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...slEnabled=true&

here’s a good example, $2.5 million for an uninhabitable shack lol

Why don't the owners hire someone to tear down the existing structure and just sell a vacant lot? Surely that would attract more buyers?

naem posted:

Not sure why they would just put this in a museum.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What are you doing in the living room or dining room that requires privacy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quit beating off in the dining room

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Privacy in the sense that someone can be having a conversation in the front room while someone is cooking in the kitchen and someone else can be in the TV room watching a show and no one is bothering each other.

But if you like living in a one room cabin, be my guest.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Quit beating off in the dining room

It's typically the room with the least fabric in it.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Great if you don't mind no privacy and sound echoing throughout the entire house.

Its like a studio apartment but bigger!

SimonCat posted:

Not sure why they would just put this in a museum.

They should ask the FBI who they contracted to haul off the unabomber shed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SimonCat posted:

Privacy in the sense that someone can be having a conversation in the front room while someone is cooking in the kitchen and someone else can be in the TV room watching a show and no one is bothering each other.

But if you like living in a one room cabin, be my guest.

That’s what the parlor and theater room and game rooms are for.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Which one is Mrs Peacock in?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Next I wanna get some land in Texas hill country and just build something cuz as a goon I really only need a bed and a desk and some acreage to shoot guns off of my deck

e: and a bunker to grow weed in

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Blistex posted:

Same, but there are limits. Friend's wife made herself the foreman of their renovation project, and told the contractors exactly what to do. In the end their laundry room ended up being a part of their front-entrance-way-coat-room-hallway-dining-room-kitchen-sitting-room-living-room-other-hallway-den-laundry-room mess. After a few years of her trying to pretend that it was awesome, they called the contractors back and had them put in 3 walls and a door so that it didn't feel like they were living in a school gymnasium.

On the other side of the coin, here's a post from my DIY crappy construction thread.

I went through to that thread and I'm dying that a few posts down you got banned for making a load-bearing drywall joke. Ban reason: mod sass. lmao

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
At one point Grover was doing hourly searches for "drywall", "insulated", and any other keywords from grover-haus. I guess he had lots of dirt on the mods, because you were not safe in any subforum.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

rap music posted:

Next I wanna get some land in Texas hill country and just build something cuz as a goon I really only need a bed and a desk and some acreage to shoot guns off of my deck

Hell yeah

This thread inspired me to watch This Old House from the 70s and 80s. Its wild watching them install all the patterned earth tone stuff that people furiously rip out now.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've only ever wanted a cute little 2br cottage somewhere pretty but have long accepted that I will die in a tiny stacked brutalist architecture apartment of the future, just like the rest of you

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

The shack is worth almost 2x the selling price. Here's a look at the inside - I like how you can't even open the front door fully because of the sofa.

​16 De Long St in Outer Mission, San Francisco

$814,500 | 2 bd • 2 https://b1iw.app.link/naGQJAJ9n3

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This is a property listing in Jackson Hole, WY, listed as "affordable housing" under a government-funded program they have there. Everybody talking about how expensive it is to live in places like Silicon Valley needs to check this poo poo out.

http://www.jhaffordablehousing.org/2038/250-West-Snow-King-Unit-7?fbclid=IwAR1PfKwnz3O3_CbzuNoapSmbBOSBC_EHPoaFCi8v7Ptjn2dB1ysBiB54e4w

quote:

Condo for sale:
- 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, 480 square feet, range, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, washer and dryer, 2 household pets allowed
- Home Price: $290,000
- Income Range: Workforce ownership unit - see eligibility requirements, below (Click the above link to see the eligibility requirements, which I'm not posting here.)

Jackson Hole loving Wyoming.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Real Talk: Open plan public spaces are fine, see: great rooms, the problem is when you sacrifice the private spaces because you don't have enough room for open public space and closed private space.

