Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Hm so Iím getting some pushback on .300 BLK as the caliber for my next build.

For context, I already have a 5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel, and now I have a KP-15 lower plus a billet upper/handguard combo.

Maybe I should try to build minimum-weight 3-gun AR on the KP-15? Those Faxon 14.5 barrels with integral flash hiders are out of stock everywhere, which is a bummer, but one of those $99 5.56 barrels could tide me over for the time being.

Other ideas? If you had a 5.56 and 6.5G what would you build next?

350 Legend looks cool, and I'm pretty sure it uses standard AR parts (minus the barrel and possibly magazines).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I would build a 9mm first.

And then a .300 Blackout.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

9mm carbine, make it look like a space gun with Hera arms furniture.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Apollodorus posted:

A pistol 6.5g with a suppressor. That's what I'm doing.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Cqbr

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

I'd do a suppressed ~8in .45acp PCC using the cmmg radially delayed blowback barrel/bolt.

SBR or Pistol depending on your state's laws.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Apollodorus posted:

An AR-10 in 6.5CM.

Obviously that doesnít help you at all, but I really want one to embarrass myself with at the 1000yd range south of town.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Loucks posted:

An AR-10 in 6.5CM.

Obviously that doesnít help you at all, but I really want one to embarrass myself with at the 1000yd range south of town.

this is what I did it's a fun one

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is what I did it's a fun one
Me too, though I'm not good enough to really stretch its legs and I moved away from the nearby cheap 1k range I had before.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

Me too, though I'm not good enough to really stretch its legs and I moved away from the nearby cheap 1k range I had before.

I donít even have access to a longer than 200 yd range within like a day's drive haha

pre pando i was gonna go visit friends way out west

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

9x25 blap blap blap!

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

350 Legend looks cool, and I'm pretty sure it uses standard AR parts (minus the barrel and possibly magazines).

I also considered using .350 Legend and loading it with .357 180s. I went through kind of a wildcat phase before I just gave up and embraced the suck that is straight blowback pistol-caliber ARs.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 7, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Make a 9x39 AR no I don't care how impractical that is

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

For context, I already have a 5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel, and now I have a KP-15 lower plus a billet upper/handguard combo.

Maybe I should try to build minimum-weight 3-gun AR on the KP-15? Those Faxon 14.5 barrels with integral flash hiders are out of stock everywhere, which is a bummer, but one of those $99 5.56 barrels could tide me over for the time being.

I have a lightweight AR with a cav arms lower and its a fun handy build, and I have a 300BLK SBR with suppressor. Basically I'm saying you have great taste ignore the haters.

PCC is always a good choice, the radial delay blowback is a neat feature I wish had been available when I built mine

Comedy option get a Fite Lite belt fed upper with binary trigger

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Build what you want. I have a blast shooting my .300 blk suppressed at the range, and you probably would too.

When I started going with building my own ARs I was fortunate to not have many limitations on what I did, so I kinda built everything that seemed interesting to me and I am glad I did. In your position I would think my SBR is the next priority because short stuff is fun. My next build is SBRing a KP-15 so I can stick one of my 3 uppers on it permanently. Some people wouldn't do that for fair reasons, but I think I'm gonna be happy.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Does the KP-15 have a blank metal plate for NFA engraving? Or do NFA markings not have the same "must be on metal" requirement that serial numbers do?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Does the KP-15 have a blank metal plate for NFA engraving? Or do NFA markings not have the same "must be on metal" requirement that serial numbers do?

Only the serial has to be in metal; the magwell is the recommended location for the KP-15. I'm planning to send mine to be engraved by the shop KE Arms says has experience with this so it won't get hosed up.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Welp, coronabux have arrived (and the stupid card, let's see if they gently caress up the transfer to my bank account like they did last night), and 500 Israeli 55-grain bone-seekers have been ordered!

I should probably order that muzzle device and find someone to pin my FSB I guess.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I'm was finally able to finish my WWSD 2017/20. Just under 6lbs unloaded.

I started buying parts for this three years ago and ordered the lower 14 months ago.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I think that's the first FDE KP-15 I've seen in the wild.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I have mine but have not yet built itósee my indecision above

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I think it was worth the wait over black. I also ordered a FDE REIN the day they became available and it ended up shipping five months to the day later.

Apollodorus posted:

I have mine but have not yet built it—see my indecision above

I'd say go the WWSD route. All five of my ARs are 5.56 so I might be biased towards being a little boring.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Cage Kicker posted:

Make a 9x39 AR no I don't care how impractical that is

All I'll need is a barrel, gas system, and magazine.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

SFH1989 posted:

I'd say go the WWSD route. All five of my ARs are 5.56 so I might be biased towards being a little boring.

I do love those InRange boys, itís true. Maybe Iíll just do that (or close to it) and then convert my current 5.56 to a .300 AAC SBR later.

A shame those Faxon barrels are unobtainable these daysóhow hard is it to get a low-profile flash hider pinned and welded on a 14.5Ē barrel anyway?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hard how? On your own?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Apollodorus posted:

I do love those InRange boys, itís true. Maybe Iíll just do that (or close to it) and then convert my current 5.56 to a .300 AAC SBR later.

A shame those Faxon barrels are unobtainable these daysóhow hard is it to get a low-profile flash hider pinned and welded on a 14.5Ē barrel anyway?

Looks like a dog-simple job, if you know which end of the welder is the loud hot one. Mount your dingus, drill your hole, insert your stiff rod, weld and clean up.

