Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I've heard of steel cased ammo not wanting to cycle, but getting stuck or not wanting to eject is certainly something else.

What brand of ammo were you shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Action-Bastard posted:

I've heard of steel cased ammo not wanting to cycle, but getting stuck or not wanting to eject is certainly something else.

What brand of ammo were you shooting?

TulAmmo, trash stuff. But I've had their 45 ACP and had no issues in a 1911. I have heard of steel case getting stuck if it failed to eject immediately. So undergassed while tuning the gas block plus steel case = spent shell rammed home and sticking.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Blindeye posted:

TulAmmo, trash stuff. But I've had their 45 ACP and had no issues in a 1911. I have heard of steel case getting stuck if it failed to eject immediately. So undergassed while tuning the gas block plus steel case = spent shell rammed home and sticking.

You could also have a burr or defect in your chamber that causes it to get stuck when it tries to extract, and that could be made worse by the fact you're using steel rather than brass ammo.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Blindeye posted:

It really doesn't sound like you have a serious problem. Undergassed gun with underpowered ammo means you induced a failure. The ar makes a terrible straight pull bolt action so you had to tap it out. Did you try mortaring before breaking out the rod? I bet it would have popped out.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

It really doesn't sound like you have a serious problem. Undergassed gun with underpowered ammo means you induced a failure. The ar makes a terrible straight pull bolt action so you had to tap it out. Did you try mortaring before breaking out the rod? I bet it would have popped out.

Ehh, on a public range with a young dude as an RSO and kids two bays over I didn't want people being nervous even if I had a strong idea of what happened; based on how it came out mortaring definitely would have cleared it. At least on the plus side my mechanical zero on the irons were dead on for windage; I just need to sort out the elevation when I do get this thing cycling reliably with trashy ammo (which was my intended mission).

As for a burr or defect that is very possible; the gun was thoroughly cleaned (including a chamber brush cleaning before I took it out) but I'm trying to save the 200 brass rounds I have left for my fancy gun. I'm almost 2 months into my wait for that Larue trigger that was "in stock" but is ambiguously back-ordered.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Blindeye posted:

when I do get this thing cycling reliably with trashy ammo (which was my intended mission).

If you're shooting tulammo just crank that bitch wide open.

I really don't think there's a problem with your rifle.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

If you're shooting tulammo just crank that bitch wide open.

I really don't think there's a problem with your rifle.

Guess we'll see! Like I said, half the cost of any brass I can find means if I can get this to cycle, even it shredding my BCG and barrel over time would be worth it.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Are there any braces with a similar look to a CAR15/Colt FiberLite stock? I want to do a retro build starting as a pistol before SBRing it, and I'd like to keep the aesthetic until it's officially an SBR.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Combatace posted:

Are there any braces with a similar look to a CAR15/Colt FiberLite stock? I want to do a retro build starting as a pistol before SBRing it, and I'd like to keep the aesthetic until it's officially an SBR.

I got you, fam.
https://ar180parts.com/product/n23-pistol-brace/

Be forewarned he only uses cashapp or venmo, or some nonstandard service.

E- This might be the one you need.

https://ar180parts.com/product/n1-pistol-brace/

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got you, fam.

You're the best. Thank you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Any suggestions on where to find a BA or Faxon 16" mid-weight-ish 308 barrel? I need to build this spare upper I have lying around at some point. Not in a rush, but haven't seen one in stock in a while.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got you, fam.

Yeah, the N23 one is if you're building out this.

There's a couple other Arfcommers doing plain CAR braces, but they're all hobby-makers and usually backordered.

(I'm doing an N-23, but I may go straight to a Form 1.)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Guess we'll see! Like I said, half the cost of any brass I can find means if I can get this to cycle, even it shredding my BCG and barrel over time would be worth it.

Update: range day was mostly successful. I had a few short strokes even with the gas block wide open with this steel ammo, and one double feed (GI style magazine I suspect is the culprit). I've got PMAGs that I haven't tried out yet.

