Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Iím just lazy. I have a vise at home in the garage and all the tools but I still visit my machinist or gunsmith because something unexpected always comes up that Iím not setup for. I should stop doing weirdo builds. If I didnít have kids running around Iíd probably do more gun work at home. Iím glad I have a lot of local resources.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Yea I can't imagine having a machine shop I can bring gun stuff into.

I don't even have door dash out here

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Just in time for this discussion, behold! I have (nearly) completed my first build:

This is a good example of a milspec+ build, imo. Time to source parts was 2 months (mostly it was deals and such) and I did end up buying some things I decided not to keep (the FSB shown here is not pinned, I'm opting for a JP Enterprises gas block since that requires no gunsmithing and is adjustable). Bolded items are "nice" things and bold italics are areas where I spared no expense

Trigger: ALG ACT - 65 dollars
Gas block: JP Enterprises clamp on adjustable A2 FSB - 135 dollars
Barrel: DPMS barrel on clearance, 16" with carbine gas system (hence my choice of an adjustable gas block, but I should be able to cycle everything from Tula to primo stuff) - 110 dollars plus 8 dollars for gas tube and 6 dollars for an A2 compensator
BCG: AIM surplus nitride finish - 120 dollars
Charging handle: Breek Creek arms ambi handle - 40 dollars
Upper receiver: Aero Precision Slickside upper receiver - 75 dollars
Lower receiver: Aero Precision M4E1 blemished lower receiver - 85 dollars
Furniture: Magpul MOE everything - stock 25 dollars, grip 12 dollars, handguard 25 dollars
Lower Parts Kit: Aero precision LPK (minus FCG and trigger guard) - 25 dollars
Buffer system: VLTOR A5 - 110 dollars
Rear sight: UTG A2 rear iron sight - 30 dollars

Total cost - 871 dollars, though my better build (which I have been waiting on a trigger for) will be sharing a BCG and charging handle since they're both .556/.223. You can save 50-odd dollars on a standard carbine buffer, 30 or 40 on a cheap trigger, knock off a hundred or so dollars for a simple gas block if you don't plan to use iron sights and want a floating barrel arrangement.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 23, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Very nice, and honestly very close to my latest build.

Funny you mention the JP Enterprises adjustable gas block, as I have it on mine and it's .

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Very nice, and honestly very close to my latest build.

Funny you mention the JP Enterprises adjustable gas block, as I have it on mine and it's .

Yeah at first I was like "I'll take everything that is bargain bin and throw it together while I wait on my fancy gun's trigger" and then I thought about the time and effort to drill and pin a sight block on a barrel that likely will be overgassed with normal .556 ammo and decided having a nice adjustable block and a really comfortable buffer system to make it shoot well. Then came an upgraded trigger....

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

lite_sleepr posted:

Yea I can't imagine having a machine shop I can bring gun stuff into.

I don't even have door dash out here

My local machine shop does rough machining on a multitude of parts for a few AR brands/manufacturers, so that's neat.

They also got their poo poo pushed in by OSHA after a surprise visit a few months ago, so that's neat.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

So as much as I love having a single shot at I swapped bolts, milspec vs the light weight carrier I was running and it still wouldn't cycle. Case stays in the chber with the milspec bolt.

I looked at the gas block and it looks aligned. I will have to pull the rail off though to further examine it. What should I look for?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

stgdz posted:

So as much as I love having a single shot at I swapped bolts, milspec vs the light weight carrier I was running and it still wouldn't cycle. Case stays in the chber with the milspec bolt.

I looked at the gas block and it looks aligned. I will have to pull the rail off though to further examine it. What should I look for?

Pull your BCG and see if there's any signs of aggressive wear, check for carbon around the gas block that might suggest leakage?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Can't really see anything wrong

stgdz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 25, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Gas block is snug when it is in the correct spot, right? And the tube sticks out slightly inside the upper?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Consider your extractor spring. What kind is it? Colt gold or equivalent? O-ring installed?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

The Automator posted:

Consider your extractor spring. What kind is it? Colt gold or equivalent? O-ring installed?

Two different bolt carriers though? One is a milspec from psa that has never given me a problem through a mid-length 14.5. The other is a the light weight carrier that I used for this build.

Both don't cycle the round and push the empty case back in the chamber.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

stgdz posted:

Two different bolt carriers though? One is a milspec from psa that has never given me a problem through a mid-length 14.5. The other is a the light weight carrier that I used for this build.

Both don't cycle the round and push the empty case back in the chamber.

Are you sure itís pushed in and maybe just not pulled out? Iíve had that issue with gassy guns before

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

The Automator posted:

Are you sure itís pushed in and maybe just not pulled out? Iíve had that issue with gassy guns before

When I cycle the gun with the charging handle the case ejects.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

What do the cases look like after you fire them?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Well I'm a turbo idiot
https://i.imgur.com/UZowZqI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/D1RxFZ9.jpg

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Lmao

Glad you got it figured out

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Eyyyy! Was it oriented okay or did it just have a lot of blow-by?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Eyyyy! Was it oriented okay or did it just have a lot of blow-by?

put in upside down.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm mildly impressed at this. What length was that gas tube? Almost every one I've seen have that bend so it will line up with the receiver.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So... is it theoretically possible to build a ďbolt action ARĒ by starting with a Troy PAR barrel and mounting it to a side-charging upper?