My all means do an open plan foyer/formal living/dining but you also need an informal living area like a den or a parlor.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This is a property listing in Jackson Hole, WY, listed as "affordable housing" under a government-funded program they have there. Everybody talking about how expensive it is to live in places like Silicon Valley needs to check this poo poo out.

http://www.jhaffordablehousing.org/2038/250-West-Snow-King-Unit-7?fbclid=IwAR1PfKwnz3O3_CbzuNoapSmbBOSBC_EHPoaFCi8v7Ptjn2dB1ysBiB54e4w

You get to enter a drawing too, to see if you are selected lol

They also passed a law requiring any new business to also build housing for some % of the workers because it was becoming impossible to hire people without everyone commuting in from across the mountains. The traffic was getting bad and annoying all the millionaires

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Blistex posted:

At one point Grover was doing hourly searches for "drywall", "insulated", and any other keywords from grover-haus. I guess he had lots of dirt on the mods, because you were not safe in any subforum.

There should have been an HGTV special on Groverhaus tbh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

doug fuckey posted:

ok here's what i'm envisioning:

1. create a program that 'watches' hgtv/other banal reality shows and cuts them at the already existing camera cuts. i haven't watched these shows in a while but i think that, much of the time, this would avoid clipping audio mid-sentence? I don't think there's a lot of dialog in these shows that is overlaid across multiple shots? anyway this can be stipulated to the program by just a threshold percent change in the pixels on a very short timeframe or something, idk computers but that seems like it would work. the individual 'shots' which are probably about 2-8 seconds each are dumped into a folder and renamed numerically.

2. random numbers are generated and then matched to these clip numbers, and re-assembled. the result would be something like a series of clips that make sense only on the shot level, 2-6 seconds. it'd be sort of like emulating channel-flipping. i don't know if this would be psychotic to watch or funny or weirdly pleasing

I wonder if sprinkling non sequiturs and genuinely horrible poo poo deadpan would even get caught. Like imagine the nightclub scene in American Psycho.

Yeah this breakfast nook would look just amazing with a mauve backsplash and the stools reupholstered with a preschooler’s skin. The original teak flooring would just need to be sanded and stained but we can definitely make it work, it would be a shame to just get rid of it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
been watching Home Town every so often. it seems cute. It's still more or less your average HGTV show, but the couple doing all the work seem pretty sweet. The girl has blonde hair in a short kinda pixie cut and so she's pretty fuckin' attractive to me, and the guy is kinda muscly but overweight with a big ol' beard and doesn't really stand out to me too much. Anyway, they do seem to put their all into what they do, and given how spritely the girl is, it's definitely not the worst thing on the network.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SimonCat posted:

Why don't the owners hire someone to tear down the existing structure and just sell a vacant lot? Surely that would attract more buyers?

Yeah being able to save $15k on removal costs on a $2.5m piece of land is what's important about this property.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

rap music posted:

You and everyone else and now a 3 acre parcel of scrub land is $250,000.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I wonder if sprinkling non sequiturs and genuinely horrible poo poo deadpan would even get caught. Like imagine the nightclub scene in American Psycho.

Yeah this breakfast nook would look just amazing with a mauve backsplash and the stools reupholstered with a preschooler’s skin. The original teak flooring would just need to be sanded and stained but we can definitely make it work, it would be a shame to just get rid of it.

Genuine babyhide.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Jackson Hole is a destination + playground for the actual ultra-rich so nothing about this should be remotely surprising, it just strikes most Americans as weird because it's Wyoming instead of somewhere suitably exotic like Monaco (and they're unaware of how incredibly nice that specific part of the country is)

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
HGTV is always on at the medical center I go to. Never before have I wished to get stuck with multiple needles in a timely manner to escape.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