The JP Enterprises gas block is a clamp-on so I was expecting a lot of windage adjustments from mechanical zero but...at 25 yards I was getting tight enough groups with no windage adjustment; the rear sight had a zero mark that I used and some elevation adjustments were needed but within 20 rounds I felt comfortable with the zero...

...but a dust storm hit the range and that meant too little visibility to set up at 50 or 100 yards. All things considered I was happy it did just fine despite the dust. It will likely need some gas block fine tuning if I switch to hotter brass ammo but as far as shooting no more issues.

Now on week 6 of waiting for my MBT-2 trigger for my nicer build....

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

As someone who deals in large volumes of commercial steel stock I can tell you that poo poo is pretty rough for raw materials everywhere. I would imagine at the volume that Larue orders steel the wait might be painful for a while.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Apprentice Dick posted:

As someone who deals in large volumes of commercial steel stock I can tell you that poo poo is pretty rough for raw materials everywhere. I would imagine at the volume that Larue orders steel the wait might be painful for a while.

Yeah; at least while I wait I have my poverty pony and steel ammo to re-learn the basics of shooting iron sights. Shooting lots of rimfire on a scoped rifle with a trigger job has spoiled me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Blindeye posted:

Now on week 6 of waiting for my MBT-2 trigger for my nicer build....
Mine (pair of mbt-2S straight bow) just switched to "complete" so salvation may be upon you.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 29, 2021

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

25 yard zero and poi at 3inches down.
4 mils up should get to 2" 25 yard zero correct?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

My LaRue triggers arrived.
And now I have 2 more ordered....

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Anyone need non-true-retro 16" pencil barrels?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/896976470

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Leftovers from the Remington/Bushmaster bankruptcy? Hmmmmmmm.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Sure, I'll try one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So basically a carbine gas lightweight profile cut to size barrel.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Speaking of barrels: Iím building a new upper and I want to try doing it in .300 AAC Blackout, but Iím not super interested in filling out and paying for two Form 1s to make a suppressed SBR.

Is a 16Ē barrel truly just a waste on .300 AAC, like some people have said, or could I in fact build a hog blaster/bush gun thatíll shoot heavy subsonics with a properly tuned gas block/bcg/spring setup?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Speaking of barrels: Iím building a new upper and I want to try doing it in .300 AAC Blackout, but Iím not super interested in filling out and paying for two Form 1s to make a suppressed SBR.

Is a 16Ē barrel truly just a waste on .300 AAC, like some people have said, or could I in fact build a hog blaster/bush gun thatíll shoot heavy subsonics with a properly tuned gas block/bcg/spring setup?

16 is somewhat working at cross-purposes if you're interested in subsonic, but you will probably be able to shoot heavy bullets, at least certain loads, subsonic without a problem as long as you aren't at too much elevation. For supersonic stuff you still gain velocity on lots of loads up to like 20 inches and maybe more, it just isn't a lot of extra velocity over a short barrel.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

glynnenstein posted:

16 is somewhat working at cross-purposes if you're interested in subsonic, but you will probably be able to shoot heavy bullets, at least certain loads, subsonic without a problem as long as you aren't at too much elevation. For supersonic stuff you still gain velocity on lots of loads up to like 20 inches and maybe more, it just isn't a lot of extra velocity over a short barrel.

I'm also interested in shooting supersonics too -- I was just wondering if both would be possible from the same barrel.

I guess the barrels aren't that expensive compared to the ATF forms and the suppressor, so getting one now and changing it later might be worth trying.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Doing the paperwork is worth it, especially if you already have a stamp planned. But you can do a pistol brace until you are ready to do the e-form 1.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

So basically a carbine gas lightweight profile cut to size barrel.
Chopping a barrel after it's been nitrided isn't the best.

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Chopping a barrel after it's been nitrided isn't the best.

Because the newly exposed end isnít nitrided, or for another reason? Just curious.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

I hunt with a 16" 300BLK rifle, but I also have an 8" pistol. What I'm saying is you should build both.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

I hunt with a 16" 300BLK rifle, but I also have an 8" pistol. What I'm saying is you should build both.