I guess what Iím asking is, are the Troy PAR barrels compatible with standard BCGs?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

infrared35 posted:

So... is it theoretically possible to build a ďbolt action ARĒ by starting with a Troy PAR barrel and mounting it to a side-charging upper?

I guess what Iím asking is, are the Troy PAR barrels compatible with standard BCGs?

Any specific reason you want the Troy barrel? White Oak makes barrels without gas ports for this type of application.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

fatman1683 posted:

Any specific reason you want the Troy barrel? White Oak makes barrels without gas ports for this type of application.

I can get one cheap. Thatís it.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I can get one cheap. Thatís it.

Yeah, the White Oak ones are $289 at Brownell's. The cheap option might be to get a regular barrel from Faxon or someone and install a low-profile gas block backwards. That should effectively seal off the gas port.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Or order from these guys. You're not the first to think about turning an AR into a bolt action. For a more gucci home-made bolt action AR, get a barrel with only the barrel extension from Lothar Walther and a side-charge upper from JP to remove the need for a gas block at all to seal the barrel.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So Primary Arms is giving 100 dollar store credits if you buy the 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle for 399. Is that a deal; is the Strike eagle as great as people claim it to be?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Blindeye posted:

So Primary Arms is giving 100 dollar store credits if you buy the 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle for 399. Is that a deal; is the Strike eagle as great as people claim it to be?

i have a 1-6x

it's pretty great and a versatile optic for the money

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One of my friends has the Strike Eagle and I thought it's pretty good the one time I looked thru it.

Another friend of mine got the Vortex Razor Gen II and the edge-to-edge clarity was pretty drat nice.

I need to check out the PST Gen II as it seems to be a good price:quality balance.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm mildly impressed at this. What length was that gas tube? Almost every one I've seen have that bend so it will line up with the receiver.
Yeah I gotta know lol, how did it actually fit upside down

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

https://kalikey.com/product/ar15-kali-key-bcg

Spotted one of these at the local range the other month too. Looks like itís mostly a modified BCG without the gas port and companion charging handle to Bolt-Action-ify a normal upper.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Don't feel bad I've done this before a few times but I was either drunk or tired or both odds were both.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I one put in a trigger backwards... twice... with people watching.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

jwang posted:

Or order from these guys. You're not the first to think about turning an AR into a bolt action. For a more gucci home-made bolt action AR, get a barrel with only the barrel extension from Lothar Walther and a side-charge upper from JP to remove the need for a gas block at all to seal the barrel.

Thatís pretty sweet; Iíve already got the barrel though. I take it they donít sell just the upper receiver and BCG as a set?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

I'm pretty sure the barrel has a specific barrel extension for the bolt itself, it's not just an AR bolt attached to a bolt action? So no, not just a bolt + receiver swap.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Bogon posted:

Don't feel bad I've done this before a few times but I was either drunk or tired or both odds were both.

Any time it's been a while since I've assembled one I tend to put them in the wrong way. Kind of like a USB plug: 50% chance, get it wrong every time.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

So I'm going to order a key arms lower from brownells. I have a timney trigger and need the rest of the bits

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/parts-kits/repair-parts-kits/ar-15-lower-gunbuilder-s-lower-parts-kit-prod65704.aspx
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...360-181670.aspx

Do I need a butt plate with the lower? It's going on an18" rifle upper. Should probably order two lowers to reduce my ffl cost.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Whatís a butt plate? You mean end plate? Most likely yes depending on the stock youíre going to use.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I assume 'key' is autocorrectese for 'KE' and OP is buying a KP-15, in which case a buttplate is included.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Whatís a butt plate? You mean end plate? Most likely yes depending on the stock youíre going to use.

The opposite end of the prying tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, finally my day to take my new build to the range and zero it. Start the adjustment of my gas block undergassed, fire my first shot.

Shell didn't eject, welp let's clear the chamber and open up the gas port.

Why is my charging handle stuck?

Why is my BCG stuck a half inch back????

I had to break my cleaning rod just to tap the shell casing back. All function checks passed but tried dry firing snap caps and wasn't getting reliable ejection. Took it home...now it ejects snap caps fine. Did a full disassmbly/reassembly of the BCG and all looks fine.

So, it's either two things: steel cased ammo hates this gun (which is a shame) or there's some kind of defect in the extractor (the BCG is brand new), right?

I already know my gas port is aligned so I could go back with it dialed way back and see how it shoots that way, but I'd rather know before taking it to the range; if it is the ammo, well, I have quite a few steel cased ammo to sell. I got it for less than half the price of any brass I have seen since COVID but I don't look forward to selling it.