Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

SFH1989 posted:

I had a gunsmith gently caress up my first 14.5" barrel by drilling just too deep after taking almost a month to get it done.

I still have this barrel and I've been slowly buying parts to make a 13.7" gun with it. Still need a handguard and a muzzle device to bring it over 16".

That sucks but it can be fixed. Try tack welding to fill the hole, like others have said here make sure you look directly at the arc with your naked eye to ensure precision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

One of my classmates melted a contact while learning welding in vocational school

He wasn't very bright (but the arc he stared at was! )

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

14 pounds of 5.56 is on the way!

I should at least take a picture of the plastic bin with most of my parts collection in it or something.

Late edit: YIP YIP YIP chrome non-serrated retro BCG ordered!

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 10, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Apollodorus posted:

No, no, just to get a gunsmith to do it. Itís a standard service right?

Yeah its a very common service. I'd just pay a smith to do it if you have one locally.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Well I got a cheap 16Ē barrel to tide me over until I can actually source a lightweight 14.5Ē one, which I canít find anywhere for some ungodly reason.

Current plan is to build a new lightweight .223 Wylde on the KP-15 while doing an SBR Form 1 stamp to switch my current 5.56 with the heavy-rear end SOCOM barrel to a shorty .300 Blackout, then wait for a Form 4 to suppress it and in a year or two Iíll be blasting feral hogs verrrrrry quietly in the wee hours of the morning.

(I say Form 4 for the suppressor rather than Form 1 because Iím not sure I trust my own craftsmanship to convert a solvent trap into a suppressor that will hold up to centerfire rifle calibers...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Well I got a cheap 16Ē barrel to tide me over until I can actually source a lightweight 14.5Ē one, which I canít find anywhere for some ungodly reason.

Current plan is to build a new lightweight .223 Wylde on the KP-15 while doing an SBR Form 1 stamp to switch my current 5.56 with the heavy-rear end SOCOM barrel to a shorty .300 Blackout, then wait for a Form 4 to suppress it and in a year or two Iíll be blasting feral hogs verrrrrry quietly in the wee hours of the morning.

I'd suggest .458 SOCOM for subsonic hogbusting. Or supersonic hogbusting, for that matter.

Apollodorus posted:

(I say Form 4 for the suppressor rather than Form 1 because Iím not sure I trust my own craftsmanship to convert a solvent trap into a suppressor that will hold up to centerfire rifle calibers...)

It's entirely legal and possible to Form 1 the 'can', i.e. the housing and endcaps, then pay an 07 with a SOT to build the core for you. Once both endcaps are drilled it's legally a suppressor, and an 07 can work on it. I'm doing pretty much the same thing, but the guy's just boring my kit baffles instead of building the whole core from scratch.