How is 300BLK for hunting? Is it sort of like a 30-30 in terms of range/effectiveness? What do you hunt for?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

From the very brief search on the internet, 300BLK can reach out a bit further than 30-30 (400y+ vs 200y). For hunting though I'd be conscious about using subsonic 300BLK as at that point it's got the similar energy as .45ACP.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

From the very brief search on the internet, 300BLK can reach out a bit further than 30-30 (400y+ vs 200y). For hunting though I'd be conscious about using subsonic 300BLK as at that point it's got the similar energy as .45ACP.

I'm not planning on any subsonic builds myself, just curious whether to go with a 6.5 grendel, wait for whatever ~7mm round is adopted by the military, or try a supersonic 300BLK build for hunting if I were to go that route.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 5, 2021

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

If you want to hunt with subsonics you really need something like .458 SOCOM. You need a heck of a lot of mass to make up for the energy that isn't there in a subsonic projectile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

300blk supers are essentially a 7.62x39.
300blk subs are essentially a 45ACP.

If shooting both from the same gun at twice the ammo cost feels like your thing get a 300blk. I'd rather use a 7.62x51 or a 45/9mm as needed.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Blindeye posted:

How is 300BLK for hunting? Is it sort of like a 30-30 in terms of range/effectiveness? What do you hunt for?
It's great for hunting. I built a CAV15 with a 16" barrel and a 1-4x scope. It's about the same as 30-30 and x39, depending on the load. I used mine for whitetail before my father's health started declining. It should be fine for any game around that size (the deer, not the old man ). I limited myself to 200yd, but it can probably reach out a bit farther. The deer I shot were well within 100yd, and the 110gr TAC-TX made quick work of them.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Blindeye posted:

I'm not planning on any subsonic builds myself

If you're not into subsonics, I don't know of any reason to go with a 300BLK. That's probably just out of ignorance though, I'd be interested to hear some.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

boxen posted:

If you're not into subsonics, I don't know of any reason to go with a 300BLK. That's probably just out of ignorance though, I'd be interested to hear some.

It's mainly in my state, you can't hunt "big game" with .556 so you would need to choose between 300BLK, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, or more exotic rounds.

Or I could give up my ambitions for a .556 AR and a hunting build and just buy a ZPAP and join the AK master race.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

boxen posted:

I think it's mostly for people who are married to the AR platform. It gives them a .30 caliber option that uses standard AR parts for pretty much everything except the barrel itself. It makes some serious compromises to achieve that, though, and I feel like it's probably not the best caliber for anything in particular.

I thought seriously about building a suppressed .300 BLK upper for home defense, but once I did the math on ammo cost, ballistics, etc., it just wasn't that much more effective than 9mm. The only real advantage was that it could be run gas-operated instead of blowback, and that was my main reason for considering it. Loading .300 BLK is expensive, even using polymer-coated lead bullets. For some reason lead .308 is more than twice as much as pistol bullets of the same weight.

I also considered .458 SOCOM, but stupid heavy bullets are stupid expensive, and they go through walls like butter. If I wanted to go boutique, I'd probably try to load .45 ACP bullets in a .450 Bushmaster case or something similarly dumb.

If adoption increases and component prices come down, and possibly one or two more companies come out with subsonic expanding .308 projectiles, I might revisit BLK. As it is, 9mm is good enough for my purpose and a lot cheaper.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Does anyone know where that Hera leather wrapped stuff is for sale? I've checked around and can't find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hm so Iím getting some pushback on .300 BLK as the caliber for my next build.

For context, I already have a 5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel, and now I have a KP-15 lower plus a billet upper/handguard combo.

Maybe I should try to build minimum-weight 3-gun AR on the KP-15? Those Faxon 14.5 barrels with integral flash hiders are out of stock everywhere, which is a bummer, but one of those $99 5.56 barrels could tide me over for the time being.

Other ideas? If you had a 5.56 and 6.5G what would you build next?