The Grimace posted:

been watching Home Town every so often. it seems cute. It's still more or less your average HGTV show, but the couple doing all the work seem pretty sweet. The girl has blonde hair in a short kinda pixie cut and so she's pretty fuckin' attractive to me, and the guy is kinda muscly but overweight with a big ol' beard and doesn't really stand out to me too much. Anyway, they do seem to put their all into what they do, and given how spritely the girl is, it's definitely not the worst thing on the network.
It's the only show on HGTV I dont dread. They also work with reasonable budgets and dont poo poo everyrhing up with shiplap and that one goddamn gray.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LGD posted:

Jackson Hole is a destination + playground for the actual ultra-rich so nothing about this should be remotely surprising, it just strikes most Americans as weird because it's Wyoming instead of somewhere suitably exotic like Monaco (and they're unaware of how incredibly nice that specific part of the country is)

It's just south of Yellowstone and Grand Teton is five minutes away. It's some of the most beautiful land in the country out there. And the rich fucks are treating it like their private Galts' Gulch.

I went up there for the eclipse 2.5 years ago, wound up watching it from a Hoback River campground, it was tits.

Never forget to keep putting Hole on the end, the rich cunts there have tried to rename it just Jackson for years now.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Rename the town to Jackson's Butthole and see how many wealthy people will move out and what kind of people will move in

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ever wonder if the Property Brother twins swap partners? As in they bang each other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would live in Jackson's Hole if they renamed it Hillary's oval office to drive out the wealthy and down the housing prices. It's just ridiculous how beautiful it is out there. You know, except for all the rich fucks making it impossible to live within 100 miles of it for a reasonable price.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Shamino posted:

You and everyone else and now a 3 acre parcel of scrub land is $250,000.

Listen pal I’ve had family there for more than a century ok?!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Rename the town to Jackson's Butthole and see how many wealthy people will move out and what kind of people will move in

Jackasshole

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

stealie72 posted:

It's the only show on HGTV I dont dread. They also work with reasonable budgets and dont poo poo everyrhing up with shiplap and that one goddamn gray.

I also like Home Town :shobon:

I think it’s one of the only shows where house values drop into mid five figures. They seem genuinely invested in improving their town and do what looks like good work, and Ben’s furniture is lovely. Also it’s nice that the comic relief is just Ben making hilariously bad dad jokes instead of Chip being an insufferable doofus and Joanna being visibly irritated.

The show that I actually really like and find relevant to my situation as owner of a ratty Victorian is Rehab Addict, in which a no-nonsense petit blond lady expertly and respectfully unfucks ratty Victorians. There are like 4-5 episodes per house so they can go in-depth with how they’re accomplishing things and don’t waste air time handwringing over budget or numbers in general. Also she’s always dirty and disheveled so you know she’s actually doing work herself (unlike the Property Brothers who always look perfect). But this show gets shunted off to secondary DIY Network so HGTV has more space for Property Brothers, Love It or List It, and Fixer Upper reruns.

My mom keeps telling me to watch Property Brothers (aka “the one with the handsome twins”) for ideas on our house even though I’ve repeatedly said I hate open concept and gray walls and generally everything else they do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like "Holmes on Homes" and all the other Mike Holmes shows

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FCKGW posted:

Reactionary!!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FCKGW posted:

Season one was good. He'd help out people who had legit gotten screwed by contractors, and usually needed the massively subsidised help the Mike Holmes offered.
Season two and on were: "The contractor put our Italian marble tile floors in wrong. The entire floor is off by 0.003mm from end to end. Our home is no longer liveable! Please help us!" <Mike complains about contractors, says he'll make it right, we never see him again until the end of the show".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's just south of Yellowstone and Grand Teton is five minutes away. It's some of the most beautiful land in the country out there. And the rich fucks are treating it like their private Galts' Gulch.

I went up there for the eclipse 2.5 years ago, wound up watching it from a Hoback River campground, it was tits.

Never forget to keep putting Hole on the end, the rich cunts there have tried to rename it just Jackson for years now.

Harrison Ford put up a massive wall of boulders so rafters couldn't see his house from the river.