More poo poo ordered - some grey parts, the duckbill, currently hoping for good news from Young Manufacturing on their next shipment of chrome non-serrated BCGs. Barrel for the LaFrance is available, too. The airsoft 607 stock is also available, even if I'm not building one yet. AR180 cone flash hider is OOS though.Trying to see if I can get a Griffin XM Linear Comp out of Canada, because I somehow think niche retro poo poo might not be in the pipe anytime soon. (Could always just get the solid fake moderator, but the 7.5/8" builds would probably benefit from a linear.)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Mambo No. 5 posted:

All I'll need is a barrel, gas system, and magazine.

A very cursory googler search found this https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/9x39

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Shaocaholica posted:

Hard how? On your own?

No, no, just to get a gunsmith to do it. Itís a standard service right?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Apollodorus posted:

how hard is it to get a low-profile flash hider pinned and welded on a 14.5Ē barrel anyway?

It's pretty simple edit: if you just want it to work. If you want it to look good, find an actual welder to do the work.

Drill a hole through your muzzle device (if it doesn't already have one) and chamfer it with a larger drill bit (just make a wider drilled area around the hole so your weld has a place to go, doesn't have to be deep), mount it and time it (use shims if it will be a suppressor mount), then drill a pilot hole through the muzzle device hole into your barrel threads, just deep enough to locate it. Remove your muzzle device, deepen the hole in your barrel as much as you think you need (try not to go through the barrel, though I hear that's not as big a deal accuracy-wise as you may think, though you may have a hard time keeping the pin in place), degrease everything really well (welding doesn't like contaminants), and reassemble your muzzle device making sure the hole in the muzzle device lines up with the hole in the barrel. Drop your pin through the muzzle device, tap it down into the blind hole in the barrel (I just use the shank of the drill bit I used to drill the holes, just cut it off with a Dremel cut off wheel after measuring it in the hole, it can be a big proud OR recessed, doesn't really seem to matter), and run a weld over it, making sure to cover the pin completely, but don't make it too big of a weld, just enough to cover and fuse the pin to the muzzle device. An auto-darkening welding hood is really recommended for this so you don't miss. And remember, if your last though before you strike your arc is "I can just close my eyes, it's a quick weld, I don't need to put on my hood," stop what you're doing and put on your hood.

Still perfectly usable after filing down the blob on the teeth, just ugly.

Looks and cleans up a lot better when I follow my own good advice.

Both done with a lovely Harbor Freight welder, the second one done with a Harbor Freight auto-darkening hood, and after practicing a few spot welds on some scrap metal, then filed and cold blued.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Wa11y posted:

And remember, if your last though before you strike your arc is "I can just close my eyes, it's a quick weld, I don't need to put on my hood," stop what you're doing and put on your hood.

Quoting for safety emphasis. Please dont let laziness be the last thing you see.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Oof, gotta build a pistol lower now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hm, Iím not sure I have much use for welding equipment though. Not enough to justify buying a new set of tools that I donít actually know how to use

Think I may just pay someone to do it...of course all this is predicated upon my actually finding a 14.5Ē lightweight barrel, since these days it seems like all thatís available are government-profile 1:7 ones.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Four equidistant tack welds or a seam weld of half circumference also meets ATF standards if you're worried about drilling through into the bore. More work to clean up, of course.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Wa11y posted:

And remember, if your last though before you strike your arc is "I can just close my eyes, it's a quick weld, I don't need to put on my hood," stop what you're doing and put on your hood.

Is it bright enough to go through your eyelids? I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just curious. Welding is cool

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Maybe not but its hot enough to go through your finger tips while you were doing the stupid not looking at the hot metal your playing with stunt

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

You also get zapped with UV and more likely to gently caress up your weld even if you don't hurt yourself

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just wear a loving hood. poo poo, my garbage Flux Core welder came with a cheap fold together mask. No excuse.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

I squinted AND looked away while just making quick tack welds so it was PERFECTLY safe!

Also, I was wearing welding gloves (NOT just leather work gloves, they are NOT the same thing!) so my hands were safe. I know how hot that stuff gets, I also have a heat shield on the back of my support glove.

But seriously, there's a LOT of good reasons to wear a hood when welding, and the only reason not to wear it is "I'm a dumbass."

Bright light and UV exposure (I've seen some REALLY bad sunburns caused by welding with just goggles, and one INCREDIBLY bad eye sunburn when a guy was rewelding a flange face, just starring at the welder all day long as it ran around on a turn table but OOPS! His welding lens had a scratch in it he wasn't aware of!), hot weld spatter, smoke and gasses, and that's just safety, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment.

Quality of your welds is another matter, you just can't get a good weld if you can't see what you're doing.

An auto-darkening welding hood is a huge improvement over the normal hoods that you have to line up your stinger THEN snap the whole hood down and hope your hand didn't move (or accidentally touch your welder before you get your hood down and flash yourself). At the time I did the first weld, all I had was a normal hood, and being dumb, I thought it would be better to not have to keep raising and lowering my hood. Remember, if your safety gear isn't working for you, don't ignore it, buy the right safety gear for your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I had a gunsmith gently caress up my first 14.5" barrel by drilling just too deep after taking almost a month to get it done.

I still have this barrel and I've been slowly buying parts to make a 13.7" gun with it. Still need a handguard and a muzzle device to bring it over 16".

Tactical dirt color AR family photo.